Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

While we're on the topic of Port Canaveral...do people here prefer Fishlips or Grills?  My kids will probably eat at one of the other the night before our cruise.

Fishlips is the only one of those two we have eaten at.  We thought it was good.

We were going to try Grills to get a comparison, when we were there for our Utopia sailing, but the grandkids wanted someplace closer so they could get back to the pool.  

We ended up at the vacation club restaurant across the street from the Holiday Inn Express. Had a table near the outside bar and pool which was nice, and their food was good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

While we're on the topic of Port Canaveral...do people here prefer Fishlips or Grills?  My kids will probably eat at one of the other the night before our cruise.

We have eaten at both Grills and Fishlips.  We prefer Grills.  We have had much better service and food there.  We have eaten downstairs, inside at Fishlips and outside, upstairs at Fishlips.  Upstairs is great for viewing the ships leave and our food that day was hot.  Service was okay, a little slow, but it was crazy busy with large groups up there.  The first time we ate there inside, we had to send two meals back because they were cold and overcooked.  We also had a drink served in a cracked glass. 

Given a choice, I would go to Grills, but I would go back to Fishlips if it was because we were meeting a rollcall again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

DH likes to sit at the bar to socialize.  We have tried multiple times at Grills and never could find a seat.  Fishlips upstairs we have had luck so have gone there mostly.  Nothing to rave about but all has been good.  Great place to watch the ships leave port if the timing works.  They are almost next to each other so have them go take a look and see what they like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

How are you sending them? 

See below.

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Are you using Samsung Messaging or Google Messages? Samsung is phasing out their messaging app for who knows why. If you are not using the Google Messaging app give it a try. I have no problem sending texts with photos to I-Phone users.

Thanks for the advice, OB.

Apparently, I'm using Google Messaging app since I have it installed and the icon for that app is the one I bring up when I want to text.

BTW I can send and receive regular word texts from and to iPhone users but can't send pictures.  It worked for 4 years and just started getting "can't load attachment" recently.

My deer story. I was driving past the high school on my way to work. I was only going about 15 or 20 because of the kids and drop off traffic. He was leaping, and I only saw him for an instant coming out of the sun. 

And then this brown, furry, flattened face smashed into my driver’s side window. I made gibbering noises and my feet came off the pedals as I tried to climb into the passenger side with my seat belt on as I steered towards the curb. I just sat there until a man came up to hand me my side mirror. He was brushing deer ticks off the window with his sleeve. 

The window wouldn’t go down, so I got out of the car and looked back. There was a beautiful buck laying across the lane and cars were going slowly around him. I started crying uncontrollably. One of the kids yelled, “Wow lady, that deer ran right into your car!”. The whole side was smashed in and punctured from his antlers. 

Campus security came and said they had called Animal Control. I was standing there holding my mirror and crying. As we watched, the deer stood up and spread his legs and shook himself all over like a wet dog, and then he trotted off. 

I went home and didn’t go to work. Animal Control later said they didn’t find him. $5000 damage to the car. Our insurance agent said that deer strikes are not uncommon and at that time, Pennsylvania had the most of them. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The only overpopulation problem this world has is with people but let's kill the deer, kill the wolves, kill the bears...

I will say that there are two wild animals that need to be thinned out where I live.  Number 1 Deer!  It used to be a rare moment to see one.  Now it is a rare trip to our lake house, where I don't almost hit one in the car.  I would guess, that on that 35 mile trip.  There are 2 dozen carcasses rotting on the side of the road.  Figure average damage of $3000 to fix the car if you are lucky.  that is about $60,000 worth of damage.  

Number 2 Canadian Geese.  I don't remember seeing these at all as a kid.  If we did they were migrating.  Now they live here year round.  Playing golf means if your course has water on it you will be walking on goose poop.  It is every where.  

I don't hunt, and I don't like goose.  That said....

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Are you using Samsung Messaging or Google Messages? Samsung is phasing out their messaging app for who knows why. If you are not using the Google Messaging app give it a try. I have no problem sending texts with photos to I-Phone users.

I'm still using Samsung Messenging although my phone keeps prompting me to use Google Messages.  Says it's safer & has more features. 

Do you notice any significant difference?

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

See below.

Apparently, I'm using Google Messaging app since I have it installed and the icon for that app is the one I bring up when I want to text.

BTW I can send and receive regular word texts from and to iPhone users but can't send pictures.  It worked for 4 years and just started getting "can't load attachment" recently.

Bonnie - If you haven't done so recently, I'd try turning off and then back on your phone.  Most people never turn off their phone.  Apps that slightly misbehave can causing a buildup of memory or other issues on a phone that eventually can lead to other problems over time.  

Whether it's a phone, a tablet, a computer, or many other electronic devices with computer chips in them, the first troubleshooting step should be to reboot.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

See below.

Also make sure your attachments are not too large. There is a size limit, which I can't remember, and if you exceed it that is exactly the message you get.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'm still using Samsung Messenging although my phone keeps prompting me to use Google Messages.  Says it's safer & has more features. 

Do you notice any significant difference?

I never used the Samsung app much so I can't really compare. When I got my S22 Google messaging was the most visible button and I just got into the habit of using it. It does what I need it to.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

honestly if there are 6-8 of you - it’s unfair on everyone else who wants to take a SINGLE photo being forced to wait because each of your family members want to do a heart sign, a peace sign, duck lips, fix their hair, change position etc etc

Not to mention all the various combinations of 6-8 people.

"Okay, first you 3, then the next 3. Okay, now you 2 & then we'll do the other 4 together, then we'll line every one up by age order, then next will be by size order, etc, etc,"

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Our kids are joining us on Wonder in a couple of weeks out of PC.  They're flying in a day early and staying at the Residence Inn Cape Canaveral.  We're driving down the morning of the cruise since it's only 3 hours. 

@helen haywood

I stayed at Residence Inn for my cruise this past August, mostly because I needed to keep my Marriott status active. I can highly recommend it. Reasonable price, clean, quiet, friendly staff and great free breakfast that's kept fresh. And 24/7 coffee in the lobby for those of us that can't sleep the night before a cruise.

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/mlbts-towneplace-suites-cape-canaveral-cocoa-beach/overview/

I've booked an additional night, before the deal that Ken got us "Bellas"...

I may need to check into this. That was my second choice for this past Aug cruise & is fairly close to the Residence Inn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Bonnie - If you haven't done so recently, I'd try turning off and then back on your phone.  Most people never turn off their phone.  Apps that slightly misbehave can causing a buildup of memory or other issues on a phone that eventually can lead to other problems over time.  

Whether it's a phone, a tablet, a computer, or many other electronic devices with computer chips in them, the first troubleshooting step should be to reboot.  

Agree entirely. 

Do you have more than one iPhone friend who can’t receive? 

Have you, or they done an update recently?

Hard reboot can work wonders! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I may need to check into this. That was my second choice for this past Aug cruise & is fairly close to the Residence Inn.

@HBE4

There is a deal for the nights of January 31st and February 2nd for Bella's folks (there is a link to book the group rate). I assume some will arrive 2 days before and the majority on the last day.

I think I'll be the pioneer, arriving on January 30, since getting there on 31st will cost an additional 1K.😢 I've bought the ticket last Fridays, the moment I gathered all my available points, and I was very lucky, since then the price shoot up more than 1500$. It's a cynical move on the part of ElAl, since the date of my payment, more American companies cancelled and ElAl remained the "single kid in town"....

If there are peps arriving 2 days before the cruise, it will be nice to get together.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I will say that there are two wild animals that need to be thinned out where I live.  Number 1 Deer!  It used to be a rare moment to see one.  Now it is a rare trip to our lake house, where I don't almost hit one in the car.  I would guess, that on that 35 mile trip.  There are 2 dozen carcasses rotting on the side of the road.  Figure average damage of $3000 to fix the car if you are lucky.  that is about $60,000 worth of damage.  

Number 2 Canadian Geese.  I don't remember seeing these at all as a kid.  If we did they were migrating.  Now they live here year round.  Playing golf means if your course has water on it you will be walking on goose poop.  It is every where.  

I don't hunt, and I don't like goose.  That said....

I 1000% agree with this.  There are parks by me that are practically unusable due to the amount of goose poop.  And any plan to discourage them is always met with resistance.  I'm not talking about culling or thinning the flock but just trying to get them to go elsewhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

@HBE4

There is a deal for the nights of January 31st and February 2nd for Bella's folks (there is a link to book the group rate). I assume some will arrive 2 days before and the majority on the last day.

I think I'll be the pioneer, arriving on January 30, since getting there on 31st will cost an additional 1K.😢 I've bought the ticket last Fridays, the moment I gathered all my available points, and I was very lucky, since then the price shoot up more than 1500$. It's a cynical move on the part of ElAl, since the date of my payment, more American companies cancelled and ElAl remained the "single kid in town"....

If there are peps arriving 2 days before the cruise, it will be nice to get together.

We are going down on Jan 31st and staying at the TownePlace Suites.  If I remember correctly we can leave our car there and shuttle to the port.  February 2nd we plan to go the Kennedy Space Center.  It would be great to get together sometime during those dates.  Please let me know the plans.  Also anything we are doing on the cruise.  

• Like 1

I've: 1) hit deer, 2) had deer hit me and 3) also ran over a already deceased deer that was in the middle of the highway.

#1 cause $10,000 damage to the car. Parking sensors and HID headlights are expensive. The headlights alone were $1,300 each. Far cry from the $20 headlights I used to get at Sears Auto Parts in my youth.

#2 was only $5,000 for door dent & replacing auto-dimming, motorized side mirror (also over $1,000)

Everything was covered by insurance & used genuine Lexus parts. Or so I'm told

#3 caused $0 damage (other than tightening a loose heat shield) to the car but I had to spend a good part of my Friday night cleaning the underneath of the car.  A story that's not for the faint of heart so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

@helen haywood

I stayed at Residence Inn for my cruise this past August, mostly because I needed to keep my Marriott status active. I can highly recommend it. Reasonable price, clean, quiet, friendly staff and great free breakfast that's kept fresh. And 24/7 coffee in the lobby for those of us that can't sleep the night before a cruise.

Forgot to mention the free shuttle to the port, about a 5 minute ride.

18 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

@HBE4

8 minutes ago, Keksie said:

We are going down on Jan 31st and staying at the TownePlace Suites.  If I remember correctly we can leave our car there and shuttle to the port.  February 2nd we plan to go the Kennedy Space Center.  It would be great to get together sometime during those dates.  Please let me know the plans.  Also anything we are doing on the cruise.  

Thank you both!

Which leads me to my next question: Is there any official place for Bella planning? The FOB thread does not seem very active & I'm guessing we'll keep Bella related activities off the Roll Call thread as it's used by many others.  Our "host" can no longer post here  &  I'm not on the other social media site. At least, not yet, although I can be if I need to be.

• Like 1