P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Kalos - you missed out Stilton cheese  - can only be produced in a small geographic area, with Melton being roughly in the centre of it. (I ran a small office out of Melton for a few years)

In years gone by the whey was sold to the local pig farmers, hence the development of the pork pie business

And amusingly, most of the Melton Mowbray pork pies now come out of a factory just outside Leicester, because the designated area was very carefully drawn.  Good pies though.  Excellent cheese too!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Takes me back to my student days, living in a basement flat in Morecambe with an outside loo! God, it was cold in the winter.

Lancaster University? My sister lived in a similar flat in Morecambe in her first term

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Kalos - you missed out Stilton cheese  - can only be produced in a small geographic area, with Melton being roughly in the centre of it. (I ran a small office out of Melton for a few years)

In years gone by the whey was sold to the local pig farmers, hence the development of the pork pie business

Not a fan of Stilton Wowzz ,but thanks for the info on the pig farmers and the pie business .

Fascinating stuff ,I would never have guessed .

Last night I was watching a program on a Cornish/Devon dairy and I never knew they used butter in 

the making of some of their ice creams .Always thought it was just cream .

The farming industry is so intertwined into so many other things .

Cheese and  pork pies I would never have linked them other than on a plate of course .:classic_smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

South Yorkshire is pretty close to the Midlands so could perhaps apply to join us once we get independence

I'm not sure about that Pete. I mean it sounds like a good idea, but I hear these trade talks can get a bit heated.

Avril

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Watford Gap

Nice that your grandson is home, we tend to recover a lot better in our own surroundings. I hope he'll soon be back to school and enjoying time with his friends again. Socially distanced of course😊

Didn't the Ordnance Survey calculate the centre of England somewhere in Leicestershire a few years ago?

Avril

You could well be correct , I grew up and went to school near Chesterfield and I seem to remember being told it was the most central town in England.

It is In East Midlands though, I think I do qualify has living in the north now, North Yorkshire

Edited by Bloodaxe

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No, North East Midlands in my book.  You have to get beyond the M62 before you get to the North.

Never been there,but the 2 blokes I worked with said it's North.Looking at the map it's a fraction North of Sheffield which I think is in the North.

23 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No, North East Midlands in my book.  You have to get beyond the M62 before you get to the North.

10 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Lancaster University? My sister lived in a similar flat in Morecambe in her first term

Yes, almost 50 years ago. Had a Mini Traveller to drive into university every day for a hot shower. God, I'm old!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Takes me back to my student days, living in a basement flat in Morecambe with an outside loo! God, it was cold in the winter.

But when the tide went out you had loads of cockles on the floor to cook up.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I certainly would.  We live betwixt and between Gainsborough and Lincoln,  and when asked where we live, will answer, near Lincoln. 

Far be it for me to be rude (!), but Gainsborough is pretty uninspiring, to say the least.

My son says near Lincoln too. He's 16 miles away in the West Lindsey district.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47

36 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You had a car!!!  Very few of us had cars as students at that time, and we were very envious. I did have a bike, but admittedly not as far to travel.

Paid for by working as a hospital porter every holiday.

It was a long drive from Colchester to Lancaster in an old Mini, especially as the M62 had not been fully completed at the time.

13 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You had a car!!!  Very few of us had cars as students at that time, and we were very envious. I did have a bike, but admittedly not as far to travel.

I think my sister had to catch a bus every day into Lancaster.As you state Harry, we were envious of those students who had cars. Nowadays quite a lot of 6th formers drive to school.Mind you my husband got knocked off his bike cycling to school and also whilst at university so perhaps driving is a safer option!(I don't know what happened to walking to school!)