P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

What program is this ? We have never seen it and say to be sure to avoid it in the future. 😁

I think I saw it on Gogglebox :classic_unsure:

I do not know if it's us getting older but who the hell thinks these things up ? :classic_unsure:

Opportunity knocks, Yes but someone with a Cheerios cereal box over their head

belting out Mary Hopkin's hit "Goodbye"     Far too weird for me . 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

I do not know if it's us getting older but who the hell thinks these things up ? :classic_unsure:

We usually watch Gogglebox but I don't recall seeing that.  Love some of of the Gogglebox characters but some of the recent additions don't have the same attraction.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

We usually watch Gogglebox but I don't recall seeing that.  Love some of of the Gogglebox characters but some of the recent additions don't have the same attraction.

I hate gogglebox, do people normally behave like that when watching TV. All put on for the camera and completely fake. Just a way of creating more Z list celebrities to appear on any of the plethora of ‘celebrity’ shows.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Rip June and Leon .. they were real stars  :classic_love:

• Like 3

I have been to the hell that is M&S foodhall this morning.  I thought that getting there for 8 am would make it easier, WRONG everyone else had the same idea and there were queues and when I actually got in some of the shelves were already empty.  I went to Sainsbury's afterwards and it was lovely and calm and I got the substitutes that I needed.  Now I only need a quick visit to the farm shop for veg on Wednesday then I am done.

• Like 6

If anyone is interested, Historic Royal Palaces are showing ‘Christmas carols from the palaces’ tonight at 6pm on their website. It’s free, although they say donations are welcome and it is from the chapels at Hampton Court and the Tower of London. No idea what it will be like, but it’s something we’ve tried to get tickets for, unsuccessfully, for several years.

It’s available until early January.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, kalos said:

DW watches it. I just sit watching the ceiling fan to see it is still not moving. When they take the mask off, I still don't know who they are. I think it moved a bit just now🤔

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have been to the hell that is M&S foodhall this morning.  I thought that getting there for 8 am would make it easier, WRONG everyone else had the same idea and there were queues and when I actually got in some of the shelves were already empty.  I went to Sainsbury's afterwards and it was lovely and calm and I got the substitutes that I needed.  Now I only need a quick visit to the farm shop for veg on Wednesday then I am done.

A friend who lives in another area shared her pictures of M&S and it looked horrendous, the que went back and back and back! Happy to have dodged that situation.

Glad you got sorted out Josy .

Was going to say morning all, but just noticed it's now afternoon - so good afternoon to you all. It's not nice down here again, dull, drizzly, misty but still mild.

Headed off the Tescos first thing this morning and was surprised at how quiet the roads were and Tescos although busy wasn't as bad as I thought it would be

Have just spent a while reading through all the post on here since yesterday and am sorry to hear about those that have covid. Wish them all a speeding recovery.  I fear for my family, my eldest 2 daughters work as teachers, my youngest daughter is a nurse and my son is a pharmacy assistant.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I was lucky enough to visit Calgary in the snow a few years ago, loved it. Walking round Prince’s Island was beautiful and the snowy view from the Calgary tower was amazing.  I’d love to go back one day.  I think we flew AirTransat.

Not that we will be going anytime soon but what was airtransat like?

We have always used air Canada from Heathrow but Transat goes from Glasgow which would be more convenient. Air Canada is 2 4 2 so you can get a 2 for a couple and it’s quite comfortable even in cattle class.

We had read that the seats were a bit tight on Air transat, your opinion would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Well a gloomy day here but we managed to go to an open air, socially distanced carol sing at a local church last night - all masked up etc etc. It was just nice to sing some carols - albeit in to a visor / mask. Freezing cold though !

Who is looking for the 'star' tonight ?

We shall be looking for it , but with the gloomy skies at the moment it doesn't seem too promising.

Avril

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Not that we will be going anytime soon but what was airtransat like?

We have always used air Canada from Heathrow but Transat goes from Glasgow which would be more convenient. Air Canada is 2 4 2 so you can get a 2 for a couple and it’s quite comfortable even in cattle class.

We had read that the seats were a bit tight on Air transat, your opinion would be appreciated.

I went with my mum (dad didn’t want to travel) she paid for us to go club class so I’m afraid I don’t know what economy class was like. Club class was very comfortable, more of a premium economy rather than first class, not that I’ve ever travelled first class! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I went with my mum (dad didn’t want to travel) she paid for us to go club class so I’m afraid I don’t know what economy class was like. Club class was very comfortable, more of a premium economy rather than first class, not that I’ve ever travelled first class! 

Thanks. We were looking at club as it is less on Transat than on air Canada. Taking off the cost of the flights to London and hotel etc club from Glasgow would probably be not so much more than cattle from London.

23 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Thanks. We were looking at club as it is less on Transat than on air Canada. Taking off the cost of the flights to London and hotel etc club from Glasgow would probably be not so much more than cattle from London.

Bearing in mind I’ve only used them for one return trip I would definitely fly club class with them again.
I had lots of leg room but I’m only 5’ 2” and width-wise it was good too, and I was a good bit chunkier then. I’ve just worked out it was 8 years ago, it only feels like 3 or 4!

• Like 1

So just had the local police visit my office.  They have already visited 3 properties that should be empty and found Londoners in their second homes.  won't be long before we are Tier 4 down here if this continues   She also said the pubs in the area are considering closing as people are demanding tables for 12 people and when told "no" they are getting abusive.  I give up😞

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

So just had the local police visit my office.  They have already visited 3 properties that should be empty and found Londoners in their second homes.  won't be long before we are Tier 4 down here if this continues   She also said the pubs in the area are considering closing as people are demanding tables for 12 people and when told "no" they are getting abusive.  I give up😞

Jean.

Are the police sending the second homers back to London?

A little wander yesterday along the main road (A13 - Trunk Road to the Sea, cheers Billy), one of the restaurants had a breach of lease possession notice stuck on it.  It had been here for the 25 years we have been here.  I wonder how many other shops restaurants and cafes etc along that stretch have had the same or are on the brink.  Awful.

Driving back from visiting Mum in her care home, I noticed that one of the large pubs on the A127 was all boarded up. That place had been there for the 35 plus years I've been driving past it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

They of course said they had arrived a week ago, but the police know from their cameras on the road that they did not, so I will update if they tell me.  I am not in the least surprised.

Genuine question, what law are they breaking. I’m not aware of the English covid regs.

Up here the travel ban is in law, travelling over a Council border from level 3 or 4 will result in a fine with a few very limited excemptions.

8 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Genuine question, what law are they breaking. I’m not aware of the English covid regs.

Up here the travel ban is in law, travelling over a Council border from level 3 or 4 will result in a fine with a few very limited excemptions.

Good question. There do seem to be some very blurred edges between the law, legally enforceable, and advice, not enforceable. I’m not currently in Tier 4, so I haven’t checked the detail, but I imagine we’ll all be Tier 4 very shortly, for the rest of the winter.

So do I.  My family live in 4, and have never been near anyone for months, but know they cannot come up to see us (currently in 3).  Just waiting for infection from the great exodus out of London on the trains out of King's Cross and St. Pancras to hit us up here in the East Midlands, Lincs. and points north.

• Like 4