Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Just a quick stop in here before we head out for the day.  Temps here in Disney have been low 90’s, not too bad for August.  Very humid though. Park crowds are not bad at all.  9 and 11 year old boys are exhausting!  A conversation between me and the 9 year old this morning: 

“Will, didn’t you wear those clothes all day yesterday and sleep in them?  
Yes, Nana.  

Then please put clean ones on for today.  And change your underwear”.  

At that age (and still), my girls needed at least two outfits a day!

And, here’s a picture I think everyone here can appreciate, a Polynesian Resort Lava Flow

B7D23A33-5059-40E6-B881-F66BDCFFAD5D.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, George C said:

I looked most coins up on internet then took them to a coin dealer and they offered me about same thing I got from internet . This was ten years ago. Could always use a couple of thousand towards are upcoming cruises. Will keep some coins as a investment. I have a relative who offered me what coin dealer said they were worth. 

My husband is a coin collector and does the same thing but also goes to coin shows. Quite a few of the people there are very helpful and have told him what is the absolute lowest he should sell for or to hold on to the coin and their opinion usually matches what he has found on the internet. He has sold some stuff, at the shows, above what he was told it was worth. I inherited a ring that I actually thought was costume jewelry. I took it to a local jeweler to find out if it was real before getting rid of it. It was real and offered me $500. I declined. I took it to the next coin show and showed it to a few vendors. The first few offered me exactly $500 so I kept walking. One said $1000 and I slid that ring over to him so fast and took the cash.Try a coin show for some different opinions, you might get lucky.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Close.  I went to one of our favorite restaurants for dinner last night and sat at the bar.  The bartender was telling me about a multi-day bourbon trail trip in Kentucky that she did with a group of friends a few months ago.  She said they are planning a Tennessee whisky trip for next year.  I mentioned Uncle Nearest and she said that they have both the 1884 and 1856 at the bar.  I had a glass of the 1884.  Wow...incredibly smooth.  I really do need to find a bottle somewhere now.  Thanks for telling me about it.

That's awesome I'm so glad you liked it. I have not tried the 1884 yet but I can tell you the 1956 is incredible. I plan on picking up a bottle of 1884 to compare. I hope you can find some bottles where you live.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

My favorite thing to do! Come on September 17th!

0B8F0767-441E-444A-9D4E-52FC973A97E4.thumb.jpeg.171cc6e9f158ea1a64516d0a808ca860.jpeg

Looks good. You are all set! Have a wonderful cruise Greg!

I believe we have stayed in "8550" before (just don't ask what ship!)😁I think it a voyager class, Explorer, also on the Anthem, perhaps Oasis?????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

It was a great meal to finish the day with.  

I had to meet with the sprinkler repair guys at mom’s place, a zone had a stuck valve.  The pool company came to our place to install a new pump, as our original one died yesterday.  Then the window cleaners were at our place as well. Without fail they all arrived around the same time, on top of having a few work calls.

Earlier in the morning I assembled mom’s elevated toilet seats in preparation to her return home and replaced a couple toilet tank gaskets on one of mom’s toilets. Unfortunately I shifter a tank enough that it started to drip slowly. First time I ever replaced one but it wasn’t terrible. 

As I said, the steak was a great way to wrap up the day. 

Very caring heart. You are a great guy to have around! 🥰

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ownedbypets said:

My husband is a coin collector and does the same thing but also goes to coin shows. Quite a few of the people there are very helpful and have told him what is the absolute lowest he should sell for or to hold on to the coin and their opinion usually matches what he has found on the internet. He has sold some stuff, at the shows, above what he was told it was worth. I inherited a ring that I actually thought was costume jewelry. I took it to a local jeweler to find out if it was real before getting rid of it. It was real and offered me $500. I declined. I took it to the next coin show and showed it to a few vendors. The first few offered me exactly $500 so I kept walking. One said $1000 and I slid that ring over to him so fast and took the cash.Try a coin show for some different opinions, you might get lucky.

Thanks, my wife has loads of jewelry she inherited from her mom also , I am sure some of it is valuable. 

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Close.  I went to one of our favorite restaurants for dinner last night and sat at the bar.  The bartender was telling me about a multi-day bourbon trail trip in Kentucky that she did with a group of friends a few months ago.  She said they are planning a Tennessee whisky trip for next year.  I mentioned Uncle Nearest and she said that they have both the 1884 and 1856 at the bar.  I had a glass of the 1884.  Wow...incredibly smooth.  I really do need to find a bottle somewhere now.  Thanks for telling me about it.

My buddies from our poker game have talked about the bourbon trail , also some of my friends I grew up with , my wife aunt lives in Lexington Kentucky which is the heart of it , really nice area with a great horse race track also. The pubs in that area have lots of beer in bourbon casks that were very tasty. I would like to do that with my wife’s best friend since she doesn’t drink so we would have a designated driver 😁😁😁.  Her husband is like me we drink like a fish.

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm sorry, but we cannot have the week of 8.28 fly by while we are on Oasis.😃

Eric is 6'3" and hated how low the toilet in our master bath was, especially when he had a broken leg several years ago.  It was one of those really low ones. 

He is much happier now as we replaced with a taller one in 2019 when we redid the bathroom. 

When we moved in our  new house, the master bathroom had a tall toilet in it. I had to replace it with one of those shorter toilets for my wife since she is only about 5ft tall.

I rarely use the toilet in there just because it is so low, I always use one of the other 4 bathrooms we have in the house just because it is so short.

She is happy with it, so it's fine with me.

• Like 3

As many of you already know I'm planning on doing a semi live of our UDP on Symphony next month. So part of my planning is to create a schedule which includes all the restaurants we want and dining times. I know that I have to be fluid and flexible and even may have to move some restaurants around but I am interested in knowing what you think? I basically have all the restaurants covered. I figured we would eat at CP 150 twice just because we really like it and it has a great menu. Thoughts? Anything you would do different?

140139357_ScreenShot2022-08-19at8_56_18AM.thumb.png.eb4bcc4e2594a637db8b999cf24c435f.png

• Like 8

11 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Earlier in the morning I assembled mom’s elevated toilet seats in preparation to her return home and replaced a couple toilet tank gaskets on one of mom’s toilets. Unfortunately I shifter a tank enough that it started to drip slowly. First time I ever replaced one but it wasn’t terrible. 

I must comment on your knack of home maintenance.

Years ago, when I got engaged my father was impressed that my husband to be could do and manage fix me ups .  Rick could fix anything from a car, to home problems.  Electrical, piping, and the infamous "running toilet" from that flapper hickey breaking and running.

Your ability to do around the house tasks reminds me of his praise for those that know how to do these tasks. Too bad today many are too busy and would just pay for easy fixes.

My one brother's world evolved around golf, and had not one clue on how to handle any home maintenance.  His wife knew more than him.

Thanks for sharing your day.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, George C said:

My buddies from our poker game have talked about the bourbon trail , also some of my friends I grew up with , my wife aunt lives in Lexington Kentucky which is the heart of it , really nice area with a great horse race track also. The pubs in that area have lots of beer in bourbon casks that were very tasty. I would like to do that with my wife’s best friend since she doesn’t drink so we would have a designated driver 😁😁😁.  Her husband is like me we drink like a fish.

My younger daughter went to college at the University of Kentucky in Lexington.  It's a great little city.  Keeneland is a fantastic race track to visit/tailgate.  We would go there a couple of times each year during their fall session.  Much better than Churchill Downs, unless of course it's Derby Day.  A visit to the Bourbon Trail would absolutely require a designated driver!  

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

As many of you already know I'm planning on doing a semi live of our UDP on Symphony next month. So part of my planning is to create a schedule which includes all the restaurants we want and dining times. I know that I have to be fluid and flexible and even may have to move some restaurants around but I am interested in knowing what you think? I basically have all the restaurants covered. I figured we would eat at CP 150 twice just because we really like it and it has a great menu. Thoughts? Anything you would do different?

140139357_ScreenShot2022-08-19at8_56_18AM.thumb.png.eb4bcc4e2594a637db8b999cf24c435f.png

I would go to playmakers at lunch as opposed to dinner.  I also usually schedule Chops for the second formal night and get a couple lobster tails to go along with my steak. 

Playmakers is open every day and you can use it even on port days as long as it's open.  On port days it may not open until 2.  We tend to do that and then a later dinner. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Did I miss something?  Is it your Birthday?

No, he is on vacation and spotted this at Disney Springs.  I and my older son’s wife are the only two leftys  in the group!!!! You would think their son would have been left handed but no.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

No, he is on vacation and spotted this at Disney Springs.  I and my older son’s wife are the only two leftys  in the group!!!! You would think their son would have been left handed but no.

Watched a story on tv about this store dedicated to left handed people

https://www.leftyslefthanded.com/category_s/162.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

This is really very well organized. Looking forward to the Live.

Greg, if you have time after the cruise, can you also post your thoughts/pictures of Maya Key and Krazy Lobster. I have been to Roatan many times but never been to Maya Key.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Have you been getting training from Crystal, this is really singalotist !  Well done.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I noticed you don't have lunch scheduled for the first day.  I made a food schedule too, which I am already go to need to change.  Are scheduled 1st day lunch is going to be Chops.  We may be able to have lunch and have someone there schedule our dinners the rest of the week.

We are finally going to try 150.  We also have Sabor Taqueria and Samba Grill down for first time tries.  We have Chops Scheduled for 3 dinners (8 night cruise) including lobster night. 

As far as I see there is not a Playmakers on Allure.   I would love to try it sometime. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, George C said:

Watched a story on tv about this store dedicated to left handed people

https://www.leftyslefthanded.com/category_s/162.htm

Not sure this was mentioned in the article:  My brother in law, a lefty, had the following message on a t-shirt: If the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only people who are left handed are in their right minds!

On a totally different note, my daughter and grands are due to arrive from NJ tomorrow.  They're very disappointed since the weather forecast is for rain the entire 10 days they'll be here. At least temps are no longer in the 100s.

• Like 11

We did not have our soda package cups in our rooms on the first day. We were told to go to Bolero's. Grandson who is 7 walks into Bolero's climbs up into a chair at the bar and announces barkeep i'll have a water. The bartender laughed and proceeded to fix him a nice glass of water. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I think you did a fabulous job planning and hope that you can get the reservation times that you want.    😄

Eric would kill me if I put something like this together.   He absolutely hates having a schedule when on vacation.   It is one of the reasons we haven't done the UDP since it is best to make reservations as soon as you board.    He likes to just go with the flow and go wherever he wants for a meal whenever he wants.   Of course, we have lobster night that is a given.  

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Eric would kill me if I put something like this together.   He absolutely hates having a schedule when on vacation.   It is one of the reasons we haven't done the UDP since it is best to make reservations as soon as you board.    He likes to just go with the flow and go wherever he wants for a meal whenever he wants.   Of course, we have lobster night that is a given.  

That is one of the reasons I love the Windjammer. No schedule other than its hours of operation. It is all on my time.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thank you! Do you know if it is ever open for visitors to climb?

Yes, it is.  I never have as I usually lay on the beach & splash in the ocean all day before taking a late afternoon walk.  It closes at 5;00 pm but the last admission is at 4:30. Missed it by a couple of minutes yesterday. I think next time, I'll swap the order & go directly to the light house first, then the beach. The light house is a about a 10 minute stroll from parking lot #5 at Robert Moses.

They also have a free museum and gift shop in what used to be the Keeper quarters and a separate "Lens" building that houses some of the older lens from previous light houses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1