Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Olive Garden>>>>blech, my opinion.  The best Italian food is a mom and pop owned restaurant, not a chain.  

The best Italian food is the kitchen of an Italian mother and grandmothers.

I have never been to an Olive Garden though their marketing makes it look enticing. My brother and I were out some place once and I asked him if he wanted to go to Olive Garden for lunch. He looked at me and responded with one word... No.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I've never been to an Olive Garden but will try it one day. A buddy of mine described it as "pretty good food" as long as you don't think of it as "Italian food", otherwise its not that good. 😄

If you grew up in the Suburbs of NY you probably would not be an Olive Garden fan.  I was raised in Eastchester, worked in Dobbs Ferry and White Plains.  Sister and 92 year old mother are in Yorktown Heights.  The rest of the siblings have migrated to Ct and Cape Cod

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, molly361 said:

If you grew up in the Suburbs of NY you probably would not be an Olive Garden fan.  I was raised in Eastchester, worked in Dobbs Ferry and White Plains.  Sister and 92 year old mother are in Yorktown Heights.  The rest of the siblings have migrated to Ct and Cape Cod

Born and raised in Rockland County where it seemed half the population migrated from The Bronx in the 60' & 70's before moving a bit north of Yorktown Heights where it seems the other half of The Bronx moved to. 😃.  Plenty of NYC style pizza places in both areas.

Worked in White Plans for 25+ years, plenty of good Italian places in the vicinity. I promise to keep my Olive Garden exceptions low.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, molly361 said:

The rest of the siblings have migrated to Ct and Cape Cod

18 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The Cape is awesome.

I might be heading up to The Cape in a few weekends. Friends have a house there & have been trying to lure me up all summer.  Make fantastic lasagna & chicken parm.  Yes, they are Italian.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Thanks for the correction!  Ironic then that neither he nor Harry were allowed to wear their military uniforms in the procession behind her coffin, but at least they corrected that mistake yesterday.

5 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

No mistake, it was because they are no longer working Royals and not entitled to wear uniform, King Charles gave special dispensation for them yesterday.

5 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

IMO, they served in the military and should be permitted to wear their uniforms without special permission needed.    

+ 1 This 👍

5 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I agree Debbie.  My Dad was a career Army officer, retired in 1973.  He wore his “dress blues”  uniform for my wedding and was also buried in it.  No special permission needed.  Must be different rules either for foreign military or royals. 

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Oh yes, I’m very aware it was deliberate and not a “mistake”  hence the irony of the insult from a man who never earned a medal.  But good on him for his correction on the error of his ways and the generosity of his special dispensation.  

+ 1 This 👍

4 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

And in Andrew’s case, it was also because he was stripped of his military honors by the Queen due to the Epstein situation. It is good that Harry was allowed to wear his uniform, though.

4 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

I agree although Harry did chose to step away from Royal duty and so lost his military titles which he was unhappy about.

Try as I may, I fail to see the link between Harry's decision to step away from Royal duty and losing his "military titles".  Harry, as well as Andrew, actually served in a combat zone.

They rightfully earned their military ranks (not "titles").

Harry being captain is not an honorary title, like Princess Royal's being a "honorary" colonel in chief...

I can understand being striped of HRH, but not of a military rank duly earned. And with this rightfully earned rank comes the RIGHT TO WEAR AN UNIFORM.

I think that the "powers to be" are behaving in a childish and revengeful way. Seeing the sour face of Kate [not even a glance in their direction, not even a word addressed to] when she was forced to spend the walk about with Megan only reinforced my opinion.

• Like 11

46 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

This whole pizza discussion gets out of control every time it is brought up.  Everyone is allowed their own opinion and no one has the right to question that, whether they are old, young, lived where there is good pizza, bad pizza or no pizza.  There are many pictures of food that people post here that look delicious and others look gross to me, but I don't tell the people I know better and that is gross, I just scroll by.  Some need to learn how to scroll.

I agree,  not really sure why some take it so personally when someone has a different perspective on food preferences.  I am thankful there is a big variety makes the world a more interesting place.  Wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same.

Personally not a fan of Sorrentos.  Do end up there most nights about midnight or so for a slice to top off the night and help sop up the days drinks.  Have sailed twice this year, yes it is better than it used to be but still only an after drinks place for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

IN my opinion, the whole subject on pizza, as far as I am concerned, is the sauce.

You can add all of the toppings you want, but it is the sauce that makes it.

My favorite sauce I have ever has, was for Jim Staffa's County LIne Pizza, in Jupiter fl.

I am sure he made his own, and I really loved it.  And , in winter, the snowbirds  would show up, and announce they had just driven thousands of miles to eat there.

Of course, that was BS, it was a small place off of US1, and if I recall, he sold the property in the 1980's, and I don't know where he went.

But that gives me a funny cruise story. On our Odyssey cruise last October, my wife struck up a conversation with a fellow who was from Boston area, which is where she grew up.

At one point, he mentioned he was a cop from Tequesta fl. Tequesta is a town on the county line next to Jupiter, and he had moved there in 1977.  I said I had moved into the area in 1976, and one of my favorite thing was to go to that pizza place to eat. Joe, the cop, started to smi;e when I sad that my waitress's husband was a Tequesta policeman. Joe smiled and said that was his boss when he moved there. He also had a neighbor who was a nurse at Jupiter Medical Center, which was where DW worked at the time.

Yup, the are facebook friends,

I get home, stop at a local Publix  liquor store, where Fred , a retired Publix store manager works part time (when not cruising), and tell him the story , and he laughs.  The store he managed was in Tequesta. Of course, all of the cops stopped there.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

IN my opinion, the whole subject on pizza, as far as I am concerned, is the sauce.

You can add all of the toppings you want, but it is the sauce that makes it.

My favorite sauce I have ever has, was for Jim Staffa's County LIne Pizza, in Jupiter fl.

I am sure he made his own, and I really loved it.  And , in winter, the snowbirds  would show up, and announce they had just driven thousands of miles to eat there.

Of course, that was BS, it was a small place off of US1, and if I recall, he sold the property in the 1980's, and I don't know where he went.

But that gives me a funny cruise story. On our Odyssey cruise last October, my wife struck up a conversation with a fellow who was from Boston area, which is where she grew up.

At one point, he mentioned he was a cop from Tequesta fl. Tequesta is a town on the county line next to Jupiter, and he had moved there in 1977.  I said I had moved into the area in 1976, and one of my favorite thing was to go to that pizza place to eat. Joe, the cop, started to smi;e when I sad that my waitress's husband was a Tequesta policeman. Joe smiled and said that was his boss when he moved there. He also had a neighbor who was a nurse at Jupiter Medical Center, which was where DW worked at the time.

Yup, the are facebook friends,

I get home, stop at a local Publix  liquor store, where Fred , a retired Publix store manager works part time (when not cruising), and tell him the story , and he laughs.  The store he managed was in Tequesta. Of course, all of the cops stopped there.

Totally agree sauce is key item, I have had some good Italian food and pizza in Florida.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, George C said:

Totally agree sauce is key item, I have had some good Italian food and pizza in Florida.

Sauce is important.  Our favorite pizza place is actually a Greek pizza place.  It is family owned, the oldest son now runs the place but his Mom still comes in every morning to make the sauce, dough and salad dressings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The best Italian food is the kitchen of an Italian mother and grandmothers.

I have never been to an Olive Garden though their marketing makes it look enticing. My brother and I were out some place once and I asked him if he wanted to go to Olive Garden for lunch. He looked at me and responded with one word... No.

Of course!  I was talking about restaurants.

My son in law's   94 year old grandmother is Italian, lives independently and is a wonderful cook.  When my daughter, SIL and kids came here for a visit you better know I NEVER made one Italian dinner.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

16 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

Any time we cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale we stayed at the Embassy Suites, 1100 SE 17th Street.

Fort Lauderdale Hotels - Embassy Suites 17th Street (hilton.com)

Thanks for the info.  I just looked up the hotel with tax and parking, the rate is $433. They charge $32 for parking.  Are the exorbitant rates for airlines and hotels because of Spring Break?

Oops, sorry, I thought I was on Bella's thread.  

Edited by BonTexasNY

3 hours ago, George C said:

Agree I learned a long time ago not to trust a Texan saying this Italian restaurant is great , long time ago one of my wife’s coworkers told her how good Olive Garden was , I took two bites of my lasagna and that was it , manager came and asked me what was wrong, I told him this wasn’t itilian food , they were very nice and offered me another entree which I turned down. Also trying to find a real bagel or a pastrami sandwich in 1982 was impossible, many of us did frequent trips to New York and brought back bagels and Italian bread or bailies .

I have been to Italy multiple times. The food there is AMAZING, but this Texan still enjoys Olive Garden from time to time. 😂  It’s like Tex-Mex. Not authentic but still OK in its own way. In my opinion. 😂😂😂

Edited by TravelGirlinDallas
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1