Zaandam and Rotterdam meet at sea

34XB

24 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

What is the cost for one of these ships to transit the canal?  I know the fare is based on berth count and not necessarily headcount; I have to imagine somewhere in the 250-350k range for a smaller ship but someone here probably knows more precisely 

The cost for Zuiderdam to do the partial last month was about $345,000 according to the Captain at the Q&A, so I would think Zaandam is somewhere in the range you mention.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Petunia1950 said:

Rotterdam was headed directly toward the Canal and she's now turned away.  I have no idea what that means.

It would appear that they assigned Rotterdam a mooring spot out with the tankers.   We will see where the Zaandam moors. My guess is that they will try to get close together.

image.thumb.png.e45016dcbf1f807eb041c1be26f3e6d8.png

As of 11 am EDT Rotterdam has turned away from the approaches to the canal and is listing its destination as "Anchorage" Port Balboa, Panama, which is to the west of the canal entrance. Zaandam, a few miles further south, is still roughly in line with the Panama canal queue. But she could veer off too as did Rotterdam.

Apologies copies Max2003 post

Edited by voyageur9
explains double post
  • Like 1

A long tender ride, but a short helicopter flight to the Panama Pacifico Airport. I really hate to be speculating, but could the faster Rotterdam have the tests from the Zandaam? They could be choppered off to a chartered plane at the airport and be at any of a number of US labs this afternoon.

Again, just speculating. I've been following this and am anxiously awaiting the facts. In the meantime, my crazy brain has been going through lots of crazy "what ifs".

My heart and prayers go out to all involved.

7 hours ago, jakkojakko said:

No they would'nt transfer passengers to Rotterdam and thus create two ships who can't dock anywhere.

Cpt Albert not blogging is clearly a decision from higher up. It has happened before that he mentioned/explained an incident that occured in his blog. A few day's later that day's blog disappeared from the HAL website never to return. 

Looks like you’re wrong, according to the flu thread. 

Of course I can be wrong. I read the Zaandam flu posts and there is mention of transfer but no source. If they really do it, I think it is a big mistake. Local authorities will then consider both ships to be contaminated, doubling the problem.

• Like 2

The Rotterdam may be preparing to bunker.  Captain Albert mentioned in his blog that the ship would have leave PV to get fuel as they could not bunker there.  When we were on the Rotterdam in January, we anchored the night before the canal transit to bunker. The Zaandam probably also needs to refuel. 

Just speculation, but a shoreside boat could come pick up any test kits to take back to shore. 

New update from Holland America Line on Facebook:

Quoted from Facebook

UPDATE - March 27, 9:45AM PT/12:45PM ET:
Zaandam is currently off the coast of Panama and rendezvoused with sister ship Rotterdam at 7:30 p.m. local time yesterday, March 26. We received approval from Panamanian authorities to conduct ship-to-ship operations at anchor between the two vessels. Medical supplies and additional medical staff were transferred to Zaandam.

Today we announced a plan to transfer groups of healthy Zaandam guests to Rotterdam, with strict protocols for this process developed in conjunction with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Only those who have not been ill will be moved, and health screenings will be conducted before transferring. Priority for the first guests to transfer will be given to those on Zaandam with inside staterooms and who are over 70. Once aboard Rotterdam, all guests will continue to remain in their staterooms until disembarkation. Any guests who are currently ill, or in isolation as a close contact, and all crew will remain on Zaandam.

While the onward plan for both ships is still being finalized, we continue to work with the Panamanian authorities on approval to transit the Panama Canal for sailing to Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Yesterday a number of patients with respiratory symptoms were tested for COVID-19 and two individuals tested positive. Out of an abundance of caution, on March 22 when Zaandam first saw a number of guests reporting to the medical center with influenza-like illness symptoms, we took immediate protective measures, including asking all guests to self-isolate in their staterooms and implementing all other appropriate precautions that have been developed in coordination with the CDC. All guests and crew received face masks yesterday and were provided with instructions on when and how to wear them.

Currently, 53 guests (4%) and 85 crew (14%) have reported to Zaandam’s medical center with influenza-like illness symptoms. There are 1,243 guests and 586 crew on board. On Zaandam there are four doctors and four nurses. On Rotterdam there are two doctors and four nurses.

Holland America Line can confirm that four older guests have passed away on Zaandam. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families and we are doing everything we can to support them during this difficult time.

Complimentary telephone counseling services from our care partner, Empathia, have been made available to guests and crew if they would like extra support during this time. For those with family members on board, they can call the following numbers for information: 877-425-2231 or 206-626-7398.

Zaandam was sailing a South America cruise that departed Buenos Aires, Argentina, on March 7 and was originally scheduled to end at San Antonio, Chile, on March 21. Due to global health concerns, Holland America Line made the decision to suspend its global cruise operations for 30 days and end its current cruises in progress as quickly as possible so guests could return home. No one has been off the ship since March 14 in Punta Arenas, Chile.

Edited by GeorgeCharlie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The Rotterdam may be preparing to bunker.  Captain Albert mentioned in his blog that the ship would have leave PV to get fuel as they could not bunker there.  When we were on the Rotterdam in January, we anchored the night before the canal transit to bunker. The Zaandam probably also needs to refuel. 

Just speculation, but a shoreside boat could come pick up any test kits to take back to shore. 

Everyone needs to go take a look at the press release that was just announced by HAL. This will answer a lot of what is going on right now. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/ships/ms-zaandam/statement-regarding-zaandam/

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jakkojakko said:

Of course I can be wrong. I read the Zaandam flu posts and there is mention of transfer but no source. If they really do it, I think it is a big mistake. Local authorities will then consider both ships to be contaminated, doubling the problem.

The source that confirmed the “alleged” post is a passenger on board the Zaandam. So it is happening.

Now I can only hope that the right people have been involved in this decision, so that everyone involved is kept as safe as possible. 

Stay well everyone.

Just now, cat shepard said:

The source that confirmed the “alleged” post is a passenger on board the Zaandam. So it is happening.

Now I can only hope that the right people have been involved in this decision, so that everyone involved is kept as safe as possible. 

Stay well everyone.

Time to go check out what was just released by HAL

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/ships/ms-zaandam/statement-regarding-zaandam/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

New update from Holland America Line on Facebook:

Quoted from Facebook

UPDATE - March 27, 9:45AM PT/12:45PM ET: ...
 Priority for the first guests to transfer will be given to those on Zaandam with inside staterooms and who are over 70. Once aboard Rotterdam, all guests will continue to remain in their staterooms until disembarkation. Any guests who are currently ill, or in isolation as a close contact, and all crew will remain on Zaandam.

Glad to hear that the passengers in the inside staterooms are being given priority. I would hate to be confined to an inside stateroom for any extended period of time.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

I'm sure he'll post soon along with pics of the rendezvous! 😉 There might have been some "extra" guidelines placed on him due to the sensitivity and fluidity of this situation; we'll see

Thank you for your wisdom, yet again.  

• Like 2