P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

The flu jab is only effective for 6 months or so, and its efficacy tends to diminish in the last couple of months prior to that. Given that the peak flu season is January and February,  there is a lot to be said for trying to delay having the jab until as late in October as possible.

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I felt town was a little quieter this morning - we just walk through the wide, pedestrianised main shopping street on the way back from our walk; I wasn’t shopping.  We went out for a quick, single course, supper last night (pup on my lap) as we both have the feeling things may get tighter.  We’re still only using outside tables when we eat/drink.  Hope they don’t vanish but ...

And so, a small but heartfelt rant.  What was all the pain of the hard lockdown March/April all about?  Why did we patiently cope with all the problems then, only to be looking at hard times ahead now?

Enjoy your day everybody, in whatever way is good for you.  Stay safe.  Remember the best way not to get Covid is to behave as if you have it

Things changed dramatically after Cummings had his jaunt to Durham and Barnard Castle to test his eyes.

That was bad enough but Boris condoning it was the final straw.

Since then we have spoken to hundreds of people and the theme is If it's alright for Cummings!!

Since then especially the younger people have had a couldn't care less attitude with heaving pubs with people hugging strangers and the new lockdown was inevitable.

Middlesbrough council have told care homes to expect people back who are covid19 positive although they say they can refuse if they write in and explain why they cannot.Really!!!!

We have wore masks,social distanced etc etc 

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

I'm having a jittery day today, can't settle to anything. Son is going up to London soon to meet a friend for a meal out and then going to a pub to watch the football later. I'd rather he didn't go but keeping my mouth shut, well reasonably shut anyway. I think I'll be following him around the house for the next little while cleaning everything he touches. He is very sensible and has stuck rigidly to the rules but is getting pretty stir crazy not going to London every day.

Also can't get my mind off all the talk of more restrictions being announced next week, we're supposed to be going to Devon for a week in two weeks time with our daughter, son-in-law and baby grandson, I have a feeling that it either won't go ahead or we'll be going on our own, but we'll have to see what is announced. I know there's worse things than a cancelled week away but I think it's the uncertainty of the whole pandemic situation that is making me feel unsettled today.....a rare 'off-day'.

It's funny how these 'off days' of ours seem to come out of nowhere isn't it?  but they usually go as quickly as they came and we carry on. Things that came naturally pre-covid now seem to take on a whole new meaning. We have to learn a new way of living now which, unfortunately for the moment, can't be as spontaneous as it once was. That's what causes my  'off days' and also having to continually second guess myself. I think many must be feeling the same.  Luckily things aren't too bad for me at the moment, but as cases are again beginning to creep up again here it's getting a little harder. I find the best thing for me is to focus more on what I can do, and less on what I can't change. At the moment I'm concentrating on the garden, collecting and freezing the fruit and vegetables and getting it ready for the winter. Posting on here with all my virtual friends on such diverse and life-changing subjects as peeling swedes to prostate examinations, is a big help when I'm feeling low. Then there all the lovely photos on other thread,  and not forgetting Kalos's silliness. That's a real tonic for me, he always brightens my day.😃 The most important thing though is to 'Stay Safe'😷 and Smile😊

Avril

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The flu jab is only effective for 6 months or so, and its efficacy tends to diminish in the last couple of months prior to that. Given that the peak flu season is January and February,  there is a lot to be said for trying to delay having the jab until as late in October as possible.

I get where your coming from Wowzz  but In the UK, people usually get seasonal flu between December and March, although outbreaks can happen as early as October and as late as May.

In my case the vaccine I had today would be very weak should I be at risk in a late Flu outbreak in May .

Same as you, it  would be too late should it start early October and either way we have to hope they 

have the right strains of the flu virus covered for this years jab .

October is only 11 days away now ,have you booked yours yet ? :classic_smile:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Similarly quick and efficient system here. We’re fortunate in having an excellent local practice, and they were their usual excellent selves.

Sore shoulder anybody? 😀

Frank has, and we're both headachey. We've just taken some paracetamol. If it is from the flu vaccine it's the first ever reaction I've had.

Avril

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kalos said:

I get where your coming from Wowzz  but In the UK, people usually get seasonal flu between December and March, although outbreaks can happen as early as October and as late as May.

In my case the vaccine I had today would be very weak should I be at risk in a late Flu outbreak in May .

Same as you, it  would be too late should it start early October and either way we have to hope they 

October 10th for ours, so we should have reasonable protection through to the end of February.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

We all get days like that and todays is no surprise really as it is a Sadderday but never mind it will soon 

be Sunday.

My wife said to cheer me up she will make a pan of stew today but it makes me feel sad when she puts

to much salt and pepper into it . Do you think it could be seasonal depression ? :classic_unsure:

I even saw a midget this morning and even he said he was not happy , so I asked him "Which one are you then ?"

Walking past the bakery ,even the cake in the window looked sad ,come to think of it " It was in Tiers " :classic_wacko:

I do hope your day gets better:classic_biggrin:

Please excuse the wording.

IMG-20200918-WA0003.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

It's a lottery either way. Just make sure you have  one whenever you can. Better safe than sorry.

Avril

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Frank has, and we're both headachey. We've just taken some paracetamol. If it is from the flu vaccine it's the first ever reaction I've had.

Avril

Likewise - first reaction of any consequence.   We both have very sore shoulders, but no headaches.  No big deal, though, and it'll doubtless pass off in a day or two.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's funny how these 'off days' of ours seem to come out of nowhere isn't it?  but they usually go as quickly as they came and we carry on. Things that came naturally pre-covid now seem to take on a whole new meaning. We have to learn a new way of living now which, unfortunately for the moment, can't be as spontaneous as it once was. That's what causes my  'off days' and also having to continually second guess myself. I think many must be feeling the same.  Luckily things aren't too bad for me at the moment, but as cases are again beginning to creep up again here it's getting a little harder. I find the best thing for me is to focus more on what I can do, and less on what I can't change. At the moment I'm concentrating on the garden, collecting and freezing the fruit and vegetables and getting it ready for the winter. Posting on here with all my virtual friends on such diverse and life-changing subjects as peeling swedes to prostate examinations, is a big help when I'm feeling low. Then there all the lovely photos on other thread,  and not forgetting Kalos's silliness. That's a real tonic for me, he always brightens my day.😃 The most important thing though is to 'Stay Safe'😷 and Smile😊

Avril

My off days are when Sunderland don't win.

Unfortunately for the last 4 years this has been almost once a week.☹️😭

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

My off days are when Sunderland don't win.

Unfortunately for the last 4 years this has been almost once a week.☹️😭

I once left two tickets in my car to see Rotherham United play and some rotten 

sod broke into my car and left another two tickets :classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Oh bless you. Sounds like you’re going to Devon the same time as us- 3rd? 
Like you I feel I shouldn’t moan but I so want to just relax and see the sea. I had hoped it would be ok but I’m not getting excited about it yet, there’s so much conflicting information. We plan to eat in our cottage and have lots of walks so nothing unsafe. I keep waking up with a headache thinking about it all.

I bet you’ll feel better once your son is safely home. 

Yes, we're due to go 3rd-10th Oct. We rent an apartment at Westward Ho! not the prettiest village but we love the beach there and the coastal walks. There is only a promenade between the apartment balcony and the sea, beautiful views of the beach, sea and Lundy Island.

Thank you to everyone for your kind replies, much appreciated!

My daughter has been here this morning with the baby which bucked me up, plus I've been browsing handbags online, always helps! ☺️ She says if there's another lockdown they're moving in but her husband works night shifts so I can't see that working, I THINK she was joking.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Well we aren't too far from you tonight then over here in Llanddulas. We can see the bay from here so we are waving to you. I am beginning to think you are stalking us though 🤔 😉  and would you believe that there is a heron!!!!!!!!

Went through Llanddulas today after visiting my parents in Abergele on our way to Conwy  after driving past Gwrych Castle and seeing the cranes up which are in the process of building the presentation area for Ant & Dec for I’m a Celebrity. Apparently the farm animals have been moved as that area is to be used for vans and trailers for the show. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Good morning all, it’s our 33rd wedding anniversary today( I was a child bride 😉) John is working though so we’re having Sunday lunch out tomorrow at a local restaurant- much more our style now to a Saturday night out! Coincidentally it’s the restaurant where I had my hen night 😃.

Happy anniversary to you both 

• Like 2