Nonrefundable cruiseline

Ontario Cruiser

4 hours ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

Ask your airline to provide you or your travel agent with a waiver code then phone ChoiceAir with it i just did and will get my refund for my non-refundable ticket from Celebrity in 5 to 10 business days.

OntarioCruiser

Did you book with Air Canada by any chance?

4 hours ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

Ask your airline to provide you or your travel agent with a waiver code then phone ChoiceAir with it i just did and will get my refund for my non-refundable ticket from Celebrity in 5 to 10 business days.

OntarioCruiser

That is great information, had no idea such a thing existed. I've gotten a refund due to a radical change in itinerary and free flight changes as well, but never heard of a mechanism of "waiver code". Thanks for sharing. 

On 3/25/2020 at 12:00 PM, Ontario Cruiser said:

Just spoke to Celebrity  AS Of MARCH 24th they changed the rules about nonrefundable Now even though Celebrity CANCELLED the booking they will not refund us air

People who had their cruises cancelled up to March 12th did get non refundable air cancelled.

I was told yesterday that my non-refundable air was cancelled when I phoned at 6pm but I was told wrong.

I am furious and haven't finished fighting

Ontario Cruiser

Sadly it was not Celebrity that changed the rules but the airlines. Celebrity is stuck. The tickets are in passenger names. Celebrity cannot get refunds. Only the passenger can get credit.

Much like the FCC for cruising the change is within the contract.  The alternative would be to sue and force the TA - a separate company from RCCL - to eat the tickets and go BK. Then you end up with nothing.

5 hours ago, az_tchr said:

The tickets are in passenger names. Celebrity cannot get refunds. Only the passenger can get credit.

I’m not sure this is the case??

My understanding that “Flights by Celebrity” are acting as your agent, very much in the same way as if you used a travel agent to book a cruise with Celebrity.

If Celebrity cancel a cruise, then they are the ones that should be dealing with this matter with the airline.

My expectation would be that the airline would apply whatever rules or ticket conditions they are currently operating under. By that I mean, if flight cancelled by TA (acting for pax) or if flight cancelled by airline.

I’d say it would be a good time to do nothing until much closer to flight date, in the hope that the airline cancels or changed flights. Passengers are more likely to get a better outcome in this instance. 

Since we nearly always book while on board, we put down only $100 pp deposits. I thought that was an easy risk to get a  lower rate on various cruises we have booked. sometimes a LOT lower rate. Well, it turns out that X says that is a  reduced deposit "special" and are now charging us the usual $250 pp deposit on our cancelled cruise. Maybe everybody else knew this, but I didn't. 

2 hours ago, 39august said:

Since we nearly always book while on board, we put down only $100 pp deposits. I thought that was an easy risk to get a  lower rate on various cruises we have booked. sometimes a LOT lower rate. Well, it turns out that X says that is a  reduced deposit "special" and are now charging us the usual $250 pp deposit on our cancelled cruise. Maybe everybody else knew this, but I didn't. 

I knew that 😉

3 hours ago, 39august said:

When did you cancel?  Before final payment?  I was told explicitly that if I cancel prior to final payment I would forfeit the $100 pp depost and nothing more.   If after final payment yes I understood it reverted to full deposit.

We currently have a NRD on a December Summit cruise.  Who knows what the world will look like then, but, I'm already considering moving this deposit to another cruise.  I know there will be a penalty to move the deposit, I'm just wondering, do I have to pick a specific cruise to move the deposit to?  Or can I just receive FCC for whatever remains of our deposit minus the change fee and use that FCC to book at a later time?  

6 hours ago, MarLieb said:

We currently have a NRD on a December Summit cruise.  Who knows what the world will look like then, but, I'm already considering moving this deposit to another cruise.  I know there will be a penalty to move the deposit, I'm just wondering, do I have to pick a specific cruise to move the deposit to?  Or can I just receive FCC for whatever remains of our deposit minus the change fee and use that FCC to book at a later time?  

Could you not just hold on until the summer at least, by then you will have a better picture. There is still a decent chance that cruises in December will go ahead.

13 hours ago, Guindalf said:

You got OBC on your last cruise, right? You can’t expect to not have to pay that back if you cancel. 

We didn't get any OBC to be used on the last cruise during which we deposited an NRD for our next cruise....am I misunderstanding and why would some get this OBC and others not?  And IF we cancel prior to our Aug. final payment for the Dec. cruise, we understand the penalty to be $100 pp which was our deposit.

Edited by oceangoer2

9 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

We didn't get any OBC to be used on the last cruise during which we deposited an NRD for our next cruise....am I misunderstanding and why would some get this OBC and others not?  And IF we cancel prior to our Aug. final payment for the Dec. cruise, we understand the penalty to be $100 pp which was our deposit.

Just checked Celebrity's Cruising with Confidence and your deposits are applied to your FCC.

I still don't understand.   You put down $100 pp onboard for a future reservation with NRD.  Now before final payment you cancel.   My understanding your just done they owe you nothing.

You say they "charged" you the full deposit?  How/when?  And now you are getting the full deposit as FCC?  Doesn't sound right.

Edited by wrk2cruise

I posted originally so that people will know that X charges the full normal deposit back, not the so called "special" $100 pp that we paid on the ship. No idea why X is giving the full $250 pp as FCC instead of penalizing me $100 pp and giving the remaining $150 pp as FCC.  I was prepared to lose $100 pp as that is what I paid. 

3 hours ago, yorky said:

Could you not just hold on until the summer at least, by then you will have a better picture. There is still a decent chance that cruises in December will go ahead.

Oh, yes, definitely.  Our PIF is in late September, so I do have some time.  I'm just trying to figure out what our options are and will probably start looking at other possible dates for 2021.  I just wasn't sure if I had to pick an actual sailing date or if I would get FCC to apply once we've made a decision.