Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I assumed the same from the York Designer Outlet sign in one of the pictures.  My daughter went to grad school in the UK (Medieval History) and then lived there for a while after graduating.

I just thought he said they went shopping???  I assumed in UK???  Was it a tease?  I’m slow at times. 😇

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

When I was 18 or 19 yrs old my girlfriend and I went on a road trip to Niagara Falls and Toronto.  I was driving on the Queen Elizabeth Highway that had a speed limit of 100 or 110.  I thought Wow this is great!  I was doing 110+ and was flying by everybody. 

We stopped for lunch on our way to Toronto and commented to waiter how fast you can drive in Canada.  I learned that was kmh not mph!!!    I should have doing 60 or 65 mph not 110+    to be young again!!

I grew up in Buffalo and would drive on the QEW frequently.  I would also drive at 100 mph, but I knew that the speed limit was kph, not mph.  I'll modify your final sentence...to be young and stupid again!!

12 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I am surprised your pubs are open. what tier are you in?

Tier two you can have a meal in restaurants and pubs with household. Think Graham is in the North which is mostly tier 2 or 3. I am in the south which along with London and East of England is in tier 4, pretty much in lockdown though essential shops are open.  Eating out is a fond memory. Don't think this will change in the forseable future. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I grew up in Buffalo and would drive on the QEW frequently.  I would also drive at 100 mph, but I knew that the speed limit was kph, not mph.  I'll modify your final sentence...to be young and stupid again!!

LOL.  I almost typed young and stupid!!!   but it was fun!!!

Just now, sgmn said:

Tier two you can have a meal in restaurants and pubs with household. Think Graham is in the North which is mostly tier 2 or 3. I am in the south which along with London and East of England is in tier 4, pretty much in lockdown though essential shops are open.  Eating out is a fond memory. Don't think this will change in the forseable future. 

Restaurants here in Florida are open 100%. No longer have a shutdown here. We ate out yesterday. Haven’t stopped. We don’t eat with groups and wear our mask except at our table. We are responsible for ourselves. 

M8

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

When I was 18 or 19 yrs old my girlfriend and I went on a road trip to Niagara Falls and Toronto.  I was driving on the Queen Elizabeth Highway that had a speed limit of 100 or 110.  I thought Wow this is great!  I was doing 110+ and was flying by everybody. 

We stopped for lunch on our way to Toronto and commented to waiter how fast you can drive in Canada.  I learned that was kmh not mph!!!    I should have doing 60 or 65 mph not 110+    to be young again!!

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Not sure if you ever made it this far on our highways but on the ramp from the Don Valley Parkway to the 401 they had a speed camera set up about 20 - 30 years ago.  It didn’t issue tickets it was just there to alert you as to how fast you were going in the hope of slowing you down.  Human nature being what it is it became a challenge of sorts to see how fast you could take the corner for many. Someone's brilliant idea on paper did not work as planned in real life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Ours will still be up and lit till January.  Always heard it was bad luck to take them down before the new year.  (Plus we won’t be back till then)

I think some people did that last year, and look what happened. 😬😬

Everybody go put their stuff back up now.   

We have always, in our family, waited for 12 days of Christmas to be up, so will take down on 5th Jan. I always love how clean and uncluttered the house looks afterwards 

• Like 4

We had a very nice christmas day, quiet just the 2 of us.  Saturday we did Garage Christmas with my brother and his family.   Was great seeing them.  Although we had wind chills in the teens we had 3 space heaters in garage and had it about 65 in there.  Then yesterday we had another Garage Christmas with our sons and their girlfriends.    

Santa was very good to everyone!!

I removed all the decorations in the garage last night so the cars go could back in.

I'm exhausted and happy to go back to work today. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not sure if you ever made it this far on our highways but on the ramp from the Don Valley Parkway to the 401 they had a speed camera set up about 20 - 30 years ago.  It didn’t issue tickets it was just there to alert you as to how fast you were going in the hope of slowing you down.  Human nature being what it is it became a challenge of sorts to see how fast you could take the corner for many. Someone's brilliant idea on paper did not work as planned in real life.

I have made it that far, but never experienced that speed camera.  We used to go to the Ontario Science Centre when I was a kid.  I haven't been there in many years but it was (still is?) a fantastic place.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I have made it that far, but never experienced that speed camera.  We used to go to the Ontario Science Centre when I was a kid.  I haven't been there in many years but it was (still is?) a fantastic place.

The Science Centre was amazing.  The last I was there was with our kids but went quite a few times on school trips.  It’s still there. 

The camera was on the northbound DVP as you exited the ramp to the eastbound 401.  Seems like you would have missed it.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

15 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Soooo, has anyone folded Christmas up yet?  Thinking about doing it tomorrow.

Nope, it's not mid-January yet. As far as I'm concerned, this is just the mid-point of the Christmas season.

I'll stop turning on the outside Christmas lights on Jan 6th. Weather permitting, the lights will come down shortly afterwards.  Inside decorations, maybe a week later.

Heck, I still haven't watched my full allotment of Christmas movies yet. Another movie night tonight with the fam

15 hours ago, singinalot said:

I did yesterday. As sad as I was to see it go, I must say the decluttered and cleaned house is making me very happy.

If I recall correctly, you had your decorations up before Halloween? So it's understandable why you might be done with them now. Mine didn't start to go up until the week after Thanksgiving.

14 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Ours will still be up and lit till January.  Always heard it was bad luck to take them down before the new year.  (Plus we won’t be back till then)

I think some people did that last year, and look what happened. 😬😬

Everybody go put their stuff back up now.   

Ha!  One of my neighbors puts up his outside lights Nov 1st and takes them down Dec 26th. I'm still having people coming over to exchange gifts right up to New Years.  It's the Christmas Season, not just a day.

Once I unwrap all my gifts, I put them back under the tree. Then every day,  I'll take one or two out. Often times I forget what I got so it's a surprise all over again.

I'm the only one in the family that does this.

12 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, yes the season is winding down.  My Birthday is Epiphany so, we have about 10 days of Xmas left. 

That's about when the Egg nog runs out so my season begins to wind down Jan 6th.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Obviously, you’re not in lockdown.  Looks great. 

M8

Only London and the South East of England are in Tier 4 total lockdown.

Tier 3 just bars and restaurants closed,shops open.

Tier 2 bars and all restaurants and hotels open which is about half the country.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Graham - Do you live in the York area or is that where you were on business?  My daughter got her Masters degree at the University of York.  She lived fairly close to that mall.

I live near Durham.

Yesterday we were in Harrogate where I had a couple of people to see.

Today was a bank holiday so we popped down to the York Designer Outlet.

IMG_20201228_121814.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Eating out is a fond memory. Don't think this will change in the forseable future. 

Sadly, you're right...

We like eating out, even though DH is an excellent cook (and, oh so messy....).

One of our favorite (and very popular here in Israel) is eating out breakfast on Friday mornings (our week end is Friday-Saturday).

"All you can eat breakfast buffet" in a popular place - you have to book at least a month ahead.

We used to look for a nice spread (freshly squeezed orange and carrot juice - a must) with an "added value", like on the beach front or people watching....

"Those were the days, my friend"....😁

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Nope, it's not mid-January yet. As far as I'm concerned, this is just the mid-point of the Christmas season.

I'll stop turning on the outside Christmas lights on Jan 6th. Weather permitting, the lights will come down shortly afterwards.  Inside decorations, maybe a week later.

Heck, I still haven't watched my full allotment of Christmas movies yet. Another movie night tonight with the fam

If I recall correctly, you had your decorations up before Halloween? So it's understandable why you might be done with them now. Mine didn't start to go up until the week after Thanksgiving.

Ha!  One of my neighbors puts up his outside lights Nov 1st and takes them down Dec 26th. I'm still having people coming over to exchange gifts right up to New Years.  It's the Christmas Season, not just a day.

Once I unwrap all my gifts, I put them back under the tree. Then every day,  I'll take one or two out. Often times I forget what I got so it's a surprise all over again.

I'm the only one in the family that does this.

That's about when the Egg nog runs out so my season begins to wind down Jan 6th.

We are the same.  I put up outdoor decorations before thanksgiving while it was still in the 60s but I didnt light them till after thanksgiving.

We bought christmas tree around dec 15th and I will leave it up till the weekend after new years eve, maybe longer if it still looks good.

I love having the tree lite with all other lights off while I watch tv in family room.

Plus our trash company has a special day to pick up trees to recycle/compost them.

I have a bunch of unwrapped presents under the tree and slowly remove them as we use them.

Like you said its christmas season not just a day.    I'm not ready for the joy / happiness to be over.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Yes, I am aware of the complications of the different tiers and have friends and relatives living under different restrictions presently.

I  had assumed from Graham’s previous posts that he would  have been in tier 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Thanks Sue.

We live near Durham.

We were in Harrogate yesterday and I was working in my sales area.

Edited by grapau27