P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

Yeah that wasn’t for me. 
30 mins of my life I’ll never get back. 

I was watching it for a tour of the ship really as naming and the bottle thing etc doesn’t really interest me but I wanted to see inside. 

suppose gotta wait another 12 weeks for someone to go on her. 

I quite agree. Very poor show.

Ooh you have me thinking now.  I just googled YouTube then 'Iona' and up came a video..There was one with Ollie Smith which was cabins and another of a tour.  Perhaps it was a perfect animation one, but I thought it was real.  Off to look.. sorry if I have mislead you.

10 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I am so sorry....it was a virtual tour "Iona Virtual Tour Atrium + Skydome + Cabins.  I totally missed the word virtual. Silly Woman! 🙃

Well it fooled me.. although I thought it all looked a bit soulless.

Not a problem, these computer renders are getting better.  But like you say, a bit soulless.  And all the reflections and sparkles are just a little bit too perfect.

Hopefully P&O will get a media crew on board as she will be docked in Southampton for a week, and start to drip out some real teasers of the on board experience, as we build up towards sailing again.

• Like 1

Good morning. Who watched the highlight of the evening ?  A bit underwhelming, I had hoped for a glimpse of the inside of the ship. The weather spoiled some of the planned festivities, light show and fireworks, so it was a bit of a damp squib, pun intended.

Another mixed day, but you can get p....... inside a pub !

Stay safe.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Good morning. Who watched the highlight of the evening ?  A bit underwhelming, I had hoped for a glimpse of the inside of the ship. The weather spoiled some of the planned festivities, light show and fireworks, so it was a bit of a damp squib, pun intended.

Another mixed day, but you can get p....... inside a pub !

Stay safe.

Maybe they themselves are underwhelmed with the ships appearance and are hoping they can maximise bookings before we all see how drab it is.

Well our household, even those not interested in cruising, enjoyed the naming ceremony and thought Iona looked great. We didn’t see much of the inside but liked what we did see, fresh, light and modern and we enjoyed a good sing along with Gary.

Good job we all like different things 😊

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

It sure is.. wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same.

Take the weather for instance.  I love it as it is.  I like grey days, and I like grey cities too.  I don't like waking at 4 am with the sun blazing in.  Never been keen on summer, unless on a golden beach  on holiday somewhere exotic but even then I grab the shade!  Looking at the sea on a misty day for me is magic.

This week will do for me nicely thank you😃

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Well our household, even those not interested in cruising, enjoyed the naming ceremony and thought Iona looked great. We didn’t see much of the inside but liked what we did see, fresh, light and modern and we enjoyed a good sing along with Gary.

I don't know what folks expected. A fly past by the red arrows?. It was a naming ceremony. I name this ship Iona, break a bottle of booze. Job done. English sparkling wine would have been better, but hang on, it's named after a Scottish Island. Gary and his mates always put on a good show. 🤣

• Like 3

Morning all, sounds like some of you were in fine voice last night ,I just hope you 

did not disturb the neighbours whilst wailing away .I have not seen it yet as we 

were passing our time watching Jane Macdonald with her cruise program which 

she starts singing at the end, which we are not too fussed about ,so we simply switch

off and move on to better things that  we do like .As Sarah says.... " Good job we all like

different things" :classic_smile: @Josy1953 Thanks for asking , I seem to be a lot better with 

each day that passes but if it returns then I will be on to my Drs .  I  have cut down the

time spent on here and now pass our time with a box set that our Granddaughter said 

would suit my sense of humour and she wasn't wrong . We are passing our time with 

a series called Friday Night Dinner, the actor called Mark Heap playing Jim really makes 

the show for me , try it and if you don't like it then you can always switch it off .:classic_unsure:

I'm off to find the highlights of Iona and Garry on You Tube ,so  you lot have a good day

and keep safe :classic_love:

• Like 20

Morning all, Kalos I watched Jane MacDonald last week but haven’t watched yesterday’s yet as I was singing along with Gary! 😉 That Princess ship she’s been on is in Southampton this year so I was very interested,

I agree with zap and Sarah, a naming ceremony isn’t normally anything we’d see anyway! I think with Britannia we just saw the Queen smash the bottle! Would have been nice to have an inside tour but hey ho!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Cider not Champagne??? 

I think P&O were making a statement :classic_unsure: 

Blur bassist  Alex James is co owner of his own cider, James had  teamed up with

Weston's Ciders to create a cider called Britpop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I don't know what folks expected. A fly past by the red arrows?. It was a naming ceremony. I name this ship Iona, break a bottle of booze. Job done. English sparkling wine would have been better, but hang on, it's named after a Scottish Island. Gary and his mates always put on a good show. 🤣

But they didn’t this time! Weak voice, flipping the mike towards an imaginary audience! 

13 hours ago, Presto2 said:

At least the bottle broke and that is supposed to be a good sign.

I always wonder what would happen if the bottle doesn't break ! Cringe

The bottle of champagne didnt break/smash on Aurora's Naming Ceremony and she broke down on her first maiden cruise and was cancelled. Before you think "first maiden cruise" P&O in their wisdom advertised I think 4 "maiden" cruises to different areas we were on I think 3rd or 4th to Norwegian Fjords which because the first maiden was cancelled moved up a place in the league 😁.

1 minute ago, Ardennais said:

But they didn’t this time! Weak voice, flipping the mike towards an imaginary audience! 

Sorry, I thought it was ok. Not brilliant, but ok. In a cold dark, dank evening at Southampton dock. I thought it was ok. A nice sunny day with thousands of folk cheering and a guided tour around the ship wasn't going to happen.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sorry, I thought it was ok. Not brilliant, but ok. In a cold dark, dank evening at Southampton dock. I thought it was ok. A nice sunny day with thousands of folk cheering and a guided tour around the ship wasn't going to happen.

No I didn’t expect that. Just a bit more spark. I just think it was a missed opportunity to showcase the real star of the show! Paul L was so wooden and boring!

3 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

That sounds very positive !!

Sorry Bob  but I think the RCI ship designers are streets ahead of P&O. Even within the Carnival group it's obvious to those who have sailed on Princess that they do a far better job of glamourising what is a poor design of the Grand Princess and Royal Princess class of ships.

So yes I do worry that when we see Iona it could be rather disappointing.

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Sorry Bob  but I think the RCI ship designers are streets ahead of P&O. Even within the Carnival group it's obvious to those who have sailed on Princess that they do a far better job of glamourising what is a poor design of the Grand Princess and Royal Princess class of ships.

So yes I do worry that when we see Iona it could be rather disappointing.

I do agree with what you say about RCI ship designers, RCI ships have a wow factor that IMO P&O don't, we always said we would never cruise on a big ship until circumstances placed us on Indy. MSC new ships have a lot in common with RCI on design and we like MSC, I am sure the glitz won't suit everyone. The P&O faithful said Britannia was a fantastic ship, we were not that impressed, however in the right circumstances we would be happy to cruise on her again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

I do agree with what you say about RCI ship designers, RCI ships have a wow factor that IMO P&O don't, we always said we would never cruise on a big ship until circumstances placed us on Indy. MSC new ships have a lot in common with RCI on design and we like MSC, I am sure the glitz won't suit everyone. The P&O faithful said Britannia was a fantastic ship, we were not that impressed, however in the right circumstances we would be happy to cruise on her again.

Don't get me wrong, we do have cruises booked on Britannia and Iona, and even though they won't give us the same wow factor, we will certainly enjoy them.

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Maybe they themselves are underwhelmed with the ships appearance and are hoping they can maximise bookings before we all see how drab it is.

Can you please tell us how you managed to see the interior of the ship to make your judgement that it is ‘drab’.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

No I didn’t expect that. Just a bit more spark. I just think it was a missed opportunity to showcase the real star of the show! Paul L was so wooden and boring!

He had probably been rehearsing for weeks, but you couldn't tell.🤣

• Like 1