Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

@dani negreanu Thank you for your support.  I can’t believe I feel so much love from people I have met here❤️. Our Michigan friend passed last night, at least he was spared all the suffering😢

I'm sorry to hear your Michigan friend passed last night.

Condolences to all of his family and friends.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'll add that, from the little that I've read, TCL is a good value brand.  It probably won't be as good as a Sony, and probably slightly below Samsung/LG, but it will work well and cost less.  They used to be considered a low end brand but their reputation has gone up the last few years.  For me, it would depend on how it will be used.  If it's a second or third TV in a guest room, I'd go for it.  If it's the primary TV that you will watch for a few hours every day, I'd consider spending more.  But only if you really think you'll notice the difference.  OLED is currently the best (and most expensive) picture quality technology, but Samsung QLED has been perfectly fine for us.

We've always been Samsung TV people.  Haven't had any problems.  I don't think they're necessarily better than LG...it's just the brand that we've become used to.  We like having the same on screen menu and remote control in all TVs.  Both are massed produced, and probably have some cost cutting measures in their production process to maximize profit, so both will probably have problems eventually.

Be careful of comparing TVs in a showroom.  They are usually set to very high brightness and sharpness levels with very vivid colors, to make them stand out in a showroom and optimize the very high quality 4K demo videos being shown (which you will not get from your cable or streaming service).  Some even have a built in store display/demo mode for this purpose.  You won't use that mode at home.  It would quickly look unnatural and cause eye fatigue, and the lighting conditions at home are very different than a store with bright fluorescent lights.  I could tweak the settings of two TVs that are side by side so that one looks better than the other, and then tweak back so that you're preferred TV switches.  Ideally you'd want a more realistic lighting environment with multiple TVs optimally tuned to compare TVs side by side.  Some higher end stores offer this.  Still, a side by side comparison in a store can at least give you a rough feel for different models.  You can always ask a salesperson to put a few models in a more normal viewing mode for comparison.  If you do that, don't be surprised if those TVs suddenly don't look as good as the others that are still in store mode.

I wonder if Best Buy will eventually go the way of Sears.  I originally said that I would not buy a larger purchase like a big TV online.  I bought my last TV online though and it worked very well.  Above a certain size, it's easier than transporting a TV box home from a store yourself.

I need to throw out Cliff Notes and get Bob Notes.

All your info about anything and everything that has bee asked here has been really helpful and very very informative. Need to make notes and file away. Thank you!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Last night I watched the entire season 2 of the Irish series The Tourist on Netflix.It was not as good as season 1 but I will still recommend it because of the good acting.It is a dramedy with some surprises .The last scene sets up for a wish for a season 3.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

@dani negreanu Thank you for your support.  I can’t believe I feel so much love from people I have met here❤️. Our Michigan friend passed last night, at least he was spared all the suffering😢

Sorry to hear about your friend ,Marietta.May he rest in peace.

I hope that Charlie gets better soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

I need to throw out Cliff Notes and get Bob Notes.

All your info about anything and everything that has bee asked here has been really helpful and very very informative. Need to make notes and file away. Thank you!

+1

• Like 1

Thank you all for the excellent advice on TV's and  how & where to buy a TV. This is exactly the first hand info I was looking for.

I am now suffering from "analysis paralysis", which is actually very common for me as I will research something to death & then have information overload. 😀  Sometimes I wish I could make more spontaneous decisions. 

5 hours ago, dpostman said:

If you happen to find this LG model (LG OLED65B3PUA) at around the same price, likely a few hundred more, this has a much better picture and off axis viewing quality. I know you have a challenge because of the brightly lit environment, but this will only make a poor viewing angle TV even worse.

Ironic that your mention this particular model. When I first started this life-consuming odyssey of trying to pick the perfect TV at the best price, I had LG OLED B3 model in mind before being distracted by literally shinier objects, the TCL QM8 & other QLED TV's. Best Buy is having a 3 day sale & this model (LG B3) happens to be $200 off.

After weeks of research, I may have just ended up where I started!! Which takes me back to my statement above of needing to make more spontaneous decisions. I'm pretty sure it was $300 off during  the week leading up to the Super Bowl. 😒. Not a big deal but mildly annoyed at myself.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Last night I watched the entire season 2 of the Irish series The Tourist on Netflix.It was not as good as season 1 but I will still recommend it because of the good acting.It is a dramedy with some surprises .The last scene sets up for a wish for a season 3.

It’s a UK/German/US production - the first season of this thriller series was filmed in South Australia (Adelaide/Port Augusta/Peterborough/Flinders Ranges) starring Irish actor Jamie Dornan.  Haven’t watched season 2 yet and wasn’t aware filming had moved to Ireland. Thanks for the reminder 

• Like 4

We currently have a shortage of carbon dioxide on the east coast of Australia due to supply chain & other issues.  Explains why our  soft drink aisles in our major supermarkets have been looking a little bare recently.  Adding it to the list of things I’ve never thought about before….

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I am now suffering from "analysis paralysis", which is actually very common for me as I will research something to death & then have information overload. 😀  Sometimes I wish I could make more spontaneous decisions. 

I have a similar problem, also known as FOMO...fear of missing out.  I hate if I buy something, no matter the price but especially for more expensive things, only to find later that I could have bought something better.  As a result, I way over analyze.  I just spent 15 minutes looking at different types of wood chips for a cocktail smoker on Amazon. 🤣  One of several things that I'm trying to let go of in retirement so that I enjoy life better.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I really like B &H Photo in Manhattan

B&H Photo has been a favorite online store for me for a very long time. I have purchased lots of electronics and photography equipment from them.  I bet it's a cool store to visit. Most of the time I got the best price there but on occasion I have paid more to them because of trust and service. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Thank you all for the excellent advice on TV's and  how & where to buy a TV. This is exactly the first hand info I was looking for.

Ironic that your mention this particular model. When I first started this life-consuming odyssey of trying to pick the perfect TV at the best price, I had LG OLED B3 model in mind before being distracted by literally shinier objects, the TCL QM8 & other QLED TV's. Best Buy is having a 3 day sale & this model (LG B3) happens to be $200 off.

After weeks of research, I may have just ended up where I started!! Which takes me back to my statement above of needing to make more spontaneous decisions. I'm pretty sure it was $300 off during  the week leading up to the Super Bowl. 😒. Not a big deal but mildly annoyed at myself.

The LG B3 65" is currently on sale at B&H Photo, $1,100 OFF.  The LG B3 77" is $1,500 off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

@DaniDanielle

Oh dear, Marietta, so sorry 😢 that your friend passed and that Charlie is still not feeling well. Hugs (((💔))) and prayers🙏 for you and Charlie. 
❤️ Sue 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I am so sorry to hear that your Michigan friend passed, Marietta.  May he Rest in Peace. 🙏  How is his wife doing?

Is Charlie feeling any better today?  How are you doing?❤️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I have a similar problem, also known as FOMO...fear of missing out.  I hate if I buy something, no matter the price but especially for more expensive things, only to find later that I could have bought something better.  As a result, I way over analyze.  I just spent 15 minutes looking at different types of wood chips for a cocktail smoker on Amazon. 🤣  One of several things that I'm trying to let go of in retirement so that I enjoy life better.

I share your affliction.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

B&H Photo has been a favorite online store for me for a very long time. I have purchased lots of electronics and photography equipment from them.  I bet it's a cool store to visit. Most of the time I got the best price there but on occasion I have paid more to them because of trust and service. 

I've actually never been IN the store but outside of it. They are closed on Saturdays which is the day I would typically be in NYC. I think you can't even place an order on their website between a certain time Friday night through a certain time Saturday. Has to do with religious reasons as I understand it.

Also if you have their store credit card, unless this has changed, they deduct the amount of the sales tax from the total of your order and that can save quite a bit off your order.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

It’s a UK/German/US production - the first season of this thriller series was filmed in South Australia (Adelaide/Port Augusta/Peterborough/Flinders Ranges) starring Irish actor Jamie Dornan.  Haven’t watched season 2 yet and wasn’t aware filming had moved to Ireland. Thanks for the reminder 

I am a huge Jamie Dorian fan both his acting and singing.

Marietta,

I am very sorry to hear about your friend. Please know that you are always in my prayers. Hope Charlie feels good soon. Take it a step a day, my friend. Lots of hugs to you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

18 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've actually never been IN the store but outside of it. They are closed on Saturdays which is the day I would typically be in NYC. I think you can't even place an order on their website between a certain time Friday night through a certain time Saturday. Has to do with religious reasons as I understand it.

Also if you have their store credit card, unless this has changed, they deduct the amount of the sales tax from the total of your order and that can save quite a bit off your order.

If you are at all a photographer or videographer, B&H is like Disneyland.  It's almost overwhelming how much stuff they have across 2 floors.  Just about anything you can find on their website is available to see/touch/discuss/purchase.  Their sales people are extremely knowledgeable.  I bought some filters and a light box while there several years ago.

If you look at their main store on 9th between 33rd and 34th using street view in Google Maps, you can click on their main door (middle of the block on 9th) and be taken virtually inside.  You  can virtually walk around and see the inside of the store.  Unfortunately, most of their photography stuff is on the second floor and I haven't figured out how to virtually go upstairs. 

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

If you are at all a photographer or videographer, B&H is like Disneyland.  It's almost overwhelming how much stuff they have across 2 floors.  Just about anything you can find on their website is available to see/touch/discuss/purchase.  Their sales people are extremely knowledgeable.  I bought some filters and a light box while there several years ago.

If you look at their main store on 9th between 33rd and 34th using street view in Google Maps, you can click on their main door (middle of the block on 9th) and be taken virtually inside.  You  can virtually walk around and see the inside of the store.  Unfortunately, most of their photography stuff is on the second floor and I haven't figured out how to virtually go upstairs. 

If you go to Coco Cay  on google earth, you can zoom in to ground level, it will show some ground views that RCI provided Google.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

I am so sorry to hear that your Michigan friend passed, Marietta.  May he Rest in Peace. 🙏  How is his wife doing?

Is Charlie feeling any better today?  How are you doing?❤️

His wife is devastated.  She is not normally over emotional but today she was and it is so sad.  Charlie seems a little better today but getting him to and from the bathroom is a chore.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

So sorry to read this. ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

So sorry to hear that Marietta.   May he RIP. 

I hope Charlie is getting stronger everyday.   Sending our love and a big hug ((((((💕)))))

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure the sales guy @ Best Buy regrets asking "Can I help you?" 90 minutes later, I'm sure we talked about every TV under the sun. I think I heard him muttering under his breath and shaking his  as I left.

Just kidding, he could talked all weekend about TVs. A true professional. Meanwhile,my brain hurts. In addition to new stuff, I  also watch a lot of older stuff (think Seinfeld & old John Wayne movies). Apparently a TV that is good at upscaling should be my priority.  So forget about OLED, QLED, ,and mini-LED, it's all about upscaling older content to 4k. Of course,  the high priced Sony is best at this. So guess what's on top of my list right now.

Did I mention my brain hurts? Although honestly,  whatever I buy will be light years better than what I'm replacing. Gotta keep that in mind. 

I think I need a nap.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 10