Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Bucky loves the little grocery/sundry type shop in the port shopping area where the crew members love to go.  They have Presidente Beer to go, 2 for 5 bucks...ice cold.  Great to stop by after a hot day on the way back to the ship.  They also sell a lot of big wheels of Dutch Cheese.  

I know exactly which store you are referring to.    I have bought some shampoos, etc. in there and boy they have a lot of stuff crammed into that store.   never noticed the cheese wheels, will have to check them out next time.    Nor did I know about guavaberries.     Will definitely have to try these beverage options   I think St Maarten is on our February itinerary. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Bucky loves the little grocery/sundry type shop in the port shopping area where the crew members love to go.  They have Presidente Beer to go, 2 for 5 bucks...ice cold.  Great to stop by after a hot day on the way back to the ship.  They also sell a lot of big blocks of Dutch Cheese.  

Know you've got my attention. I like Presidente Beer. I have a few left from a 12 pack in my beer 'fridge. Ok, now there is one less as I'm drinking one as I'm typing this.🍺 Do you remember the name of the store?  I'm familiar with a store that's on the the road (before you enter the pier shopping area shops) that has the big cow out in front of the store that sells big blocks of Dutch cheese.  

• Like 1

Beautiful weather day here today...got a chance to reschedule our hike at Petit Manan wildlife sanctuary.  Big circle loop that opens up to a beach half way through, down near the point.  

Yes, I did remember my hiking shoes!!  😉  Got a chance to take them off and enjoy "picnic on a rock" out by the point.  

20210707_115851.jpg

20210707_104518.jpg

20210707_115618.jpg

20210707_113141.jpg

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I know exactly which store you are referring to.    I have bought some shampoos, etc. in there and boy they have a lot of stuff crammed into that store.   never noticed the cheese wheels, will have to check them out next time.    Nor did I know about guavaberries.     Will definitely have to try these beverage options   I think St Maarten is on our February itinerary. 

We love St. Maarten.  The last few times we have done food tasting/history tours around the island (online tour, not through the ship).  Nice small group tour that takes us all over both the French and Dutch sides.  

Also St. Maarten is where I buy my floppy straw hats!!  😉 

23 minutes ago, island lady said:

Definitely not a fan of Guavaberry liqueur.   😛

All the times we've been to St. Maarten I've never tried the guavaberry liqueur. I just googled it. Very interesting mix of flavors. I may have to stop in the Guavaberry Emporium (16 March) for a free sample to see what I think. Probably better mixed as tropical drink. 🍹

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Know you've got my attention. I like Presidente Beer. I have a few left from a 12 pack in my beer 'fridge. Ok, now there is one less as I'm drinking one as I'm typing this.🍺 Do you remember the name of the store?  I'm familiar with a store that's on the the road (before you enter the pier shopping area shops) that has the big cow out in front of the store that sells big blocks of Dutch cheese.  

Oh I Iove that Dutch cheese shop too!!  The tour I was just talking about is the starting point of the food tours.  They do the cheese samples and "bubbly" there, then load us in a small van for the tour.

No, the store I am talking about that Buck picks up his 2/5 buck beers is a little grocery type store inside the port shopping area near the taxi stands.  

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Oh I Iove that Dutch cheese shop too!!  The tour I was just talking about is the starting point of the food tours.  They do the cheese samples and "bubbly" there, then load us in a small van for the tour.

No, the store I am talking about that Buck picks up his 2/5 buck beers is a little grocery type store inside the port shopping area near the taxi stands.  

Thanks. I know the area very well and will look for it on 16 March. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

All the times we've been to St. Maarten I've never tried the guavaberry liqueur. I just googled it. Very interesting mix of flavors. I may have to stop in the Guavaberry Emporium (16 March) for a free sample to see what I think. Probably better mixed as tropical drink. 🍹

Not for me.  But I did try it once.  Not on the list of Island Lady's favorite drinks.  😛

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, island lady said:

Not for me.  But I did try it once.  Not on the list of Island Lady's favorite drinks.  😛

If I try it and don't like it I can always wash the taste out of my mouth with the Presidente beers I will purchase at Bucky's favorite store. 😁

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Isn't that the only place the ship stops at?

Of course, Port Philipsburg.   @Jimbo was talking about the pier area when you first get off the ships and before the  water taxis. Not in the Philipsburg downtown area.   

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Yes, it's not Guavaberry Emporium, that is in town. I believe you can buy it in a bottle there.

Place I was talking about was on the Pier, after looking at googlemaps, I now know why it isn't where I first told you is because the whole pier area is new now compared to when we were there. It was quite awhile ago since we did a Carribean Cruise.

I believe it was Sharkey's, and ask for the Gravaberry Colada, @dave&kathy were correct.

They had a hurricane recently, and much of what we remember is gone.  Haven’t been there since, hope to see it on December 15, 2021 on the Allure.

2 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

They had a hurricane recently, and much of what we remember is gone.  Haven’t been there since, hope to see it on December 15, 2021 on the Allure.

Our last cruise was March 2019 a B2B on the Freedom (St. Maarten on both legs) and Sharky's was there and very busy both times. 

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Yes, I like the guavaberry colada best.

• Like 2

This was the rest of the inland hike.   Bucky getting tired of pictures.  This is the rock trail.   OK..this one was a bit bigger to climb up on....I am shorter than long legs Bucky.  Hey....leave me behind will you!!!  

Now why am I craving Rocky Road ice cream?   

20210707_122813.jpg

20210707_123142.jpg

20210707_123323.jpg

20210707_124636.jpg

• Like 11

So this morning I invited the mother of my DIL (shall I call her my in-law???) to the same place on the beach BFF invited me for my birthday. Really wanted a "repeat" of Eggs Benedict, until we cruise again...

It was her birthday too, and we made it a "girls' morning".

Pnina & me.jpg

At the neighboring table, the birds had a feast with the left overs....

Birds.jpg

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 16

On 7/6/2021 at 11:17 AM, George C said:

Just docked in St Thomas the Edge is the first ship to dock here in over a year , we were told masks are suggested and they are mandatory inside, I am sure the stores can’t wait to see us. Will go downtown shorty, passengers not vaccinated must do ship tours we have no restrictions, my wife won another couple of hundreds on the slots last night.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.  Hearing conflicting info on mask wearing onboard for vaccinated folks.  Can you share your experience ?  Many thanks!

17 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

So this morning I invited the mother of my DIL (shall I call her my in-law???) to the same place on the beach BFF invited me for my birthday. Really wanted a "repeat" of Eggs Benedict, until we cruise again...

Pnina & me.jpg

Birds.jpg

The color of that water looks amazing.  Hope you had a great day!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Yes, it's not Guavaberry Emporium, that is in town. I believe you can buy it in a bottle there.

Place I was talking about was on the Pier, after looking at googlemaps, I now know why it isn't where I first told you is because the whole pier area is new now compared to when we were there. It was quite awhile ago since we did a Carribean Cruise.

I believe it was Sharkey's, and ask for the Gravaberry Colada, @dave&kathy were correct.

I would have stoped there but it was closed , I hate cruise sponsored shore excursions, now I have a new reason to hate them they walked. 60 or so from the pier so we could take bus to Orient beach , after sitting in bus for 10 or so minutes we discovered there was no working a/c in the bus and we couldn’t open windows, so about half of us on the first bus got off , celebrity refunded our money but another bad cruise sponsored excursion, apparently second bus was ok. 
there are two rccl ships just parked here at the dock without passengers.

20 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Pnina & me.jpg

Birds.jpg

So cool

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Our last cruise was March 2019 a B2B on the Freedom (St. Maarten on both legs) and Sharky's was there and very busy both times. 

OK, I was making the ladies on the boat this weekend cocktails with mango quava juice with Blue Chair (Kenny Chesney) Coconut rum.  They seemed to like them.  What is the difference between quava and quava berry?

3 minutes ago, maggieq said:

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.  Hearing conflicting info on mask wearing onboard for vaccinated folks.  Can you share your experience ?  Many thanks!

Vaccinated passengers do not need to wear masks anywhere , most employees wear masks . In St Thomas we were told masks were mandatory in stores but many had customers and workers without them, 

• Like 4