P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

It is now pouring down here after a crisp bright start to the day. We had a run to J32 for breakfast, albeit we had to wait till 10:00 for Costa to open who usually open at 09:00. It was very busy too. Friends for dinner later then my favourite daughters tomorrow, bit like being back onboard ship for a couple of days. Enjoy your boxing day whatever you choose, remember only 364 sleeps to Christmas, unless of course you are an insomniac, then there are 17.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Lovely and sunny today but cold and breezy. It's calmed down a lot since the very strong winds we had in the early hours. Any leaves that were still clinging to the trees are now long gone.

Our Boxing Day dinner is Bubble and Squeak with cold turkey and pickles,  followed by the remaining warmed christmas pudding and Bailey's thick cream. So really a meal of leftovers, but lovely nontheless🤭

Have a good day everyone.

Avril

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

unless of course you are an insomniac, then there are 17.

Yep, that's me ok..... Christmas Eve I went to bed loads of times but no good so got up.  No sleep at all.  I think I got through yesterday purely on adrenaline.

We like either turkey stew or cold meat and pickles on Boxing day but OH's niece has invited us over so although I have made the stew (and it smells gorgeous) we will have it tomorrow.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have just eaten our lunch of Turkey, chips and salad followed by a slice of chocolate log and a cup of tea.

This is our traditional boxing day lunch as it was in my parents house.  DH's family Boxing Day lunch was what the rest of us call Christmas Dinner because his mother used to work every Christmas Day. 

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Good morning ,it's a cool Boxing day morning 2.c 

I'm looking forward to our Boxing day dinner later today which is traditionally in our house 

Turkey Chips and Peas , with various pickles . 

I have always looked forward to this dish each year . 

What's your  meal today ? anyone else going cold turkey ? 😊

I'm very much liking this idea of cold turkey with chips!  I'm not sure I can sell it to my wife though - but I'm certainly going to try!!!

It's all about family traditions, isn't it, Christmas?  Ours involve what was described at the time as a very small 'rude' singing mouse, bought on eBay 13 years ago.  He comes out once a year only, on Christmas Day, and then goes back in the drawer in shame for next year.  We've had to WhatsApp this year's performance to our children for their joint Christmas do over the next three days because he's so missed!  I think I'll have to add a codicil to the wills to make sure he lives on.......

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'm very much liking this idea of cold turkey with chips!  I'm not sure I can sell it to my wife though - but I'm certainly going to try!!!

It's all about family traditions, isn't it, Christmas?  Ours involve what was described at the time as a very small 'rude' singing mouse, bought on eBay 13 years ago.  He comes out once a year only, on Christmas Day, and then goes back in the drawer in shame for next year.  We've had to WhatsApp this year's performance to our children for their joint Christmas do over the next three days because he's so missed!  I think I'll have to add a codicil to the wills to make sure he lives on.......

Hands up all those who want to see a recording of Harry's singing mouse.🤣

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

Not Christmassy but same kind of family thing.

Years ago I went to Kefalonia with my daughter, sil and grandkids. Passing a newsagents I offered them an icecream. One grandson said "Nan there's a Haagan Das shop up the road. " Silly Nanny said ok and off we trouped.

I walked in to order 6 cornets  but was handed  a menu, as were the others, and they all sat down.   A slap up feast of ice creams etc followed and I got a bill for £47🤣 which would probably be over 100 now.  As they have grown up they still laugh and relate it to their now partners.

Anyway, now it's a family tradition that they need Haagen Das money when they go on holiday, whether in pairs or in a group.  I forgot once  and there were tears and heartbreak and they were all bitterly disappointed. 🤣🤣 They don't all get 47 quid though!!!!!🥰

• Like 5

I finally got tired of the Christmas tree getting in my way when I was cleaning so it has gone back up into the loft.  I just sent a photo to my niece's daughter to let her know because she moaned at me for being slow to put the tree up. I left the cards up because they don't take up much space.

Before and after pics 🤣

20221217_083316.jpg

20221226_155253.jpg

• Like 1

We used to have a large Christmas tree that was really too big for our room until one 

day at a garden centre we saw a fully decorated fibre optic tree with changing colours .

This tree is put up/ taken down  in minutes , we love it .

We set off collecting Christmas tea lights and love to see them lit with the fire and the tree

at night , very pretty and a cosy look .

Ours will be taken down on the 5th January causing the room to look bare until we get 

used to them being stored away .

20221224_171242.thumb.jpg.941be96d120611137c740d3b0b30b59e.jpg

• Like 11

I have had a quiet word with Mouse about the possibility of his making an internet debut in this esteemed organ, assuring him as I did so that fame and limitless fortunes would undoubtedly follow soon after.

He mused for a minute or two, muttering something about promenade decks paved with gold and Strictly opportunities with Helen Skelton, but then fell asleep.  When he woke up again, some time later, we distinctly heard him quietly murmuring something about treacle wells, and I had to remind him again about his impending stardom.

Sadly, though, he said that he'd have to decline the kind invitation (though he said Helen Skelton had been quite a draw after his earlier incident with Valerie Singleton) for fear of tarnishing his previously unblemished public image.

[And also because I might get kicked off the forum for inappropriate behaviour by a mouse with a certain reputation already for unclear diction!]

• Haha 17

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I have had a quiet word with Mouse about the possibility of his making an internet debut in this esteemed organ, assuring him as I did so that fame and limitless fortunes would undoubtedly follow soon after.

He mused for a minute or two, muttering something about promenade decks paved with gold and Strictly opportunities with Helen Skelton, but then fell asleep.  When he woke up again, some time later, we distinctly heard him quietly murmuring something about treacle wells, and I had to remind him again about his impending stardom.

Sadly, though, he said that he'd have to decline the kind invitation (though he said Helen Skelton had been quite a draw after his earlier incident with Valerie Singleton) for fear of tarnishing his previously unblemished public image.

[And also because I might get kicked off the forum for inappropriate behaviour by a mouse with a certain reputation already for unclear diction!]

I respect your mouse's decision but must admit to being disappointed.  DW was disappointed that she hadn't seen a moose in our trip through the rockies and Alaska. Disappointment continued through Nova scotia. In Lunenburg I visited the cloakroom

Lo and behold.

IMG_20190628_120052.jpg

• Haha 14

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry - I'm impressed that you know who Helen Skelton is !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I respect your mouse's decision but must admit to being disappointed.  DW was disappointed that she hadn't seen a moose in our trip through the rockies and Alaska. Disappointment continued through Nova scotia. In Lunenburg I visited the cloakroom

Lo and behold.

IMG_20190628_120052.jpg

Loads of them around,they mix quite well.

• Haha 7

Morning all, we had the usual madness at our son’s on Christmas Day with a very excited 4 year old! Then yesterday we had my parents over for our traditional Boxing Day meal which was cold chicken and ham, mashed potatoes and various pickles and a very nice chutney.

We then watched Liverpool on Amazon, luckily I can get it on my tv now. My mum didn’t like that Liverpool were wearing green as she struggled to see them against the grass 😆

John is back to work today, I should be tomorrow but I’ve lost my voice today 😱 so not sure I’ll make it! I had a sore throat Christmas Eve then through sheer force of will was ok the next two days - but now this 😳

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

My mum didn’t like that Liverpool were wearing green as she struggled to see them against the grass 😆

Especially as they spend so much time rolling about on it, it must be really agonising have your shirt pulled these days😁

Its wet and cold again here, I am ready for another cruise, it did start snowing yesterday evening but didn't settle. We went to friends for tea and I managed to put the same weight on as I did on our recent cruise, but hey ho.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Alright own up, who left the rappers in the tin????'

• Haha 15

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Especially as they spend so much time rolling about on it, it must be really agonising have your shirt pulled these days😁

Its wet and cold again here, I am ready for another cruise, it did start snowing yesterday evening but didn't settle. We went to friends for tea and I managed to put the same weight on as I did on our recent cruise, but hey ho.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Alright own up, who left the rappers in the tin????'

Nah not the LFC players 😉

• Haha 1

Anyone else enjoy the Christmas ‘Detectorists’ special last night on BBC2?  Sheer, beautiful, perfectly cast, written and performed genius, just like the series’.

Best thing this Christmas, although the documentary about the making of the Snowman 40 years ago was excellent too. Our little daughter grew up to a background of wonderful Channel 4 children’s programming in the early 80s with things like Snowman and Ivor Cutler. Always ready to take a chance, and still profitable too. Who remembers the name of the boy singing the main theme in the original Snowman  film?

After streaming issues on Christmas Day, managed to watch Everton  v Wolves yesterday, and it’s excellent finish, well for me it was.

Watched Knives Out film last night throughly enjoyed it, won’t say too much if you haven’t seen it, stars Daniel Craig, Chris Evan, Jamie Lee Curtis, Don Johnson & Ana de Armas. it’s a mixture of Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, Murder She Wrote, with a comedy element. 

Will be watching The Glass Onion:A Knives Out Mystery this evening.

Off later for a visit to Attingham Park, should have gone last Wednesday but the heavy rain ended that as couldn’t do any of the walks.

• Like 1