P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Paid for by working as a hospital porter every holiday.

It was a long drive from Colchester to Lancaster in an old Mini, especially as the M62 had not been fully completed at the time.

That's not the best of journeys, even now, and back then it was horrendous.  I was doing Ipswich to Birmingham at around the same time and that was easier - no car though. A lot of hitching - couldn't afford coaches, let alone trains.  University scarves helped a lot then!

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Not a fan of Stilton Wowzz ,but thanks for the info on the pig farmers and the pie business .

Fascinating stuff ,I would never have guessed .

Last night I was watching a program on a Cornish/Devon dairy and I never knew they used butter in 

the making of some of their ice creams .Always thought it was just cream .

The farming industry is so intertwined into so many other things .

Cheese and  pork pies I would never have linked them other than on a plate of course .:classic_smile:

I saw that Kalos, I couldn’t believe the butter either!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Oh, the little love. He looks so confused. It wasn't such a big op if that's what the blue bandage is. He's a much better life in store for him now. Love his new hair style by the way, he looks cool😊

Sis

If you look closer he has a big zip of stiches on his hip.the other was probably for the drip.

14 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

My friend always said never ever take your car to Uni if you have one as you’ll end up  giving everyone lifts!

One of the advantages of a mini was that there wasn't much room for too many  friends. 

Mind you, then I bought a Ford Corsair which was enormous (in those days) with room for everyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Does being on the south side of the M62, which runs less than half a mile from where we live, qualify us as Southerners then?

What size are you geeze,I'm ordering your West Ham shirt right now,we need all the support we can get.

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

One of the advantages of a mini was that there wasn't much room for too many  friends. 

Mind you, then I bought a Ford Corsair which was enormous (in those days) with room for everyone. 

I had the Zephyr v4 and that was a bit roomy and liked to drink petrol as well .:classic_mellow:

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

My friend always said never ever take your car to Uni if you have one as you’ll end up  giving everyone lifts!

That was certainly true as people who had cars in the 1970s at university ended up not only giving people lifts locally but also home at Christmas etc 'It is only 30miles out of your way!!etc '

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ann141 said:

That was certainly true as people who had cars in the 1970s at university ended up not only giving people lifts locally but also home at Christmas etc 'It is only 30miles out of your way!!etc '

We had a board (old fashioned card sort!) in the Union building for lifts offered and wanted.  Usually just on a petrol sharing basis, which suited both parties.

A lot quicker than hitching, and a bit of company for both.

Neither of our kids had cars at university, but they did have very helpful and obliging parents!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, happy v said:

Give it to my husband to do!

If he is around he gets the turnips to peel but as I am most often in the kitchen myself I just use a really sharp knife rather than a peeler. 

The topic range on here is truly astounding. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

If he is around he gets the turnips to peel but as I am most often in the kitchen myself I just use a really sharp knife rather than a peeler. 

The topic range on here is truly astounding. 

Keeps you on your toes though doesn't it? 🙂

I don't peel them whole. I cut it into smaller chunks first. I find it easier to peel smaller pieces.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Keeps you on your toes though doesn't it? 🙂

I don't peel them whole. I cut it into smaller chunks first. I find it easier to peel smaller pieces.

Avril

Avril

Whatever it takes!!😴😴

I use my bread knife,and carve as you would a pineapple, then slice and put in the bin!

Hate the stuff!

Only joking, like you, mix with carrot and sweet potato as a mash, also add horseradish or french mustard, depending on what I am cooking.

Also goes well with Haggis.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

Kinmel Bay

Well we aren't too far from you tonight then over here in Llanddulas. We can see the bay from here so we are waving to you. I am beginning to think you are stalking us though 🤔 😉  and would you believe that there is a heron!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Avril

Whatever it takes!!😴😴

I use my bread knife,and carve as you would a pineapple, then slice and put in the bin!

Hate the stuff!

Only joking, like you, mix with carrot and sweet potato as a mash, also add horseradish or french mustard, depending on what I am cooking.

Also goes well with Haggis.

Nice to see you posting as some of us were concerned several regular posters had not posted for a while.

Graham.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Well we aren't too far from you tonight then over here in Llanddulas. We can see the bay from here so we are waving to you. I am beginning to think you are stalking us though 🤔 😉  and would you believe that there is a heron!!!!!!!!

Harry? 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, kalos said:

I had the Zephyr v4 and that was a bit roomy and liked to drink petrol as well .:classic_mellow:

The V4 was a minute engine. When you opened up the bonnet in the Corsair, you had all this space and what seemed like a lawnmower engine in the middle of it. 

Back in 1970 I and 3 mates drove to Hamburg and back , via Copenhagen,  in a 1956 Ford. Not sure of the model, but it had the vacuum operated windscreen wipers  - the faster you went, the slower the wipers! 

Looking back, I don't know how we did it.  Just a rough idea of our direction, a paper atlas, an old tent, and pure innocence. I still remember the night in Hamburg when we were "adopted" by a motor cycle gang and had numerous beers! 

Nowadays the thrill of the unknown is unheard  of.  People want to know all about the ports, the ships,  even the  cabins, and if, for example soya milk is available.

My poor parents waved me off  - I sent them a post card from Hamburg, which arrived  3 days after I got home! 

Different generation! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The V4 was a minute engine. When you opened up the bonnet in the Corsair, you had all this space and what seemed like a lawnmower engine in the middle of it. 

Back in 1970 I and 3 mates drove to Hamburg and back , via Copenhagen,  in a 1956 Ford. Not sure of the model, but it had the vacuum operated windscreen wipers  - the faster you went, the slower the wipers! 

Looking back, I don't know how we did it.  Just a rough idea of our direction, a paper atlas, an old tent, and pure innocence. I still remember the night in Hamburg when we were "adopted" by a motor cycle gang and had numerous beers! 

Nowadays the thrill of the unknown is unheard  of.  People want to know all about the ports, the ships,  even the  cabins, and if, for example soya milk is available.

My poor parents waved me off  - I sent them a post card from Hamburg, which arrived  3 days after I got home! 

Different generation! 

It was same with the Zephyr Wowzz the engine looked lost in all that space under the bonnet .

If I remember right mine was one of the last made H reg I think 69/70 .

It was built like a tank and so underpowered for it's weight ,it did not like hills.

Same as you different generation armed with some old AA hand book my dad gave me

and a tent we were off to Scotland for no other reason than we felt like it.

We stayed a night at Castle Douglas and the next day decided to stay at  Ayr race course camping.

Looking at the map and the fuel gauge it would be OK or nay bother as the locals would say.

We had about quarter of a tank to do 50 odd miles what could go wrong ?

We had possibly done 20/25 miles and the guage was telling me "feed me now" . Not a problem !

Next garage we will put some fuel in .So we travelled for what seemed forever and came to a village

where I saw a man working at the road side ,great I thought  and asked him to direct me to the nearest garage .

" Aye it's just along the way on the right ,it's a post office as well ,ye canna miss it."

So off we set and what seemed miles and miles we eventually pulled up at this post office .

There stood this petrol pump with a big wheel on it .An old lady came out and served me

She looked like something out of Camberwick Green turning this wheel to pump the fuel into my car.

First and last time I had ever seen a mechanical petrol pump,amazing but expensive .

We got to Ayr ok but got a very early morning call off galloping hooves as the trainers took there horses out

for a very early morning run .

As you say Wowzz we were a different generation or just plain mad .Good times eh ? :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Nice to see you posting as some of us were concerned several regular posters had not posted for a while.

Graham.

Graham

Thank you, getting used to escaping, unfortunately not happy with peoples idea of distancing and using masks correctly.

Have played 3 games of golf this week, nice to be able to walk in the fresh air

Preston is on the west coast, we are on the east coast in the same situation, first time at our lodge, here this year.

Love it!

Not surprised by the latest pause, Sorry that you are already in the situation, in which I fear we are all heading.

Needs to be done !

Thank you keep safe!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1