P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

7 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Or collected from and delivered back to your home - that’s been incredibly useful for us.  12 miles to the dealership, but it’s a free service they’ve always offered, and they wouldn’t be doing it unless it made financial sense.

Our local Toyota dealer does that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Our local Toyota dealer does that.

We were still out and about at 12.30pm when the dealer rang so we called at the main dealers and picked the car up on the way home.

Car serviced, washed and valeted.

Graham.

• Like 1

Afternoon all, glad to see Kalos back and thoroughly agree with your decision Jane. Good luck to you both and Kalos’s better half.

Busy day yesterday, it was John’s birthday so we went to Carlucclio’s at Bluewater for brunch and then the cinema to see the Bond film. Had recliner seats in the cinema so we were quite spaced out. Then we went to our son’s for dinner, so a good day.

Today we’ve had Joshua as usual and he was a little darling. Not sure how much I’ll see him when he starts nursery in January 😔.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Afternoon all, glad to see Kalos back and thoroughly agree with your decision Jane. Good luck to you both and Kalos’s better half.

Busy day yesterday, it was John’s birthday so we went to Carlucclio’s at Bluewater for brunch and then the cinema to see the Bond film. Had recliner seats in the cinema so we were quite spaced out. Then we went to our son’s for dinner, so a good day.

Today we’ve had Joshua as usual and he was a little darling. Not sure how much I’ll see him when he starts nursery in January 😔.

Belated birthday wishes for John for yesterday.

Pleased you had a nice day out.

Graham.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Thanks for all the wonderful replies and Mrs K say's thank you as well .

We are a bit of a team and as the song says 🎶 We Get Knocked Down But Get Back Up Again 🎶

Talking of retirement I have just had my letter from the pensions and will get mine in the New-Year as well. Having been retired for the last two year anyway you begin to discover things like how did I ever have time for a job in the first place as you will find you can sleep when you want and virtually do what you want . No more trolley dash's around the supermarket, you can go around them all and at your own pace . One thing I discovered is you do need to gaze at a calendar at least once a day , if not you find yourselves having discussions about how today feels like a Friday when it's any day but that day . So next time you see an old person wandering about looking like he doesn't know what day it is ... :classic_unsure: You could be right ! :classic_smile:

I often confuse my mum by  phoning  her and she says ‘why aren’t you working’ and I’ll say it’s Bank Holiday or it’s Wednesday (my day off) 😆

• Haha 2

On the subject of retiring I don’t know if I mentioned my sister left teaching after 30 years (she was a deputy head) mainly due to stress from the pandemic being the final straw. Well, on the first of September she started her new job - 16 hours a week in her local library. What a lovely job! I worked in a library for my Saturday job when I was 17.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

On the subject of retiring I don’t know if I mentioned my sister left teaching after 30 years (she was a deputy head) mainly due to stress from the pandemic being the final straw. Well, on the first of September she started her new job - 16 hours a week in her local library. What a lovely job! I worked in a library for my Saturday job when I was 17.

Nice job, and invariably nice people to work with too.

My first ‘job’ was with a library too.  Aged around 9.  The library in West Wickham, where we lived then, used to allow children from the local primary school to help behind the counter at weekends and in the holidays to encourage library use.  Great fun for us. Less so, I suspect, for the staff!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I haven't been spaced out in the cinema since 1968.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, kalos said:

One thing I discovered is you do need to gaze at a calendar at least once a day , if not you find yourselves having discussions about how today feels like a Friday when it's any day but that day

I know this seems a bit trite, but we always cook a Sunday roast (on Sunday, obvs) as it differentiates one week from another. 

(And, if I'm honest, because cold meat and chips or jacket potato on Monday is one less meal to worry about)

And to digress - how many your mums had a mincer that clamped onto the sink. The left over lamb or beef was minced up to be reheated on Monday for cottage/shepherds pie. Never chicken - much to expensive in the 50s, early 60s.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is sunny but a cool 10°C.

I have my Renault booked in for its second service at the main dealer.

I have a 15 minute slot to book it in and I have to wait outside until my time slot.

Normally I would wait about 2 hours at the dealers while the service is done and look at all the new and used cars and pop into the nearby McDonald's for a snack and coffee but now I have to leave the car all day and get Pauline to follow me in her car to take me home.☹️

I took mine Renault in last week, didn’t have to wait outside I was allowed in as long as wearing a mask and stood 2m away from anyone in front of me. My wife picked me up & took me home.

Under the previous owners either a curtesy car was provided should you need one or a lift home and picking up again when car was ready. Curtesy car was nice as often gave opportunity to drive another model, last one I had was the Zoe Electric Car. When the dealership was taken over in 2019, the curtesy car option was dropped and the lift option curtailed following staff cuts. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning All

I hope everyone is doing OK.  I have been totally unable to post for the best part of a week now. I could 'like' or 'thanks' or use the laugh emoji but couldn’t quote or post. It all seems ok today. I gather quite a few of us have had similar issues so I hope the glitch is fixed now.

Welcome back Wowzz, Eddie and Kalos - we missed you.  

Sorry Presto has left / taken a step back. Hope everything is well.

Graham and Pauline I will ask again - with all the lovely lunches and dinners out you have, how come you're not both grossly overweight? I am so annoyed because I only have to look at some of your pizzas etc and I've put on half a stone - grossly unfair! 

Well workwise our flu season is in full swing as are the Covid boosters. I had a horrible reaction to mine (the booster) and still have swollen and painful lymph glands 2 weeks on. That was unexpected. 

Other news from me is that I have finally decided to retire. The stress of the NHS has finally got me and it's time to stand down. I actually think my practice needs someone who isn't me now. My 'boss' is currently on leave so next week, on his return, I am going to give my 6 months' notice. I feel quite excited now my mind is made up. I will go back to voluntary work at our local hospice if they have room for me.

Keep well and safe everyone. Best wishes all. Jane.x

Good news Jane that you have made the decision to retire , you have certainly worked very hard during these COVID times in your practice, I’m sure you will be missed very much , let’s hope the next 6 months is a bit easier for you now knowing it will come to a end in the spring, so plenty of time to get yourself ready for that last day at work and just think of all the exciting things you’re be doing instead, it’s time for you now 😍

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I took mine Renault in last week, didn’t have to wait outside I was allowed in as long as wearing a mask and stood 2m away from anyone in front of me. My wife picked me up & took me home.

Under the previous owners either a curtesy car was provided should you need one or a lift home and picking up again when car was ready. Curtesy car was nice as often gave opportunity to drive another model, last one I had was the Zoe Electric Car. When the dealership was taken over in 2019, the curtesy car option was dropped and the lift option curtailed following staff cuts. 

This was one of the country's largest dealerships.

A service is usually done in under

2 hours and why I always book an early waiting appointment.

I like to look at all the new cars in the showroom then outside where there is a big choice of new/pre registered cars and nearly new cars to look at.

Graham.

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

I know this seems a bit trite, but we always cook a Sunday roast (on Sunday, obvs) as it differentiates one week from another. 

(And, if I'm honest, because cold meat and chips or jacket potato on Monday is one less meal to worry about)

And to digress - how many your mums had a mincer that clamped onto the sink. The left over lamb or beef was minced up to be reheated on Monday for cottage/shepherds pie. Never chicken - much to expensive in the 50s, early 60s.

Yep, my Mum had one of those mincers that clamped onto the table. There were different discs for fine mince or thick mince……!! 🤣

Morning everyone, hope everyone's OK today:classic_smile: I also remember those mincers one of my 

aunts had one and she had it clamped to the kitchen table or sometimes to the utility sink .

Wowzz is right ,I seem to remember everything seemed to be with beef back then and lamb

back then .Chicken was a real treat and pork was not on the menu much until going into the 

seventies, not sure if that was down to my mam's preference or down to cost?

How things have changed ,now it's the chicken that has become the cheaper meal, some would say cheap as chips ,which is an outdated  saying as they are at least £2.75  a bag in our chippy :classic_unsure:But who would have thought back then chicken would be the cheaper meal ? Everything's going up in price now and due to the current economic situation in the world, I’ve now started an online  dating site for chickens ! It’s not my full-time job, as I'm retired now,  I’m just doing it.... to make hens meet.:classic_wink::classic_smile:

Have a nice day and keep safe :classic_love:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

Hi sis,how about this for a bit of swordfish.The restaurant is normally shut on wednesdays but cos the other 4 are driving back to UK friday they opened just for us.That's what I call lovely people,bro.IMG_20211006_191540.thumb.jpg.d94eb7c5268b16b25253027fda5d5f8c.jpgIMG_20211006_191634.thumb.jpg.d00bc0ac7698bb7c654f9c571cadc2d2.jpg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Both mum and I had a mincer like that. Later on I tried a 'modern' one that worked by suction, what a disaster. The suction released, the mincer flew across the kitchen, scattering food everywhere and the whole lot ended up in the dustbin, mincer included.

I always did beef on Sunday, as neither of us liked lamb. The leftover was minced along with an onion, large carrot, a crust of bread and moistened with a little oxo. I then rolled it up like a swiss roll in suet pastry and baked it. Lovely with chips and garden peas. All with a 10/- piece of beef.

I still sometimes make them now, but with a food processor.

Avril

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning All

I hope everyone is doing OK.  I have been totally unable to post for the best part of a week now. I could 'like' or 'thanks' or use the laugh emoji but couldn’t quote or post. It all seems ok today. I gather quite a few of us have had similar issues so I hope the glitch is fixed now.

Welcome back Wowzz, Eddie and Kalos - we missed you.  

Sorry Presto has left / taken a step back. Hope everything is well.

Graham and Pauline I will ask again - with all the lovely lunches and dinners out you have, how come you're not both grossly overweight? I am so annoyed because I only have to look at some of your pizzas etc and I've put on half a stone - grossly unfair! 

Well workwise our flu season is in full swing as are the Covid boosters. I had a horrible reaction to mine (the booster) and still have swollen and painful lymph glands 2 weeks on. That was unexpected. 

Other news from me is that I have finally decided to retire. The stress of the NHS has finally got me and it's time to stand down. I actually think my practice needs someone who isn't me now. My 'boss' is currently on leave so next week, on his return, I am going to give my 6 months' notice. I feel quite excited now my mind is made up. I will go back to voluntary work at our local hospice if they have room for me.

Keep well and safe everyone. Best wishes all. Jane.x

Morning Jane,

Hope your vaccine reaction is calming down. Your practice will miss you, and you’ll probably miss the job, but you won’t miss it for long! Your humanity will be welcomed at the hospice. My wife was a palliative care Sister working for a hospice but visiting people in their homes over a very wide area - the most satisfying job she’d ever had in a long nursing career.

May I ask you where your practice stands now on that third vaccination course (the two dose third primary one) for the immunocompromised?  A couple of affected charities are now quite rightly kicking off about the almost total lack of action on this, more than a month after instructions were issued to GPs and consultants. All gone very quiet here, and I don’t want to upset my practice, but did you get your programme underway in the end?

Harry

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Great decision Jane. You will have six months to get used to the idea and plan all the wonderful things you can do with your time once spring arrives. Speaking from personal experience you won’t regret your decision!

Gill x

Thanks Gill. One of the first things I'm going to do is get another dog. Teddy is totally devoted to me, bless him, but his separation anxiety has escalated to such an extent that I can barely leave the house without him crying and howling. I think a new addition to the house may help us - well that’s my excuse anyway. I'm nervous about retiring but I know the time is right. I hope you and Freddie are settling into your new home well. Best wishes. Jane.x 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Good news Jane that you have made the decision to retire , you have certainly worked very hard during these COVID times in your practice, I’m sure you will be missed very much , let’s hope the next 6 months is a bit easier for you now knowing it will come to a end in the spring, so plenty of time to get yourself ready for that last day at work and just think of all the exciting things you’re be doing instead, it’s time for you now 😍

Thanks Purdey. After 34 years in the NHS I have nothing left to give! I know I'm past my sell-by date because I find all the changes so hard to cope with. I would have taken it all in my stride a few years ago but now I just go home and worry. I will have very mixed feelings when the time arrives but I know it's the right thing for me - a blessed relief actually! Thanks again and best wishes. Jane.x 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Morning Jane,

Hope your vaccine reaction is calming down. Your practice will miss you, and you’ll probably miss the job, but you won’t miss it for long! Your humanity will be welcomed at the hospice. My wife was a palliative care Sister working for a hospice but visiting people in their homes over a very wide area - the most satisfying job she’d ever had in a long nursing career.

May I ask you where your practice stands now on that third vaccination course (the two dose third primary one) for the immunocompromised?  A couple of affected charities are now quite rightly kicking off about the almost total lack of action on this, more than a month after instructions were issued to GPs and consultants. All gone very quiet here, and I don’t want to upset my practice, but did you get your programme underway in the end?

Harry

Morning Harry

How lovely to hear about your wife's role in the hospice-at-home. It takes a very special person to undertake such a role and I suspect your wife is a very special person. My voluntary role at our local hospice has only ever been very part-time but I love it. I work in the laundry, the kitchen, serving food to the patients, and sometimes driving. We are very lucky to have a strong local volunteer pool so most jobs are covered all the time.

Sorry to report that our programme re the immunocompromised has not yet got underway. I've had to re-submit my numbers again and our PCN has employed an administrator to deal with the invites and comparisons with the NHS searches but no confirmation yet with regard to dates. The charities are right to kick-off and as for the consultants, we've only had two recommdations. It's just not good enough. I'll let you know as soon as I know anything definite.

Best wishes. Jane.x 

• Like 3

I have a story a about a mincer which still makes us laugh to this day.  A friend of mine got married about 35 years ago and moved into the farmhouse. The in-laws had built a bungalow on the farm and were retiring. She didn’t want to upset her new in-laws but the old farmhouse needed modernising which they did slowly over the next year. The mother-in-law had all the mod cons in her new bungalow and so had left a few boxes of stuff which she didn’t need. My friend asked her several times about the items in the boxes but the MIL was quite sure that she didn’t need them any longer. My friend stored them in the farmhouse attic for a few years and then one day took the plunge and got rid of everything.

The very next week, the MIL came over saying that the just had to have her old mincer back as there was no way she could live without it (remember, this was several years after the wedding).  She was most put out out to hear that my friend had got rid of it and was very sniffy about it for the rest of her life! 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I have a story a about a mincer which still makes us laugh to this day.  A friend of mine got married about 35 years ago and moved into the farmhouse. The in-laws had built a bungalow on the farm and were retiring. She didn’t want to upset her new in-laws but the old farmhouse needed modernising which they did slowly over the next year. The mother-in-law had all the mod cons in her new bungalow and so had left a few boxes of stuff which she didn’t need. My friend asked her several times about the items in the boxes but the MIL was quite sure that she didn’t need them any longer. My friend stored them in the farmhouse attic for a few years and then one day took the plunge and got rid of everything.

The very next week, the MIL came over saying that the just had to have her old mincer back as there was no way she could live without it (remember, this was several years after the wedding).  She was most put out out to hear that my friend had got rid of it and was very sniffy about it for the rest of her life! 

So she wasn't the type for mincing her words then ?? :classic_unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4