Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 minute ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I understand that.  They probably have contracts that will last awhile.  Similar to how grain commodities work.  It’s not like they will have to charge more now to cover the current cost.  The contracted amount will eventually run out and only RC knows when that will be.  Total guess for us.  I am sure you remember in the past when they used to note that they could add a surcharge because of the rising cost.  They would say if a the cost of a barrel of gas exceeded $xxx.xx (I don’t remember the amount). They may add a surcharge.  I remember the notice but don’t remember them actually doing it to a cruise we were on.

I remember being hit with a surcharge on at least 1 maybe 2 cruises back around 2008 or 2009 ??    I don't remember how much it was but I remember a bunch of upset people on board talking about it.    I wasn't going to let that make me upset and ruin my cruise.

• Like 1

Just now, Jimbo said:

Not much mess in an air fryer, works well.

Yes, I have cooked bacon in my air fryer too - delicious basically any way you cook it.    I have even cooked thick sliced bacon on my BBQ in summer for hamburgers.   

And pork roll on a BBQ is good too

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I understand that.  They probably have contracts that will last awhile.  Similar to how grain commodities work.  It’s not like they will have to charge more now to cover the current cost.  The contracted amount will eventually run out and only RC knows when that will be.  Total guess for us.  I am sure you remember in the past when they used to note that they could add a surcharge because of the rising cost.  They would say if a the cost of a barrel of gas exceeded $xxx.xx (I don’t remember the amount). They may add a surcharge.  I remember the notice but don’t remember them actually doing it to a cruise we were on.

I would bet the surcharge is added on sooner then when they run out of bought fuel. Why you might say? because they can.........and they know cruiser's will still pay the extra charge to cruise. If things stay like they are now the surcharge will be SOON.

The tractor trailers you see on the highway buying diesel fuel right now.......cost them $1300 -$1500 to fill up their tanks, can you imagine to fill up the tanks of a cruiseship.

The increase for cruiser's is coming soon, whether it's a surcharge or just higher cruise fares.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Keksie said:

@DaniDanielle so glad he is home!

@Ocean Boy It was $4.19 here, if only we could drill for it here.  Sigh.

My expensive hobby is anything fiber related.  My husband's hobby is restoring old tractors big and small including related accessories.

To all the people baking bacon - does it make a mess of the oven and what temp. and time?

400 for about 11-12 minutes is what we do. The baking sheet has foil on it for the drippings, the rack keeps the bacon out of them. You don’t turn the bacon over. 
We only learned about it a few months ago and it’s our go to now. 
I’ll have to check out the inside of the oven…didn’t think about that!

Edited by jagsfan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My Dad was not a cook other than breakfast foods or the BBQ so whenever he had to make us kids lunch in the summer time he used to make these "snappy" sandwiches.    He would also sprinkle fresh chopped oregano from his garden ontop of the tomato too!    I miss him and his simple way of cooking.

My Dad’s one & only specialty was “S.O.S”,  a military staple.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Guess we were poor growing up then, no bacon 😞 on ours. Our's was something like this but we used Velveeta Cheese and tomatoes and spices on slice of bread in the oven.

Used fresh Tomatoes out of Dads garden, had to be dead ripe too, so tasty and juicy!

http://www.italianchips.com/cheese-on-toast/

Tomato And Cheese On Toast – The Simplest Sinergy!

Now that looks delicious. The scrapple, not so much 🤢

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

LOL..........oh, that kraft american cheese slices isn't real cheese is it? I thought that was something they called cheese food, resembling plastic...........

I don’t know if ours was Kraft. 
My mother would send me to the deli for 10 slices of American cheese and she always reminded me to say “sliced thin”.

• Like 3

Just now, Momof3gurlz said:

My Dad used to make that but only him and my Brother would eat it    Me - No way was I eating that as a kid - that looked worse than any vegetable!

Nowadays I will have it maybe once or twice a year.    

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Keksie said:

@DaniDanielle so glad he is home!

@Ocean Boy It was $4.19 here, if only we could drill for it here.  Sigh.

My expensive hobby is anything fiber related.  My husband's hobby is restoring old tractors big and small including related accessories.

To all the people baking bacon - does it make a mess of the oven and what temp. and time?

Is that like gourmet Metamucil? 😂😂🤪

• Haha 6

42 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

One of the perks of working from home is I to get cook while working.     Today I made a chicken, shrimp and sausage gumbo.     I forgot how easy it is to make a gumbo and wonder why I haven't made one in a while.  

That sounds so good and I just got done eating roast!  I have never tried cooking gumbo.  I need to try it sometime.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

That sounds so good and I just got done eating roast!  I have never tried cooking gumbo.  I need to try it sometime.

Here is a quick and easy recipe for chicken and shrimp gumbo.    

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/shrimp-chicken-gumbo

I like spicy but Eric's stomach doesn't, I put sliced jalapeno peppers on top of my serving instead of green onion.

10 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We've always been Samsung fans and like their QLED models.  I've done a lot of research between OLED and QLED.  OLED generally has better picture quality (better black levels, better contrast, but not as good brightness) but the difference in quality vs. higher end QLEDs is probably not noticeable unless you review TVs for a living. 

Since DH has "dabbled" in pixels and resolutions all his professional life, he's leaning towards

Samsung 50'' QLED 4K Smart LED TV QE50Q67A

and me? I've learned to carefully chose my battles...

@DaniDanielle - so relieved that Charlie is home. Being among his dearest for sure will quicken his recovery. Take care of yourself too... you need your strength for Charlie 😘

@sgmn - splendid news!!! DH sometimes quips that "grandkids are the best... I wish we could 'skip' the kids' stage, though 😁😁"

@Ocean Boy - everything is so expensive here... I've gathered that's not the case in US. Currently, we pay 8.23$ per gallon...

@helen haywood Speaking of low riding cars... I once got a ride with neighbors to condolence a former neighbor on the loss of her husband. The ride got an emergency call, and I was left without a ride back. The former neighbor "hitched" me with someone driving a Porsche 911.  The whole trip I felt like touching the road, just awful being so low.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Guess we were poor growing up then, no bacon 😞 on ours. Our's was something like this but we used Velveeta Cheese and tomatoes and spices on slice of bread in the oven.

Used fresh Tomatoes out of Dads garden, had to be dead ripe too, so tasty and juicy!

http://www.italianchips.com/cheese-on-toast/

Tomato And Cheese On Toast – The Simplest Sinergy!

Reminds me of the free tapas that the serve in some Spanish bars called Pan con Tomate.  Grilled bread with tomato pulp, garlic, olive oil in top.  Very simple and very tasty.

19 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I think SOS was also a staple food in my elementary school cafeteria.

As for cooking bacon, we found that a microwave bacon cooker worked pretty well.  It was fast and easy to clean.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Since DH has "dabbled" in pixels and resolutions all his professional life, he's leaning towards

Samsung 50'' QLED 4K Smart LED TV QE50Q67A

and me? I've learned to carefully chose my battles...

Smart woman.  There are some things in which I make the buying decision (anything technology related) and some things in which Micheline makes the buying decision (anything fashion or style related, especially involving color matching).  Both of us have learned to defer to the other for these things.

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

Smart woman.  There are some things in which I make the buying decision and some things in which Micheline makes the buying decision.  Both of us have learned to defer to the other for these things.

I'm learning this with the kitchen remodel.........................

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I remember being hit with a surcharge on at least 1 maybe 2 cruises back around 2008 or 2009 ??    I don't remember how much it was but I remember a bunch of upset people on board talking about it.    I wasn't going to let that make me upset and ruin my cruise.

I think they will put it off as long as they can.  They have momentum of people returning to cruising and they do not want to slow it down. I must of lucked out.  From a small search I noticed that a range of $7 to $35pp.  

• Like 1

Scrolling to try and catch up.  CC has been giving me fits today. 

Glad to hear that Charlie is home.  

I saw a piece in our paper about the jump in gas prices.  I may not want to go home. 

One nice thing about living close to the Ohio border is we can cross over and buy gas for 60 to 75 cents less per gallon than in PA. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Here is a quick and easy recipe for chicken and shrimp gumbo.    

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/shrimp-chicken-gumbo

I like spicy but Eric's stomach doesn't, I put sliced jalapeno peppers on top of my serving instead of green onion.

Added to my recipe bookmarks.  The way it is cooked in intervals reminds me of how low country boil is cooked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

RCI has its prices locked in. They don't pay the going rate every time a ship pulls up to the pump. 

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I would bet the surcharge is added on sooner then when they run out of bought fuel. Why you might say? because they can.........and they know cruiser's will still pay the extra charge to cruise. If things stay like they are now the surcharge will be SOON.

The tractor trailers you see on the highway buying diesel fuel right now.......cost them $1300 -$1500 to fill up their tanks, can you imagine to fill up the tanks of a cruiseship.

The increase for cruiser's is coming soon, whether it's a surcharge or just higher cruise fares.

I can hear my dads voice in my head right now. He could never understand why, as soon as the price of a barrel of oil would  jump, the gas stations would raise the price almost immediately.  He'd complain that the gas in the gas station tanks was made with the cheap oil. They should wait to raise the price when the gas was made with expensive oil. 😀

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

LOL..........oh, that kraft american cheese slices isn't real cheese is it? I thought that was something they called cheese food, resembling plastic...........

In this house, there are 2 kinds of American cheese. The "real" cheese, sliced at a deli, and "plastic cheese", aka Kraft single cheese.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

Just finished watching “Pieces of her” on Netflix.  Was very good with lots of twists and turns. 

That was my first book by Karin Slaughter.  Didn’t like it but still want to watch this because Australian actress Toni Collette is in the lead and she is excellent in everything I have seen her in.

• Like 2