P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

33 minutes ago, kalos said:

At least you had an enjoyable time Wowzz,:classic_biggrin:

I just have this vision of you muttering " I don't believe it :classic_unsure: " as you moved your own drink towards yourself.

Not to mention you having to go in at your allotted time.If you went in at another time that would be anytime .

Happy Birthday for the other day Wowzz and may all your birthdays to come be "Freedom dining " :classic_smile:

🎶 One Foot In The Grave 🎶  ...I mean ... 🎶 Happy Birthday To You ! 🎶  :classic_wink::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Yes, we did have a nice time, and I know I have come over as an old curmudgeon! 

Yes, the staff need to be protected, yes precautions need to be taken, but it was just a little but over the top. Having to wait outside until 7:30 on the dot, rather than in the entrance lobby, for example, with no one else waiting, just seemed pedantic.

Anyway, we left a large tip to register our appreciation.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Yes, the staff need to be protected, yes precautions need to be taken, but it was just a little but over the top. Having to wait outside until 7:30 on the dot, rather than in the entrance lobby, for example, with no one else waiting, just seemed pedantic.

Not the Cross Keys by any chance, was it?

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Glad you had a good time Wowzz and happy birthday 🥳 

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Went for my birthday meal to a local gastropub tonight. Food was great, as was the service, but the whole experience was slightly clinical.

Not allowed in until our allotted time- we had to wait until exactly 7:30(no idea why as the place was half empty),  temperature check ( OK, good idea), and then shown to a table for two in a large room with no other tables. Just like eating in a corridor. Anyway, we politely asked if any other tables were available,  and got a table in the main restaurant,  with severe social distancing between the tables. So, quite happy,  but obviously not the same buzz that you would normally get on a normal Saturday night. 

Order drinks - the waitress brings them over,  but puts them on the end of the  table. We have to then pick them up. Why? She had already handled the glasses when she poured the drinks , so what's the point?

Same concept when our meals arrived - plates on the end of the table, and we had to pick them up and put them in front of us.

I know and appreciate that we need to be careful these days, but in all seriousness,  if a wait person places a plate in front of you, how likely is it that you will touch that plate yourself whiist eating your meal?

Before anyone tells me off, I know I am playing devil's advocate. The pub in question has gone out if its way to comply with every guide line,  and to exceed every recommendation, so well done.  But, in all honesty, it was overkill.

Somehow we need to strike a happy medium,  and we will continue to patronise our preferred pub that observes the key elements of social distancing, but still feels like a pub!

Happy belated birthday!

Our local cafe also has the policy of leaving the drinks/food on a table for customers to collect which I am fine with particularly as one of the waitresses is pregnant and another has a family member in the 'shielding' group.The only time food is brought to the table (contrary to policy) is when the cafe is particularly busy and the chef brings food to the table, leaning across as he does so! He is the one most likely to have been out drinking/partying and probably the one most likely to have the virus!

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Oi! I’m from Kent and a Liverpool fan! To be fair I’ve been loyal to them since the late 70’s so been through many ups and downs! I remember trying to buy a LFC top for my son in the 90’s locally and the guy said they didn’t stock them as they weren’t in this area - I looked at all the Man U shirts on display and declined to ask him if he had any idea where Manchester was!!

Yeah,but Manchester is local,it's only 230 miles.Liverpool is 240.

• Haha 1

After chatting with family of which 2 households are shielding and the buffoon in charge yet to decide.We are not flying home Tuesday,where we would spend 600 quid on a hire car and then find out it will be stuck outside our house for 2 weeks.We have decided to drive home a month early on the 30th Oct.It's MY birthday on the 29th by the way.You're stuck with the Italy diaries for a few more weeks,cheers,Brian.

11 minutes ago, brian1 said:

After chatting with family of which 2 households are shielding and the buffoon in charge yet to decide.We are not flying home Tuesday,where we would spend 600 quid on a hire car and then find out it will be stuck outside our house for 2 weeks.We have decided to drive home a month early on the 30th Oct.It's MY birthday on the 29th by the way.You're stuck with the Italy diaries for a few more weeks,cheers,Brian.

I'm sorry to hear that bro, I know you were looking forward to visiting your family, but to be honest, with our cases beginning to rise again it's probably safer for you and your family to wait a while longer. Everything is up in the air at the moment here and the rules seem to changing faster than you can blink. On the plus side bro, the you're in a better area, the weather's nicer and there's chance to rescue a few more animals😉

Sis

• Like 3

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Oi! I’m from Kent and a Liverpool fan! To be fair I’ve been loyal to them since the late 70’s so been through many ups and downs! I remember trying to buy a LFC top for my son in the 90’s locally and the guy said they didn’t stock them as they weren’t in this area - I looked at all the Man U shirts on display and declined to ask him if he had any idea where Manchester was!!

Our generation had a lot of not local Liverpool supporters because they won everything in the 70s. Sarah's sons generation grew up with the Fergie era at Man Utd. 

I support West Ham because my dear old Dad took me as a kid, despite him being blind and I would commentate for him. 

Nothing can change that inground loyalty, despite how you came to get there. 

Andy 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Not Gillingham?? I met my husband at a Gills match! 

No, he follows how Gillingham are doing and goes to games sometimes, but my husband is from Northfleet, Gravesend and he grew up watching Ebbsfleet (Gravesend something or other) and my son went with him when he was old enough. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Our generation had a lot of not local Liverpool supporters because they won everything in the 70s. Sarah's sons generation grew up with the Fergie era at Man Utd. 

I support West Ham because my dear old Dad took me as a kid, despite him being blind and I would commentate for him. 

Andy 

My husband and my brother have both supported Man Utd since very young so my son didn't stand a chance really 😂 I'll never forget the awe on his face when we took him to Old Trafford the first time when he was younger. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Pleased you had a nice birthday Wowzz.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SarahHben said:

but my husband is from Northfleet, Gravesend 

I lived in Northfleet from 1980 to 1996... a while ago I had my ancestors traced and found out that both sets of grandparents, and one set of great grandparents were married in Northfleet church, that I passed the site of every day.  I had absolutely no idea of any family connections.

OK I know I've gone off in another tangent!!!☺️

• Like 5

9 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I lived in Northfleet from 1980 to 1996... a while ago I had my ancestors traced and found out that both sets of grandparents, and one set of great grandparents were married in Northfleet church, that I passed the site of every day.  I had absolutely no idea of any family connections.

OK I know I've gone off in another tangent!!!☺️

As a gas engineer I was based at Gravesend for awhile in the early 80s.I always remember Northfleet being different as it was always covered in a film of dust from the cement works.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

What an amazing and moving story.I was choked up last night reading that.Things like that have obviously moulded you into the compassionate bloke you now are.PS I'll give you my address where you can send the cheque later,cheers,Brian.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, brian1 said:

What an amazing and moving story.I was choked up last night reading that.Things like that have obviously moulded you into the compassionate bloke you now are.PS I'll give you my address where you can send the cheque later,cheers,Brian.

You couldn't stay serious for one post.. Typical Cockney... 😊

Thank you Brian, I am a nice bloke.. 

Just off to troll Karen Brady😊

Andy 

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

You couldn't stay serious for one post.. Typical Cockney... 😊

Thank you Brian, I am a nice bloke.. 

Just off to troll Karen Brady😊

Andy 

A geezer can't be 100% gushing without sounding like a marriage proposal.Had to save face at the end.All the rest was genuine.Cheers,Brian.

• Haha 1

Morning all, just to say my lunch out yesterday was good. 
Felt very safe, tables well spaced and the doors open. Paper menus which they throw away after you’ve used them.

Now getting very nervous waiting for this ominous announcement this morning...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Felt very safe, tables well spaced and the doors open. Paper menus which they throw away after you’ve used them.

Nothing new reported this morning.

Both looked subdued and no questions to answer either.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

It's not official yet,you'll get an invite don't worry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2