P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Boiler engineer has been everything is OK with boiler just nothing to indicate any issues which would trigger the fault. Said if happens again after an initial reset, then call us out again. 

Currently -2C here, but with wind chill feels much colder.

Woke up this morning to find diversion signs outside, seems we have more roadworks, we already have major roadworks on one nearby road with National Grid digging up the road, 5 months ago it was Severn Trent digging up same road, when I asked my local councillor why work was coordinated to happen at same time, said National Grid did not inform council of work until a month after completion of ST work. The new diversion relates to a burst water main which will take 6 days to fix, that is Day one a team to dig the hole, day 2 an inspector to look in hole, day 3 to fix leak, day 4 an inspection to check leak is fixed, day 5 another group to fill hole, day 6 another team to tarmac road. Apparently they now have different teams to do different jobs before it was all in house and would done and dusted in 3 days. That’s progress for you. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

On the smoking front I’m one of those unusual people who’s never smoked one! When I was a teenager no one offered me one so I didn’t have that peer pressure.

My father smoked 80 unfiltered extra strength "fags" a day. Result... I've never smoked in my life!

• Like 1

Had a sprinkle of snow, been as far as the lane to put the bin out this morning, managed to give the dog a short walk yesterday, but not going to risk the cold today. Felt better yesterday, but headache back today grr. Don’t be shocked, but didn’t get round to taking the Xmas decks down indoors)due to you know what, however apparently the Queen used to not take hers down until Feb so I don’t feel so guilty. Managed to get all boxes down yesterday & I’m gradually packing it all up now between rests & re reading all the Harry Potters. 

• Like 4

My parents both smoked - this was during and after the World War (yes, I do remember some of it!) like many others, because of the stress.  I never wanted to, but first boyfriend bought me a Dunhill cigarette holder and Markovich black and white cigarettes.  (Oh the sophistication).  I guess I smoked two packets, and then gave up for ever.  Now  I just hate the smell, and can detect it a long way off!

But I know how hard it can be to give up - like many others my mother had to when in hospital, and managed not to  resume.   Not the ideal way, but worked for her.

I am glad some of you are trying to give up now, even if it takes a long time; there is a lot of help now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

On the smoking front I’m one of those unusual people who’s never smoked one! When I was a teenager no one offered me one so I didn’t have that peer pressure.

We have the Marlbro Man to thank🤠

Avril

• Haha 1

Morning all, very cold here, luckily no snow.

I actually didn’t report in sick yesterday, John’s day off so I got a lift in which makes it easier for me, as I have to walk in the dark. Today is my day off so as they’ve changed my other day in the office from Wednesday to Friday so I won’t have to go in again until Friday. So I’m soildering on at the moment. 

Mum was a bit brighter yesterday but I don’t think she’s going to be home for a while. Just waiting for my grandson to be dropped off at  midday so that will cheer me up.

Enjoy your afternoon with your Grandson 😊 I’m glad your mum was a little brighter yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Boiler engineer has been everything is OK with boiler just nothing to indicate any issues which would trigger the fault. Said if happens again after an initial reset, then call us out again. 

Currently -2C here, but with wind chill feels much colder.

Woke up this morning to find diversion signs outside, seems we have more roadworks, we already have major roadworks on one nearby road with National Grid digging up the road, 5 months ago it was Severn Trent digging up same road, when I asked my local councillor why work was coordinated to happen at same time, said National Grid did not inform council of work until a month after completion of ST work. The new diversion relates to a burst water main which will take 6 days to fix, that is Day one a team to dig the hole, day 2 an inspector to look in hole, day 3 to fix leak, day 4 an inspection to check leak is fixed, day 5 another group to fill hole, day 6 another team to tarmac road. Apparently they now have different teams to do different jobs before it was all in house and would done and dusted in 3 days. That’s progress for you. 

Let's hope the bloke in the bowler hat doesn't turn up.

I’ve heard from my parents a few times since they set sail on Iona on Saturday. It’s been quite ‘bumpy’ weather, the outside decks have been closed off, but it’s calmer today so they are hoping to get out on deck and enjoy some fresh air.

They said MDR food has been good until last night. It was formal night and they waited ages  for their food and then didn’t like it when it eventually arrived. They aren’t fussy eaters so it’s unusual for them not to like the food.

Mum made me laugh, her friend had issues with the automatic doors on the disabled loo and mum had to stand in front blocking the view of her friend on the ‘throne’ In May it was my sister using her posh frock to hide mum from view when the door opened unexpectedly 😂

• Haha 13

Me neither. My husband used to smoke but was told by his daughter when she was pregnant with her first child that he would not be able to hold the baby smelling of cigarettes. It worked like a dream and he gave up and has never had another one. That was 15 years ago.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Let's hope the bloke in the bowler hat doesn't turn up.

I think he might have done & upset the Council officer, just had a message from my local councillor to say they have been told to complete work in 3 days, not 6 as they originally requested, as unfair on residents of the road to have to wait until next week for work to be completed.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I think he might have done & upset the Council officer, just had a message from my local councillor to say they have been told to complete work in 3 days, not 6 as they originally requested, as unfair on residents of the road to have to wait until next week for work to be completed.

I think your councillor must be a member of this forum. You said exactly the same thing.

Avril

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I’ve heard from my parents a few times since they set sail on Iona on Saturday. It’s been quite ‘bumpy’ weather, the outside decks have been closed off, but it’s calmer today so they are hoping to get out on deck and enjoy some fresh air.

They said MDR food has been good until last night. It was formal night and they waited ages  for their food and then didn’t like it when it eventually arrived. They aren’t fussy eaters so it’s unusual for them not to like the food.

Mum made me laugh, her friend had issues with the automatic doors on the disabled loo and mum had to stand in front blocking the view of her friend on the ‘throne’ In May it was my sister using her posh frock to hide mum from view when the door opened unexpectedly 😂

Those auto doors do take a bit of getting used to, but there are identical locks on some of the standard toilets as well as the disabled ones.

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Why would a Homepride flour grader want to inspect a hole in the road bro?🤔

😁😉

Sis

15 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Blimey sis I thought you'd know the Bernard Cribbins song,bro.

I take it you mean "Hole in the ground " 🙂 but  Avril's flour grader is called Fred .

Now it so happens that Bernard also sang "Right said Fred "

Gets about a bit this Fred 🙃

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, kalos said:

I take it you mean "Hole in the ground " 🙂 but  Avril's flour grader is called Fred .

Now it so happens that Bernard also sang "Right said Fred "

Gets about a bit this Fred 🙃

Seems I'm digging myself a bloody big hole.

• Haha 3

The snow is still lying here and it’s baltic. I hate winter, cold, dark and endless!

I cleared out some cupboards and wardrobes today (yes I am that bored) and have several bags for the charity shop. Some lovely things but they are a size 14 and I am not, nor ever likely to be again. I also packed away a whole load of hardly worn business suits which I’ll never need again either - don’t even know if people wear them to work anymore?

So a good de clutter and lots of freed up space. I really need to tackle the attic but that is a daunting task.

Hope it’s  warmer where you are.

• Like 7

Woken up to almost an inch of snow here this morning, road outside relatively clear following the passage of gritting lorry around 6am, which woke me up. Sky is now clear but temperature around 0C, but lower in the wind. Typically my snow shovel is in my garage at the end of the garden! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Woken up to almost an inch of snow here this morning, road outside relatively clear following the passage of gritting lorry around 6am, which woke me up. Sky is now clear but temperature around 0C, but lower in the wind. Typically my snow shovel is in my garage at the end of the garden! 

We have woken up to a nice covering of snow which looks lovely but I went out to put something in the recycling bin  and found it quite slippery underfoot.

We don't get the road gritted because we live in a cul-de-sac.

Take care everyone who needs to go out today.

• Like 4