Should Celebrity stop taking reservations?

Sam.Seattle

When should Celebirty start taking new reservations?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. When should Celebirty start taking new reservations?

• As is currently. No change
    • June 1, 2020
    • August 1, 2020
    • Only after the CDC says the pandemic is over.

12 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

I can imagine there are some folks who will book with Celebrity in hope of a cancelation and getting a 125% FCC just making the financial situation worse for Celebrity. 

I also understand the need to collect deposits and create bookings for the balance sheet. It just seems like the Cruise Lines are premature allowing new bookings as early as May 13, 2020.

What do you think?

125% FCC does not make the financial situation worse for Celebrity. They want the cash deposits now for the cash-flow to make it through the crisis. When they finally start to cruise again, The pool of FCC will inflate the demand and Celebrity will be able to continue to hold their 2021 prices at  >25% higher than 2020 prices.

• Haha 1

What an interesting dilemma. From a consumer's point of view I think that a lower refundable deposit would be a good strategy by Celebrity. That way people can book without tying up too much money and Celebrity won't have to make huge refunds, just the deposits. It should be made clear that any cruises booked in the next 3 months will not get 125% future cruise credit only 100% refund or 100% future cruise credit. People booking cruises now are well aware of the situation and booking a cruise in the hope it will cancel and get a larger credit is just a bad faith transaction. If you are one of the thousands and thousands of passengers who had cruises cancelled then the future cruise credit should allow you to book the same cabin on the same cruise next year at the same rate as the cruise that was cancelled. For those thousands of passengers that were at Sea when this thing broke out their lives were forever changed. A 2 week cruise became a 2 month ordeal and I wonder if some of them are back to work yet. And for some who are still trapped at sea, I'm not sure how they can be made whole again.

• Like 5

Quite an interesting and diverse response for a group of mostly die hard cruising fans.  

After the news of the Eclipse today and the other ships with new virus cases, the industry has a pretty big black eye to deal with.  

It is time for me to take a break and I imagine there will be a glut of vacant rooms to book down the road.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 4:43 PM, bouhunter said:

Only if people are stupid enough to book any sailings in the next 3-4 months.  They aren't going to be sailing.  And doing if for a 125% FCC makes no sense either.  Who knows when they actually sail again, or what prices will be.  Just a bad investment in so many ways.

Promised full refunds in 30 days. Too much drama to book or consider. Health and crew safety first

Cruising is luxury not necessity. We have been on 25 which we love but crew now is concern for them and families. BEST TO HARDEST WORKERS EVER

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

Our refund  is not on our credit card yet althiugh they have marked our file refunded

Why not pause until they catch up...

From past experience, there are at least two separate groups that handle the refund. The first processes the cancellation request and determines what deposit, fare, taxes and port fees are due. Once finished, the file is marked as refunded and the relevant refund information is sent on to accounting for actual payment. Again, as I understand it, the refund of taxes and port fees is handled by a different unit within accounting than the unit handling the other refunds. Because of the multiple offices involved, even at the best of times there can be a delay between the initial processing and notation of the file as refunded and the time that a credit actually hits your card. There can also be a slight delay between the time the refund is initiated and the time or day that the transaction is posted by your financial institution.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Sam.Seattle, it has been very interesting watching the poll results shift over the time since you started the thread. Initially there was almost a 75%-25% split between Options 1 and 4, but now they are tied at 38.58%. I don't know how much of an influence the Eclipse situation has had on the poll. 

I suspect that a lot of people, and not just Cruise Critic members, are getting tired of all the predictions and are simply hunkering down, willing to wait until they get the all clear before expending too much effort planning for the future.

8 hours ago, Fouremco said:

There can also be a slight delay between the time the refund is initiated and the time or day that the transaction is posted by your financial institution.

I agree completely. I just had a non-cruise related merchant issue 2 credit card refunds on the same day. But they posted to my account over 2 days. 

• Like 1

As long as there is a global pandemic in our lives, to which scientists and soothsayers cannot reliably predict when a somewhat antiseptic environment will return, vacation plans of any kind seem trivial and illogical. There will be no more cruising in 2020 and perhaps far into 2021, thanks to this inimical invader that continues to have it's way, worldwide. That is a cold, hard fact.  

No. Celebrity, et al, should not offer reservations, much less accept reservations for future cruise dates. There is too much uncertainty and trepidation, without a modicum of reason as to when the next truly valid sailing date will occur. Until that date, there is much to be done by the entire travel industry. Better to work hard in-house to survive these hard times, rather than rely on passengers past and future to book - at least for now - a cruise to nowhere.

When "global pandemic" is no longer a part of our vocabulary and the ramifications become clear and present but no longer a danger, that will be the time for everyone to start planning once again.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

@Sam.Seattle, it has been very interesting watching the poll results shift over the time since you started the thread. Initially there was almost a 75%-25% split between Options 1 and 4, but now they are tied at 38.58%. I don't know how much of an influence the Eclipse situation has had on the poll.

...and don't forget Zaandam and Rotterdam. They're just a continuation of Diamond & Grand Princess IMO. 

Edited by BEAV

2 minutes ago, BEAV said:

...and don't forget Zaandam and Rotterdam. They're just a continuation of Diamond & Grand Princess IMO. 

Quite right, and there are others still floating around out there. 

OTOH what if some existing drugs, such as the combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin currently being tested in France (or some similar combination), prove to be an effective combination against CV-19 and infected folks start to get better? How long do you think it would take for the WHO pandemic alert to be canceled since there would be an available treatment right now for those infected around the world?

Now, I might be an optimist, but with all of the attention CV-19 is getting right now in the global scientific world and the fortunes that can be made from producing a cure, I have faith a solution is just around the corner. If that happens IMHO it won't take long at all for all of our economies to get back on their feet, to include the cruise industry, and start moving forward again. At least that's my hope.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I think there are many treatments being trialed in many places including China. I have seen several posts mostly by one person (can't recall who) about some concoction proven 100% effective. Seriously????? all that does is make the panicked public burst into the hospital and demand this treatment wasting everyone's time because it doesn't exist or is not proven or is already in short supply for it's intended purpose. So I for one will wait for science to tell me that they have discovered an effective treatment or vaccine. Until then it's best to keep the BS and rumors to yourself. AND NO IT WILL NOT GO AWAY IN THE HEAT. if that was the case OZ would not have had an outbreak yet, having just recently come out of summer and going into fall. 

On 4/2/2020 at 2:13 PM, Fouremco said:

I suspect that a lot of people, and not just Cruise Critic members, are getting tired of all the predictions and are simply hunkering down, willing to wait until they get the all clear before expending too much effort planning for the future.

Yes, I agree... right now option 1 and 4 are exactly the same @ 38.4%. I guess reality is setting in that it may be a long time before we see "normal" again.  

Part of me thinks it's unethical to consider selling deposits for something you don't know if you can deliver. On the other hand, whenever things start back up they need bookings ready to go. 

And finally they haven't refunded me one lousy dime yet that they have promised so maybe they HAVE to sell more in order to meet the outgoing demand. 

Like Madoff 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why? I changed an existing reservation from December 2020 to December 2021. I would have been annoyed had they not allowed me to do so. Plus, avid cruisers want to cruise, and most are figuring 2021 is a good time to book. So let them. It is good for the cruisers and the cruiseline. We cannot say what will happen in 6 months, so let there be hope.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Forums mobile app

• Thanks 1

I do not believe they should stop taking reservations.  Their policies are pretty clear when making a booking that it is indeed flexible.  If future travelers continue to work or have disposable income then they should be able to do whatever they wish with their money.  If individuals are strapped for cash they probably should make better choices. 

I have has 2 cancellations so far (March and May) and most likely a 3rd cancellation on the way for May, but I will cruise again.  Once that cancellation is through I will then have my TA book me for later this year.  The res is paid in full and I am OK floating the money for a vacation that I will eventually take.  I have 2 bookings for next year already that were on the books before any of this.  I recognize that these are my personal choices and will not work for everyone,  but they don't have to, that is the beauty of this life, to each their own.

I personally have been impacted by COVID-19, my brother was positive and made it through thankfully.  I certainly feel for all of the passengers and crew they have been through it while traveling on board a cruise ship and mourn for those that have lost their lives.  The world is frightening during these uncertain times and if you don't wish to cruise again that is your personal choice, please stay off the ship.

Celebrity and Royal are not trying to get over on anyone and I think they have been the most transparent.  They are taking care of TA's and making these cancellation processes pretty easy.  I worry about the travel industry, will my TA's agency stay afloat, what will happen to her and her employees.  So while I still can, I keep booking, and I keep hoping that we get through this to the other side when the time is right. 

I look forward to being greeted as Mr. Kevin, raising a glass, sail away, Cafe Al Bacio, a Captain Kate quote from Confucius, a joke from Captain Tasos and warm and friendly crew that make being at sea the best home away from home a vacationer could have.

Slainte,

Kevin

• Like 1

An earlier poster mentioned Disney taking reservations for after June 1.   Is this for the cruises or for the Park Resorts.   Even though adults, we enjoy having a little Disney in our lives.   We love the Yacht Club resort on the club level and it would be great if they dropped their prices (usually $425 and up) parking and admission to the parks are extra.

The prices fell after 9/11 so hopefully they will n June.   Their ships are also super expensive but we would like to try one in the future if the price falls.

12 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

An earlier poster mentioned Disney taking reservations for after June 1.   Is this for the cruises or for the Park Resorts.   Even though adults, we enjoy having a little Disney in our lives.   We love the Yacht Club resort on the club level and it would be great if they dropped their prices (usually $425 and up) parking and admission to the parks are extra.

The prices fell after 9/11 so hopefully they will n June.   Their ships are also super expensive but we would like to try one in the future if the price falls.

June 1 is WDW.

As of the latest information, the Magic, Dream, and Fantasy are on pause until May 17. Wonder until June 30 (because it does their Alaskan route out of Vancouver).

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

On 4/3/2020 at 11:21 AM, BEAV said:

The worst by far has been Ruby Princess in Australia. Arrived into Sydney on 18th March. Now 18 people dead from Covid and over 700 infections including over 50 crew. And that total does not take into account 900 US UK and Canadian people returning home. There is a criminal investigation currently underway. 

I'd suggest not to book any cruise in Australia or New Zealand right now. 

Edited by Pushka

On 3/30/2020 at 10:19 AM, Sam.Seattle said:

Disney Resorts have ceased taking new reservations until June 1, 2020.  

I can imagine there are some folks who will book with Celebrity in hope of a cancelation and getting a 125% FCC just making the financial situation worse for Celebrity. 

I also understand the need to collect deposits and create bookings for the balance sheet. It just seems like the Cruise Lines are premature allowing new bookings as early as May 13, 2020.

What do you think?

As long as people will give them deposits, they’d be nuts not to

Most everybody has heard the story of the website with a big red button and a warning that says, "Pressing this button will infect your computer with a virus".  It was actually just a stupidity test and thousands of people pressed that button.

Tonight while the deadly Corona-19 virus rages cruise operators have websites that coax you to, "Press this button" and sail away in carefree bliss".

I see only a distinction without a difference between the two.