Zaandam and Rotterdam meet at sea

34XB

The Zaandam and Rotterdam have just rendezvous  off Panama according to Cruisetracker.com.  The Rotterdam is bringing medical supplies and additional  supplies from the Oosterdam and medical staff.  HAL sent the Rotterdam from PV as it is the fastest ship in the fleet.  We did the WC on the Rotterdam in 1999 and have always enjoyed her.  May these supplies and additional staff bring comfort to passengers and crew on the Zaandam.

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, 34XB said:

The Zaandam and Rotterdam have just rendezvous  off Panama according to Cruisetracker.com.  The Rotterdam is bringing medical supplies and additional  supplies from the Oosterdam and medical staff.  HAL sent the Rotterdam from PV as it is the fastest ship in the fleet.  We did the WC on the Rotterdam in 1999 and have always enjoyed her.  May these supplies and additional staff bring comfort to passengers and crew on the Zaandam.

Thanks for posting this.  My basic marine traffic site doesn't show them as being out of range.  

12 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

I am soooo happy with Captain Albert on board the beautiful Rotterdam!

She got her job done!

Gods speed to all and bless the passengers and crew on Zaandam! 
Denise😊

I have been wondering why Captain Alberts Blog has not had a post in 3 days; they were allowing him to post daily even from being laid up in PV but now "hush".  A little more transparency would be nice. 

13 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I have been wondering why Captain Alberts Blog has not had a post in 3 days; they were allowing him to post daily even from being laid up in PV but now "hush".  A little more transparency would be nice. 

I'm sure he'll post soon along with pics of the rendezvous! 😉 There might have been some "extra" guidelines placed on him due to the sensitivity and fluidity of this situation; we'll see

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

We were on her in PV to go through the Panama Canal and had to leave on the 15th to fly home from PV! He is a wonderful Captain!! We had to that cruise ca, and we were to be on Oceania out of Miami after our HAL cruise to Europe TA and then another cruise on Oceania in The Med! All ca!

We have till Sunday and we will finally be out of our own self quarantine.

HAL came through today our PCC rebooked our Rotterdam cruise in 2022 again doing Panama Canal! Full 100% FCC applied and 

I have a refund on my credit card of full cruise price to apply towards the cruise! 
Sorry for getting off track! At least I had a brief moment of not having to think of all the stuff going on here and around the world.

We live in San Diego and we are in a stay at home and finally getting into a routine!

Thanks for your response!

I also agree more transparency is nice👍
Denise😊

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

This is just a guess on my part, but I think it’s because they plan to transfer some passengers and they want to stay hush about it. 

2 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

This is just a guess on my part, but I think it’s because they plan to transfer some passengers and they want to stay hush about it. 

No they would'nt transfer passengers to Rotterdam and thus create two ships who can't dock anywhere.

Cpt Albert not blogging is clearly a decision from higher up. It has happened before that he mentioned/explained an incident that occured in his blog. A few day's later that day's blog disappeared from the HAL website never to return. 

10 minutes ago, ATC said:

Is Rotterdam going thru the Canal also?  It looks closer to the Canal than Zaandam.

We will probably know in a couple of hours.  Not knowing whether Zaandam is cleared to transit the canal, makes it hard to speculate.  The Rotterdam MAY be holding at Balboa anchorage to assist Zaandam until/if they get a transit time.

The Rotterdam schedule going forward is on the west coast, so it would be a big move to have her accompany Zaandam back to Fort Lauderdale/Miami/Port Canaveral/wherever.  There still is the possibility that both ships could proceed to the west coast if there is difficulty getting clearance. Their current movement would suggest that the transit option is still possible. The Zaandam's schedule going forward was Canada/New England so that poses another problem if it ends up on the west coast.  The paramount issue must be what is best for the passengers and crew, of course.  I am certain that the best decision will be made.  They have their hands full!!

Fortunately you have the legendary Captain Albert Schoonderbeek on the Rotterdam and 23 year veteran Captain Ane Smit (according to Captain Alberts blog) on the Zaandam.  Can someone verify that??  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zippercat said:

Maybe Rotterdam is carrying virus tests from Zaandam to a shore laboratory at Panama City?  

Good thinking!   

In any case, I doubt if they would separate until all possible assistance was rendered.

Edited by Max2003

7 minutes ago, Max2003 said:

We will probably know in a couple of hours.  Not knowing whether Zaandam is cleared to transit the canal, makes it hard to speculate.  The Rotterdam MAY be holding at Balboa anchorage to assist Zaandam until/if they get a transit time.

The Rotterdam schedule going forward is on the west coast, so it would be a big move to have her accompany Zaandam back to Fort Lauderdale/Miami/Port Canaveral/wherever.  There still is the possibility that both ships could proceed to the west coast if there is difficulty getting clearance. Their current movement would suggest that the transit option is still possible. The Zaandam's schedule going forward was Canada/New England so that poses another problem if it ends up on the west coast.  The paramount issue must be what is best for the passengers and crew, of course.  I am certain that the best decision will be made.  They have their hands full!!

Fortunately you have the legendary Captain Albert Schoonderbeek on the Rotterdam and 23 year veteran Captain Ane Smit (according to Captain Alberts blog) on the Zaandam.  Can someone verify that??  

Rotterdam is actually scheduled to be in Europe going forward (spring and summer), so it appears she is getting “on the right side” of the Canal for whatever ultimately happens.  Also, Captain Albert Schoonderbeek is actually on Rotterdam as a Traveling Master for training, audits, etc.  His stay on Rotterdam got extended because they aren’t allowing changes of personnel as of a few weeks ago.  Rotterdam is under the command of Bas Van Dreumel.

Edited by ShipsAreTheBest
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ShipsAreTheBest said:

Rotterdam is actually scheduled to be in Europe going forward (spring and summer), so it appears she is getting “on the right side” of the Canal for whatever ultimately happens.  Also, Captain Albert Schoonderbeek is actually on Rotterdam as a Traveling Master for training, audits, etc.  His stay on Rotterdam got extended because they aren’t allowing changes of personnel as of a few weeks ago.  Rotterdam is under the command of Bas Van Dreumel.

Thanks for the correction!   

Edited by Max2003

13 minutes ago, conwakr said:

that's expensive testing considering the cost to go through the Canal!

Panama City is on the Pacific side, where the Rotterdam and Zandam currently are sailing.  So taking tests there for processing does not require a canal transit. As I understand it, canal transits require advance scheduling so Rotterdam may not be able to transit as soon as Zandam.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zippercat said:

Panama City is on the Pacific side

Oh for goodness sakes..I know that....My brain cells are atrophying from being inside for 2 weeks and definitely not enough coffee this morning.  Thanks for the wack to the head!

Edited by conwakr
typo
  • Haha 2

What is the cost for one of these ships to transit the canal?  I know the fare is based on berth count and not necessarily headcount; I have to imagine somewhere in the 250-350k range for a smaller ship but someone here probably knows more precisely 

44 minutes ago, Max2003 said:

...................................... and 23 year veteran Captain Ane Smit (according to Captain Alberts blog) on the Zaandam.  Can someone verify that??  

Capt. Ane Jan Smit (standing, far right), with HAL since 1994, Captain since 2012, is in command of Zaandam, while Capt. Bas van Dreumel, with HAL since 1998, also captain since 2012, is Rotterdam's master 

HAL Captain Ane Jan Smit.jpg

HAL Captain Bas van Dreumel #2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for this up-to-date info, especially the part about the Rotterdam not facing the canal anymore. It is incredibly tense sitting here at home wondering what is going on for those folks (pax and crew) and the Zaandam. Did the transfer of goods/supplies take place? Was the fear of transferring passengers unfounded? Such brave souls one and all. I can't even imagine what everyone on board both ships is going through.