Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

My septic story.

Deb, Andy and middle DD, enjoy your trip, I have very fond memories from our Disney/instead of Bar-Mitzva trip with our boys...

I'm starting to feel like an "outsider" in "my" own thread.... Being a "city-girl" and always living in a building/aka "city sewer".... all this talk about "leach fields" and "septic tanks" sounds like Greek to me....

I was under the impression that EVERYBODY has a [city]sewer like us 😉

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Deb, Andy and middle DD, enjoy your trip, I have very fond memories from our Disney/instead of Bar-Mitzva trip with our boys...

I'm starting to feel like an "outsider" in "my" own thread.... Being a "city-girl" and always living in a building/aka "city sewer".... all this talk about "leach fields" and "septic tanks" sounds like Greek to me....

Be thankful you don't have septic, our primary house, in SC, we now have a sewer hookup, so much easier.  Of course we have to pay for it each month, guess it all evens out.

As for our housevin PA, here for the holiday weekend and to visit family close by.  We live in one of the coves off the main lake.  A lot people come here on their boats and anchor for the day.  Sometimes it's quiet, others it can get quite loud.  Today is one of those loud days.  Have a raft, group of boats all tied together, of over 20 boats across the cove.  One of them hired a local musician to come play.  Good music but loud.  At least others are enjoying so not battling out who can play theirs louder.  We usually don't come on holiday weekend, prefer it a bit quieter.  Will see how long they stay tonight.

A few pics from our house, yes we did sit on the dock and enjoy for a while.

The raft

20220903_153647.thumb.jpg.85f493114a81aae7ece83fc67d9f3460.jpg

Looking out towards the big lake

20220903_153652.thumb.jpg.8b647e42920b99d84d7acf0675e7241d.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

US and Canada   are large countries, and we have a lot of people living in more rural areas where public utilities  do not supply water and sewer service.  AS a result, people usually drill wells for water , and install septic systems to take away the waste.  The design of these systems is set by the public health  department to insure that bad stuff from the output doesn't make its way into the water supply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Be thankful you don't have septic, our primary house, in SC, we now have a sewer hookup, so much easier.  Of course we have to pay for it each month, guess it all evens out.

As for our housevin PA, here for the holiday weekend and to visit family close by.  We live in one of the coves off the main lake.  A lot people come here on their boats and anchor for the day.  Sometimes it's quiet, others it can get quite loud.  Today is one of those loud days.  Have a raft, group of boats all tied together, of over 20 boats across the cove.  One of them hired a local musician to come play.  Good music but loud.  At least others are enjoying so not battling out who can play theirs louder.  We usually don't come on holiday weekend, prefer it a bit quieter.  Will see how long they stay tonight.

The raft

Geez that's alot of boats in a small area......... In the first picture, is there a dock there all those boats are lined up with each other or is that the middle of the lake and just all the boats are tied up together.

Reminds me of the  Series..... "OZARKS",...........when all the boats lined up for a church service and distributed the heroin they harvested in the sermons..

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Geez that's alot of boats in a small area......... In the first picture, is there a dock there all those boats are lined up with each other or is that the middle of the lake and just all the boats are tied up together.

Reminds me of the  Series..... "OZARKS",...........when all the boats lined up for a church service and distributed the heroin they harvested in the sermons..

No dock, just all tied together, more than 20 in that group, maybe 4 or 5 are anchored, rest just tied up.  That is a bigger group than we normally see, usually under 10.

Yes kinda like Ozark, I am sure there are many adult beverages, hoping nothing else.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Passed my test and on the Allure. Thought I'd try a diy watermelon drink. Got some Limoncello from the Champagne Bar, ice and lime. Sugar and sweetener from the Cafe. By the time my luggage came up with the muddler I only had a few minutes to make the drink before sail away. Tried it with the sweetener, but forgot the lime. Chunks of watermelon just meant I couldn't use a straw. I don't know if it was because of the sweetener or no lime, but it was just ok. I might try it with sugar next time to make simple syrup. Yep, probably won't be bringing the muddler again. First time and I was curious how it would come out with fresh watermelon. It could also be the Limoncello. Maybe rum next time or I'll just stick to hanging out in the bars. 😃 Nice to have a drink for sail away o the balcony.20220903_171158.thumb.jpg.1f11f84c69c29715ac4c14cc3e44cb68.jpg

• Like 24

Did anyone get any "deal" on the current (Labor day) Cruise Planner sales?

For our 3 cruises booked (Anthem, Anthem and Jewel), we are seeing different % of discounts.

Drink Package is ranging $71, $66, $66.
Voom SnS is $20, $19.99, $19.99.

Key $30, $35, $19.

Dining Pkg $207, $233, $247

Shore Excursions are discounted. Have seen better prices but still looking through them. Drink Pkg does not make sense for us since we even struggle to use the 5 D+ drink vouchers on the card.

The one thing that did catch my attention was that on one cruise, the price of the Voom SnS was the same as the Key (which includes the Voom SnS plus other stuff). So that was a no brainer and we got it. Not sure if we will be able to use the other Key benefits since we usually board late. I was wondering what time the MDR will be open for lunch, since the limited Chops menu lunch selection is served in the MDR for those with the Key.

I read somewhere that Greg (@SeaDog) has used the Key or is going to? How was your experience Greg?

• Like 1

Apple Pie Bake off results are in.

20220903_134655.jpg

We have a TIE, the filling  in my Wife's  Apple Crumb Pie is much better(sweeter) then mine BUT my Pie Crust is the BEST we have ever had. Nice and flaky, you can not taste the Vodka in it.

Here is the recipe for those that asked for the FOOL PROOF PIE CRUST

https://thestayathomechef.com/pie-crust-recipe/

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Passed my test and on the Allure. Thought I'd try a diy watermelon drink. Got some Limoncello from the Champagne Bar, ice and lime. Sugar and sweetener from the Cafe. By the time my luggage came up with the muddler I only had a few minutes to make the drink before sail away. Tried it with the sweetener, but forgot the lime. Chunks of watermelon just meant I couldn't use a straw. I don't know if it was because of the sweetener or no lime, but it was just ok. I might try it with sugar next time to make simple syrup. Yep, probably won't be bringing the muddler again. First time and I was curious how it would come out with fresh watermelon. It could also be the Limoncello. Maybe rum next time or I'll just stick to hanging out in the bars. 😃 Nice to have a drink for sail away o the balcony.20220903_171158.thumb.jpg.1f11f84c69c29715ac4c14cc3e44cb68.jpg

Have a great time. I'll be thinking about you.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Did anyone get any "deal" on the current (Labor day) Cruise Planner sales?

For our 3 cruises booked (Anthem, Anthem and Jewel), we are seeing different % of discounts.

Drink Package is ranging $71, $66, $66.
Voom SnS is $20, $19.99, $19.99.

Key $30, $35, $19.

Dining Pkg $207, $233, $247

Shore Excursions are discounted. Have seen better prices but still looking through them. Drink Pkg does not make sense for us since we even struggle to use the 5 D+ drink vouchers on the card.

The one thing that did catch my attention was that on one cruise, the price of the Voom SnS was the same as the Key (which includes the Voom SnS plus other stuff). So that was a no brainer and we got it. Not sure if we will be able to use the other Key benefits since we usually board late. I was wondering what time the MDR will be open for lunch, since the limited Chops menu lunch selection is served in the MDR for those with the Key.

I read somewhere that Greg (@SeaDog) has used the Key or is going to? How was your experience Greg?

I was able to get The Key on some of my upcoming fall cruises for LESS than Voom SnS.  Yesterday was a mad frenzy of looking up prices and "book this / cancel that".  

The MDR Chops lunch for The Key is typically available from 11-1/1:30 (meaning you can be seated at 1/1:30, not that you have to be done by then).  You should get an email shortly before boarding with the particulars for your ship.

UPDATE:  Noticed one of your ships is Jewel.  The Key was an absolute clusterf*** when I was on Jewel last fall.  They had us enter the ship up front by the theater, and then funneled us along through the shops (oh, how I missed the Royal Promenade with its wide open spaces.... I felt like cattle being sent to slaughter shuffling along in the crowd through the skinny shop hallways).  What they didn't bother to tell anyone was that people with The Key were supposed to drop their carry-on luggage at the Theater to be delivered to our room.  

Anyway, finally the slaughter-shuffle dumps everyone out at the Centrum, and I asked FIVE different people with the big bright ASK ME vests which dining room I should go to for The Key... and none of them even knew what The Key was. 

So I wandered around to all the various dining room entrances and I find one that had a big THE KEY sign at the end of the hallway (not out by the Centrum, but way at the end of the long hallway to the entrance of the dining room).  So I drag my luggage down the hall and stand by the big huge THE KEY sign while employees walked by in the dining room and ignored me.  Finally one asked me if I needed something, and I said I had The Key, and they said,  "oh, you're supposed to be on the other side" and pointed over to the other half of the dining room.  So I schlepped my suitcase across the dining room to the podium on that side, WHERE THERE WAS NO SIGNAGE FOR THE KEY AT ALL, and finally got seated.... back on the side of the dining room where I had been standing and waiting.  

Hopefully, a year later, they've figured it out, but just be prepared to having to advocate for yourself with The Key on Jewel.

Edited by brillohead
added Jewel-specific info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

20220903_134655.jpg

We have a TIE, the filling  in my Wife's  Apple Crumb Pie is much better(sweeter) then mine BUT my Pie Crust is the BEST we have ever had. Nice and flaky, you can not taste the Vodka in it.

👏👏👏.   Thanks for the link, I’ve saved it to my recipe app.  Now will your DW share her filling recipe too?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, the first couple of days I got up between 530 and 6 am.   Today I was up around 6 went for my coffee and morning walk and back in time for room service to arrive at 730😀

Now Eric that's a whole different story.  😁

It sounds like a really great cruise, Debbie!🛳️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

👏👏👏.   Thanks for the link, I’ve saved it to my recipe app.  Now will your DW share her filling recipe too?

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/12681/apple-pie-filling/   cut the recipe down into how many pies you want?   The recipe makes Five- 9 inch pies

https://sugarspunrun.com/streusel-topping-recipe/

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

It looks good.  Was it?

A couple days ago I made a pizza topped with fajita meat for the 1st time.  Taste pretty good.

image.thumb.png.723e0f9db4572c5a88f994c472dd74a1.png

The family is coming over to watch the football game.  Sharon is making curry for lunch and I am thinking jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon to snack on during the game.

Did I see Sun Dried Tomatoes on one of those pies?

51 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I was able to get The Key on some of my upcoming fall cruises for LESS than Voom SnS.  Yesterday was a mad frenzy of looking up prices and "book this / cancel that".  

The MDR Chops lunch for The Key is typically available from 11-1/1:30 (meaning you can be seated at 1/1:30, not that you have to be done by then).  You should get an email shortly before boarding with the particulars for your ship.

UPDATE:  Noticed one of your ships is Jewel.  The Key was an absolute clusterf*** when I was on Jewel last fall.  They had us enter the ship up front by the theater, and then funneled us along through the shops (oh, how I missed the Royal Promenade with its wide open spaces.... I felt like cattle being sent to slaughter shuffling along in the crowd through the skinny shop hallways).  What they didn't bother to tell anyone was that people with The Key were supposed to drop their carry-on luggage at the Theater to be delivered to our room.  

Anyway, finally the slaughter-shuffle dumps everyone out at the Centrum, and I asked FIVE different people with the big bright ASK ME vests which dining room I should go to for The Key... and none of them even knew what The Key was. 

So I wandered around to all the various dining room entrances and I find one that had a big THE KEY sign at the end of the hallway (not out by the Centrum, but way at the end of the long hallway to the entrance of the dining room).  So I drag my luggage down the hall and stand by the big huge THE KEY sign while employees walked by in the dining room and ignored me.  Finally one asked me if I needed something, and I said I had The Key, and they said,  "oh, you're supposed to be on the other side" and pointed over to the other half of the dining room.  So I schlepped my suitcase across the dining room to the podium on that side, WHERE THERE WAS NO SIGNAGE FOR THE KEY AT ALL, and finally got seated.... back on the side of the dining room where I had been standing and waiting.  

Hopefully, a year later, they've figured it out, but just be prepared to having to advocate for yourself with The Key on Jewel.

I purchased it for a cruise on the Anthem  . Thanks for this tip. I will ask my way in.
Perhaps I will get a KEY T shirt made🤣or wear a big gold one around my neck.  😁

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Much better thank you for asking. Yesterday I slept most of day. I monitored my blood pressure and it was good all day. I think I am going to chalk this up as overexertion and dehydration. I drank more water and gulped down some gatorade and felt more with it. I just think I have been pushing myself too much, plus lack of sleep, not enough water and exercising too much. I'm glad it's not covid. I do need to keep an eye on my blood pressure numbers as I have lost a lot of weight and my meds may need to be adjusted and hopefully some day get off them. Thank you for caring.

I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better, Greg...after reading the way you've been exercising, I just want to share what I went through on New Years Day, 2020.  Since it was the new year, I decided to exercise more ..you know, get into the habit....I was like the Energizer bunny. ...lifting weights, on exercise bike, going non-stop for a good while, etc.  When I sat down to relax an hour or so later, I began to feel lightheaded.. my arms and legs began tingling and feeling numb, and I had trouble walking.  After a while and not feeling better, my daughter called the ambulance when they arrived, the paramedics thought I was having a stroke.  After getting a Cat scan I was admitted.  Since it was a holiday, I had to wait until the next day for an MRI.  A neurologist said it wasn't a stroke (thank God) and I was finally discharged the next day.  In my heart, I feel that all of this was due to my over zealous exercises on New Years.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Dinner tonight.

IMG_20220903_162226.jpg

IMG_20220903_162306.jpg

Graham, coming from a New York pizza snob, that pizza looks amazing, AND you're wearing my favorite shirt!

25 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better, Greg...after reading the way you've been exercising, I just want to share what I went through on New Years Day, 2020.  Since it was the new year, I decided to exercise more ..you know, get into the habit....I was like the Energizer bunny. ...lifting weights, on exercise bike, going non-stop for a good while, etc.  When I sat down to relax an hour or so later, I began to feel lightheaded.. my arms and legs began tingling and feeling numb, and I had trouble walking.  After a while and not feeling better, my daughter called the ambulance when they arrived, the paramedics thought I was having a stroke.  After getting a Cat scan I was admitted.  Since it was a holiday, I had to wait until the next day for an MRI.  A neurologist said it wasn't a stroke (thank God) and I was finally discharged the next day.  In my heart, I feel that all of this was due to my over zealous exercises on New Years.

Maryann, what a scare!  I'm so glad it wasn't serious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I've always had sewers also, Dani!  Thank goodness!😉

4 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Me too, we have city sewers!

I'm with you, Marietta!😉. Glad you're having a great cruise with your family😘

3 hours ago, akcruz said:

The raft

It looks beautiful there, April!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

20220903_134655.jpg

They both look amazing.   Wish I was there to try some of each😀

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

Yikes what a mess you had to go through. I’m hoping when we board Symphony in a couple of weeks the Key will have signage and be organized.

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

@Sea Dog glad to hear that your symptoms are gone!  

And I'm majorly impressed by the amount of exercise you've been doing.... wow!

I Jesé’s to be a gym rat in my younger days. I need to remember I’m a lot older now and don’t have the stamina I once had as a youth.

58 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Wow what a story Maryann. Yes I have some obsessive compulsion tendencies that when I do something it’s all out. I need to remember how old I am. Thanks for sharing your story and I’m glad you weren’t seriously hurt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1