P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

38 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

So sorry for you!

We’re trying to work out if support bubbles with babies can still meet? Otherwise I’ll be ferrying half our food over to Maidstone 

I would think so as you count as one household don’t you? Not sure though.

One good point, I hadn’t got crackers, couldn’t find any in my little local shop- won’t be bothering now 😊

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Ignore my last post saying my parents are coming for Christmas Day - absolutely gutted for them 😩 they were really looking forward to it, they’re really lonely.

Wish they’d cancelled it ages I’ve  got all the food in now! Me and my parents hardly go anywhere either it’s only my husband who is going out to work. 

Sorry too for you Sue, the virus has changed tactics and so now you have to do the same

to protect you and your parents but even aware of that you are still going to feel gutted.

We say that we would do anything to protect our loved ones ,whatever it takes to do so.

As Avril wrote" the best present we can all give our loved ones this Christmas is keeping them safe"

I am not sure if you and your parents are all in Tier 4 ?

If you are then one of you could drive over and drop some of the extra food off at your parents house .

Rules are "Social mixing will be restricted to meeting one other person from outside your household in an open public space."

So just outside their garden  should be ok  and reassure them this will not be for ever and 

you will make the day up soon as possible and next Christmas will be better. :classic_smile:

Stay safe and lets hope Tier 4 soon passes !

• Like 7

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Sorry too for you Sue, the virus has changed tactics and so now you have to do the same

to protect you and your parents but even aware of that you are still going to feel gutted.

We say that we would do anything to protect our loved ones ,whatever it takes to do so.

As Avril wrote" the best present we can all give our loved ones this Christmas is keeping them safe"

I am not sure if you and your parents are all in Tier 4 ?

If you are then one of you could drive over and drop some of the extra food off at your parents house .

Rules are "Social mixing will be restricted to meeting one other person from outside your household in an open public space."

So just outside their garden  should be ok  and reassure them this will not be for ever and 

you will make the day up soon as possible and next Christmas will be better. :classic_smile:

Stay safe and lets hope Tier 4 soon passes !

Yes we’ve just gone into tier 4. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Personally I don't care about them, they are making their choice but I am concerned for those that they infect.

I don't care about them either because it might well have been one of them that infected me with Covid19 in November.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I’ve said from the start it’s only one day I would rather they had said from the start and we might have had a little normality by February!

You have and I too have frequently condemned the 5 day jolly because of a January spike in cases.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I would think so as you count as one household don’t you? Not sure though.

One good point, I hadn’t got crackers, couldn’t find any in my little local shop- won’t be bothering now 😊

He said support bubbles remain but in reference to those who are lonely so we’re unsure about baby bubbles. I’m hoping they update the government page soon for some clarification. It turned out I hadn’t got all my tears out of my system 😥 

I found 6 crackers left from last year 😊 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

TBH have heard and seen more elderly people saying "I am not wearing a mask or staying in we went through the war" or "I have had my life so dont care if I catch it" than youngsters going around shops without wearing masks.

I've noticed the total opposite here(apart from Margaret an ex local councillor that is😉) It all depends on where you are in the country I suppose. Only tonight while waiting for the briefing, we were shown  loads of people christmas shopping, some wearing masks and some without, all crowding together shoulder to shoulder. 

Avril

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I’ve rummaged through my cutlery drawers to check, and it really IS a turkey baster. Lakeland sells something similar. 

We believe you.🤞

Most therapeutic, a good old rummage.🥴

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

He said support bubbles remain but in reference to those who are lonely so we’re unsure about baby bubbles. I’m hoping they update the government page soon for some clarification. It turned out I hadn’t got all my tears out of my system 😥 

I found 6 crackers left from last year 😊 

Wipe your tears away your daughter can come and see you for Christmas day only as she will be on her own .

The baby cannot look after itself so has "special needs " and the lockdown rules from Tier 1-3 cater for that need .

In other words Where mum /carer goes so does the baby .  Good innit :classic_smile:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/making-a-childcare-bubble-with-another-household#what-a-childcare-bubble-is

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Yes I know but to be honest at their age it could be their last Christmas. I really envy people who have their children living with them. We weren’t going mad, we were 4 people for one day.

I feel like ripping my Christmas tree down!

I really do feel for you Sue and I understand how the thought that it could be their last christmas is so upsetting. Are you in teir 4?

Avril

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I feel so sorry for all of those who have planned to have small family gatherings in line with the previous rules but have now been told that you can't do this now.  The government have known for days that the virus was growing in the South and should have made an announcement earlier.  We have no children or grandchildren so It is not a big deal for us but I have friends and family who have been looking forward to seeing grandchildren but won't be able to now.

It is late and will inconvenience many people  but if it delays the undertakers visit, then I am happy.

Conversely if he had announced it last week many others would have been complaining he was over reacting.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

Wipe your tears away your daughter can come and see you for Christmas day only as she will be

on her own .

The baby cannot look after itself so has "special needs " and the lockdown rules from Tier 1-3 

cater for that need .

In other words Where mum /carer goes so does the baby .  Good innit :classic_smile:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/making-a-childcare-bubble-with-another-household#what-a-childcare-bubble-is

Thank you, you’re very kind.

My daughter is married so isn’t on her own although her husband works horrible hours so she is often on her own, and recently you’ve been able to form a bubble if you have an under 1 year old, even if there’s 2adults at home, so we’ve been meeting under those terms. It does look to me like it’s still allowed. I think the tears were more to do with the stress of the whole situation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

TBH have heard and seen more elderly people saying "I am not wearing a mask or staying in we went through the war" or "I have had my life so dont care if I catch it" than youngsters going around shops without wearing masks.

29006A90-6D10-454C-996F-43C5C510C7B2.jpeg

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you, you’re very kind.

My daughter is married so isn’t on her own although her husband works horrible hours so she is often on her own, and recently you’ve been able to form a bubble if you have an under 1 year old, even if there’s 2adults at home, so we’ve been meeting under those terms. It does look to me like it’s still allowed. I think the tears were more to do with the stress of the whole situation. 

Thank you for your kind words I did realise she was married but thought you had said she 

would be on her own calling at yours but either way the baby is still a dependant so would

count as one person regardless of her marital status .

Have good time and keep safe ..Oh and keep smiling , much better than crying .:classic_smile:

Ps before anyone sez owt I was referring to the daughters status and not baby's  :classic_unsure:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

We have just got back from a trip to Wales to close down our static caravan. We were going on the 23rd but just felt that we needed to go as soon as we could incase the rules changes (either the English or Welsh ones).

Thankful that we did - Wales hits complete lockdown again from midnight tonight. 

We do feel for the hospitality industry in all countries - it must be crippling them and the knock on to those who work in this industry, own businesses etc is unimaginable. 

School has been incredibly difficult and stressful - we are exhausted physically and emotionally, but we thank God that we have job security at this time.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Do you know I was sure I heard Chris Whitty say that it was the latest data, only analysed yesterday, that had made it necessary to implement these changes.

But if Harry says all the information was available days ago, then clearly my hearing is even worse than I imagined.

All the info I have seen relates to the fast spreading strain that seems to be more prevalent in London and the South which seems to have surpris.ed the experts

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It is late and will inconvenience many people  but if it delays the undertakers visit, then I am happy.

Conversely if he had announced it last week many others would have been complaining he was over reacting.

Many already are. He should have done it sooner, or later. He should have known the virus would mutate this week, or last. Didn't he watch outbreak?.Everyone knows what happened last week, but many profess that they knew all along. Follow the science, but don't listen to what those pesky scientists say. Still, if it's not the same next week it will be different🤔

47 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

He was asked at PMQs just three days ago to take this action but refused. No significant facts have changed since then. The decision has been taken too late. Again. No hindsight - all the information was there.

Wasn't he asked by the same bloke to do a 14 day firebreak. Wales did that. How did that work out?. Yes hindsight again.

14 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

All the info I have seen relates to the fast spreading strain that seems to be more prevalent in London and the South which seems to have surpris.ed the experts

But not Harry and I bet he can provide a reference, or three.🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sure - from today's Telegraph:

Q: When did the new strain emerge?

A: The variant was first spotted in late September and now accounts for 20% of viruses sequenced in Norfolk, 10% in Essex, and 3% in Suffolk. There is no evidence that it was imported from abroad, so is likely to have evolved in the UK.

It's been around, and known about for almost three months.  This is not hindsight.  Nothing's changed at all since Wednesday when the PM was urged to take action, and all we got was this:

“I wish he had the guts to just say what he really wants to do, which is to cancel the plans people have made and to cancel Christmas. I think that’s what he’s driving at, Mr Speaker.”

Surely far better to have owned up to the truth last Wednesday, late though even that was, given that most of on this forum had been saying for weeks that the Christmas proposals made no sense?  Not hindsight - just common sense, and now people are having to remake plans at the very last minute with virtually no notice at all.

I feel deeply sorry for all those who have been affected by this, who have made plans for Christmas, only to have their hopes dashed at the very last minute.

I feel more sorry for the people who aren't here to enjoy Christmas. I feel sorry for the people who were locked down in the Welsh firebreak. Sir Hindsight from Islington has added nothing . Opposition's oppose , that is their sole function. Stating what should have happened has the same result. Nothing.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Do you know I was sure I heard Chris Whitty say that it was the latest data, only analysed yesterday, that had made it necessary to implement these changes.

But if Harry says all the information was available days ago, then clearly my hearing is even worse than I imagined.

He also said that it was the speed of the virus that made  it important for them to act immediately.

Avril

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I feel more sorry for the people who aren't here to enjoy Christmas. I feel sorry for the people who were locked down in the Welsh firebreak. Sir Hindsight from Islington has added nothing . Opposition's oppose , that is their sole function. Stating what should have happened has the same result. Nothing.

No need to feel sorry for the Welsh and their firebreak. God knows how much worse things would be now if that firebreak hadn’t happened. The problem occurs when firebreaks are lifted and some silly people think that they’re then free to do whatever they want.

• Like 7