P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

You have to Durham up the right way round.

It's a new fashion trend Brian. Inside out, upside down and back to front. At least you'll know who I am if we ever met on a cruise. 😂

Avril 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Attitudes are changing, people want to work and the stigma attached to shop work, fruit picking, warehouse work has gone, so I think we will be ok. 

Business is looking promising, I think we are going back to a brighter, nicer world.. 

Andy 

Andy - not sure there was ever a stigma to that sort of work. An honest days work for an honest days labour. 

What is noticeable around here (Lincs) is the lack of foreign workers to bring in the harvest.  Lots of reasons,  and  without getting political, it's because the UK shopper wants cheap veg, and won't pay the true value. 

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Andy - not sure there was ever a stigma to that sort of work. An honest days work for an honest days labour. 

What is noticeable around here (Lincs) is the lack of foreign workers to bring in the harvest.  Lots of reasons,  and  without getting political, it's because the UK shopper wants cheap veg, and won't pay the true value. 

Oh there definitely was/is a stigma Wowzz, even trying to get apprentice floor layers was difficult as every youngster wants to be a You tuber or computer wizz.. 

Why do you think, when unemployment was still rife, every shop you went in had a sign in the window for vacancies. 

There must be no unemployment at all in Lincs as they have to import labour, and don't tell me they are cheap, they are still entitled to the minimum wage and the gang masters are being paid a hefty amount to recruit them, import them and house them. 

It's because we don't want to do these unglamorous jobs, long hours and seasonal. 

Don't blame the shoppers, we will buy what is in front of us, they still sell cigarettes at £10 a packet, if someone sold them cheaper they would buy them but as they don't, they find the £10...

Same would apply to potatoes... 

My point was, attitudes are changing for the better, so we can all think about what we buy, where it comes from and who picked it and be proud of them. 

Andy 

• Like 6

I have to agree with Andy on this. I worked in retail for 34 years, the last 13 of them for a  very well known stationers/bookshop/newsagents. The attitude towards the staff by a large percentage of the customers was diabolical. I personally, have been spat at, sworn at, insulted, threatened and on one occasion physically grabbed hold of. All of this while in my  late 50's until I retired at 63. The only people that were different were the ones who also worked or had worked in some way with the general  public.  I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush but the attitude towards shop staff by some customers was downright disrespectful. I used to go home some nights and cry.

Blissful retirement 😊

Avril 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I have to agree with Andy on this. I worked in retail for 34 years, the last 13 of them for a  very well known stationers/bookshop/newsagents. The attitude towards the staff by a large percentage of the customers was diabolical. I personally, have been spat at, sworn at, insulted, threatened and on one occasion physically grabbed hold of. All of this while in my  late 50's until I retired at 63. The only people that were different were the ones who also worked or had worked in some way with the general  public.  I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush but the attitude towards shop staff by some customers was downright disrespectful. I used to go home some nights and cry.

Blissful retirement 😊

Avril 

Incredible! Why would anyone do that?

Though having said that I do recall an incident in a local department store when my wife witnessed the assistant being bullied by an arrogant Londoner of the worst sort demanding attention.   She just told him that we didn't behave that way up here and he crawled away.

• Like 2

I have just been to B&Q with my husband, they are enforcing social distancing while queueing outside but inside is another matter altogether, I saw the chaos inside and walked straight back out and waited in the car.  My husband stayed and got what he wanted, a perfect example of  stupidly thinking that because he is wearing a mask he is safe.  I am now wondering what will happen next week when most retailers will open up, until now I have only been to Tesco once a week.

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Though having said that I do recall an incident in a local department store when my wife witnessed the assistant being bullied by an arrogant Londoner of the worst sort demanding attention.   She just told him that we didn't behave that way up here and he crawled away.

It beggars belief how some people are. I've always said that shop staff are looked on as beneath contempt. Not only shop staff though, any job that entails serving the public. A perfect example is on cruise ships. We've all seen it. I was always told by Dad that, no one is better than me, but then I'm no better than anyone else either, and that's how I've always lived. Respect now is a foreign word, as is please, thank you and excuse me.

Avril 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have just been to B&Q with my husband, they are enforcing social distancing while queueing outside but inside is another matter altogether, I saw the chaos inside and walked straight back out and waited in the car.  My husband stayed and got what he wanted, a perfect example of  stupidly thinking that because he is wearing a mask he is safe.  I am now wondering what will happen next week when most retailers will open up, until now I have only been to Tesco once a week.

I will carry on as usual Josy and stay home. I'll decide for myself when it's safe to go back into the shops again. Our two grandsons who live with us and work at a B&Q have said they're fighting a losing battle inside the store. No one will take any notice. They then have to come back home to us. It's a matter of 'I'm alright Jack, stuff you'

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
Added text
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I will carry on as usual Josy and stay home. I'll decide for myself when it's safe to go back into the shops again. Our two grandsons who live with us and work at a B&Q have said they're fighting a losing battle inside the store. No one will take any notice. They then have to come back home to us. It's a matter of 'I'm alright Jack, stuff you'

Avril 

I am with you Avril, I will just carry on going to Tesco once a week. I get there at 7am and there's hardly anyone in there at that time so fairly safe and the rest of the time I will stay at home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

How do you know he was a Londoner.Did he sound like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

How do you know he was a Londoner.Did he sound like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins?

Some people assume things. I assumed that the bloke in the black  mask would get out of the way when I said " Ok, you geezer, sling yer ook". He just replied " the force is strong in this one " and hit me with his light sabre.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

I have seen that in B&Q, Morrison's,garden centres etc.

I put on my full face plastic visor,gloves etc and nearly everyone else acts as if coronavirus is not here.

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I have seen that in B&Q, Morrison's,garden centres etc.

I put on my full face plastic visor,gloves etc and nearly everyone else acts as if coronavirus is not here.

I find it hard to understand these people, it's almost as if they don't understand how serious this virus is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I find it hard to understand these people, it's almost as if they don't understand how serious this virus is.

Unfortunately,  for the vast majority of the population,  the situation is not that serious. 90%+ of the unfortunate people that have died, have been over 60, many with underlying health issues.

That is in no way to underestimate the danger to to the elderly or those  with underlying health issues. What the government is trying to do is to protect the elderly and at risk, by imposing sanctions on everyone. Obviously the right thing to do at the start, but now some relaxation is required, so cancer sufferers, those needing organ transplants etc can be treated, and also so that the economy can be opened up so that people can start earning again.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

To be fair, though, and to keep the risks in proportion, it isn't serious to the vast majority of people - particularly the under-45s.  Those in that group have an infinitesimally small chance of coming to harm, and they doubtless are aware of that.

It's only those in the higher risk categories that face a real risk, and we take it very seriously indeed! 

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It's only those in the higher risk categories that face a real risk, and we take it very seriously indeed! 

Have you read this Harry ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/27/phone-texts-notify-cancer-transplant-and-asthma-patients-they-are-off-shielding-list

Edited by kalos

40 minutes ago, kalos said:

Thanks Kalos - hadn’t seen it, but it’s interesting.  I haven’t had a text and I stopped the ‘free’ food parcels, but you can see why the government is trying to get the numbers down. Everything has a cost.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

Adela Street off Kensal Road in London W10. 

If not Oil Drum  Lane Shepherds Bush.   :classic_unsure:    I bet his name was Harold :classic_biggrin:

But if he was from South of the river, perhaps Railway cuttings, East Cheam. All these arrogant Londoners Sound the same to me and I'm from London.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

To be fair, though, and to keep the risks in proportion, it isn't serious to the vast majority of people - particularly the under-45s.  Those in that group have an infinitesimally small chance of coming to harm, and they doubtless are aware of that.

A friend of ours who is 50 has just been taken out of critical care into a high dependency ward, so thankfully seems like he is on the mend, but has been told it will take 6 months to recover properly with lots of physiotherapy as he currently can't walk.. 

He was a fit, active guy and followed all guidelines religiously... 

Believe me, it can strike any of us anytime. 

Be alert and take care people... 

Andy 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

A friend of ours who is 50 has just been taken out of critical care into a high dependency ward, so thankfully seems like he is on the mend, but has been told it will take 6 months to recover properly with lots of physiotherapy as he currently can't walk.. 

He was a fit, active guy and followed all guidelines religiously... 

Believe me, it can strike any of us anytime. 

Be alert and take care people... 

Andy 

I understand that, Andy, and if it hits it can hit hard.  And at 50 you're moving into a higher risk category.  Influenza can also kill young adults - that's not to underplay Covid-19 in any way, but statistically young adults are very unlikely to come to harm from either.

Some of the vaccine trials now taking place may well have to involve deliberate infection of volunteers with the virus - which carries a risk in itself, but one which a lot of volunteers will doubtless accept on the basis of the stats.

If there's no vaccine, we're all going to have to accept one of two options - either stay at home forever or accept that you're probably going to contract Covid-19, with a small chance that it might kill you.