Post Corona, will every ship still sail?

22 minutes ago, M&A said:

That's right,  look at Florida,  millions from all over the world come to Florida in Feb/March to go on cruise ships,  visit Disney and just come to the beaches.    Also it has the highest percentage of retired/elderly people anywhere,  you would've thought that their death rate would be much higher but  only 354 right now.      The population of Florida 21 MILLION,  15,883 cases,  the province of Quebec with only 6 million people has 500 deaths and 20,000 cases.

What are they doing right in Florida?   what happened in Quebec?

South Florida and Orlando hit hard but we don’t live on top of each other like in NYC. 

34 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

"7.68% of the Swedes who have tested positive for COVID-19 have died of the virus."

In Sweden only the very sick and people working in healthcare gets tested.

"While Sweden’s elevated case fatality rate could be a result of its low testing rates compared to its neighbors."

Time will tell.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

"7.68% of the Swedes who have tested positive for COVID-19 have died of the virus."

In Sweden only the very sick and people working in healthcare gets tested.

"While Sweden’s elevated case fatality rate could be a result of its low testing rates compared to its neighbors."

Time will tell.

Agree. Stay safe

42 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

If they are open, and sailing on Sept 6th I will be there. Everyone has their own mind to make up and I respect that.

It every post I have said that maybe by September.  At the earliest.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hobby3333 said:

It every post I have said that maybe by September.  At the earliest.

Woo Hoo lets hope that is true. Bags are packed already. Our cancelled cruise still comes on when I sign in to Royals website. Just 31 days, 😭. Rescheduled cruise, Oasis Sept. 6th won't show up till FCC is issued, then applied then a new, long @ss countdown begins again. So its 😭 because of the length and we were so close to Oasis but its also 😃 because we have a countdown at least.

On 4/9/2020 at 1:51 PM, M&A said:

That's right,  look at Florida,  millions from all over the world come to Florida in Feb/March to go on cruise ships,  visit Disney and just come to the beaches.    Also it has the highest percentage of retired/elderly people anywhere,  you would've thought that their death rate would be much higher but  only 354 right now.      The population of Florida 21 MILLION,  15,883 cases,  the province of Quebec with only 6 million people has 500 deaths and 20,000 cases.

What are they doing right in Florida?   what happened in Quebec?

And this is more of the denial and deflection. We have one poster blaming the poor US results on a hotspot in New York and then another picking a non-hotspot in the US to compare to a Canadian hotspot.  Cherry picking your data to give you false equivalencies is sad.

To date the US has over 34,000 deaths due to the virus. Canada has about 1300. Comparing the two countries per capita the US is not 10% higher, or 20% higher, or even 50% higher. It's over 300% higher and it's not getting better.

Said it before and saying it again, with their wealth and resources the US should be crushing this. But the opposite is happening. It was happening last week. It's still happening now. Cherry pick all you like, it will still be happening next week and next month.

Blame New York, blame Democrats, Republicans, doesn't matter. Nothing is happening that is going to change that ratio. In fact it will probably get worse.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, trajan said:

And this is more of the denial and deflection. We have one poster blaming the poor US results on a hotspot in New York and then another picking a non-hotspot in the US to compare to a Canadian hotspot.  Cherry picking your data to give you false equivalencies is sad.

To date the US has over 34,000 deaths due to the virus. Canada has about 1300. Comparing the two countries per capita the US is not 10% higher, or 20% higher, or even 50% higher. It's over 300% higher and it's not getting better.

Said it before and saying it again, with their wealth and resources the US should be crushing this. But the opposite is happening. It was happening last week. It's still happening now. Cherry pick all you like, it will still be happening next week and next month.

Blame New York, blame Democrats, Republicans, doesn't matter. Nothing is happening that is going to change that ratio. In fact it will probably get worse.

Please check this website. Its bad now, we dam well could have done much better in a variety of ways. I know who I blame but will not go into that because its not productive in a forum like this. It is bad now, it will get better. Here in NJ by May 4 we are down to 0 deaths per day. You can check the country as a whole, each state individually and other other countries as well. 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Edited by JAMESCC

On 4/9/2020 at 11:14 AM, TheMastodon said:

I think certain ships will resume (fall at the earliest), but many will just be waiting for demand to return.  Sure, cruise dorks or enthusiasts will definitely want to hop on board, but the general public will not.  But who knows?  Is it cheaper for Royal to have a ship sitting around in the ocean with a skeleton crew or a ship that is 1/4 full?   

We love cruising (D+) but there is no way we are getting on a ship until this thing has fizzled out completely or there is a vaccine.  Furthermore, there shouldn't be cruises again until there is a vaccine.   Someone gets on a ship perfectly healthy and 4 days into the trip they get sick and test positive - they have already exposed who knows how many people - and then they all spread it and here we go again.  You can't throw enough soap/hand sanitizer to try to band aide something like this.   I've said it once and i'll say it again - I cannot believe people were getting on ships in Feb/March.  

We are D+ also....not having any panic attacks concerning when we will cruise next.

My opinion....frequent cruisers seem to be the ones who are willing to wait...been there, done that many times.

On our group for our upcoming cruise, it would seem it is the first time cruisers, those who have booked their "Dream" vacation, etc, etc, that are the most anxious and will get onboard no matter what the risks....the veterans are being sound minded (IMO), taking FCC, refunds, talking about waiting it out till next year if need be.
We have a cruise booked for this August....I will take the refund, turn around and make a deposit ion a cruise next summer, and use the remaining money to plan a land based get away.
If airlines are still risky, then we can plan a road trip this summer.

This is all my opinion.

On 4/9/2020 at 11:14 AM, TheMastodon said:

I think certain ships will resume (fall at the earliest), but many will just be waiting for demand to return.  Sure, cruise dorks or enthusiasts will definitely want to hop on board, but the general public will not.  But who knows?  Is it cheaper for Royal to have a ship sitting around in the ocean with a skeleton crew or a ship that is 1/4 full?   

We love cruising (D+) but there is no way we are getting on a ship until this thing has fizzled out completely or there is a vaccine.  Furthermore, there shouldn't be cruises again until there is a vaccine.   Someone gets on a ship perfectly healthy and 4 days into the trip they get sick and test positive - they have already exposed who knows how many people - and then they all spread it and here we go again.  You can't throw enough soap/hand sanitizer to try to band aide something like this.   I've said it once and i'll say it again - I cannot believe people were getting on ships in Feb/March.  

1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

Please check this website. Its bad now, we dam well could have done much better in a variety of ways. I know who I blame but will not go into that because its not productive in a forum like this. It is bad now, it will get better. Here in NJ by May 4 we are down to 0 deaths per day. You can check the country as a whole, each state individually and other other countries as well. 

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

I am a "Essential" worker in NJ....the death rate will never get to Zero anytime soon....at least not here in the NJ/NY area.

They will ease the quarantine up, and when people will begin to commute again, there will be another surge. We're planning on it with supplies, etc. The population density is the cause of being a hotspot, and will continue to be so.
The rest of the country may see drastic improvements, but not here. Predicting this will go on in waves until next spring, at least.

Edited by B-52
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, B-52 said:

I am a "Essential" worker in NJ....the death rate will never get to Zero anytime soon....at least not here in the NJ/NY area.

They will ease the quarantine up, and when people will begin to commute again, there will be another surge. We're planning on it with supplies, etc. The population density is the cause of being a hotspot, and will continue to be so.
The rest of the country may see drastic improvements, but not here. Predicting this will go on in waves until next spring, at least.

I am also an essential worker in NJ, technically a first responder. I am just going by the numbers. This is a reputable website.

2 hours ago, B-52 said:

This is exactly why cruising won't happen until there is a vaccine.  Can't have "healthy" people traveling from NYC, LA, etc etc and then show symptoms when on board.  These folks could potentially infect others on board who won't show symptoms until they get home and of course will have already spread in the airport and airplane and we start the process all over!  If we aren't going to have crowds in collegiate and NFL stadiums (potentially) then how on earth do these dorks on CC think cruising should resume??!?!  Trust me, I enjoy cruising just as much as anyone on here but it would be incredibly irresponsible for cruise lines to fire up the boats and start sailing agin.  CDC won't allow it until vaccine is available - just my guess! 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, B-52 said:

We have a cruise booked for this August....I will take the refund, turn around and make a deposit ion a cruise next summer, and use the remaining money to plan a land based get away.
If airlines are still risky, then we can plan a road trip this summer.

This is all my opinion.

A little confused.  If you have a cruise booked for this August, you have not made final payment yet, so whatever refund you get will be the only monies available to flip for your replacement  cruise next summer.  So how can you possibly  have money left over to plan a land based getaway.  Unless of course you decided to pay off your cruise early and that makes zero sense.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 8:40 PM, trajan said:

And that’s number 4. I do not mean this personally. I have seen this from a lot of Americans the past couple months. Denial and a baseless view that the US has or will handle this well. Every presumption I’ve heard that’s been put forward about how the US would be able to take care of this problem better than others has been proven false.

Italy and Spain are basically poor compared to the US. From a resource comparison the US should be handling this exceptionally well. But the opposite is happening. The US is on track to become one of if not the country hardest hit by the virus. And it’s not happening by accident. Literally breaks my heart watching this but it is what it is. Wishing everyone all the best.

The US should be the most powerfull nation in the world,  which from certain proportions they would be. But when you take a close look the country has a health care system that is as good as non existent, there is no social security, if someone looses their job they end up on the streets as there is no proper unemployment insurance. They do not learn from mistakes, just mentioning a few such as Pearl Harbour, 9/11  or now the COIVD-19 virus. There is absolutely no leadership in that country no matter if democrats or Republicans and as long as no new generation of capable politicians will arise that wil lead the county as needed a lot of things will remain in the US on levels of a developing country which is a absolute shame.

No country was properly prepared for COVID-19 however for countries such as the US you would exect to have a working health care system that doesn't collapse right away and here it failed completely.

At the end the ones really to be blamed are corrupt organozations such as the WHO and the UN who indirectly support all actions of the chinese. If China would have taken needed steps to at least inform the world in November when this virus first broke out a lot could have been prevented very likely.

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

A little confused.  If you have a cruise booked for this August, you have not made final payment yet, so whatever refund you get will be the only monies available to flip for your replacement  cruise next summer.  So how can you possibly  have money left over to plan a land based getaway.  Unless of course you decided to pay off your cruise early and that makes zero sense.

We have a GS booked...made a $500 dollar deposit. We are weeks away from final remaining payment of $500.

They currently have about $5,300 of my money.

If I cancel today, from my deposit, I loose $100 per person, remaining $300 goes towards FCC....I still Get a refund of $4,800 dollars give or take, to put back into MY bank account and use how how I wish.

I've already went online and canceled what shore excursions we had, and 3 reservations for 2 at specialty restaurants 

Edited by B-52

My thoughts are anything is possible and I’m done trying to figure out the date cruises resume.  When RCI opens back up, we’ll be back onboard soon thereafter since we can’t afford to buy our own cruise ship and staff it with awesome people like Royal does.    

Lots of misinformation out there.  Lots!

Some people are really good at pointing out numbers and stats.  The good researchers.  Lots of people are talking about what there are hearing or seeing in the media outlets.  The good message repeaters.  But have they even researched counterpoints though?  

How about if the numbers, to begin with, are garbage?  Garbage in= garbage out.  The reported number of US deaths due to Covid-19 and the reported number of positive US Covid-19 cases are being inflated.  Gonna keep that statement short and sweet, but its true and at some point it will come out.  

How many of us actually know someone who’s had Covid-19?  Not that many from what I’m reading.  The few people we know of who’ve had it did recover.  We know of hospitals prepared for Covid-19 that have since laid off staff as the great influx of patients never happened.

Time to make a run for more TP.   (Not really)

On 4/17/2020 at 11:23 AM, TheMastodon said:

This is exactly why cruising won't happen until there is a vaccine.  Can't have "healthy" people traveling from NYC, LA, etc etc and then show symptoms when on board.  These folks could potentially infect others on board who won't show symptoms until they get home and of course will have already spread in the airport and airplane and we start the process all over!  If we aren't going to have crowds in collegiate and NFL stadiums (potentially) then how on earth do these dorks on CC think cruising should resume??!?!  Trust me, I enjoy cruising just as much as anyone on here but it would be incredibly irresponsible for cruise lines to fire up the boats and start sailing agin.  CDC won't allow it until vaccine is available - just my guess! 

Yes, exactly.

Science is science - and COVID doesn't care about individuals' preferences.

Cruising won't be a thing again for quite some time. Not because your or I say so,  I but because people can't simply wish away a global pandemic. 

• Like 1

Keep posting links to stories.  It’s goes in circles.  Mass hysteria.  Be a part of it.  

I really don’t like it that some people are dying, especially people in the cruise industry.  Finding out what causes some to die while most others recover is paramount IMO.

However as deaths get reported in the media, the truth is we do not know the circumstances around most of the Covid-19 deaths.  Most of the infected persons recover at home or are asymptomatic.

Elderly patients developing pneumonia from sudden loss of their mobility happens.  During pre-Covid-19 time, a death in a similar scenario would be labeled as due to respiratory failure from pneumonia.  

A scenario I know about that is happening now is a where an elderly patient being treated for a hip fracture, develops pneumonia, subsequently dies, and their death gets labeled as due to Covid-19 without as much as a positive test.   It’s just not right.  WTH is going on?