P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I remember saying very similar about DisneyLand being OK for kids but not really for adults. But when Pauline and I had a final day in Orlando with nothing planned, we decided to try MGM studios, so you know how long ago this was. We were bowled over by the whole experience, and vowed to  keep an open mind about all things holiday and enternment in future. However we still chose a W Coast US touring holiday because it only had 2 days in Vegas, as opposed to 3 days, then had such a good time we wished we had chosen the longer stay.

Maybe we are both just big kids.

We sometimes like Disney, sometimes glitz, sometimes relaxing in the sun, sometimes the lakes, sometimes Alaska/Canada. We like variety. Same type of holiday all the time, we would find boring.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Thanks Graham. I know they have to be careful, but she's frustrated because she only ever had that one reaction 20 years ago and nothing since. 

Avril

Ruth has regular episodes and carries an epi pen and was very wary but fortunately she was fine with both jabs just a bit pain in her arm.

• Like 2

Better day here than forecast by the met office, I should have checked with Avril. It was good for the builders who are putting a new roof on our garage. It was nice to get back to knit and natter or b!tch and stitch as I like to call it. All the old dears said they had missed me, not sure why as I had wound them all up within half an hour, who knows maybe they like it. It just seemed another step to some sort of new normal.

Edited by yorkshirephil
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Peculiar ‘April showers weather’ a month late, isn’t it?  Have to be a bit smart about avoiding the downpours.  I guess the gardens are looking better and I’m sure the farmers will be happier

It feels strange to have things happening this week, even if they’re very mundane like dental check-up, car service and hair cut.  Small steps towards normality 🤞

image_707c196d-9326-461c-b3ae-220e0fa1c11420210518_164035.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Sorry, but that's my idea of hell.

Avril

Yes and mine I once went an RCCL cruise presentation at a local hotel with free wine and snacks. The wine and snacks were nice but it made up my mind to never cruise with RCCL and surprised I ever went on a cruise after that. We are all different and have differing choices and wouldnt knock anyone that goes on RCCL but I will stick with my favoured Cunard. Just for info dont live too far from Alton Towers and the only time I have been there is with work and wouldnt go there if it was free even though many pay a fortune and to me RCCL is Alton Towers on water.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes and mine I once went an RCCL cruise presentation at a local hotel with free wine and snacks. The wine and snacks were nice but it made up my mind to never cruise with RCCL and surprised I ever went on a cruise after that. We are all different and have differing choices and wouldnt knock anyone that goes on RCCL but I will stick with my favoured Cunard. Just for info dont live too far from Alton Towers and the only time I have been there is with work and wouldnt go there if it was free even though many pay a fortune and to me RCCL is Alton Towers on water.

Not all RC ships are all glitz and glamour. We were on Jewel of the seas from Rome in 2019. It is a smallish ship. About 40% of the guests were from the Amish community on a tour of Religious sites in Europe. They didn't party much, but seemed to have an enjoyable experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

P&O with their new big ships and selling Oceana see this as the  way forward as do most lines who are disposing of the older,smaller and less profitable ships.

Well no, Saga, Viking etc seem quite happy to launch new, smaller ships,  that are extremely profitable based on ROI.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well no, Saga, Viking etc seem quite happy to launch new, smaller ships,  that are extremely profitable based on ROI.

Make your mind up wowzz, you either like P&O because they are cheaper than RCI, or you want to spend even more on a semi luxury line, which is it?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Make your mind up wowzz, you either like P&O because they are cheaper than RCI, or you want to spend even more on a semi luxury line, which is it?

I think you'll find that I was referring to Celebrity - there is no way that I would  consider a cruise on RCI.

I prefer Arcadia size ships, but accept that larger ships will become the norm for the mass market, but Celebrity, Princess, HAL at least have  managed to avoid the worst of the "Sun" type entertainment (tongue in cheek)

My comment about smaller ships was in response to Graham, who implied that small ships were not profitable, which is patently not the case.       

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think you'll find that I was referring to Celebrity - there is no way that I would  consider a cruise on RCI.

I prefer Arcadia size ships, but accept that larger ships will become the norm for the mass market, but Celebrity, Princess, HAL at least have  managed to avoid the worst of the "Sun" type entertainment (tongue in cheek)

My comment about smaller ships was in response to Graham, who implied that small ships were not profitable, which is patently not the case.       

Our favourite line Azamara have just added a 4th Ship, they are a little pricey and it remains to be seen if they will be successful under new owners.

I am not sure when or if we will cruise again but they will remain our first choice with Viking or Saga has other options.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Not all RC ships are all glitz and glamour. We were on Jewel of the seas from Rome in 2019. It is a smallish ship. About 40% of the guests were from the Amish community on a tour of Religious sites in Europe. They didn't party much, but seemed to have an enjoyable experience.

We're booked on Jewel in October. The Radiance class are smaller and cruisers really like this class as they are considered to have the most sea views of any ships in the fleet.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But Saga and Viking are only profitable because they charge such high prices, so not really comparable to P&O. However I think Celebrity and Princess are very similar to P&O,  but even they have pushed their prices much higher than needed because of Sterlings devaluation.

I have to say I agree with Graham, that outside of the semi luxury market, small ships will never compete with the new giant cruise ships.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I do believe that the ex-CMV bosses are starting up with a small ship and calling themselves 

Ambassador Cruise Lines . I think they will be using a ship  formerly known as Pacific Dawn ?

I doubt they would set up a cruise company ,with a small ship if they thought ships of this 

size's demand was going into decline .:classic_unsure:

Ps  I have just watched a you tube film and would give it a go for a few days out of Hull :classic_love:

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Hi Wowzz.

I said smaller ships were Less profitable not that they are not profitable.

A lot of the cruiselines profits are onboard sales and if you have 6000 passengers as opposed to 1000 passengers on board it is easy to see why the mega ships are mega profitable compared to the smaller ships.

FWIW I love all cruise ships large or small.

Graham.

• Like 1

I think the future of cruising is beginning to change slightly. More younger people with families are cruising and the cruise companies are adapting their ships to accommodate what the future market wants. 
I think there will always be a demand for traditional cruising though.

Who knows though?
More and more multi generational  families are all cruising together, that will be me next year...Our grandchildren love cruising and love going in the main dining room for breakfast and evening meal, we assumed they would want to go to the buffet- how wrong we were!!

Michelle

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Hello all, I’ve been watching you tube videos on cruises, I really want to be on a cruise ship soon!

I had a pedicure yesterday and a hug with my mum and dad today 😊

Pleased for you Sue.

We are taking our Sarah out for a meal tomorrow and we will all be hugging each other.

Sadly both our parents are no longer with us which affects Pauline badly.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

We're booked on Jewel in October. The Radiance class are smaller and cruisers really like this class as they are considered to have the most sea views of any ships in the fleet.

They are the glass ships.

We have been on Brilliance a few times which is a sister ship to Jewel and it was nice to have outside views in the lifts and they are aesthetically the prettiest of the RC classes of ships.

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pleased for you Sue.

We are taking our Sarah out for a meal tomorrow and we will all be hugging each other.

Enjoy your meal and hugs Graham, and big hugs for Pauline too.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

Sorry to be so cryptic, but when I've posted links previously my posts 'disappear'

That's ok, I got there eventually. I've subscribed, my husband has too, our evening isn't going to plan but I'm looking forward to sitting and watching them soon. thank you.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, gadabout60 said:

For me I don’t want the gimmicks but Celebrity offers more class than P&O but no unnecessary gimmicks. They will be my first choice when I cruise again

We love both P&O and Celebrity. Have to say our last cruise was on Celebrity EDGE (have I said this before? Sorry) She is definitely the most amazing ship we have ever sailed on. Classy, and just stunning. Gave their new Infinite veranda cabins a miss and had an amazing aft cabin. No bells and whistles, just classy and ...... amazing.

Almost said she was better than Oceana but couldn't force myself to type it ..... 😞

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pleased for you Sue.

Have a lovely meal out tomorrow. It’s so wonderful to be able to give and receive a hug from those we love.

It is hard when our parents are no longer with us, so hugs to you both.

Gill x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

Have a lovely meal out tomorrow. It’s so wonderful to be able to give and receive a hug from those we love.

It is hard when our parents are no longer with us, so hugs to you both.

Gill x

Thank you Gill.

Sending hugs back to you off us both.

Graham x.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

They are the glass ships.

We have been on Brilliance a few times which is a sister ship to Jewel and it was nice to have outside views in the lifts and they are aesthetically the prettiest of the RC classes of ships.

We've sailed Brilliance twice and Serenade too. Only need to get on Radiance to complete the set!

• Like 1