P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

And the best bit would be that he rest of us could just sit and enjoy our meal and the craic from kalos; I think he could keep us amused for a lot of dinners.

We would certainly go home slimmer than when we arrived. We'd be laughing so much we'd hardly eat anything. 

Avril

• Like 8

Ever felt a right Charlie!!!!   Felt really silly tonight..

Since having the vascular  surgery for blocked leg arteries a while ago where they went in the groins and put in four stents, I have been a bit careful when drying after a shower, and was a bit worried in case my exercising damaged anything in the upper leg area.

Anyway had a post  op check up with my Endovascular Surgeon tonight.   We were chatting  and I got my list of questions out to check I hadn't forgotten anything and there was one thing.   I asked him exactly where in my legs the stents were, thinking they were in or near the groin, but he pointed to his abdomen.  I laughed but he said they are in your abdomen but towards the back.   

When I think how delicately I have been patting myself dry,  and how viciously have been exercising my back in rehab  with both hydro and physio therapy,  as my grandkids would say .... I felt a right donut and was still laughing at myself when I reached the car.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Of no relevance to anything, but:

Tesco Finest British Pork Sausages 400G

INGREDIENTS: Pork (90%), Water, Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Salt, Acidity Regulator (Calcium Lactate), White Pepper, Sage, Stabilisers (Tetrasodium Diphosphate, Disodium Diphosphate), Coriander, Preservative (Sodium Metabisulphite), Nutmeg, Dextrose, Bamboo Fibre, Caramelised Sugar Syrup, Colour (Paprika Extract).

Finest?  Really?  Using bamboo as a cheap filler?

Ordered from the local butcher instead.

Bamboo fibre in processed foods is safe, according to Mr Google, and in fact in gluten free foods it could be beneficial, and I would expect that all food additives have to to be approved by the FDA or similar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Bamboo fibre is popping up everywhere, it seems:

https://uk.openfoodfacts.org/ingredient/en:bamboo-fibre

And then you get health warnings about its use in materials that come into contact with food:

https://www.food.gov.uk/news-alerts/consultations/call-for-evidence-plastic-food-contact-materials-containing-bamboo-and-similar-plant-based-material-as-additives

An increasing number of scientific reports on the harm done by ultra processed foods, and I’m more and more coming round to the view that if your grandmother wouldn’t recognise an ingredient as food, it’s best avoided!

Your grandmother (generic not personal) probably only lived to be 65-70, whereas you could now expect to live well into your 80s. Maybe if she had known about the health benefits of bamboo fibre she might have lived longer?

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Your grandmother (generic not personal) probably only lived to be 65-70, whereas you could now expect to live well into your 80s. Maybe if she had known about the health benefits of bamboo fibre she might have lived longer?

Or didn't smoke 40 Woodbine a day, drink stout and eat dripping😂

Andy 

• Haha 12

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I would expect that all food additives have to to be approved by the FDA or similar.

That is generally true John, unfortunately regulatory bodies sometimes get it wrong, just like the rest of us. It is just that it can take many years to show. I always said there would be a price to pay for using some artificial sweeteners. Plus it is not always the products as such but the amount we take in, salt being a good example. You can't live without it and too much can kill you. One of grannies old sayings; "all things in moderation"

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Has the BBC weather page been hacked  or are we really in for an arctic blast next week, with daytime temps no higher than 8 deg C?

They have a glitch and techs are working on it. It is on BBC News.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Bamboo fibre in processed foods is safe, according to Mr Google, and in fact in gluten free foods it could be beneficial, and I would expect that all food additives have to to be approved by the FDA or similar.

Or in the U.K. the FSA (Food Standards Agency) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Presto2 said:

You've made me laugh so much Kalos. Needed it this week. Thanks from me -- and am guessing all of us. 

PS Can you tell us the cruises you are going on so we can all book them and share a table !!!!!

Will they have a table big enough for us all? Perhaps the Captain’s table where we take turns to sit with the great Captain Kalos.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

That is generally true John, unfortunately regulatory bodies sometimes get it wrong, just like the rest of us. It is just that it can take many years to show. I always said there would be a price to pay for using some artificial sweeteners. Plus it is not always the products as such but the amount we take in, salt being a good example. You can't live without it and too much can kill you. One of grannies old sayings; "all things in moderation"

Mum, born in 1908, had a saying too. 'There's nothing wrong with the food, it's the rubbish they put into it'. 

Avril

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Has the BBC weather page been hacked  or are we really in for an arctic blast next week, with daytime temps no higher than 8 deg C?

That gave me a bit of a shock when I saw it too. We can only hope they have it wrong.

As usual😏

Avril

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

That gave me a bit of a shock when I saw it too. We can only hope they have it wrong.

As usual😏

Avril

13°C cloudy and a lot fresher this morning after the humid nights lately.

My nana used to make the tastiest stottie bread ever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

It's a strange old world. I looked out of the bedroom Wednesday and saw the bamboo blowing in the wind in the garden over the road. Now on Friday its taking over the world.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We are off to Devon for a week. DW said pack some jumpers, it's going to be 7 degrees.......WHAT.!!.

Have a great time and keep away from draughty cold places 🙃😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

It's a strange old world. I looked out of the bedroom Wednesday and saw the bamboo blowing in the wind in the garden over the road. Now on Friday its taking over the world.

We have wild cane growing everywhere on unused land in Italy,it was perfect when growing tomatoes in lockdown,lol.It grew 5ft in the 4 weeks we were there recently.

The end of cruise packing is done, we will put the cases out for collection before going for dinner tonight.

We have had a lovely time but are looking forward to going home.  We now have to decide where we want to go next.

I am assuming that our house doesn't need rebuilding after the earth tremors because none of our family have contacted us to say anything different.

Take care everyone and to those who will be boarding a cruise soon have a great time.

• Like 16

Perhaps it's just me, but the qualifying for the Grand Prix is on TV and it said one driver was 48/1000ths of a second faster than another.

How on earth have they managed to calculate that.   I can't comprehend that time at all.    Actually its a bit scary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

Perhaps it's just me, but the qualifying for the Grand Prix is on TV and it said one driver was 48/1000ths of a second faster than another.

How on earth have they managed to calculate that.   I can't comprehend that time at all.    Actually its a bit scary.

When the car crosses the line. it breaks a beam on the recording device. The cars are also fitted with GPS. Clever things those computers. P&O use them for confectionery in the kids club...works a treat.

• Haha 2

White rabbit 🐇 White rabbit 🐇 for luck on the first of July.

Pauline and Sarah loved the 

Rod Stewart/Boy George culture club concert last night.

We went to the nearby Lumley castle for dinner before I dropped them off at the venue.

When I came back later I heard the last few songs and the last one was 

I Am Sailing 🚢.

I hope everyone is well.

IMG_20230630_174050.jpg

IMG-20230630-WA0013.jpg

• Like 15