P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I’m sure he has talents to justify his position but inspirational public speaking is not one of Paul Ludlow’s strengths, is it?

Well, so far today has been pretty nice but there is the threat of thunder and lightning all around.  I bet it will get us sooner or later.  We did manage to take jackets out on out 10k steps this morning though

This one enjoyed herself.  Looks like an audition to be Snowy in the next TinTin movie.  Look at those ears! 🙂

97250859-ED7E-449B-AF5E-2E51F92F7620.jpeg

497347F3-18C6-4257-92C7-3003DC270297.jpeg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Can you please tell us how you managed to see the interior of the ship to make your judgement that it is ‘drab’.

Judgement based on most of the recent new cruise ships, Arcadia, Ventura, Azura and Britannia, of course that is only my opinion of their interiors, but for Me its the only one that counts.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I’m sure he has talents to justify his position but inspirational public speaking is not one of Paul Ludlow’s strengths, is it?

Well, so far today has been pretty nice but there is the threat of thunder and lightning all around.  I bet it will get us sooner or later.  We did manage to take jackets out on out 10k steps this morning though

This one enjoyed herself.  Looks like an audition to be Snowy in the next TinTin movie.  Look at those ears! 🙂

97250859-ED7E-449B-AF5E-2E51F92F7620.jpeg

497347F3-18C6-4257-92C7-3003DC270297.jpeg

Absolutely gorgeous!  Jane.x

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

I do agree with what you say about RCI ship designers, RCI ships have a wow factor that IMO P&O don't, we always said we would never cruise on a big ship until circumstances placed us on Indy. MSC new ships have a lot in common with RCI on design and we like MSC, I am sure the glitz won't suit everyone. The P&O faithful said Britannia was a fantastic ship, we were not that impressed, however in the right circumstances we would be happy to cruise on her again.

The new Oasis class Royal Caribbean ships are a big step up from Freedom class which Independence belongs to.

They have a Boardwalk with a Carousel as well as our favourite Central park in addition to the Royal Promenade which is on the Voyager and Freedom class ships.

Graham.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The new Oasis class Royal Caribbean ships are a big step up from Freedom class which Independence belongs to.

They have a Boardwalk with a Carousel as well as our favourite Central park in addition to the Royal Promenade which is on the Voyager and Freedom class ships.

Graham.

Having slowly moved up the size of ships from the sea princess to oasis class for us there is just much more to do on the oasis class. I find the P and O ships just dated. What i mean by that is very little exciting stuff just the usual food, shops, small pools and atrium. So dated as in still being built to a concept from years ago.  Even Iona the coved pool from the pics looks small and small sunbathing area.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

I love the Oasis class ships, our favourite is Central Park too, just so tranquil you would never know there were 5k passengers on board. 
I booked Sky Princess for July 22, taking grandchildren, they are so excited 

Michelle

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I love the Oasis class ships, our favourite is Central Park too, just so tranquil you would never know there were 5k passengers on board. 
I booked Sky Princess for July 22, taking grandchildren, they are so excited 

Michelle

Ww are booked on Harmony late aug with a room over looking central park.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Judgement based on most of the recent new cruise ships, Arcadia, Ventura, Azura and Britannia, of course that is only my opinion of their interiors, but for Me its the only one that counts.

Sorry, your post strongly implied that Iona’s interior is drab, not your supposition based on your opinion that other ships are drab, an opinion I don’t share anyway. Mind you, if your opinion is the only one that counts, there is little point me wasting my time ‘discussing’ it. 

4 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Sorry, your post strongly implied that Iona’s interior is drab, not your supposition based on your opinion that other ships are drab, an opinion I don’t share anyway. Mind you, if your opinion is the only one that counts, there is little point me wasting my time ‘discussing’ it. 

Many have said that Britannia has drab interiors. We quite like them. Understated. Looking at the Jane MacDonald programme, sky princess, sister ship, looked a bit ' brash '. Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, pete14 said:

You do seem to have it in for me Pete14, not sure why, or why you seem to object to me having different opinions to yours?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Ww are booked on Harmony late aug with a room over looking central park.

We were on Harmony for her first Transatlantic back in 2016. Absolutely loved it, you will have a fab time 

Michelle 

• Like 1

P&O have gone for an understated look, especially in the Atrium areas of their new ships. I prefer Princess for the Wow factor and the £30pp for grats, wifi and drinks is excellent, but I like P&O as well. Royal Caribbean have priced themselves out for me, with high grats, 18% on drinks etc  but each to their own, at least we have choices

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You do seem to have it in for me Pete14, not sure why, or why you seem to object to me having different opinions to yours?

Not at all, I was just interested in finding out how you knew something that the rest of us don’t know (and would like to). Your assertion that Iona is drab, implies knowledge not opinion based on thought about other ships. 

13 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

P&O have gone for an understated look, especially in the Atrium areas of their new ships. I prefer Princess for the Wow factor and the £30pp for grats, wifi and drinks is excellent, but I like P&O as well. Royal Caribbean have priced themselves out for me, with high grats, 18% on drinks etc  but each to their own, at least we have choices

I am of the same opinion Bob, I have never thought of P&O as being particularly stylish, I think the atrium on Britannia is a real let down too, I love the overall P&O package though so I don't think it is any big deal. If I could get P&O prices on RCI or HAL I would likely cruise more with them. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

To be honest the virtual tour of Iona did look a bit drab, but that's just my opinion.   Hopefully it will look brighter 'in real life'.  Mind you, the dirge type music on the video didn't help.

I agree about the music not helping. Mind you none of us should forget that one person’s drab may be another person’s stylish and one person’s dirge music could be another person’s musical masterpiece, although in this case, that is unlikely.

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

We were on Harmony for her first Transatlantic back in 2016. Absolutely loved it, you will have a fab time 

Michelle 

Having done oasis we are looking forward to this one. Hope everyone who gets away on cruises this year have a great time too

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Good morning. Who watched the highlight of the evening ?  A bit underwhelming, I had hoped for a glimpse of the inside of the ship. The weather spoiled some of the planned festivities, light show and fireworks, so it was a bit of a damp squib, pun intended.

Another mixed day, but you can get p....... inside a pub !

Stay safe.

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Maybe they themselves are underwhelmed with the ships appearance and are hoping they can maximise bookings before we all see how drab it is.

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

Not at all, I was just interested in finding out how you knew something that the rest of us don’t know (and would like to). Your assertion that Iona is drab, implies knowledge not opinion based on thought about other ships. 

Pete14, if you read my comment in context you will see that I said "maybe", when suggesting P&O could be disappointed with Iona, and clearly any normal person would have understood the context when I say,  how drab it is.

With p&o “you get what you pay for” springs to mind. 

I am 33. I am the clientele that p&o probably want but usually don’t get. For us if there were other cruise lines that went out of U.K. that were comparable in price and itinerary then we would try those. 

I think that the decor isn’t as modern as it could be. Same with the food etc but I think p&o are trying to balance the new younger generation that they want with the older generation who like what they like who have been repeat customers. 

think it’s probably hard for them to do this. Either way I couldn’t give a monkeys about the decor so long as it’s clean comfortable with decent food going to ports I want to at a price I am willing to pay then I will be on it. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Pete14, if you read my comment in context you will see that I said "maybe", when suggesting P&O could be disappointed with Iona, and clearly any normal person would have understood the context when I say,  how drab it is.

In 2019 we had 2 RC cruises from Southampton and Rome. The previous year 1 P&O 1 Celebrity and a P&O. All are a bit different. P&O a bit genteel, RC a bit bold and glittery, Celebrity a bit of both. We will cruise on all of them again soon. Britannia this year, Iona and Celebrity next, with another one chucked in. Where does it go, how much, where from and is there a good deal. All a bit different, but glittery, genteel, or classy will all do fine,🤣

Ps NCL will do nicely as well🤣

Edited by zap99
Added
  • Like 3

I work with high end interior designers daily, and the fashion is definitely 'understated elegance'... 

There is also a trend to make the leisure industry more 'homely'. 

Perhaps this comes across as drab to some, but it will seem classy and on trend to others... 

Andy 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, majortom10 said:

The bottle of champagne didnt break/smash on Aurora's Naming Ceremony and she broke down on her first maiden cruise and was cancelled. Before you think "first maiden cruise" P&O in their wisdom advertised I think 4 "maiden" cruises to different areas we were on I think 3rd or 4th to Norwegian Fjords which because the first maiden was cancelled moved up a place in the league 😁.

And the Titanic apparently .............................. 😞

Ships are designed simple/basic/glitzy/lavish and posh for a reason that being it is 

what we want and the brilliant bit is if you don't like any you simply opt out as there

are plenty of people more than willing to take your place .:classic_smile:

I suspect the Iona is not ready for public viewing yet as Andy and the lads have not

been onboard to fit the carpets yet :classic_unsure:

• Like 6