P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

I defected to Simon and Garfunkel on Sky Arts, I am afraid.  Less colourful than Eurovision, but dare I say more talented.

Oh wander ... all in good fun 

• Like 1

I had a lovely surprise last evening when the 2 little girls who live in our close delivered homemade thank you cards to me because when we cleared our garage out last week I gave them the child sized garden chairs that used to belong to my niece's  children. 

It was lovely to get the cards because most children we know either phone or text to say thank you, it is rare to get a thank you card from them.20230514_073653.thumb.jpg.76cc9ae9955c6bf0962444653e16652e.jpg

• Like 10

57 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Now at Man airport, boarding soon for flight to Tokyo to join QE. Please be nice while I am away. I will trying update when I can.

Have a great trip - Japan is so interesting.  I am in Athens ready to board MSC Musica this afternoon with my daughter (her first cruise).   Good trips to those boarding in Southampton today too!  🛳️😎

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Have a great trip - Japan is so interesting.  I am in Athens ready to board MSC Musica this afternoon with my daughter (her first cruise).   Good trips to those boarding in Southampton today too!  🛳️😎

Best wishes for a fantastic cruise.

• Like 1

Morning everyone , That busy watching Eurovision I forgot my Ramipril tablet last night.

Never mind I will get by for 12 hours and take the next one instead.

Once we saw Bjorn out of Abba and he said "it's our 50th anniversary next year "

We should have known who was going to be the next host and winner of the contest .

The fact they had Catherine Tate as our rep was great but they should have had her

as Nan " I FORT HOWER GURL WAS LUVERLEE,, How many points .. WHAT A 

LOAD OF OF OLD .."

Or as Lauren Cooper    " We lost but ask me if I'm bovererd ? Cos I AINT BOVERERD 

ALWIGHT " 🙃

Have a good day and @yorkshirephil & @Ilovemygarden enjoy your time away 🙂

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I had a lovely surprise last evening when the 2 little girls who live in our close delivered homemade thank you cards to me because when we cleared our garage out last week I gave them the child sized garden chairs that used to belong to my niece's  children. 

It was lovely to get the cards because most children we know either phone or text to say thank you, it is rare to get a thank you card from them.20230514_073653.thumb.jpg.76cc9ae9955c6bf0962444653e16652e.jpg

That’s nice. What really bothers me these days is the number of children who rarely leave their houses and spend all their time on various electronic devices. We used to see loads around the village, but hardly any now. And the ones you do see seem terrified of adults. I do wonder about their social skills when they’re going to really need them.

Our kids growing up here knew everyone and wandered around everywhere. It’s no less safe now, but perceptions have changed.

• Like 4

A small person in my family was born  in covid times, and met hardly anyone for over a year.  She is now well over 2, and although advanced in many ways and obviously intelligent does not talk in short sentences yet, and is not good at relating to other than her parents.  I think the dreaded bug has a huge amount to answer for for every generation, including schoolchildren, students and the elderly who were already somewhat housebound.  

• Like 9

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Now at Man airport, boarding soon for flight to Tokyo to join QE. Please be nice while I am away. I will trying update when I can.

@yorkshirephil: best wishes to you and Mrs YP for a fantastic trip. It should be amazing! Jane xxx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just back from a break in Cornwall... a  place with not so many tourists that we regularly go to recharge the batteries... lots of walking, lots of lovely wild flowers, lots of birds... and not a cafe or a pasty in sight. 

What some people do to avoid the Eurovision hype!

_DSC7776.thumb.jpeg.35cb307d5885fb03be8a109f4473cd06.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s nice. What really bothers me these days is the number of children who rarely leave their houses and spend all their time on various electronic devices. We used to see loads around the village, but hardly any now. And the ones you do see seem terrified of adults. I do wonder about their social skills when they’re going to really need them.

Our kids growing up here knew everyone and wandered around everywhere. It’s no less safe now, but perceptions have changed.

Gone are the days Harry, when we could pack up a bottle of pop, a jam sandwich and wander off for a 'picnic' with our friends during school holidays without a care in the world.

The safety of our children is just as important now as it was when we, and our children were young. We were taught to be careful around strangers, crossing busy roads, the danger of rivers and lakes etc, but we were allowed to be children. We could play in playgrounds climb trees and experience all the rough and tumble of play that children should. We fell, we got up, we got a cut or graze, we stuck a plaster on. It taught us all an invaluable lesson early in life that if you fall, you get up, brush yourself off and carry on.

Maybe I'm old fashioned or just plain naive but imo, children should not be cocooned in cottonwool and protected from a normal childhood. That won't build a strong character that will help them navigate the problems that they will face later in life.

Well that was a long ramble, sorry🤐

Avril

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Maybe ,or maybe not ,our world is not what it used to be .

As a kid I would wander over endless cow fields and corn and barley, we had space to play .

These days I cannot show my Grandkids these places as they are now massive housing

estates .They are still taking green belt now and it's more private than council.

The parks used to be kept in mint condition, these days it seems the bare minimum ,looking 

after them . The last time I walked by one of our parks ,there was nitrous oxide canisters 

littering the place .

Most people in our town do not go to the town centre as there is not much unless you 

like Bet Freds /Charity shops and a load of to let signs in shop windows .

I used to love our town centre in my younger years .

It's a bit bleak unless you live in some leafy suburb out in the sticks where you can watch your kids but I totally get why most parents are happy to keep their kids close by these days.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

Maybe ,or maybe not ,our world is not what it used to be .

As a kid I would wander over endless cow fields and corn and barley, we had space to play .

These days I cannot show my Grandkids these places as they are now massive housing

estates .They are still taking green belt now and it's more private than council.

The parks used to be kept in mint condition, these days it seems the bare minimum ,looking 

after them . The last time I walked by one of our parks ,there was nitrous oxide canisters 

littering the place .

Most people in our town do not go to the town centre as there is not much unless you 

like Bet Freds /Charity shops and a load of to let signs in shop windows .

I used to love our town centre in my younger years .

It's a bit bleak unless you live in some leafy suburb out in the sticks where you can watch your kids but I totally get why most parents are happy to keep their kids close by these days.

I think you may have forgotten to include the punchline because there is nothing funny in your post🥴

Edited by pete14
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I think you may have forgotten to include the punchline because there is nothing funny in your post🥴

Look at it this way.. Why does gallows humour not always have a punchline?

Sometimes, they just prefer to keep you hanging.🙃

• Haha 12

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Googling your itinerary,you must be touring Japan for a while,hope you have a great time.We had a day in Nagasaki once.When you get to Alaska I hope they do the King crab legs and wild salmon in the MDR and buffet,Brian.

• Like 2