Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Yes, amazing how it takes six weeks to offload crew in the Philippines 🇵🇭 and two days in Indonesia 🇮🇩.   Not sure why Singapore, are there more crew to off load?

We don't know for a fact that any crew was disembarked off Tanjun Priok..........

Singapore, or better yet, off Singapore, is a prospective long term layup point, as are some of the Malaysian ports 

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

We don't know for a fact that any crew was disembarked off Tanjun Priok..........

Singapore, or better yet, off Singapore, is a prospective long term layup point, as are some of the Malaysian ports 

Don't you think that these ships should be layed up in cooler places, they would need to run the AC's 24 hrs..?

3 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Don't you think that these ships should be layed up in cooler places, they would need to run the AC's 24 hrs..?

The company has their reasons for doing what they are doing.  Perhaps the ships are welcome where they are laying up.

7 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

If/when they all go in long term layup, they will have a very reduced crew and no need for 100% a/c throughout the entire ship

59 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

If/when they all go in long term layup, they will have a very reduced crew and no need for 100% a/c throughout the entire ship

Mildew and mold?  As some one who has lived in southeast Asia, I know that it takes less effort and costs less money to prevent mildew and mold with adequate climate control than it does to mitigate damage and eliminate odors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

I would think they would would need to preserve a relative temperature without big humidity changes and temp changes inside to protect the interior finish materials. Wood and laminates expand with humidity and shrinks with heat, constant movement leads to cracking and issues with the coatings. I guess it would be a cost to replace vs cost to temper analysis.

Read this week that long term shut-down causes many problems with equipment such as that in the kitchens and laundries, not to mention the damage to plumbing, water makers, electrical connections, art work, furniture, veneers and all the rest.

Much of the complicated equipment takes some time to bring back on-line and often requires the assistance of factory representatives and experts.

None of this is easy.

2 hours ago, mame42 said:

Mildew and mold?  As some one who has lived in southeast Asia, I know that it takes less effort and costs less money to prevent mildew and mold with adequate climate control than it does to mitigate damage and eliminate odors.

2 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

I would think they would would need to preserve a relative temperature without big humidity changes and temp changes inside to protect the interior finish materials. Wood and laminates expand with humidity and shrinks with heat, constant movement leads to cracking and issues with the coatings. I guess it would be a cost to replace vs cost to temper analysis.

Yes and yes! I did not say they're going to turn the a/c off...........

• Like 1

If I. Remember correctly Capt Mercer stated in one of his blogs after we left the ship that the ac would  be secured in most of the unoccupied  spaces on order to conserve fuel. It's also possible that our luggage may have been moved to some kind of staging area maybe a storeroom below decks to facilitate off loading when the time comes and done while manpower was still  available

53 minutes ago, FRANKIEDNYC said:

If I. Remember correctly Capt Mercer stated in one of his blogs after we left the ship that the ac would  be secured in most of the unoccupied  spaces on order to conserve fuel. It's also possible that our luggage may have been moved to some kind of staging area maybe a storeroom below decks to facilitate off loading when the time comes and done while manpower was still  available

My understanding is the luggage is on A deck in a secure air conditioned area.  I think someone posted that on FB World Cruise group.

8 hours ago, richwmn said:

Singapore seems to be the "lay up" position for several HAL ships, as well as other lines.

I would think from the crew's perspective being off the coast of Singapore would be great.  I love the parts of Malaysia we have visited but for a long "lay up" Singapore would be a bit more exciting.  I have no idea how these lay-up positions are chosen but cost must be a factor.  What a journey!!!  Cherie 

6 hours ago, mame42 said:

It was on the Princess Message Board, I think, that I posted a question about "cold lay-up" like what has been done by the US government for many unneeded merchant marine ships.  A poster with much more maritime knowledge than I have and whose views I have come to respect responded with what the result of such would be for a cruise ship.  The interior damage could be sufficient to warrant the gutting of the vessel and starting over.    

Unless they decide to take our luggage back to Ft Lauderdale on the Amsterdam,. Our suitcases will probably be spending a month or two in a hot container.  Just remembering we left a bag full of our pillow chocolates and other candy we received as gifts in one of our bags. I wonder what that stuff will be like when it gets to Pennsylvania.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FRANKIEDNYC said:

Unless they decide to take our luggage back to Ft Lauderdale on the Amsterdam,. Our suitcases will probably be spending a month or two in a hot container.  Just remembering we left a bag full of our pillow chocolates and other candy we received as gifts in one of our bags. I wonder what that stuff will be like when it gets to Pennsylvania.

but, but, but....what about my Tim Tams???

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, FRANKIEDNYC said:

I would suspect they would be spoiled unless they were kept cold.