PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

17 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I like the rain in a hurricane too. It's the wind I don't like. Fran (1996) was my first experience with a hurricane despite living the majority of my life in the coastal-ish south (FL, GA, NC).  The rain didn't bother me but the tree-snapping wind did. She was downgraded to tropical storm about the time she passed over me, so I got a good chunk, but not the worst like the coast did. The rest since then have been pretty minor in comparison--at least at whatever house I was living in when they came by.

And now...WELCOME TO THE FIRST DAY OF HURRICANE SEASON!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I made a mistake. 

I bought Hamilton tickets for August and I'll be on a cruise. Giving them to S. I know he'll appreciate them. 

Have you seen it before? Covid cancelled my third time, and what would have been the first time for my oldest son, niece, and mom. 

It's amazing! I hope you will get another chance!

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 2:50 PM, MamaFej said:

Have you seen it before? Covid cancelled my third time, and what would have been the first time for my oldest son, niece, and mom. 

It's amazing! I hope you will get another chance!

No this was my chance to see Hamilton with the touring group but S will love it & can't afford it. I have resigned myself to seeing it with an SF group later. Came down to cruise or show --- I need a cruise

Parklets will stay!! This is great news for those of us who dine out with dogs (and prefer the dogs outside). I typically only take him to our favorite bistro on Tuesday afternoons to respect other diners even though he just lays down under our usual table.  He goes directly to it, lays down and waits for his water and croissant. 

Added: I think I need to look at QM2 😁

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Campgrounds were full and reserved for the weekend so we just sucked it up and made the long drive home today. Wow. We knew we would need gas to make it home but figured we could get it later in the day. Saw gas for $3.18/gallon this morning in Nevada. My wife was driving and didn't really want to hassle with getting out of traffic and around the block to get back to the gas station so we figured we would just get it later. Forgot about getting gas until the truck gave a low fuel alert. By then we were well into California. Got gas for $4.19/gallon. A full $1.01 more per gallon. We are sooooooooooooo tired of California gas prices.

It's good to be home but... I had three lights on schedules to make it look more like we were here. Our middle son and his wife and daughter stopped by and used the house while we were gone. Since they had no idea how the lights were setup they killed all of them. None of those three lights worked for them and they didn't work on the schedule either. We had also set the air conditioning to "hold" so it wouldn't get hotter than 86° in the house. Yep, they tried to change the temp and had no idea how (it's NOT that hard!) and managed to simply turn the system off. It was 98° inside the house when we got home. Bleh...

We "sort of" unpacked stuff but it was too freaking hot to really give a dang so some of it will have to wait until tomorrow. Tonight we will settle for (wonderful!) showers in our own home and sleeping in our own beds. We did manage to get the house cooled down to 84° - which is the same as the outside temp right now at 11:38 PM. It will have to do. We shut it off and opened the windows.

While we had unpredictable weather - wind, rain, snow, etc. - we did have some really wonderful days and nights on our trip. We saw a lot of Colorado, met some great folks, sampled some amazing beer, and enjoyed an atmosphere where - for the most part - fully vaccinated people didn't have to wear masks everywhere. Now that we are back in California that's all behind us. Back to wearing (ugh) masks. We had our second COVID shots on March 4. That's THREE MONTHS AGO. California is freaking annoying.

Sorry if I sound crabby. I'm really not. I'm mostly just tired from a long day in the truck. I think I'll just go to bed. (OMG! I can sleep in my own bed tonight!)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Campgrounds were full and reserved for the weekend so we just sucked it up and made the long drive home today. Wow. We knew we would need gas to make it home but figured we could get it later in the day. Saw gas for $3.18/gallon this morning in Nevada. My wife was driving and didn't really want to hassle with getting out of traffic and around the block to get back to the gas station so we figured we would just get it later. Forgot about getting gas until the truck gave a low fuel alert. By then we were well into California. Got gas for $4.19/gallon. A full $1.01 more per gallon. We are sooooooooooooo tired of California gas prices.

It's good to be home but... I had three lights on schedules to make it look more like we were here. Our middle son and his wife and daughter stopped by and used the house while we were gone. Since they had no idea how the lights were setup they killed all of them. None of those three lights worked for them and they didn't work on the schedule either. We had also set the air conditioning to "hold" so it wouldn't get hotter than 86° in the house. Yep, they tried to change the temp and had no idea how (it's NOT that hard!) and managed to simply turn the system off. It was 98° inside the house when we got home. Bleh...

We "sort of" unpacked stuff but it was too freaking hot to really give a dang so some of it will have to wait until tomorrow. Tonight we will settle for (wonderful!) showers in our own home and sleeping in our own beds. We did manage to get the house cooled down to 84° - which is the same as the outside temp right now at 11:38 PM. It will have to do. We shut it off and opened the windows.

While we had unpredictable weather - wind, rain, snow, etc. - we did have some really wonderful days and nights on our trip. We saw a lot of Colorado, met some great folks, sampled some amazing beer, and enjoyed an atmosphere where - for the most part - fully vaccinated people didn't have to wear masks everywhere. Now that we are back in California that's all behind us. Back to wearing (ugh) masks. We had our second COVID shots on March 4. That's THREE MONTHS AGO. California is freaking annoying.

Sorry if I sound crabby. I'm really not. I'm mostly just tired from a long day in the truck. I think I'll just go to bed. (OMG! I can sleep in my own bed tonight!)

Welcome back Thrak I’m happy you had a great vacation!! 
The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

I am glad you had a great trip! We are venturing out again tomorrow with our travel trailer. The final destination is Mount Rushmore and the surrounding area (Black Hills National Forest) etc. We will drive across WA State, through Idaho, Montana, a bit of Wyoming to our final destination. For us, gas prices and masks decrease as we head east. As Thrak, we have been fully vaccinated since mid March.

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Next cruise for us is in January but it’s time to get out and about. Headed up to the Columbia River Gorge next week

Have a wonderful time! It looks like great weather!

5 hours ago, memoak said:

It’s a quick drive too maybe any hour east of town. Time for wine tasting and good beer with dinner

Absolutely! I would love to know the wineries you visit. We may drive out that way at the end of the month on our to Bend- do an overnight in the Gorge.

Hi to all my Cruise Critic friends,

Right now I’m at the back of The Rowboat listening to music from the 50s it doesn’t get much better than this. Today it’s going to be in the 90s 😁. I will be cruising around Cape Cod today happy happy!! 

Tony

• Like 6

On 6/1/2021 at 11:39 AM, MamaFej said:

Thanks. Mostly, I felt silly, going to an ER with such a minor ailment, but it was literally all that was open for about 100 miles. Given how long it took for the doctor to dig out all the pieces, and how badly my skin reacted to the whole ordeal, I'm very glad we went when we did, and did not try to wait until today.

As for the walkiing, good for you! I had. been repeatedly ill with numerous pulmonary infections for much of 2018 and 2019, into 2020, getting much better after social distancing and mask-wearing became a thing. Literal inability to exercise, lots of steroids, feeling darn sorry for myself, and laziness, I had gained nearly 45 pounds. I decided that I had had enough in mid January, and started walking in earnest again, along with improving my diet and some intermittent fasting. 30 pounds fell off in about 10 weeks. Then I hit a plateau for over a month and a half. In the past few weeks, I've dropped another couple of pounds (but probably set myself back quite a bit yesterday, sharing Memorial Day food and drinks outside with other campers). 

I have no interest in getting back the body I had when I was 25, I was much too thin then. I'd be thrilled to have the body I had 4 years ago when I was 50, confidently and confortably wearing a bikini on the Lido deck. 

Charge up that FitBit and get walking! You can do it!

Edited by Reader0108598

18 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi to all my Cruise Critic friends,

Right now I’m at the back of The Rowboat listening to music from the 50s it doesn’t get much better than this. Today it’s going to be in the 90s 😁. I will be cruising around Cape Cod today happy happy!! 

Tony

I just downloaded a bunch of music from the 50s onto my iPhone and iPad from the iTunes Store. I had no idea that was even available. Love being able to listen to it while driving in the car.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nini said:

Absolutely! I would love to know the wineries you visit. We may drive out that way at the end of the month on our to Bend- do an overnight in the Gorge.

Mostly it will be the tasting rooms in Hood River

2 hours ago, Sea Day Cruiser said:

I just downloaded a bunch of music from the 50s onto my iPhone and iPad from the iTunes Store. I had no idea that was even available. Love being able to listen to it while driving in the car.

Sirius XM in my truck. 50's on 5. (Also 60's on 6, 70's on 7...) On Saturday 60's on 6 has a show hosted by Peter Noone (Herman from Herman's Hermits). The guy is a total dork and has some great little stories about the early days including bits about other bands of the time.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

And lucky us, Pat Boone on 50's on 5.  Sorry, I love the singer, but IMO, he talks too much. 😁

Don't love the singer. He has "some" good stuff. Agree he talks too much. Oddly enough we love the weird tidbits from Peter Noone.

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

Don't love the singer. He has "some" good stuff. Agree he talks too much. Oddly enough we love the weird tidbits from Peter Noone.

My dad's favorite" Make the world go away!" apparently I was singing it at 2:30 am according to my husband lol  Then into Marvin Gaye  "What's going on"  Woke up to him  on his elbow laughing at me 🙂Psst I cannot sing lol

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Haha 1

Backyard sprinklers have obviously not been running and the yard is not looking good. Tried to run them manually and nothing happens. The timer unit looks like it's doing it's thing but there's no water. Pulled the lid off of the box that holds the valves and discovered it is completely full to to top with compacted mud and roots. Damn gophers...

I started trying to uncover the valves but it's a disaster of compacted mud and roots and I can't seem to make any headway. Looks like I'll need to try to get the box frame out of the ground and dig all around it with a shovel to get at the valves. I'm guessing I'll need to completely clear it out and replace the valves. Poop. It would have been so much easier to just buy a new control unit and put it on the wall.

This is a job that really calls for someone 40 lbs. lighter, 30 years younger, and 20 times stronger. (Of course 30 years ago I was 40 lbs. lighter and 20 times stronger.) I'm sure I could get my daughter's husband to do it - she would gladly volunteer him - but I don't really want to do that. He works hard enough as it is and this time of the year he's putting in a lot of overtime to boot. (He does AC install and repair and it's been in the 90's and 100's here lately.)

Bah. I guess whinging about it won't get the dang job done. Must be about time for "round 2". I'll likely be watering the yard by hand tonight. We used to do that back in the day anyway.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

Backyard sprinklers have obviously not been running and the yard is not looking good. Tried to run them manually and nothing happens. The timer unit looks like it's doing it's thing but there's no water. Pulled the lid off of the box that holds the valves and discovered it is completely full to to top with compacted mud and roots. Damn gophers...

I started trying to uncover the valves but it's a disaster of compacted mud and roots and I can't seem to make any headway. Looks like I'll need to try to get the box frame out of the ground and dig all around it with a shovel to get at the valves. I'm guessing I'll need to completely clear it out and replace the valves. Poop. It would have been so much easier to just buy a new control unit and put it on the wall.

This is a job that really calls for someone 40 lbs. lighter, 30 years younger, and 20 times stronger. (Of course 30 years ago I was 40 lbs. lighter and 20 times stronger.) I'm sure I could get my daughter's husband to do it - she would gladly volunteer him - but I don't really want to do that. He works hard enough as it is and this time of the year he's putting in a lot of overtime to boot. (He does AC install and repair and it's been in the 90's and 100's here lately.)

Bah. I guess whinging about it won't get the dang job done. Must be about time for "round 2". I'll likely be watering the yard by hand tonight. We used to do that back in the day anyway.

New neighbors, don't think they know they have sprinklers over there  they don't speak English they are  Italian so says another neighbor. They are out there with hoses also! New property so don't think there is a problem  with the sprinklers . I would help if I could but have no clue how to turn their sprinklers on. We live in very nice mobile homes in a beautiful park . Thinking of calling the office to get one of our  guys that work here to show them the way to turn it on put the sprinklers on a schedule!

Edited by Reader0108598

20 hours ago, Thrak said:

I know how you feel my son is a state Trooper works doubles and details sleeps for a few minutes and gets up to spend some time with his wife and kids if he knew how many times I call others and pay  for help he would have a fit! But cannot bring myself to call him unless  it is an emergency!

Edited by Reader0108598