Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

34 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Oh boy, the joys of home ownership.  Hoping it all is an easy fix.

It will take four or five days.  It is definitely a lot more than we expected.

31 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I wonder if the home inspection before you bought the house could have identified the issue.

We had gotten the inspector through word of mouth.  It seems there's a lot he missed.  Our daughter's friend also used him...they weren't happy after the fact...

22 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Hopefully not, but I have been told that chimneys are very expensive to rebuild. I used to inspect termite companies that were treating homes that were being sold and saw several rebuilds underway. And yes, a failing chimney should have been noted in the property inspection. But it is probably too late now. That's a shame. 

It sure is expensive!  Way more than what I had hoped it would be for a complete rebuild.  I'm also realistic enough to know how building supplies have gone through the roof, and there's 3 or 4 workers involved.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes I think it will be interesting if Dave can even see anything. I’m sure the ship will stay out of the area. I’m not familiar where actually everything is.

We were thrilled to see the Volcano on our Hawaiian cruise years ago.  The Captain announced about what time we would be passing.  Awesome experience!  It was at nighttime, and we could see the Lava flowing down the mountain, and see the steam from the lava hitting the Ocean.  I was jealous of those with telescopic cameras who were able to take close-up pictures.  My camera was somewhat useless...

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Can you report on the Volcano ?

We have an excursion scheduled to go there tomorrow when we dock in Hilo. I asked the shorex people and they said that it is on as far as they know. They said any cancellation would be last minute. I’ll let you know what happens. Lord willing, I will be reporting from the volcano. 

• Like 12

Just now, Tree_skier said:

We have an excursion scheduled to go there tomorrow when we dock in Hilo. I asked the shorex people and they said that it is on as far as they know. They said any cancellation would be last minute. I’ll let you know what happens. Lord willing, I will be reporting from the volcano. 

That should be fascinating for you to see. I hope you do and get some pictures.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I think their itinerary has them at Hilo tomorrow.  When they are in Hilo and looking inland, Mauna Kea is to the right, and Mauna Loa (the one erupting) is to the the left.  If I recall the area correctly, any flow from Mauna Loa would go toward the Kona side of the island.   I think they port at the Kona side on Wednesday..

All correct. We have a bus tour to Volcano national park tomorrow. It’ll be interesting to see what happens. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

DH has been struggling to get tradies to do work on our place.  Paid a deposit to a concreter months ago and the guy had been too busy and keeps telling DH “soon”.  Finally fed up, DH rang him last week and told him he was canceling the job.  Concreter is suddenly available to start work tomorrow…

I'm sorry to hear this.   It was such a long, drawn-out project this past Summer with the guy we used...never again!  At least the roof/chimney guy we just hired has called and shown up.  There's still hope!  I sure hope your concreter follows through on your project.🤞

1 hour ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

You sure have been through the wringer lately. I’m sorry!

Thank you so much.  This too shall pass...2023 can't come soon enough for us..lol!

It looks like you all had a wonderful time on Adventure!🛳️

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

That should be interesting to see!  We saw it from our ship...enjoy!!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

We’ll miss you too. The funny thing is the reason we booked this cruise to replace Allure turned out to not be necessary as the problem we had is now resolved. That being said Hawaii was always in Sharron bucket list so I’m glad we got to do it. 

i think we’re lined up to be on Harmony at the same time as you. Say hi so your great husband. 

Maui is very beautiful.One of my friends was a Professor at University of Hawaii at Maui.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

My head is spinning!  I finally finished our Travel Insurance papers...our daughter is scanning them so I can email the volume of papers for our claim.  

Last week we had a shingle replaced on our roof, and we were shown pictures of our chimney that needed to be repaired.  We agreed on the price for the top of the chimney to be replaced.  When they were going to put the scaffold up, today, we were told how dangerous it was and how our chimney is crumbling...they showed us the pictures....we were not expecting this surprise.  It all has to come down...the hits just keep coming with this house.  Our contractor asked how long we've been in this house..6 years...he told us that we were "screwed" (his words) by the people we bought it from.  He said it has been in bad shape, and the previous owners just had a quick cosmetic stucco job done.  😔

Sorry to hear about the house problems.  Those unexpected things are such a pain, and somehow have a way of popping up at the worst time. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

We were thrilled to see the Volcano on our Hawaiian cruise years ago.  The Captain announced about what time we would be passing.  Awesome experience!  It was at nighttime, and we could see the Lava flowing down the mountain, and see the steam from the lava hitting the Ocean.  I was jealous of those with telescopic cameras who were able to take close-up pictures.  My camera was somewhat useless...

Oh yes! That was pretty incredible when Kilauea was erupting in 2006. And the Captain on Serenade took us very close. About 300 meters. 😃 Just steal these photos. I "borrowed" them from someone else. Mine just looked like fog, with a glow from all of the steam 😃I even had them printed and put them in my photo album. But I do that with a lot of folk's photos, that are posted on Cruise Critic. People that were on the same cruise. Except one of Harry's, of an awesome iguana in FLL. 

Kilauea Lava Flow 1.JPG

Kilauea Lava Flow 2.JPG

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 8

Eric's Mother was admitted to the hospital due to problems breathing.   Eric received a call from ICU Dr. Saying she came in with oxygen levels around 60.  Hypoxema due to a leaky heart valve she has known about for several years.  

For now they put her into an induced coma and have her on a ventilator and some sort of compression blanket on her chest.  Dr asked if she would be okay with this or does she a living will or DNR.   Dr said she really needed the valve replacement and is now far too unstable and weak to endure the procedure.  

Time will tell.   

• Like 2

On 11/26/2022 at 10:37 AM, Sea Dog said:

Good List here are some more. I love the old movies. 

Christmas in Connecticut 1945

The Bishop's Wife 1948

The Shop Around The Corner 1940

White Christmas 1954

Holiday Inn 1954

Holiday Affair 1949

A Christmas Carol 1938

A Christmas Carol 1951

The Muppets Christmas Carol (I did an interview with the great great grandson of Charles Dickens who says this version is the truest to the original story)

Some more that are newer.

Christmas with the Kranks (Highly recommend this one from the novel by John Grisham)

Four Christmas's

The Most Wonderful Time of Year (Hallmark with Henry Winkler is a classic)

The Santa Clause (Tim Allen) 3 movies.

And of course all the animated Christmas classics. You know what they are.

But here is my two all time favorites.

1) Christmas Vacation

2) And the best Christmas movie no one has ever heard of.

Christmas Story.

One of my favorites is the old classic All Mine to Give. It's not on very often, usually very late at night once or twice during Christmas season. I always cry at the end.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Eric's Mother was admitted to the hospital due to problems breathing.   Eric received a call from ICU Dr. Saying she came in with oxygen levels around 60.  Hypoxema due to a leaky heart valve she has known about for several years.  

For now they put her into an induced coma and have her on a ventilator and some sort of compression blanket on her chest.  Dr asked if she would be okay with this or does she a living will or DNR.   Dr said she really needed the valve replacement and is now far too unstable and weak to endure the procedure.  

Time will tell.   

Praying that she will get better,Debbie.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@Luckynanasorry to hear about the chimney.  did you ask contractor to keep costs to a minimum since you need to cruise?

LOL!!  Jim just said that is a good idea..I should've asked him that!  Thank you for giving me a true laugh out loud moment just now, Debbie!🥰

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Time will tell.   

I am so sorry to hear this.  Prayers for Eric's mom.🙏🙏

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1