Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

My dad, an electrical engineer, worked at the airport. I had my share of time up in the tower. So there you go. My love of ships, the ocean, and airplanes. Life was simple back then. My mom says I romanticize those times. Maybe I do but the memories live on and they are good.

Now, my brother on the other hand......

What a great share.  Your love of water, ships and flight are fully understandable.

As for the difference with your brother, I can fully relate…😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Every time we pass Sausalito, driving the 101 up to my son’s house, I look at the houseboats along the bay, and think how great it would be to live on the water there.  

I thought surely it would be less expensive than some of the real estate around there. Then I saw this. 

https://sfist.com/2016/08/17/you_too_can_live_on_a_houseboat_in/

They are beautiful homes, but too much maintenance. :classic_smile:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Is this reunion boring or is it just me? They need to all get back in one room.

That's what I thought. Even Andy Cohen looked and sounded bored. I hate the zoom interviews. They need to all be in studio. I think why it was boring was besides Ashley who of course did not show up this crew did not have that much drama and they genuinely liked one another. I commend Tom for admitting his mistakes and it seems like he has grown up and learned. Interesting that Gabby and Wes have hooked up and are running charters out of St. Thomas. I think it would fun to book a charter with them. I guess the million dollar question is will Gary shag Daisy after the show. I say no. I think they like keeping everyone guessing. I thought it was a good season. It will interesting to see how many return for next season. Already heard Marcos will not return because of all his new business adventures. I totally understand that as he is a star as a chef. Interesting also that Colin will be sailing around the world so that makes his participation unlikely.

Below Deck Med premiers July 11th so I will be interested in watching Sandy and her new crew. From the promo looks like there will be some drama and BD Down Under premiers too on Bravo even though I watched it on the Peacock App. I think you have said you did not care for it. I know Aiesha can be a little grating because of her voice but I actually liked the first season. I did think the chef was a total a$#. I loved the scenery of Australia and made me want to visit there. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I always love a grilled burger🤩

For health reasons we're eating mainly healthy vegan, though with some eggs diet . I made some scrummy falafel burgers yesterday . The food is actually nicer than I would of thought 

Taking B12 supplements and may add in some salmon or tuna in a couple of weeks 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/falafel-burgers-0

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think I had a great childhood but a bit different from typical. I think living on an island 29 miles out to sea instilled a strong sense of independence and the ability to entertain myself wirhout a lot of "things" to help. I was a dock rat. I knew many of the fishermen and would spend time just being on their boats. I knew the crews of the ships of the steamship line and would spend time just walking around the ships when they were tied up at the island turning over for the trip back to the mainland. And when the family was making a trip across I'd be roaming the ship, sitting in the wheel house, got to steer a few times, was down in the engine room, and occasionally checked in at the purser's office where dad would spend the crossing talking with his friends. Mom would spend the trip doing... I have no idea what she did but when the crossing was finished we did all ended up in the same car. And as much as I loved going to visit grand parents and family, I was always happy when we got on the boat and went back to our island.

My dad, an electrical engineer, worked at the airport. I had my share of time up in the tower. So there you go. My love of ships, the ocean, and airplanes. Life was simple back then. My mom says I romanticize those times. Maybe I do but the memories live on and they are good.

Sounds like a wonderful childhood OB, simpler times......

• Like 4

8 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Just a few pictures from our day. 

Daisies are out. 

C6DFCB89-F209-46A1-B5AF-BF3234F6E4F8.thumb.jpeg.5f4a863ed75452f74f5a898c54c50169.jpeg

As are turtles 

5958BD5C-F479-42BD-A725-E5380743C4AF.thumb.jpeg.e4e90002394ede9eb6e83fd0d32c4b40.jpeg

We were walking today, when we stopped to pick some berries, and found this following us.  It walked right up to us. 

0060B1E3-DF3B-45EF-A9B4-93593CC7549B.thumb.jpeg.2446528b90412fc5bf4401be2c7f987b.jpeg

Tonight’s supper was filets, baked corn, and potatoes with chives and bacon. 

43CDEED3-D264-4DD9-8C7F-81E81976D8B9.thumb.jpeg.df5e60b1bfd12b8d24674a9b313b68ac.jpeg

We had all the grandkids here for supper. 

0EA0DFE9-6E00-4A8C-A193-0C6BD25C1F52.thumb.jpeg.87ecaad5b0d9d1fc7d1377de1251622a.jpeg

We were watching the other two while my daughter and SIL were at the funeral home. One of the young engineers at SIL’s company passed away from pancreatic cancer.  Very sad. 

I love that your California grandson gets to catch up and bond with his cousins each year. They're memories of the amazing summers will stay with them for ever.

You should write a blog on providing perfect memories for grandchildren 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

...and BD Down Under premiers too on Bravo even though I watched it on the Peacock App. I think you have said you did not care for it. I know Aiesha can be a little grating because of her voice but I actually liked the first season. I did think the chef was a total a$#. I loved the scenery of Australia and made me want to visit there. 

We also watched BD Down Under on Peacock.  I think it's certainly as good as the others and Cap't Jason is my favorite captain now.

You're right...the scenery is gorgeous.  

The Tour de France starts this Friday (on USA network).  We've been watching for a few years.  The cycling competition is interesting...but the scenery and history in France is to die for.  And they show/discuss a lot of the scenery stuff...historic churches and homes.  We fast-forward a lot...the coverage is 4 to 6 hours each day...so a lot of fast-forwarding.  Race lasts about a month.

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

The Tour de France starts this Friday (on USA network).  We've been watching for a few years.  The cycling competition is interesting...but the scenery and history in France is to die for.  And they show/discuss a lot of the scenery stuff...historic churches and homes.  We fast-forward a lot...the coverage is 4 to 6 hours each day...so a lot of fast-forwarding.  Race lasts about a month.

I used to watch Le Tour a lot, particularly when Lance Armstrong was racing (before all of his drama).  In addition to the scenery and history, I found the race strategy fascinating, and Phil Liggett was great to listen to.  And I loved the mountain stages.  You could just see guys hitting their physical limits when they drop in a steep section, only to come back out and do it again a day or 2 later.  Armstrong's tolerance for pain and ability to mentally break his competitors on a climb was impressive, although less so now looking back.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I had 4 growths biopsied today.My doctor believes that at least two are likely malignant.I have had several over the years .

Take care Lenny.

Hopefully removal of the growths is straightforward.

Graham.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think I had a great childhood but a bit different from typical. I think living on an island 29 miles out to sea instilled a strong sense of independence and the ability to entertain myself wirhout a lot of "things" to help. I was a dock rat. I knew many of the fishermen and would spend time just being on their boats. I knew the crews of the ships of the steamship line and would spend time just walking around the ships when they were tied up at the island turning over for the trip back to the mainland. And when the family was making a trip across I'd be roaming the ship, sitting in the wheel house, got to steer a few times, was down in the engine room, and occasionally checked in at the purser's office where dad would spend the crossing talking with his friends. Mom would spend the trip doing... I have no idea what she did but when the crossing was finished we did all ended up in the same car. And as much as I loved going to visit grand parents and family, I was always happy when we got on the boat and went back to our island.

Nice interesting early life story Ocean Boy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paul from Maryland said:

We also watched BD Down Under on Peacock.  I think it's certainly as good as the others and Cap't Jason is my favorite captain now.

You're right...the scenery is gorgeous.  

Love the Tour must see tv.  Have taken trips just to see things I see on the Tour.

jc

• Like 2

So, I’ve been MIA… but with a “good” reason…..

We debarked Thursday and “set to work”… DH to “his” museums, and I – to finally do some serious shopping (the hotel advised that Friday will be a national holiday and the shops will be closed).

I enjoyed roaming the shops by myself, bought a nice linen trousers and a new pair of jeans at a fraction of what would have cost in Israel. Very frustrating that the cost of living here is so high.

We met at the hotel in the evening, and went out again, strolling in the crowded streets (Covid anyone???), enjoying people watching and ending with a burger at Five Guys.

Friday started easily. A very good and varied breakfast at the Jazz hotel (highly recommended, excellent location and rates). We then decided to revisit from outside the various Gaudi houses we’ve seen in previous visits, and, generally, taking it slowly, with frequent stops at shaded benches and people watching.

After a couple of hours, we decided to go back to Las Ramblas, to see another house. On the way, I’ve noticed that we’re very close to our hotel, and dropped by to refresh.

At that point, I was starting to feel a headache “brewing”, and suggested to take a nap, and go out again in the afternoon, since the days are very long in Spain.

The headache rapidly deteriorated in a “splitting” one, with fever, chills and nose congestion. It was amazing how in just a few hours I was really sick. DH went to buy a Covid test [never done one at home], and spent an hour trying to figure out how to test, the instructions being in very small [as in very small] letters. I was negative, but didn’t have much faith in the results…

Our family “swears by” Aspirin Bayer effervescent tablets, and I always travel with a bunch of them, courtesy of my pharmacist cousin… I topped them with wet towels, and by morning I was able to leave the room for a short time, to allow cleaning. We had a balcony, and we left the door open, even if it was hot outside, I couldn’t stand the air conditioning…

We decided to test again on arrival, since we wanted to see the kids and grandkids, before the grandkids will travel to Netherlands for my DIL’s family annual break abroad.

Sunday evening I tested positive on a PCR test, and DH – negative. He’s taking very good care of me, while keeping his distance [that is, from the moment we got the Covid results…]. Hopefully, he’ll continue to be in the clear.

I’m quite weak, with a low fever and a nagging cough.

I can’t fathom how I got sick, since I was so careful, to the point that DH was quite angry with me, asking him to mask up when entering the elevators. Braved the quirky looks we got when we were the only one with masks…

We always ate alone and kept a table empty between us and other people, in the theatre we were masked and at the end of a row, with at least two empty seats between us and others…. Took taxis alone, masked up. Always on the lookout, always looking “over the shoulder”…

Some Barcelona photos meantime….

Poverty ...

image.thumb.jpeg.ee17f8461bdf7b45f908e891cd330aa7.jpeg

For  @Keksie  some nice carpets –

image.thumb.jpeg.f66b5b4b3f3b67e840b04b15b074633a.jpeg

Casa Batlló

image.thumb.jpeg.dbd97a87dae8a92c4d75f893f755236b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dd9d8e03e65887724538209eacf0dc56.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d4ef870c4bc1688c8f6e4b6d59e59992.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.dba1b84b877474d10f6f6e72c3d9df8f.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

And some more... so many buildings are a feast to the eyes

image.thumb.jpeg.5800f38379a86e5da5f168a58edee23d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8775c57927d333edad9e1492790f9cd4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.51c62bd73781048b9441ca2617e491c7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.399639add6eddeadc3ccd0e0ff8e2625.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c692023eacc05ec95f597a0a68512d4f.jpeg

20220624_120440.thumb.jpg.2c7080e6b5770b66244bbbd44bc8eedb.jpg

20220624_172307.jpg

Nice photos Dani.

I'm so sorry you tested positive.

Sending you our love and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Graham.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

On our way to Amelia Island for a few days…we fueled up at a Love’s in Thomson, GA for $3.95!  Did so as gas is much more expensive in Florida!  Today’s beach picture…. Small squall.

914D7629-DBAE-4EAA-B9F9-3DD25586B811.jpeg

I know that Loves very well.  It’s our usual stop right before we get on I-20.  They always have good prices.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

So, I’ve been MIA… but with a “good” reason…..

We debarked Thursday and “set to work”… DH to “his” museums, and I – to finally do some serious shopping (the hotel advised that Friday will be a national holiday and the shops will be closed).

I enjoyed roaming the shops by myself, bought a nice linen trousers and a new pair of jeans at a fraction of what would have cost in Israel. Very frustrating that the cost of living here is so high.

We met at the hotel in the evening, and went out again, strolling in the crowded streets (Covid anyone???), enjoying people watching and ending with a burger at Five Guys.

Friday started easily. A very good and varied breakfast at the Jazz hotel (highly recommended, excellent location and rates). We then decided to revisit from outside the various Gaudi houses we’ve seen in previous visits, and, generally, taking it slowly, with frequent stops at shaded benches and people watching.

After a couple of hours, we decided to go back to Las Ramblas, to see another house. On the way, I’ve noticed that we’re very close to our hotel, and dropped by to refresh.

At that point, I was starting to feel a headache “brewing”, and suggested to take a nap, and go out again in the afternoon, since the days are very long in Spain.

The headache rapidly deteriorated in a “splitting” one, with fever, chills and nose congestion. It was amazing how in just a few hours I was really sick. DH went to buy a Covid test [never done one at home], and spent an hour trying to figure out how to test, the instructions being in very small [as in very small] letters. I was negative, but didn’t have much faith in the results…

Our family “swears by” Aspirin Bayer effervescent tablets, and I always travel with a bunch of them, courtesy of my pharmacist cousin… I topped them with wet towels, and by morning I was able to leave the room for a short time, to allow cleaning. We had a balcony, and we left the door open, even if it was hot outside, I couldn’t stand the air conditioning…

We decided to test again on arrival, since we wanted to see the kids and grandkids, before the grandkids will travel to Netherlands for my DIL’s family annual break abroad.

Sunday evening I tested positive on a PCR test, and DH – negative. He’s taking very good care of me, while keeping his distance [that is, from the moment we got the Covid results…]. Hopefully, he’ll continue to be in the clear.

I’m quite weak, with a low fever and a nagging cough.

I can’t fathom how I got sick, since I was so careful, to the point that DH was quite angry with me, asking him to mask up when entering the elevators. Braved the quirky looks we got when we were the only one with masks…

We always ate alone and kept a table empty between us and other people, in the theatre we were masked and at the end of a row, with at least two empty seats between us and others…. Took taxis alone, masked up. Always on the lookout, always looking “over the shoulder”…

Some Barcelona photos meantime….

Poverty ...

For  @Keksie  some nice carpets –

image.thumb.jpeg.f66b5b4b3f3b67e840b04b15b074633a.jpeg

Those carpets are spectacular.  Thank you for the photo.  I am so sorry you fell ill.  Hopefully you get your strength back quickly.  

• Thanks 1