P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

19 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

Good morning all, and for 1 day this week I think Manchester didn't have rain! nothing yesterday despite the forecasts and nothing overnight. So still having to water the new lawn turf! 

They don't call it rainy city for nowt

It is currently 11°C and sunny here with rain forecast from 3pm.

Yesterday morning we were at the funeral of the brother of a lifelong friend of Pauline's.

He was only 62 and was in hospital for a brain tumour which was found to be a secondary cancer.

He died suddenly with a cardiac arrest.

It brings home that we should all take care and stay safe but also enjoy every day.

Graham.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

+1.

Cruiselines say most of their profit is onboard sales.

If you have 6000 passengers on an Oasis class ship compared to 1000-2000 passengers on a smaller ship I can understand why nearly all the new builds are larger ships as do the cruiselines themselves.

In which case, why are small ships still being built?

You can make just as much percentage profit from a small ship as a big one, if you get the pricing right.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

You can make just as much percentage profit from a small ship as a big one, if you get the pricing right.

There will always be a market for ultra luxury all inclusive small ships for those who can afford them.

The mass market unfortunately dictates big mega cruiseships catering for families and 5000+ passengers.

There is plenty of choice and we all are able to decide what we want and doing our own homework on ships helps us make our own informed choice in what we book.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The mass market unfortunately dictates big mega cruiseships catering for families and 5000+ passengers.

HAL seems to do very well with medium sized ships,  moderate pricing, and no gimmicks! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But we don't know the cruise line figures, and I maintain that the big 3 cruise lines will have enough data to prove that big ships make a better return than little ships, or they would change their new build strategy.

Horses for courses. RoI is important but not overiding. Big machines move more stuff than little machines, but you don't get many scrapers and earth movers in folks back gardens. Big busses are cheaper in the cities where you carry lots of passengers, little country lanes like little busses. Big busses would be mostly empty seats. Put an Airbus A350 on the Norwich to Newquay route. No. RoI is one of a number of criteria that are used in investment decisions. Big ship, little ship. Horses for courses.

47 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You don't like big ships, we get that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

HAL seems to do very well with medium sized ships,  moderate pricing, and no gimmicks! 

As HAL are owned by Carnival corporation they are in the same company as P&O and Princess.

I'm sure Fred Olsen were delighted to buy 2 of HALs ships.

• Like 1

I've been following this thread with interest.  Up until Autumn 2019 my husband and I had cruised with P&O on over 30 cruises with a couple on Fred Olsen and one on Cunard.  At that time we weren't sure that we would continue with P&O because they were obviously going the route of larger ships.  We were very happy with Oceana and Aurora and also Arcadia.  We probably cruised on Oceana more than any other ship, we loved the aft mini suites.  We had two cruises booked with Saga but unfortunately my husband became ill and then we had the Pandemic so both those cruises got cancelled.  Sadly my huband died just before Christmas last year, not Covid.  So the cruises we had already booked with P&O were cancelled as well.  Just to say P&O through my agent in Derbyshire were very good.  There was no question that I got my deposits back no questions asked.  

I think if things had been otherwise and we found we enjoyed a Saga cruise on one of their new ships we may well have stayed with them.  We might possibly have tried one of the new additions to Fred Olsen.  As people have been saying the smaller ships now are more expensive and I would think don't appeal to the mass market or to families.  I would have been interested in trying Oceania as some friends have had a couple of cruises with them and really enjoyed the ships.  If I do decide to try cruising on my own I'm not sure where I would look, maybe at Aurora although how much longer she'll be there I'm not sure.  As of now I'm not intending going out of the UK.  Maybe in a couple of years. Cruising with P&O would be easier because I'm so familiar with the brand but I couldn't face going on one of the large ones, too much walking for one thing!  I've always thought that there's no such thing as a bad ship, it's that people make wrong choices.  It always amazed me how little research some people do before parting with their money.  On one P&O cruise someone said - Oh I didn't realise there were formal nights, I don't want to dress up - well the smallest amount of research would have told them about that.  Just because I don't want to cruise on ships like Britannia or Iona doesn't mean they are bad ships, just not to my taste.  

So it's interesting for me to keep in touch with cruising by reading the postings on here and I will see how things develop over the next year.  Happy cruising to everyone.

• Like 21

Annieuk I’m sorry to hear about your husband and hope has time goes by you will be able to go back on a cruise as you say in a couple of years and I’m sure there will be small ships still around 🙏 I like small ships too and not the big ones that offer climbing walls and go kart tracks and flo riders but they will appeal to young families, I like quite relaxing places, but having said that I have booked on cruise on Iona & Arvia just to see , I still think it won’t be as busy has the American ships which all seems chaotic on boarding days.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, annieuk said:

I've been following this thread with interest.  Up until Autumn 2019 my husband and I had cruised with P&O on over 30 cruises with a couple on Fred Olsen and one on Cunard.  At that time we weren't sure that we would continue with P&O because they were obviously going the route of larger ships.  We were very happy with Oceana and Aurora and also Arcadia.  We probably cruised on Oceana more than any other ship, we loved the aft mini suites.  We had two cruises booked with Saga but unfortunately my husband became ill and then we had the Pandemic so both those cruises got cancelled.  Sadly my huband died just before Christmas last year, not Covid.  So the cruises we had already booked with P&O were cancelled as well.  Just to say P&O through my agent in Derbyshire were very good.  There was no question that I got my deposits back no questions asked.  

I think if things had been otherwise and we found we enjoyed a Saga cruise on one of their new ships we may well have stayed with them.  We might possibly have tried one of the new additions to Fred Olsen.  As people have been saying the smaller ships now are more expensive and I would think don't appeal to the mass market or to families.  I would have been interested in trying Oceania as some friends have had a couple of cruises with them and really enjoyed the ships.  If I do decide to try cruising on my own I'm not sure where I would look, maybe at Aurora although how much longer she'll be there I'm not sure.  As of now I'm not intending going out of the UK.  Maybe in a couple of years. Cruising with P&O would be easier because I'm so familiar with the brand but I couldn't face going on one of the large ones, too much walking for one thing!  I've always thought that there's no such thing as a bad ship, it's that people make wrong choices.  It always amazed me how little research some people do before parting with their money.  On one P&O cruise someone said - Oh I didn't realise there were formal nights, I don't want to dress up - well the smallest amount of research would have told them about that.  Just because I don't want to cruise on ships like Britannia or Iona doesn't mean they are bad ships, just not to my taste.  

So it's interesting for me to keep in touch with cruising by reading the postings on here and I will see how things develop over the next year.  Happy cruising to everyone.

I’m so sorry to read your sad news above. You must have had a very difficult time just recently.

As a sometimes solo traveller I can recommend Aurora (and in second place Arcadia) for someone travelling alone. I think that when you feel ready (and cruising has no social distancing restrictions) you will be pleasantly surprised at how friendly the solos are, especially at the get togethers and also at dinner.

I fully agree about the researching that many don’t do. On one cruise sailing from Southampton to the Caribbean one passenger was constantly moaning that she didn’t like not being in port and didn’t realise there would be so many sea days to get there!

Gill x

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Hey Bob!

We’re lunching out too, though still outside - 1. because I love eating outside when the weather allows and 2. because I’d still rather not be indoors with others for a prolonged period of time ... and I’m not necking that bottle of wine quickly.  Relax and savour the experience.  I hope I remember how to use a knife & fork 😀

Before that we’ll get in a long walk.  It’s nice to have a shower-free day forecast.  Fingers crossed it’s accurate

The BBC forecast is predicting an end to the rain from Monday, with dry weather right up to 1 June.  Hooray!

Me too 😁 it’s our first lunch out but eating in today at our special place the Chewton Glen hotel then on to the spa from 5 o’clock to 9 tonight to use our 

ast spa pass up , enjoy your lunches Bob and Eddie .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think many would argue that HAL are not doing very well and are struggling to find their market

• Like 1

1 hour ago, annieuk said:

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your husband and our condolences and best wishes for the future are sent to you.

Royal Caribbean vision class ships are the same size as Aurora and Oceana.

The 2 Marella discovery ships are former RC Vision class ship.

Fred Olsen have 2 ex HAL ships and UK departures.

All the best for the future.

Graham.

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

No one denies that, but the right price for small ship new builds is up to double the price of a large ship.  Even Fred and the new CMV, and the 2 P&O tiddlers prices are much higher than P&O big ships, MSC or NCL, and even RCI if you catch one on a good day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

No one denies that, but the right price for small ship new builds is up to double the price of a large ship.  Even Fred and the new CMV, and the 2 P&O tiddlers prices are much higher than P&O big ships, MSC or NCL, and even RCI if you catch one on a good day.

Our last 2 RC cruises,we got on a good day. Buy one, get one 60% off. Before booking any more, we will wait til the good days come again. Once all the FCC has been used up, they will want some fresh cash.

4 hours ago, annieuk said:

Sincere condolences and I hope you find the willpower to cruise again and find a suitable cruise line to enjoy.

4 hours ago, gadabout60 said:

I think many would argue that HAL are not doing very well and are struggling to find their market

I am not disputing whether they are or not as we have not cruised with them for many years as they are typically more expensive when comparing like for like. Why are they struggling to find their market?

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Our first time in a restaurant this year because of Lockdown.

We took our Sarah to our favourite Italian restaurant.

IMG_20210519_185313.jpg

IMG_20210519_191455.jpg

Beautiful photos Graham. You are all so photogenic. I hope the meal tasted as good as you look! Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got back from our lovely afternoon and evening at the chewton glen in Hampshire we had lunch in the James Martin kitchen ,

crab risotto & confit roscoff onion and halloumi,

cornish day boat fish & wagyu beef burger 

apple laverstokeapple & tartan, white chocolate and whiskey bread pudding.

FE226C18-E0C5-41DA-AEE7-10E83101C378.jpeg

B4A95338-E55C-4454-98B3-CC9BA0C6C900.jpeg

1696B44B-713B-43D1-BD3B-90051B50211F.jpeg

D37C3FCE-2143-44F7-AD25-40EF448F67A4.jpeg

CA361CF1-B24E-40EA-A243-5302F152D49A.jpeg

ED68EC25-CBC3-4B95-B04B-2526673522F7.jpeg

472F419B-9975-4114-A48E-11F1650BE723.jpeg

5CC6CBE0-6C5F-4A63-A50C-662D9E105CF3.jpeg

• Like 15

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I am not disputing whether they are or not as we have not cruised with them for many years as they are typically more expensive when comparing like for like. Why are they struggling to find their market?

Could it be that the recent entrants into the mid size  up to 95,000 tonnes capacity, Viking and Saga, are poaching HALs traditional clientele and offering newer and more stylish ships.

• Like 1