P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

22 minutes ago, kalos said:

Pretty bomb proof here 😊 We have a turkey crown in the freezer.

We have enough farms and markets nearby who sell turkeys.

As a back up, our local pub sells wild turkey 😉

@Adawn47  Your fan club awaits you 😊 Hope all is well with you .

We will wander down to the shops lunchtime. Lunch in Costa then pop into Waitrose to look at the Christmas stuff. After the financial statement on Thursday we may go back down and buy something...........but probably see if they have any preowned turkeys on ebay.

Predictive thinks I want a prowled turkey.🤣

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Poor little turkeys aren't exactly over the moon either.😉

We always avoid turkey... not out of generosity to allow those who like that as a dinner have their fill... we just don't like it.

Folk can go into restaurants these days will all manner of dietary requests but try going into someplace at Christmas and asking for some other meat apart from turkey! We've been offered sea-bass, vegetarian stuffed aubergine and vegan nut-cutlets. All very nice but not really what we would count as a celebration meal.

When I was about four I was attacked by a "Bubbly Jock." (It's Scots for a Turkey... we don't all speak the Gaelic or the Billy Connolliese!) It ripped me from the forehead to the chin and made quite a mess of my face... all healed very nicely and no scar! At the time my Dadie (grandad) thought that I'd lost an eye... I hadn't... but the right eye is still a bit dodgy a loooooooong time later. The "Bubbly Jock" was totally unscathed!

The turkey in question was about 4 foot tall.... it was much taller and heavier than me when I was four... so  "poor and little" don't instantly come to my mind!

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We always avoid turkey... not out of generosity to allow those who like that as a dinner have their fill... we just don't like it.

Folk can go into restaurants these days will all manner of dietary requests but try going into someplace at Christmas and asking for some other meat apart from turkey! We've been offered sea-bass, vegetarian stuffed aubergine and vegan nut-cutlets. All very nice but not really what we would count as a celebration meal.

When I was about four I was attacked by a "Bubbly Jock." (It's Scots for a Turkey... we don't all speak the Gaelic or the Billy Connolliese!) It ripped me from the forehead to the chin and made quite a mess of my face... all healed very nicely and no scar! At the time my Dadie (grandad) thought that I'd lost an eye... I hadn't... but the right eye is still a bit dodgy a loooooooong time later. The "Bubbly Jock" was totally unscathed!

The turkey in question was about 4 foot tall.... it was much taller and heavier than me when I was four... so  "poor and little" don't instantly come to my mind!

Sorry about your injury and glad you healed. Are you sure it was a turkey and not a bloke in a turkey suit?. That's quite common I understand.🤣

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks - I could get that from Ocado if I could bring myself to use them again. Waitrose also do one, but the Head Chef informs me that it’s not as good as the Jus-Rol all butter.

A couple of years back we had to use the ordinary version. Never again. Makes a huge difference to home made sausage rolls - sausages supplied by a proper butcher. After years of buying supermarket sausages, even from Waitrose and M&S, we discovered that by comparison with real butchers’ sausages (choose carefully!) they’re all pretty dull and bland. And they deliver!

We always go for free range sausages. We prefer those that rummage around in the forest and eat acorns. In our local sausage farm you can visit in September and pick out chipolatas for fattening up.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sorry about your injury and glad you healed. Are you sure it was a turkey and not a bloke in a turkey suit?. That's quite common I understand.🤣

Pretty sure... in those far off days "Turkey Suits" were delightful embroidered trousers and waistcoats, white shirts, colourful waist-sashes and really snazzy head dresses! Remember seeing them on the packets of "Turkish Delight" at Christmas... and anyway at four... I wasn't allowed access to the "spirt o' the glens!" 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

4 foot sweaty sock.Gotta be Jimmy Crancky.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, pete14 said:

It may be a good idea to check that bird flu has not caused your local farm to cull all of it’s turkeys. With more than a month until the big day, it is quite possible that many customers will be disappointed ☹️

They’re ok at the moment! Wouldn’t be the end of the world for us though (although terrible for the farmer) as we have plenty of frozen meat including half a pig and half a lamb again from local farms. 

• Like 1

Our neighbours farm is raising turkeys, geese, ducks & chickens, last year they had 300 turkeys, but could only get 100 chicks this year, so definitely a shortage. There’s actually 1/2 the turkey butterfly  I bought last Xmas from our local butcher, it was larger than I wanted as we have pork, but I like to have some turkey for cold, so I chopped it in half & there it still is. I’ve done that before as I’m not very good at asking for half! 😬, he’s a great butcher & always goes out of his way to choose a decent cut. I end up coming with what feels like half a pig at Xmas with sausage meat & chipolattas. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

Our neighbours farm is raising turkeys, geese, ducks & chickens, last year they had 300 turkeys, but could only get 100 chicks this year, so definitely a shortage. There’s actually 1/2 the turkey butterfly  I bought last Xmas from our local butcher, it was larger than I wanted as we have pork, but I like to have some turkey for cold, so I chopped it in half & there it still is. I’ve done that before as I’m not very good at asking for half! 😬, he’s a great butcher & always goes out of his way to choose a decent cut. I end up coming with what feels like half a pig at Xmas with sausage meat & chipolattas. 

We get turkey all year round in Italy.Never whole though just pieces.Love it in a nice healthy lean stew.

• Like 2

Just got back from meeting a friend for coffee, didn't realise how long it was since we last got together for a chat😲. Everytime we meet up we say we must get together more often and them time passes. This time we have set a date to meet up again before Christmas!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I’m home now, thanks for all the birthday wishes. We went up the i360 tower in Brighton that is a pod that rises up a pole! It was good.

Then we went to the marina for lunch before popping into my parents on the way home.

DE5C85CB-5FB8-4229-84CD-FE5A7590C5A0.jpeg

3F341B26-D6CB-43A3-AB2B-01A80D7CEBF9.jpeg

37E2DC73-0C89-4443-AAC1-EFBCE256D1D6.jpeg

03F90F9B-9108-43D8-B2C1-77D87B0CE4AC.jpeg

Glad you had a good day out at my old stomping ground. Nice photos from the doughnut-on-a-stick 😀.

• Thanks 1

Hope everyone is well and enjoys their day.

Another day of sunshine and showers here by the look of it. The sun is shining at the minute but it was proceeded by a hefty downpour. 

Meeting another friend for coffee this morning, I would walk, but in this weather I would probably get drowned before I get to the end of the road!!

• Like 6