P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

31 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I used to smoke and it took a very frightening bronchial asthma attack  to stop me. That was 40 years ago.

Frank and my youngest daughter still did, and no matter how I tried they couldn't/wouldn't stop. I then looked into vaping, and after some research and a chat with our doctor and with some friends, I decided to try and wean them over to vaping. They took to it straight away and  have never given cigarettes a thought since.  It will be 4 years at the end of February and they are much healthier.

Anyway Jane, the upshot of this blather is, try vaping, it works.

Avril

I stopped smoking 45 years ago after having Pneumonia and Pleurisy and raised BP.

Doctor said I would not make 30 years of age if I continued to smoke.

I wrote down all the health negatives of smoking like cancer, shortness of breath etc plus the smoking smell on my clothes,fingers,breath etc and the cost of the cigarettes.

After trying a few times previously to stop I stopped immediately with the actions I took.

I wrote all this down for my doctor who was starting a stop smoking campaign and I was pleased that my actions helped several people stop smoking.

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Well… Mum is still in hospital. When we were visiting yesterday afternoon they finally took her for a scan, hopefully we’ll find out more today.

She looks so tiny and frail bless her. The nurse taking her to the scan was so lovely with her - holding her round the waist to get her to the wheelchair ‘come on Jean dance with me’.

They’ve also had a Parkinson’s nurse visit her so that’s interesting. Unfortunately her speech, which hasn’t been great for a while is almost non existent at the moment, although she keeps trying.

I’m seriously thinking of taking next week off with stress as I had to go in the office yesterday (I always work from home Fridays) and I emailed one of the managers Thursday explained the situation and said was it ok I worked from home - she basically said no! They go on so much about mental health there but it’s obviously all talk. So basically I had 4 hours sleep before I went in yesterday! Not happy.

Taking some time off is probably a good idea, you've got a lot to cope with. I hope everything improves soon x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Caullkhead said:

Morning! Today’s my birthday & guess what ds gave us last weekend,  😷 Still feeling pretty ropy & struggling to breathe, ironically I had a text to fill in an asthma yesterday. Absolutely poured down with rain & windy last night, I don’t think we’ve floated down to the sea though. 

Happy Birthday and hope you feel better soon and can have a belated celebration.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2023 at 9:58 PM, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

It is very windy here at the moment with lots of bins blown over.

We spent 11 hours at hospital yesterday while our Sarah was getting emergency CT, x-rays and MRI scans on her back.

She was admitted into hospital this morning and the surgeon said he would perform a dangerous operation or give her injections in a week's time so she has opted for the injections.

As well as a slipped disc she has Cauda equina syndrome.

IMG_20230112_195942.jpg

Oh no, poor Sarah, that sounds awful! Let's hope the injections do their job.

• Thanks 1

Morning! Today’s my birthday & guess what ds gave us last weekend,  😷 Still feeling pretty ropy & struggling to breathe, ironically I had a text to fill in an asthma yesterday. Absolutely poured down with rain & windy last night, I don’t think we’ve floated down to the sea though. 

Happy Birthday🎂  I hope that you are soon feeling better.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Well… Mum is still in hospital. When we were visiting yesterday afternoon they finally took her for a scan, hopefully we’ll find out more today.

She looks so tiny and frail bless her. The nurse taking her to the scan was so lovely with her - holding her round the waist to get her to the wheelchair ‘come on Jean dance with me’.

They’ve also had a Parkinson’s nurse visit her so that’s interesting. Unfortunately her speech, which hasn’t been great for a while is almost non existent at the moment, although she keeps trying.

I’m seriously thinking of taking next week off with stress as I had to go in the office yesterday (I always work from home Fridays) and I emailed one of the managers Thursday explained the situation and said was it ok I worked from home - she basically said no! They go on so much about mental health there but it’s obviously all talk. So basically I had 4 hours sleep before I went in yesterday! Not happy.

Sending you and your dear mam our prayers and best wishes Sue.

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Good morning, well not so good weather wise here in Southampton. Iona arrived early at 2300 last night to beat the high winds. Currently, 0945, blowing a gale, but forecast to subside around midday. Good nights stay in Grand Harbour Leonardo, I would recommend it but watch the price, it varies enormously. Looking forward to boarding Iona again and hope for some warm weather in the Canaries.

Enjoy your cruise. My parents are joining Iona today too.

• Like 6

Happy Birthday, I hope you get well soon

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Taking some time off is probably a good idea, you've got a lot to cope with. I hope everything improves soon x

Thank you, I’ve never taken time off like that before but I was so cross about this manager’s attitude. There were no managers in yesterday and they wanted me in ‘to support the less experienced’ I finish at 1pm anyway and they shouldn’t have had all the managers off the same day! All my colleagues said they couldn’t understand why I couldn’t have worked from home. I got home from work half an hour before John and and he found me asleep on the settee!

Hope your parents have a great cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Sending your parents our best wishes for an absolutely fantastic cruise on Iona Sarah.

Thank you.

I'm just praying mum stays on both feet and doesn't break any more bones while she's away! Just before Christmas, while in a boot with her second broken foot of last year, she managed to fall badly and damaged the ligament that holds the arm into the shoulder joint so she spent Christmas in a boot and a sling 😏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Sue, I hope that your mum impoves, it is hard watching your parents getting weaker. 

I would definitely take a week off, you will end up ill yourself if you aren't careful.  I imagine that it is hard to sleep with everything that you have on your mind.  If things don't improve perhaps your doctor would give you a sick note based on stress so that you could have a rest.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, P&O SUE said:

Thank you, I’ve never taken time off like that before but I was so cross about this manager’s attitude. There were no managers in yesterday and they wanted me in ‘to support the less experienced’ I finish at 1pm anyway and they shouldn’t have had all the managers off the same day! All my colleagues said they couldn’t understand why I couldn’t have worked from home. I got home from work half an hour before John and and he found me asleep on the settee!

Hope your parents have a great cruise.

You would think they would be a lot more understanding particularly given the profession you're all in. 

I hope you manage to get some rest and can unwind in between helping your parents.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

You would think they would be a lot more understanding particularly given the profession you're all in. 

I hope you manage to get some rest and can unwind in between helping your parents.

We have to log our sickness on an app, I notice the first option is ‘depression/anxiety’ 😂 I’ve had one day off sick since February 2020 so I think I’m due something!

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

We have to log our sickness on an app, I notice the first option is ‘depression/anxiety’ 😂 I’ve had one day off sick since February 2020 so I think I’m due something!

Go for it Sue , it isn't like you have not informed "a manager" of your problems causing you stress and lack of sleep . As we used to advise ,your just a number and the cogs keep turning without you or the manager come to that . Do what's right for you .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Doesn't your firm have 'compssionate leave' Sue?  they should do. You are entitled to up to 5 days leave in a family emergency. When my Mum was ill  the company I worked for were very understanding and allowed me time as and when. I would go above your office manager to ask about this.

Check it out on the gov.uk website, it's all on there for you.  

I hope your Mum improves quickly and is home soon.

Be strong, stay positive and more importantly look after yourself. xx

Avril

• Like 9

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

Thanks to all for your good wishes. I won't do a full blown review when I return but will comment on my essentials that make a cruise for us, service, food and entertainment. I always find the staff respond to your attitude to them and have met many lovely people and very few we haven't taken to.

Pleased to say weather has changed, no rain and wind dropped.

We got off Iona this morning and have had a brilliant time this past 12 days. Weather was really good at all our ports in Spain, Portugal and Gibraltar.

Have a lovely time 

• Like 17

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Doesn't your firm have 'compssionate leave' Sue?  they should do. You are entitled to up to 5 days leave in a family emergency. When my Mum was ill  the company I worked for were very understanding and allowed me time as and when. I would go above your office manager to ask about this.

Check it out on the gov.uk website, it's all on there for you.  

I hope your Mum improves quickly and is home soon.

Be strong, stay positive and more importantly look after yourself. xx

Avril

There is ‘compassionate’ leave but I always thought it was for a death in the family. We have 5 carers days in a year, I took one when my Dad was in hospital. I just didn’t want to use them all up at once as I think I might need them later. As I’m allowed to self certicate for a week and there is the option of ‘anxiety’ it seemed the most straightforward way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Is your Mums foot alright now Sarah?

Avril

Yes thank you, the boot came off last week. She managed to fall over again while it was still broken and damaged her shoulder/arm just before Christmas and spent Christmas in a boot and sling. All good now though 🤞

• Like 9

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

kalos - 144/84 is not terribly high for someone over,  say, 55.  Your normal one is very healthy, but my Dr. relation says mine, at about 140/78 is perfectly acceptable for my advanced age.

After I had a retinal vein occlusion 20 or so years ago, the ophthalmic consultant put me on blood pressure tabs, and advised that it should be below 140/80, and I was only in my 50s then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

Thanks to all for your good wishes. I won't do a full blown review when I return but will comment on my essentials that make a cruise for us, service, food and entertainment. I always find the staff respond to your attitude to them and have met many lovely people and very few we haven't taken to.

Pleased to say weather has changed, no rain and wind dropped.

Hope you have a lovely time and look forward to hearing about it - I too have friends on this one. 🛳👍

4 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

Our Future Health sounds very much like Biobank, which I joined back in 2009. You had a day of medical screening and mental tests and periodic online questionaires. They then followed you up via your GP records.

It is. We also do biobank and they recommended we didn't do both.

I do think everyone who possibly can should take part though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

kalos - 144/84 is not terribly high for someone over,  say, 55.  Your normal one is very healthy, but my Dr. relation says mine, at about 140/78 is perfectly acceptable for my advanced age.

Sorry missed you post until now .

Absolutely ! Not worried at all and have been taught by my cardio nurse what's good and bad

with my HF .  I can average systolic numbers ranging from 115 to 128 which are very good for me.

The annoying part I was trying to get across is, I would have been well within that range before miss Lancerlot started on me and if she had done BP before then I would not be logging my readings for the next seven days .

Glad to see yours is doing well for your age 🙂

Edited by kalos
  • Thanks 1