Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

12 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I've posted this before.  I was at the Newport Folk Festival sometime in the late 60s. It was fabulous!  Saw Bob Dylan, Judy Collins and a host of others perform.   As a single gal at that time, I remember how cute those Navy guys stationed in Newport were. 😉

I just spent quite a while trying to track down a song that I love.  I couldn't remember the name, but the tune kept playing in my mind.  FINALLY, I googled "songs by Andrea Bocelli" and boom, there it was, "Time To Say Goodbye".  I never tire of hearing that song.

If you still like the music of that era check out the band Gathering Time.You can find them on YouTube .I have all of their CD’s and have been to many of their concerts.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

That's so good to hear!  We've been to one or two of her Concerts years ago.  We went to a Melanie Concert two years ago, and it was really sad to not only see her walk on the stage with a cane and the assistance of her son, but the voice she once had is no longer there,😢  We had been to many of her Concerts in the 60's and early 70's

I saw Melanie at a Hippiefest concert in 2008.Referring to great singers still appearing in concerts at old age: Mick Jagger will be 80 this month,Ringo Starr was 83 yesterday,Paul McCartney was 81 last month.

They are all still drawing crowds.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, brookmill18 said:

@aussielozzie18 I love your pictures of both your outings in the city and your walks in nature. Do you mind if I ask--how long does it take you to drive/take transportation to the places you go? Now that we're almost empty nesters we've been talking about getting out more! We are only about 20 min from Boston but the drive/parking usually make it seem like a chore but I think it might be worth it. We need to get out more! Your location seems so perfectly suited both to getting into Sydney (so jealous!) and lovely nature settings--both beach and woodsy--love it!

Thank you.   We are on the North Shore (suburbs North of the Sydney Harbour Bridge). Plenty of bush here. We are a bit further out than you -  takes about 40 mins to get to the city but it’s an easy drive. I actually prefer to take public transport  (clean, safe & reliable) for daytime weekend visits to the city whereas DH prefers we drive part the way in, park for free , then commute the remainder. For evening events at the theatre & the Opera House, we drive straight to the harbour side suburb of Kirribilli, park for free  and catch the ferry that goes under the harbour bridge and across to Circular Quay - this saves us from using parking stations/fees in the city and who doesn’t want a sunset ferry & then return night time ferry ride across the harbour?

DH will often get off at Kirribilli on his morning commute and then walk across the Sydney Harbour Bridge for exercise as he works in the vicinity of Circular Quay. Takes him 20mins to walk across the bridge.

I grew up on the Northern Beaches of Sydney so we spend alot of time there.  Takes us approx  40mins to drive to the beach. Again, it’s an easy drive.  Our favourite beaches are Long Reef, Palm Beach and Manly.  

Bushwalks - as you would have noticed we are fortunate to have a myriad of choices - on the North Shore, on the Northern Beaches and the ones we love by the harbour.

I can recommend being a tourist in your own city.  I hope you follow our lead and if you do, would love to see you post photos of areas you explore in Boston.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Sorry we are going to miss each other.  We are paying $6457.00 for a aft balcony cabin. It’s expensive but we wanted to try a Celebrity ship. When you get to the cruise terminal if you see a sad sea dog that will be me getting off the ship.

You will love it.
However, the aft balconies on E class ships are a hike from the elevators. I see it as a positive....excellent opportunity to eat all you want and get the exercise in!

Where are you staying pre cruise?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

You will love it.
However, the aft balconies on E class ships are a hike from the elevators. I see it as a positive....excellent opportunity to eat all you want and get the exercise in!

Yes I will not book that again , if in a suite I then spend my outdoor time in retreat. I find it strange that there smaller ships M class have 3 sets of elevators and E class just has 2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Sorry we are going to miss each other.  We are paying $6457.00 for a aft balcony cabin. It’s expensive but we wanted to try a Celebrity ship. When you get to the cruise terminal if you see a sad sea dog that will be me getting off the ship.

What a difference a couple years make.  Our last Celebrity sailing was January, 2020, and we paid an average of $320 a night total for the two of us.  That was for a balcony, and it included premium beverage package, Wi-Fi, and gratuities, for both of us, plus $500 in OBC.  Their prices are about double that now.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Been busy the last couple of days with all the grandkids.  We watched my daughter’s two, while she was out to dinner with some of her teacher coworkers.  

They were all here again today, and we went out to a fitness trail while Susan had a doctor’s appointment.  The kids have put up a magnetic board in our living room, and they are counting down to the next big adventure. 

IMG_7881.thumb.jpeg.bf2ccf5b3dfc0abd62c0f2a002a0e8e3.jpeg

They are excited to spend next week there.  

Meanwhile, I found a Green Hawaiian on the restaurant menu tonight. 

IMG_7886.thumb.jpeg.099dec38da6edd1709b75ce3f378b2ef.jpeg

I guess tomorrow will be packing day.  I am just glad Susan is better than she was a week ago.  

Be ready for hot weather, it's steamy down this way and forecast is predicting it to be around for the next week along with afternoon thunderstorms.  Had a nasty one on Wed, know of at least 2 homes that got hit, one in our community and another a but further north.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

What a difference a couple years make.  Our last Celebrity sailing was January, 2020, and we paid an average of $320 a night total for the two of us.  That was for a balcony, and it included premium beverage package, Wi-Fi, and gratuities, for both of us, plus $500 in OBC.  Their prices are about double that now.

I remember those prices! Currently they are crazy high with All Included.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, George C said:

We also will be doing more rccl unless celebrity reduces suite price. The one cruise we will continue is our 70 music cruise. We get a nice discount on that for repeating on charter and they also give me a veteran’s discount. Next years lineup is fantastic 

Foreigner 

Randy Backman

Mellisa Manchester 

Don McClean 

Dave Mason

War ,    And many others

Great lineup. I’d love to hear all those artists.

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

We also are paying over $6,000 for our Beyond cruise next March, but I believe it is that high due to going to the Panama Canal.  I've never paid near that price on any of our Celebrity cruises.  

I should add that our cruise is a 10 night sailing which does explain the higher cost.

42 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

You will love it.

We haven’t booked anything yet. Recommendations????

36 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

As explained above ours is a 10 night sailing. We also have included basic Wi-Fi and the drink package but we will have to upgrade to the Premium wi-fi and premium drink package which I believe is about $400 for both of us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Mick Jagger will be 80 this month,

In a recent conversation with one of our clients at work he mentioned to me how his parents use to send him and his Brother every summer to spend a month with Mick Jagger and his children at his UK property and how they hated to go there every summer.       

I felt really bad for him.😜🤣  

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

12 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

We haven’t booked anything yet. Recommendations????

As explained above ours is a 10 night sailing. We also have included basic Wi-Fi and the drink package but we will have to upgrade to the Premium wi-fi and premium drink package which I believe is about $400 for both of us.

The July 4 sales had Upgrade to Premium Wifi for $5.99 pp pd. Upgrade to Premium Drink for $20 pp pd. Shore excursions were also a good price. I am not seeing them anymore. I did the premium wifi upgrade for Oct and Nov cruises.

When you call for Wifi or Beverage Pkg upgrade ask for the Elite discount. If you are D/D+/Pinnacle on Royal, you are Elite on Celebrity.

I don't have many great hotel suggestions for Ft Lauderdale area. Someone local may know better.
We used to stay at the Renaissance, but lately they have become iffy so taking a break from them. It is not bad, but some rooms that we were assigned needed a lot of tlc. Otherwise it is OK, has a CVS and lots to eat across. I haven't tried Hilton Marina but people seem to like it. Recently we have stayed outside Ft Lauderdale at Del Ray Beach and Pompano area, because we drive to the port. Some one suggested Hilton Garden Inn (Dania beach) which has shuttle to cruise port. AC and Mariott FLL are both new hotels in Dania beach  area and close to restaurants. We have also stayed at Le Meridian Dania Beach. I liked that one a lot (maybe because they upgraded us to a suite? and it was really nice), restaurant on site was great. Bar area I am sure you may enjoy more than I did, ambience was great. They had a shuttle to drive you around the area restaurants, but am not sure if they took you to the port. We drove and there was ample parking.  Also check out Celebrity's hotels from your cruise planner.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Arzeena said:

When you call for Wifi or Beverage Pkg upgrade ask for the Elite discount. If you are D/D+/Pinnacle on Royal, you are Elite on Celebrity.

I don't have many great hotel suggestions for Ft Lauderdale area. Someone local may know better.
We used to stay at the Renaissance, but lately they have become iffy so taking a break from them. It is not bad, but some rooms that we were assigned needed a lot of tlc. Otherwise it is OK, has a CVS and lots to eat across. I haven't tried Hilton Marina but people seem to like it. Recently we have stayed outside Ft Lauderdale at Del Ray Beach and Pompano area, because we drive to the port. Some one suggested Hilton Garden Inn (Dania beach) which has shuttle to cruise port. AC and Mariott FLL are both new hotels in Dania beach  area and close to restaurants. We have also stayed at Le Meridian Dania Beach. I liked that one a lot (maybe because they upgraded us to a suite? and it was really nice), restaurant on site was great. Bar area I am sure you may enjoy more than I did, ambience was great. They had a shuttle to drive you around the area restaurants, but am not sure if they took you to the port. We drove and there was ample parking.  Also check out Celebrity's hotels from your cruise planner.

When I go to the cruise planner it states that I am Elite. I wonder if it already calculates the discount or do I need to call?

We are staying at the Renaissance Hotel for our October Adventure cruise out of FL. Now I’m worried it may not be good. I guess fingers crossed. I liked the location and the fact you can get on the water taxis and see some of the sights.

Ill check out Celebrity’s hotels for Beyond.

Thank you so much.. 

2 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

You need to call to get the Elite discount applied.

Thank you will do Helen. Any idea how much of a discount they apply?

Edited by Sea Dog

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

In a recent conversation with one of our clients at work he mentioned to me how his parents use to send him and his Brother every summer to spend a month with Mick Jagger and his children at his UK property and how they hated to go there every summer.       

I felt really bad for him.😜🤣  

That would be a horrible punishment for any child.When I was 15 I wanted to hang out with my friends every day at a beach.My father “forced” me to get a job which turned out to be great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

We want to try Celebrity but the prices are holding us back.  They use to be just a little more than Royal but now - ouch. Every cruise has gone up though.

• Like 1

We’ve stayed at most of the Hilton properties in FLL but our favorite right now is Riverside.  It’s not on the beach but on las olas Blvd with lots of shops and restaurants close by.  The hotel has a great happy hour, I think it’s called the boat house?  Riverside is usually less expensive than ocean view hotels.  We try to stay in the newer tower instead of the tiny older rooms. Riverside is also on one of the water taxi routes if I remember right.  There’s a walkable Publix for wine and water too. It’s now our favorite unless we just have to see the ocean. We can still and watch the big boats go up and down the river.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We’ve stayed at most of the Hilton properties in FLL but our favorite right now is Riverside.  It’s not on the beach but on las olas Blvd with lots of shops and restaurants close by.  The hotel has a great happy hour, I think it’s called the boat house?  Riverside is usually less expensive than ocean view hotels.  We try to stay in the newer tower instead of the tiny older rooms. Riverside is also on one of the water taxi routes if I remember right.  There’s a walkable Publix for wine and water too. It’s now our favorite unless we just have to see the ocean. We can still and watch the big boats go up and down the river.

I just realized we are booked at Riverside this October and not the Renaissance. This is good to know.

• Like 3

During the first week of August, my DW and I are headed for a 7 to 8hr drive to Portsmouth NH to go see Ryan Adams and the Cardinals at the Portsmouth Music Hall.  We will be spending 2 days in the area.  Anyone have recommendations for places to eat? or drink?  Bonus if the place is good at both 😉

dp

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

When I go to the cruise planner it states that I am Elite. I wonder if it already calculates the discount or do I need to call?

We are staying at the Renaissance Hotel for our October Adventure cruise out of FL. Now I’m worried it may not be good. I guess fingers crossed. I liked the location and the fact you can get on the water taxis and see some of the sights.

Ill check out Celebrity’s hotels for Beyond.

Thank you so much.. 

16 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Andy and I need to make some decisions on hotel and flights for this cruise.  
The Riverside is on the list because of its proximity to the very walkable Las Olas area. Also thinking of the Hilton Marina which is a little closer to the port and another Hilton (Maren I think) that’s on the beach.  Naturally I’m already thinking about where to eat the night before the cruise lol. We usually go to Coconuts, but a lot of people recommend The Boathouse too.  

• Like 3

Just now, Momof3gurlz said:

The Riverside is on the list because of its proximity to the very walkable Las Olas area. Also thinking of the Hilton Marina which is a little closer to the port and another Hilton (Maren I think) that’s on the beach.  Naturally I’m already thinking about where to eat the night before the cruise lol. We usually go to Coconuts, but a lot of people recommend The Boathouse too.  

I will put Coconuts on my list. I am really hoping the remodeling of the famous Tiki restaurant the Mai-Kai will be finished so we can eat there. We are staying two nights pre cruise.

• Like 1

If you’re staying at Riverside and go to the Boat house and enjoy the happy hour too much you just walk across the street to your room. Great way to start a cruise!  

The Hilton Marina is super close to the port and in the tower rooms you can see the cruise ships in the morning.  There’s places to eat and shop that are walkable.  The walls are thin there though.  The bathroom doors in some of the rooms are kind of a plexiglass so if you’re with others there’s no privacy. The water taxi is right there too.  Not a bad place if the price is right.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We liked Hilton Marina always love waking up and seeing our ship from balcony. There was an excellent Italian restaurant about ten minutes away with sinful garlic rolls IL Mulino . 

• Like 2