P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Moving on...........anyone old enough to remember either of these?   Those Kunzle cakes were good!

No photo description available.

Fry's 5 boys milk chocolate shabby chic vintage style picture metal wall plaque sign (280mm x 200mm)

Oh my, Kunzle cakes. I do remember those. Mum would buy them often when I was young. A big chocolate cup with a small piece of sponge in the bottom, and filled to top with a flavoured synthetic cream. Full of sugar, fats, colours, and  flavourings.  Pure heaven for kids.🤭

My arteries are cringing at the memory🥴

Avril

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I remember the 5 boys chocolate but not either of the cakes.

After a thoroughly miserable, wet day yesterday, today was mild and dry with quite a lot of sunshine. Got some odds and ends done this morning and then went into town to sort my Christmas shopping. Between M&S, a festive stall, WH Smith and Tesco, managed to get everyone sorted. Also got a couple of extra winter shirts, one in M&S and the other in Tesco. Had lunch in my favourite 'greasy spoon'. Also bought next year's Christmas Cards in the British Heart Foundation shop. All half-price so I gave them a donation too. They seem to have pretty good cards there every year.

A quiet night in beckons.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I hope that she has managed to get the antibiotics by the time you see her.  It's worrying that the pharmacies are running out of medicines especially for children.

My daughter managed to get antibiotics for him after ringing 15 pharmacies 

What a relief, he should start to feel better soon

Michelle

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

@Peanut006 thank goodness antibiotics have been found, what a worry! I’m glad my 2 are adults (almost) now, this time of year was always a worry with bad chests. Oddly my youngest had scarlet fever in July one year & I remember panicking having read little women & famous five! he was fine with 10 days of antibiotics thankfully. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

My daughter managed to get antibiotics for him after ringing 15 pharmacies 

What a relief, he should start to feel better soon

Michelle

Glad to hear your daughter managed to get some antibiotics for your grandson. Hope they work quickly and he feels a lot better soon.

I remember Kunzle cakes, I liked them  but don't remember the five boys chocolate. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Oh my, Kunzle cakes. I do remember those. Mum would buy them often when I was young. A big chocolate cup with a small piece of sponge in the bottom, and filled to top with a flavoured synthetic cream. Full of sugar, fats, colours, and  flavourings.  Pure heaven for kids.🤭

My arteries are cringing at the memory🥴

Avril

You were lucky to have a mum who would buy them for you.  My mum baked cakes but never bought cakes so I never sampled any "shop bought" cakes when I was a child and dad used to bake pies for us because he was a fantastic pastry cook.

• Like 3

I remember the name - Kunzle cakes - but don't remember ever having any.  Were they distributed all round England?  Or maybe they were expensive, and my mother decided we couldn't afford them!

So pleased the antibiotics were finally found, Michelle.  I feel sure they will guarantee a good recovery now.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I remember the name - Kunzle cakes - but don't remember ever having any.  Were they distributed all round England?  Or maybe they were expensive, and my mother decided we couldn't afford them!

So pleased the antibiotics were finally found, Michelle.  I feel sure they will guarantee a good recovery now.

https://www.davidpilling.com/wiki/index.php/Kunzle

This guy seems to be an expert!  They weren't cheap, but they were affordable as a treat - 6d (2.5p) or so in the 1960s as I recall.  Produced in Birmingham, and probably particularly popular around there.  Swiss in origin, but taken over by Lyons until they dropped them.  Probably didn't adapt well to mechanised production, so became uneconomic to make.

A real treat to anyone with a sweet tooth - a solid chocolate shell, with sweet gooey stuff in the middle.  

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 4

I vaguely remember the chocolate bar with the boy on it ,to be honest i never kept one long 

enough to study it ..wrapper off and gone .

I like finding out about cakes of a bygone era and not just the ones from our younger years ,

cakes go back a lot more than that .People used to get entombed with their favourite cakes!

A few years ago there was reports that a mummy has just been discovered in Egypt covered in chocolate and nuts.

Archaeologists believe it may be the Pharaoh Roche.😂😂😉
  • Like 2
  • Haha 17

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

https://www.davidpilling.com/wiki/index.php/Kunzle

A real treat to anyone with a sweet tooth - a solid chocolate shell, with sweet gooey stuff in the middle.  

I loved Kunzle cakes!  In the mid sixties my friends and I went to Saturday morning art class in St Helens town centre.  A nearby coffee shop used to sell them so sometimes at break, we treated ourselves  to one with a frothy coffee in a glass cup and saucer. It felt very sophisticated! Or a Coca Cola in its fancy bottle for 10d.  

I recall being horrified, when on a school trip to Switzerland the following year, finding that the cost of a coke was a Swiss Franc, and at that time that translated to 2/6d 😱.  For youngsters here, that translates to three times the price 😁

I also remember 5 Boys chocolate bars. My own favourite chocolate bar was a 6d Cadbury’s bar with 6 different fillings in the squares, the best one being Turkish Delight.  On the other hand I disliked Fry’s chocolate cream bars and still dislike a Cadbury’s creme egg even now.

That was a nice memory Lane trip, so thanks Harry.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I loved Kunzle cakes!  In the mid sixties my friends and I went to Saturday morning art class in St Helens town centre.  A nearby coffee shop used to sell them so sometimes at break, we treated ourselves  to one with a frothy coffee in a glass cup and saucer. It felt very sophisticated! Or a Coca Cola in its fancy bottle for 10d.  

I recall being horrified, when on a school trip to Switzerland the following year, finding that the cost of a coke was a Swiss Franc, and at that time that translated to 2/6d 😱.  For youngsters here, that translates to three times the price 😁

I also remember 5 Boys chocolate bars. My own favourite chocolate bar was a 6d Cadbury’s bar with 6 different fillings in the squares, the best one being Turkish Delight.  On the other hand I disliked Fry’s chocolate cream bars and still dislike a Cadbury’s creme egg even now.

That was a nice memory Lane trip, so thanks Harry.

The milk tray chocolate bars were also a favourite for me as a special treat to myself, closely followed by the bars with layers or milk, white and plain chocolate on top of each other that I only seemed to be able to get from the vending machine of the swimming baths. 

• Like 5

You may remember some time ago when an Officer drove into our garden wall causing a lot of damage.  We are still trying to find out the outcome, considering everything was admitted and he invited me to the pub straight away, then left the scene.  Apparently we are not privy to Police information at this time!

Just wanted to tell you the insurance outcome.  Our new quote is nearly double.   £350 extra in fact  The Insurance Company have told us that we are now High Risk.

How can that be.. we were innocent.  It was him who was doing 60plus in a 20 zone and turned a circle trying not to crash.  In normal circumstances a driver coming from that direction would have hit the wall opposite.   Our frontage is  behind a green and behind a slip road, so the main road is not a problem we are well away from it.  The only traffic past our house is for our small slip/service road.

A small increase we would take on the chin but from £400 to over £750  Ouch!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

You were lucky to have a mum who would buy them for you.  My mum baked cakes but never bought cakes so I never sampled any "shop bought" cakes when I was a child and dad used to bake pies for us because he was a fantastic pastry cook.

My mum always baked too, but the kunzle cakes were a treat. We would look forward to them on birthdays, christmas, easter and so on. 

Avril

• Like 4

7 hours ago, indiana123 said:

You may remember some time ago when an Officer drove into our garden wall causing a lot of damage.  We are still trying to find out the outcome, considering everything was admitted and he invited me to the pub straight away, then left the scene.  Apparently we are not privy to Police information at this time!

Just wanted to tell you the insurance outcome.  Our new quote is nearly double.   £350 extra in fact  The Insurance Company have told us that we are now High Risk.

How can that be.. we were innocent.  It was him who was doing 60plus in a 20 zone and turned a circle trying not to crash.  In normal circumstances a driver coming from that direction would have hit the wall opposite.   Our frontage is  behind a green and behind a slip road, so the main road is not a problem we are well away from it.  The only traffic past our house is for our small slip/service road.

How can that be justified when it was totally not your fault? The world has gone crazy

Michelle

• Like 7

8 hours ago, indiana123 said:

That is ridiculous but in a strangely warped way it is understandable. The fact it happened once, regardless of the circumstances and whose fault it was, shows that it can happen and therefore could happen again. The fact that presumably the driver’s insurance company paid to repair any damage doesn’t alter the fact (in their eyes). Have you considered changing your insurer at renewal to a company who don’t think you are high risk?

Edited by pete14
  • Like 5

I am never loyal to any company, they are not to you. I change all my insurances and utilities regularly. Comparison site are good and cash back sites. I have just changed my car insurance. Quote to renew was £256, different company, same cover, £218 and £40 cash back. My current cashback is £2620 in four years.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I am never loyal to any company, they are not to you. I change all my insurances and utilities regularly. Comparison site are good and cash back sites. I have just changed my car insurance. Quote to renew was £256, different company, same cover, £218 and £40 cash back. My current cashback is £2620 in four years.

Same here, these companies rely on apathy to overcharge. There are usually plenty of offers too, I keep tabs on the various money supermarket type sites when renewals are due, us Yorkshire men are not too keen on overspending.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

Same here, these companies rely on apathy to overcharge. There are usually plenty of offers too, I keep tabs on the various money supermarket type sites when renewals are due, us Yorkshire men are not too keen on overspending.

Not a Yorkshireman although I have adopted the County !  A friend makes money by changing banks. He tells me he has received nearly £1000 in three years by changing his current account.

• Like 1