P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I have an 'Omron' wrist monitor, it was recomended by the doctor as one of most accurate. I bought mine years ago from Boot's, but you can buy them now from Amazon and they are a good price too. 

Avril

How do these operate Avril, do you just wear it for a short period as you check your BP, or do you need to wear it all the time?

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Some doctors say there is no such thing as white coat syndrome. Luckily for me my doctor is also a sufferer, strange I know. I use a wrist monitor, it's much more comfortable. My doctor told me to take my blood pressure weekly and if it is high and stays consistently high  for 4 weeks to contact her, fortunately I've not have to do it, and once a year I send in my readings. It works well for me as it's more comfortable and less stressful at home.

Avril

I find it helpful to record such things on my phone. White coat syndrome exists for me as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Some doctors say there is no such thing as white coat syndrome. Luckily for me my doctor is also a sufferer, strange I know. I use a wrist monitor, it's much more comfortable. My doctor told me to take my blood pressure weekly and if it is high and stays consistently high  for 4 weeks to contact her, fortunately I've not have to do it, and once a year I send in my readings. It works well for me as it's more comfortable and less stressful at home.

Avril

My blood pressure is usually higher in the surgery, but I think it is more to do with the fact that I  usually run part way there as I am always late 🙂

Barbara

Edited by tring
  • Like 6

Wife had her e-mail from NHS to book booster even though she is not 65 and I have received nothing even though we are virtually same age only a couple of months difference. We have had all covid injections/boosters at the same time so tried to book wife online as per e-mail and it says cannot as not 65. So this morning rang 119 and was told not available under 65 unless you meet certain criteria, so I asked why she has received e-mail and was told it was just a reminder for when it is available for under 65s so I asked well why havent I received one to remind me even though e-mail says you can book and she went silent. So totally confusing and don't think the lady on 119 really knew.

I was once told during a medical for work that my blood pressure was low which can be as serious as high and was told not to move fast so been trying to keep them to there word for last 20years. Bit difficult though when you worked in an emergency service 😁.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

How do these operate Avril, do you just wear it for a short period as you check your BP, or do you need to wear it all the time?

No not at all John. They work the same way as the kind the doctors use. Just fasten  the monitor on your wrist with the velcro strap and press  a button. When the strap loosens, after  about 1min, read your blood pressure and heart rate. Simple. Full instructions come with the monitor. If I can do it anybody can. 

Avril

• Like 2

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Are you a sand dancer Graham?  I remember you posting pics of Azura when she was in Newcastle.  DH was brought up in Gosport near  Portsmouth.  His dad was from  a mining village near South Shields, but met his wife in Portsmouth during the war as he was in the navy.

The village was called Salmons Hall and was was within earshot of Souter light house.  He slept through it apparently 😃.  The whole village was demolished many years ago because of subsidence due to mine workings underneath.  Bit of an own goal really.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tring said:

Are you a sand dancer Graham?  I remember you posting pics of Azura when she was in Newcastle.  DH was brought up in Gosport near  Portsmouth.  His dad was from  a mining village near South Shields, but met his wife in Portsmouth during the war as he was in the navy.

The village was called Salmons Hall and was was within earshot of Souter light house.  He slept through it apparently 😃.  The whole village was demolished many years ago because of subsidence due to mine workings underneath.  Bit of an own goal really.

I'm from Sunderland and we are called Mackems.

Souter light house is between Whitburn and Marsden.

Sand dancers are from South Shields which is 15 minutes further up the coast from us.

South Shields beaches were voted some of the best in the UK.

IMG_20220810_114343.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

I had the hip procedure today and all is well.  I knew that these injections have to be done in theatre, but didn't expect all the caboodle that goes with that.  Saw some small theatre rooms on my way  down but we turned right and I found myself in a huge room swarming with people in masks.  But  it went well.   I fell asleep screeching with laughter as the anaesthetist told me a bit of a funny joke which I found hilarious at the time.

What a place, they made me feel like royalty.  I may hurt for a few days then hopefully all will be fine.   

White coat is real. It happens to me all the time.  At home top number about 140  today it went up to 203 at one stage.

I feel  a little bit too happy at the moment.. sedation still lurking.😀🤣

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 16

29 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I'm from Sunderland and we are called Mackems.

Souter light house is between Whitburn and Marsden.

Sand dancers are from South Shields which is 15 minutes further up the coast from us.

South Shields beaches were voted some of the best in the UK.

IMG_20220810_114343.jpg

Yes beautiful beaches with coal on some of them.  DH's dad said as kids they collected coal from the beach and were paid something per sack by the colliery.  I presume they paid the kids less than what they could sell coal for, hence worth them encouraging the miner's kids to collect the coal, so non mining families do not get freebies from the beach.  Miners were supplied with free coal as part of their employment. DH's grandad (the miner) died of chest problems fairly young though, which was quite common of course.  After the village was demolished, most of his dad's relatives moved to South Shields.  His dad told him there were a number of Arabs in the area, having sailed on ships to the area, and they got the name sand dancers.  DH tells me that Mackems were ship builders in the war - we mackem, they attack 'em.

Salmons Hall was near Marsden, but out in the sticks in those times.  Another story his dad told was if climbing a local hill at night and seeing, "Strange lights".  They did not know the sighting were what is now called the Northern lights at the time though.

Had our meal and couple of drinks, so need some sleep now, before flying to Malta tomorrow,

Barbara

Edited by tring
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, tring said:

Yes beautiful beaches with coal on some of them.  DH's dad said as kids they collected coal from the beach and were paid something per sack by the colliery.  I presume they paid the kids less than what they could sell coal for, hence worth them encouraging the miner's kids to collect the coal, so non mining families do not get freebies from the beach.  Miners were supplied with free coal as part of their employment. DH's grandad (the miner) died of chest problems fairly young though, which was quite common of course.  After the village was demolished, most of his dad's relatives moved to South Shields.  His dad told him there were a number of Arabs in the area, having sailed on ships to the area, and they got the name sand dancers.  DH tells me that Mackems were ship builders in the war - we mackem, they attack 'em.

Salmons Hall was near Marsden, but out in the sticks in those times.  Another story his dad told was if climbing a local hill at night and seeing, "Strange lights".  They did not know the sighting were what is now called the Northern lights at the time though.

Had our meal and couple of drinks, so need some sleep now, before flying to Malta tomorrow,

Barbara

At one time Sunderland was the largest shipbuilding town in the world.

My late dad worked in the shipyards.

I hope you have an amazing time and excellent cruise.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

No not at all John. They work the same way as the kind the doctors use. Just fasten  the monitor on your wrist with the velcro strap and press  a button. When the strap loosens, after  about 1min, read your blood pressure and heart rate. Simple. Full instructions come with the monitor. If I can do it anybody can. 

Avril

That sounds far better than the one I have which you fasten on your upper arm, I must look into it.

4 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I’ve got my second booster on Friday. Don’t particularly want it as I’ve been poorly after the other ones but hey ho. Things you have to do to be insured for these holidays. Both kids are now fully vaccinated. Not sure where to get the flu one I need from though - will have to google. 

Countdown for next holiday 23 days eek 😬 

So so poorly these last few days, nearly went to a&e at 1am this morning but managed to ride it out. I’m now quite drugged up but can still feel the pain, luckily have 5 more days off work. 

Hope everyone is having a good day 

look forward to reading about the azura and Britannia holidays you guys are going on this next week. 

Vamps - so sorry that you have been unwell.  Hopefully the protection you now have will make it all worthwhile. 

As you are so young compared to most of us here,  I dont think you qualify for the flu vaccination. You have to be over 55 I think.

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Wife had her e-mail from NHS to book booster even though she is not 65 and I have received nothing even though we are virtually same age only a couple of months difference. We have had all covid injections/boosters at the same time so tried to book wife online as per e-mail and it says cannot as not 65. So this morning rang 119 and was told not available under 65 unless you meet certain criteria, so I asked why she has received e-mail and was told it was just a reminder for when it is available for under 65s so I asked well why havent I received one to remind me even though e-mail says you can book and she went silent. So totally confusing and don't think the lady on 119 really knew.

Try a walk in clinic, go on the app as if you were booking a appointment and scroll down to find walk in clinics and put in your post code for nearest one , you have to be over 50 to have one , that’s what me and my husband did as we are not 65 yet still got a few years to reach that and try and go first thing in the morning.

Our nearest one was 23 miles away but we made a day trip out of it and we always get ours done together for remembering dates etc .

Hi all,bit groggy this morning.Our Russian neighbours invited us to dinner with vodka toasts every few mouthfuls.Even though he's a retired special forces colonel the W word was never mentioned thank God.When I said I was 70 next month they said oh you're the same age as Putin.Yeah great,lol.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Try a walk in clinic, go on the app as if you were booking a appointment and scroll down to find walk in clinics and put in your post code for nearest one , you have to be over 50 to have one , that’s what me and my husband did as we are not 65 yet still got a few years to reach that and try and go first thing in the morning.

Our nearest one was 23 miles away but we made a day trip out of it and we always get ours done together for remembering dates etc .

I don't know what the situation is in other areas but here on Tuesday we were told not to do any walk ins because we had only had enough vaccines for people who had an appointment.  The vaccine for over 65s and overs is different to the vaccine for under 65s and again only enough vaccines for under 65s with vulnerabilities who had appointments were delivered.  I was the unlucky person who was called a "Stupid B***h" on Monday by a woman who had no appointment so couldn't have a vaccination. 

It was much more flexible in the previous rounds of vaccination and people still think that it is still the same.

This is one reason why I have come to the decision to stop working as a vaccine volunteer ( the other reason is that I have a bruise on my leg where an elderly man poked me with his walking stick to get my attention when I was dealing with another person ).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I don't know what the situation is in other areas but here on Tuesday we were told not to do any walk ins because we had only had enough vaccines for people who had an appointment.  The vaccine for over 65s and overs is different to the vaccine for under 65s and again only enough vaccines for under 65s with vulnerabilities who had appointments were delivered.  I was the unlucky person who was called a "Stupid B***h" on Monday by a woman who had no appointment so couldn't have a vaccination. 

It was much more flexible in the previous rounds of vaccination and people still think that it is still the same.

This is one reason why I have come to the decision to stop working as a vaccine volunteer ( the other reason is that I have a bruise on my leg where an elderly man poked me with his walking stick to get my attention when I was dealing with another person ).

Im so sorry to hear this josy about the abuse that you have had to put up with over the time of your volunteering, there are many obnoxious people around who think that they are entitled to everything . You are right that centres have only so many spare injections for walk ins and we nearly got turned away at 11 o’clock, they were stating no more walk ins today but I said to the car park man ( nicely) that we’d come from Bournemouth to bath race course to have it done and he waved us through then so we were very happy to have it done as we go away on holiday soon , we were all mixed ages there over 65s and down to children, I have asthma so pleased to get it , it looked like we were all getting the same jabs because of 1 que and then just sent to booths , we had the spikevax with the two omicron variations one . 
I do hope you stay because people like you are gold to us with all your help , I appreciate you and what you do , but it’s your decision and you’ve done your bit . Take care

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Im so sorry to hear this josy about the abuse that you have had to put up with over the time of your volunteering, there are many obnoxious people around who think that they are entitled to everything . You are right that centres have only so many spare injections for walk ins and we nearly got turned away at 11 o’clock, they were stating no more walk ins today but I said to the car park man ( nicely) that we’d come from Bournemouth to bath race course to have it done and he waved us through then so we were very happy to have it done as we go away on holiday soon , we were all mixed ages there over 65s and down to children, I have asthma so pleased to get it , it looked like we were all getting the same jabs because of 1 que and then just sent to booths , we had the spikevax with the two omicron variations one . 
I do hope you stay because people like you are gold to us with all your help , I appreciate you and what you do , but it’s your decision and you’ve done your bit . Take care

The abuse that we receive is from a very small number of people but everyday there are 1 or 2 and over almost 2 years that adds up.  The sad thing is that it is mainly older people the young people are usually much more easy going and happy to wait a few minutes.

I am working at the food bank this morning and apart from one or two who will moan because we don't have their preferred cereal or toiletries we can almost guarantee that people will be happy that they will have some food for their family and most of these people have much harder lives than most of us but they try to look on the bright side.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

A terrible attitude from a minority.  Personally, regarding the idiot hitting you with a stick, I would be presenting myself at the local police station to make a report and have the bruise photographed.  Common assault and all that.  People like him can get their booster via the prison service.  

You have the patience of a saint, unlike those you have been helping.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3