P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

44 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Could it be that the recent entrants into the mid size  up to 95,000 tonnes capacity, Viking and Saga, are poaching HALs traditional clientele and offering newer and more stylish ships.

HAL have introduced 2 new ships in the last 5 years, with another one due imminently.  Carnival obviously believe in the brand, given this level of investment, and also think, despite what some posters on here feel, that there is still a future for medium sized (2500 pax)  ships.

But, I do agree with you, that HAL are perhaps between a rock and a hard place. The line is obviously geared towards sophisticated adults,   but lacks the boutique (sorry! ) appeal of Saga or Viking.

Personally,  I think P&O would do extremely well if they were able to introduce a Pinnacle class ship,  possibly as a replacement for Aurora, but the powers that be have obviously decided that the future of P&O lies with mega ships and the mass market, so those of us that prefer smaller ships without the amusement park feel, will look elsewhere. 

• Like 1

We have had lovely weather this evening, the first bowling match this year with no rain and I am so proud of my team winning 136 to 89 evenings like this make me happy to be captain.  I just hope we can keep it up.  The other  team captain said that he was amazed that I fielded 5 ladies and they all beat his men, his one lady beat one of my men.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Josy1953 said:

We have had lovely weather this evening, the first bowling match this year with no rain and I am so proud of my team winning 136 to 89 evenings like this make me happy be captain.  I just hope we can keep it up.

Congratulations to you and your team Josy🏅

Avril

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Congratulations to you and your team Josy🏅

Avril

Thank you Avril,  we are visiting Pete's part of the city on Saturday, they have a very interesting green so that should be fun.  I will have to get a photo of them so that you can see what we look like. 😂😂

Edited by Josy1953
Stupid predictive text
  • Like 1

We had 2 of our grandson’s around for tea yesterday evening, first time they have been here since early July last year, they came after school, it was nice to have their chatter in the house after all this time.

The weather yesterday was a mixture of torrential downpours and sunshine, in between showers I nipped out to 2 local timber merchants to price up some work we want to do on our patio, I was shocked when I got there to find so many empty gaps where wood should be and they didn’t have what we needed. 

Also discovered yesterday that the few Covid cases at my granddaughters school a week or so back were as a result of the Indian variant so there is a rush to get 100s of people precautionary tested even if vaccinated. This pandemic is not over yet. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Just got back from our lovely afternoon and evening at the chewton glen in Hampshire we had lunch in the James Martin kitchen ,

crab risotto & confit roscoff onion and halloumi,

cornish day boat fish & wagyu beef burger 

apple laverstokeapple & tartan, white chocolate and whiskey bread pudding.

FE226C18-E0C5-41DA-AEE7-10E83101C378.jpeg

B4A95338-E55C-4454-98B3-CC9BA0C6C900.jpeg

1696B44B-713B-43D1-BD3B-90051B50211F.jpeg

D37C3FCE-2143-44F7-AD25-40EF448F67A4.jpeg

CA361CF1-B24E-40EA-A243-5302F152D49A.jpeg

ED68EC25-CBC3-4B95-B04B-2526673522F7.jpeg

472F419B-9975-4114-A48E-11F1650BE723.jpeg

5CC6CBE0-6C5F-4A63-A50C-662D9E105CF3.jpeg

That looks like a lovely place and nice looking food.

I hope you both had a fantastic time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Our first time in a restaurant this year because of Lockdown.

We took our Sarah to our favourite Italian restaurant.

IMG_20210519_185313.jpg

IMG_20210519_191455.jpg

You all look really happy to be together again.

Hope you had a lovely time enjoying fab food

Michelle

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Just got back from our lovely afternoon and evening at the chewton glen in Hampshire we had lunch in the James Martin kitchen ,

crab risotto & confit roscoff onion and halloumi,

cornish day boat fish & wagyu beef burger 

apple laverstokeapple & tartan, white chocolate and whiskey bread pudding.

FE226C18-E0C5-41DA-AEE7-10E83101C378.jpeg

B4A95338-E55C-4454-98B3-CC9BA0C6C900.jpeg

1696B44B-713B-43D1-BD3B-90051B50211F.jpeg

D37C3FCE-2143-44F7-AD25-40EF448F67A4.jpeg

CA361CF1-B24E-40EA-A243-5302F152D49A.jpeg

ED68EC25-CBC3-4B95-B04B-2526673522F7.jpeg

472F419B-9975-4114-A48E-11F1650BE723.jpeg

5CC6CBE0-6C5F-4A63-A50C-662D9E105CF3.jpeg

Looks a lovely place and food, what a treat 

Michelle

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Thank you Avril,  we are visiting Pete's part of the city on Saturday, they have a very interesting green so that should be fun.  I will have to get a photo of them so that you can see what we look like. 😂😂

Good news for you is that I won’t be in Stoke on Saturday so you can relax. In what way is the green interesting? Bits of broken pottery poking through the surface? Heron infestation? 🥴🤔

• Like 4

It's not nice down here today. It's wet and blowing a gale. Plant pots in the garden have been blown over, it's not a day to venture out, although I am off out later to visit my Mum. I haven't been round since Boxing Day.

Lovely photos Graham and Purdey. Glad you both enjoyed your meals.

Stay safe and enjoy your day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, purplesea said:

It's not nice down here today. It's wet and blowing a gale. Plant pots in the garden have been blown over, it's not a day to venture out, although I am off out later to visit my Mum. I haven't been round since Boxing Day.

Oh, how lovely to be seeing your Mum today. Have a lovely time but take care in the awful weather.

Gill x

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Thanks for that. We're off to Cornwall tomorrow for a week🤣.

16 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I am off out later to visit my Mum.

Lovely Purplesea, she must be so excited.

I told my daughter on Monday I would be round for a hug.  Its been so long.   Long time since I have seen my toughie little daughter cry.. of happiness of course.

We all did clear tests in the morning beforehand.  Not what we wanted to do before a quick happy family reunion, but needs must!

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, purplesea said:

It's not nice down here today. It's wet and blowing a gale

60mph winds and torrential rain here in Pembrokeshire at the moment, and likely to last through tomorrow as well. Not looking forward to packing up the car tomorrow morning!

Thank you Graham and others for your kind wishes.  Graham, loved the pictures of Chewton Glen, a friend is getting married there in July, hopefully after the restrictions are lifted but they have decided that they'll restrict the numbers to 30 rather than having additional guests in the evening (rules allowing).  They then don't have to worry whether the evening celebration will go ahead - and all that money they'll save!  I notice you have Dorset in your information.  My husband and I owned a cottage in Bourton in Dorset until last October when we in fact sold it to our neighbours who were downsizing from a large farmhouse.  I know they have done lots to our place so I'm looking forward to visiting them at some point to see what they've done.  

Someone mentioned Aurora as a good size for someone who dislikes large ships and she certainly is.  John and I did the round South America cruise on her back in 2018, 65 nights I think it was.  A superb trip, lots of memories.  I looked at a Round Aurora video on You Tube the other day, brought back lots of memories.

Annie

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

60mph winds and torrential rain here in Pembrokeshire at the moment, and likely to last through tomorrow as well. Not looking forward to packing up the car tomorrow morning!

Hope you had a good time away and not forgetting a big Happy Anniversary for on the way back 🍰🥂🍾

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, annieuk said:

Thank you Graham and others for your kind wishes.  Graham, loved the pictures of Chewton Glen, a friend is getting married there in July, hopefully after the restrictions are lifted but they have decided that they'll restrict the numbers to 30 rather than having additional guests in the evening (rules allowing).  They then don't have to worry whether the evening celebration will go ahead - and all that money they'll save!  I notice you have Dorset in your information.  My husband and I owned a cottage in Bourton in Dorset until last October when we in fact sold it to our neighbours who were downsizing from a large farmhouse.  I know they have done lots to our place so I'm looking forward to visiting them at some point to see what they've done.  

Someone mentioned Aurora as a good size for someone who dislikes large ships and she certainly is.  John and I did the round South America cruise on her back in 2018, 65 nights I think it was.  A superb trip, lots of memories.  I looked at a Round Aurora video on You Tube the other day, brought back lots of memories.

Annie

Thank you.

It was Sandra Purdey who went to Chewton Glen and it does look nice.

I am 400 miles away in Durham.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

What a shame about the weather because it’s so lovely down there when it’s dry. It’s still cold with us up here too. 

Just now, Ardennais said:

What a shame about the weather because it’s so lovely down there when it’s dry. It’s still cold with us up here too. 

To be fair,  the weather until today hasn't been bad - dry at least. But it's been chilly to say the least ! 

• Like 1