Carnival update

Bin man

1 hour ago, Bin man said:

Now not updating till Monday 30th

Our cruise is scheduled for April 12th. They can't leave announcing the cancellation much later.

Now BoJo is laid up, perhaps they are hoping that ABTA can force through the new cancellation rules.

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Our cruise is scheduled for April 12th. They can't leave announcing the cancellation much later.

Now BoJo is laid up, perhaps they are hoping that ABTA can force through the new cancellation rules.

Just a thought, but I wonder if ABTA’s attempt to change the law might be curtailed by the fact that Parliament is now effectively suspended? However, on the basis that many travel companies, including P&O, seem to have already adopted the advice as if it is already enshrined in law, this might be a vain hope!

Its strange that the only Carnival Corporation cruise line saying anything about when they plan to update is Carnival Cruise Line.  I can't see anything from any of the others at the moment...

OK, so Carnival have cancelled a few more but I noticed this from both them and Celebrity

Celebrity will deny boarding for all guests with one or more severe chronic medical conditions as specified by the U.S. CDC. Additionally, boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.

That's going to be fun, getting a letter from the doctor!!

Also, P&O Australia   "

In Australia, P&O Cruises will supended its operations until May 14, 2020, a month after the previously announced resumption date, affecting ten Pacific Dawn and Pacific Explorer voyages.

In New Zealand, P&O will suspend voyages until June 30, 2020, consistent with the NZ Government's approach, impacting 11 Pacific Aria cruises.

Edited by jeanlyon

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

That's going to be fun, getting a letter from the doctor!!

I wouldn't want to ask my doctor for a letter because she has told me on several occasions that cruising was the worst possible holiday for anyone due to the potential for any illness to be passed quickly through a captive audience.🙁

46 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I wouldn't want to ask my doctor for a letter because she has told me on several occasions that cruising was the worst possible holiday for anyone due to the potential for any illness to be passed quickly through a captive audience.🙁

I think most doctors are far too busy at the moment to even consider the possibility of finding time to write letters saying you can go on a cruise. Not top priority!

Doctors do it in reverse to say that a patient is not fit, usually for insurance claims but I doubt they will have either the time or the inclination to be bothered with it for the opposite purpose. 

There is also the question of age and disability discrimination. While the governments have the advisory’s in place for these groups they will probably be fine but once these are lifted then there is no justification.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

My doctor said he would need to do a full examination before he could, but as P&O cancelled the cruise it ceased to be needed.

That would seem reasonable as some doctors don't want to take the responsibility of saying you are fit to travel without checking first that you are fit to travel.

There is no way an GP is going to write such a letter.  I could imagine a scene when we didn't have this virus of a GP being willing to do a medical at a cost to you to say that at the time of the medical you would be fit to go. That means nothing the next day.  I used to have to pay to get my scuba letter for diving at a cost.  GP's are independant practicioneers and business so anything would cost.

However they won't do it for nothing.  A couple of years ago I wanted to join a gym as my fitness levels were rubbish which included high blood pressure.  There was no way I was allowed to join the gym unless I got a letter from the GP saying I could do exercise.  The GP's medical union forbids them providing such a letter just in case I (or my family) sued the GP if something went wrong.  It was catch 22.

21 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Exactly my point.  A - it will cost money - B - I don't believe they will do it.

The cruise companies were very quick to bring in their rules following the government's advice. If the advice changed do we all think they will remove the requirements for the 70+ as quickly ?.