Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

I guess it has to get a little scary before it gets better.  The radiation doctor said I need a dental exam before he can start.  The radiation can cause dental issues if precautions are not taken first.  

The radiation treatments are 35 doses, scheduled 5 time a week , seven weeks.  

One can be missed, but 35 is a hard number, so if one is missed, it has to be made up.

The chemo treatment is planned to take 6 weeks, once a week, through IV.

After about  4 weeks , they expect I may have trouble eating, so they are ordering a feeding tube to be installed.  The point is to keep my body nourished , Boost drink is suggested when swallowing becomes difficult,or if the feeding tube is used.

I asked about my October cruise, and they all seem confident I will be recovered.

Dentist tomorrow for him to see what is needed there.

Then a visit to the GI guy to schedule the feeding tube.

Souns like a lot of Dr visits over the next 2 months.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I guess it has to get a little scary before it gets better.  The radiation doctor said I need a dental exam before he can start.  The radiation can cause dental issues if precautions are not taken first.  

One can be missed, but 35 is a hard number, so if one is missed, it has to be made up.

After about  4 weeks , they expect I may have trouble eating, so they are ordering a feeding tube to be installed.  The point is to keep my body nourished , Boost drink is suggested when swallowing becomes difficult,or if the feeding tube is used.

I asked about my October cruise, and they all seem confident I will be recovered.

Seems like a lot of doctor visits but take it one day at a time . Prayers for a speedy recovery so you can go on your cruise. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

Good! I’m glad you will be able to come on our October cruise. Hopefully you will be hungry and thirsty by then. We will celebrate!

• Like 11

49 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

Glad to hear you are going for dental eval before the planning for radiation begins. Dental prophylaxis has led to a reduction in both short term and long term side effects. It sounds like a tough treatment but there will be help available so remember there is never a stupid question when it concerns your health. You got this 🙏

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Husky1987 said:

The out-of-town camping trip was a success.  I would say Stevie’s fireworks anxiety was cut in half at least.  She had a great time and didn’t want to leave this morning to go back home…she made us take one last walk.

IMG_6058.thumb.jpeg.5e7357af28538bd0da30c6f2e9db78f1.jpeg

What a cute pup. Give her a rub for me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

Your description of the process certainly is a lot to take in, but it sounds like a great plan. Thankfully like you said, “everyone” is close to your home so the commute won’t be long.  Good luck tomorrow at the dentist. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Every year, the NY Yankees hold the HOPE WEEK Initiative (Helping Others Persevere & Excel) which is rooted in the fundamental belief that acts of goodwill provide hope and encouragement to more than just the recipient of the gesture. On each of five consecutive days during the celebration of HOPE Week, the Yankees shine a spotlight on a different individual, family or organization worthy of recognition and support. Each day is designed so honorees can share their inspirational stories with Yankees players, fans and the media, while being surprised with the day of their dreams.

Yesterday, July 4th, was the 84th anniversary of Lou Gehrig “Luckiest Man in the World” speech.  Fittingly, the Yankees decided to honor Sarah Langs, a 30 year old MLB reporter and researcher, who last year revealed that she has ALS. Sarah and 6 other woman from “Her ALS  Story” – a support group of woman under 35 with ALS that seeks to raise awareness – were honored last night at the Stadium and also to raise money for research via “Project ALS”.  

All my pictures from last night came out extremely blurry so instead I’ll post a link to the video tribute that was played on the big screen. In it, Sarah along with the other woman and Yankee players, recite Gehrig famous speech.

More on her story.

https://www.yesnetwork.com/video/players-of-the-game-sarah-langs?t=top-videos

And finally:

https://www.mlb.com/news/yanks-honor-sarah-langs-on-anniversary-of-lou-gehrig-s-speech

Edit: My blurry pictures

20230704_131958.thumb.jpg.c7fb2a58e545d7e35abc925e4b85328d.jpg

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 6

12 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Every year, the NY Yankees hold the HOPE WEEK Initiative (Helping Others Persevere & Excel) which is rooted in the fundamental belief that acts of goodwill provide hope and encouragement to more than just the recipient of the gesture. On each of five consecutive days during the celebration of HOPE Week, the Yankees shine a spotlight on a different individual, family or organization worthy of recognition and support. Each day is designed so honorees can share their inspirational stories with Yankees players, fans and the media, while being surprised with the day of their dreams.

Yesterday, July 4th, was the 84th anniversary of Lou Gehrig “Luckiest Man in the World” speech.  Fittingly, the Yankees decided to honor Sarah Langs, a 30 year old MLB reporter and researcher, who last year revealed that she has ALS. Sarah and 6 other woman from “Her ALS  Story” – a support group of woman under 35 with ALS that seeks to raise awareness – were honored last night at the Stadium and also to raise money for research via “Project ALS”.  

All my pictures from last night came out extremely blurry so instead I’ll post a link to the video tribute that was played on the big screen. In it, Sarah along with the other woman and Yankee players, recite Gehrig famous speech.

More on her story.

And finally:

https://www.mlb.com/news/yanks-honor-sarah-langs-on-anniversary-of-lou-gehrig-s-speech

A good friend of mine a former Chief of Detectives,Queens County has ALS.

2 hours ago, mo&fran said:

I'll add to what others have stated by saying that this is naturally a little scary to you.  It sounds complicated, anything associated with the "C" word is scary in itself, and it's all new to you.  However, it's not new to your medical team.  They deal with this all the time and I'm sure they are fully confident.  As @Sea Viewer said, ask any and all questions that you have.  A positive attitude is a tremendous asset and full knowledge of what's happening really helps.  Kick cancer's ass!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'll add to what others have stated by saying that this is naturally a little scary to you.  It sounds complicated, anything associated with the "C" word is scary in itself, and it's all new to you.  However, it's not new to your medical team.  They deal with this all the time and I'm sure they are fully confident.  As @Sea Viewer said, ask any and all questions that you have.  A positive attitude is a tremendous asset and full knowledge of what's happening really helps.  Kick cancer's ass!

It does help that DW   is an RN who worked in this area for many years , and still has a lot of contacts, including active and retired MDs. About 7 years ago, I had a spot on the back of my leg that wad diagnosed as malignant melanoma. My wife first spotted it, and I went to the dermatologist  who biopsied it to confirm.  Had surgery , it was all cleaned out and scans since then have been cancer free.

Surgery this time is not an option.   

• Like 9

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

More on her story.

And finally:

Thanks for posting.   I hate that such young ones have to go through ALS.  Well as Sharon said, anyone, but hard to imagine a 30 year old dealing with it.  It was really hard to watch this but I am glad I did.  Good to see others hanging in there and staying strong.  Emotionally I'm not sure I would of been able to express myself as good as they did.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

More on her story.

And finally:

I saw her story on the News, and I was surprised to see so many young women with ALS.  Jim's Mom had ALS, but she was in her 70's when she was diagnosed.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks for posting.   I hate that such young ones have to go through ALS.  Well as Sharon said, anyone, but hard to imagine a 30 year old dealing with it.  It was really hard to watch this but I am glad I did.  Good to see others hanging in there and staying strong.  Emotionally I'm not sure I would of been able to express myself as good as they did.

Thinking of you, John.  How are you doing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last night’s fireworks show was not as good as the one the night before.  Due to the winds, and temperature, the smoke was getting pushed toward the viewing area.  It made the fireworks look like lightning in a cloud.  

We did have a good time.  All the kids seemed to gravitate to my vehicle. I think I counted my three plus 7 others. Maybe it was because I had blankets for them to hang out on. 

IMG_7834.thumb.jpeg.a047d0087a487ddb4931634a822665fa.jpeg

And maybe because I showed up with lots of glow sticks. 

I think I enjoyed them all with thes, more than the fireworks. 

• Like 19

Our towns Fireworks display was canceled on the 3rd, since rain and storms were predicted.  Never did have rain then, nor yesterday when rain and storms were predicted.  My daughter always says we live in a "bubble" since we scarcely get the storms that are almost always predicted.  I'm not complaining, believe me!   The Fireworks are now scheduled to go off tonight.  While we live behind the High School where the Fireworks take place, we do have to go in the front of our house instead of the backyard, since there are so many trees both in our yard and the woods that run behind our home.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, h20skibum said:

Last night’s fireworks show was not as good as the one the night before.  Due to the winds, and temperature, the smoke was getting pushed toward the viewing area.  It made the fireworks look like lightning in a cloud.  

We did have a good time.  All the kids seemed to gravitate to my vehicle. I think I counted my three plus 7 others. Maybe it was because I had blankets for them to hang out on. 

You're da man, Mark!😉

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Or maybe it’s a sentiment to what a great grandparents you both are. 

• Like 6