Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

23 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Just got done doing the MRI. I thought I was literally going to freak out. I did not think I was claustrophobic but apparently I am.

They did two one on my hip the other my knee. They did the hip first. I kept my eyes closed and they had some headphones with music playing, but I made the mistake of cracking my eye open and seeing I was in a round coffin with no where to move I started freaking out. It took all my self control to not push the panic button.

The only thing that got me through it was imagining I was on a cruise ship staring out into the sea. I also imagined my signature photo (from my reviews) when I first get on a cruise ship and I hold my arms out and look to the sky like I’m in heaven . Needless to say it helped but after being in there for over 25 minutes I was mentally exhausted and they still needed to do my knee.

Luckily it takes a shorter time for the knee and my head and shoulders are not completely in the tube. At least now I know I’m claustrophobic . Wow that was not fun at all.

Thanks for implanting the seed!
I will have my first MRI in several years at the end of July. I thought I couldn’t have one and was going to have to have another colonoscopy instead, but my electrophysiologist said my pacemaker is MRI compatible. 

I was never given music, I just listened to the clanking and banging and told myself a story. 
Now I have to hope I haven’t become claustrophobic. I already could never do caves!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, jagsfan said:

Thanks for implanting the seed!
I will have my first MRI in several years at the end of July. I thought I couldn’t have one and was going to have to have another colonoscopy instead, but my electrophysiologist said my pacemaker is MRI compatible. 

I was never given music, I just listened to the clanking and banging and told myself a story. 
Now I have to hope I haven’t become claustrophobic. I already could never do caves!

Mimi I would ask for music. It doesn’t drown out all the noise but it can help. Also see if they have any larger MRI or open air. Either way I would tell them you may be claustrophobic. I had no idea it would affect me like it did.

• Like 3

@Sea Dog Greg , so sorry you are still experiencing knee pain .  I hope , the stem cell transplant fixes you up .  You have to be in ship shape for your upcoming cruises.  I don’t think your MRI experience is out of the ordinary and you did well .  My mother-in-law freaked out and did major damage to the MRI equipment.  

Keep us informed of your progress and my good wishes to Linda , also . 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jmh2006 said:

That is wonderful!  Reading your posts makes me remember all the good people that are out there!  

Even people I've never met.  A friend was sharing with a co-worker what we are experiencing.   Her co-worker, who I have not met, bought me a gift and sent me a sweet card.  

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Pastrami on rye at Katz's deli is now $25.95.  A can of soda is $2.95.

And, IMHO, worth every penny!

Normal Katz's order....I go stand in line at a cutter to get pastrami on rye.  Wife grabs a couple hot dogs (mustard only for me) and Matzoh Ball Soup.  Add a plate of potato latkes. Top it off with Dr Brown's Cream Soda.

And then recreate Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally....or not.

IMG_0183.jpg.1b967c025fcf7187044155a98fddca06.jpg

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Mimi I would ask for music. It doesn’t drown out all the noise but it can help. Also see if they have any larger MRI or open air. Either way I would tell them you may be claustrophobic. I had no idea it would affect me like it did.

I remember vividly the MRI I had before my back surgery.  The sweat rolling down my head and not being able to wipe it off was the worst part for me!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, NHProud said:

@Sea Dog Greg , so sorry you are still experiencing knee pain .  I hope , the stem cell transplant fixes you up .  You have to be in ship shape for your upcoming cruises.  I don’t think your MRI experience is out of the ordinary and you did well .  My mother-in-law freaked out and did major damage to the MRI equipment.  

Keep us informed of your progress and my good wishes to Linda , also . 

Wow! I feel bad for her that must have been an awful experience.

1 minute ago, Husky1987 said:

I remember vividly the MRI I had before my back surgery.  The sweat rolling down my head and not being able to wipe it off was the worst part for me!

I would really drive me insane too Larry.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes I will have to do that and also check the box when it asks if you are claustrophobic. I’m amazed that got through it. I literally thought I would crazy.

I've had so many MRI's over the years.  I hate them!  The very first one I had years ago was for my neck.  I was told not to move.  Okay, I didn't move.  I did, however, swallow.  Several times while lying in the machine.  I couldn't wait for it to be over!  Phew!  Unfortunately for me, the technician nastily told me I screwed it up by swallowing, and I had to have it done all over again.  OMG!!    I never went back to that place again after that experience.  I've had many done of my neck and brain since that time, but had all of the others done in the hospital with lovely compassionate technicians.  Also, because of that first experience, I now take anti-anxiety medicine prior to the tests.  

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Luckynana said:

I've had so many MRI's over the years.  I hate them!  The very first one I had years ago was for my neck.  I was told not to move.  Okay, I didn't move.  I did, however, swallow.  Several times while lying in the machine.  I couldn't wait for it to be over!  Phew!  Unfortunately for me, the technician nastily told me I screwed it up by swallowing, and I had to have it done all over again.  OMG!!    I never went back to that place again after that experience.  I've had many done of my neck and brain since that time, but had all of the others done in the hospital with lovely compassionate technicians.  Also, because of that first experience, I now take anti-anxiety medicine prior to the tests.  

That’s insane! How can someone not swallow? That’s a natural reflex. I don’t think the anti anxiety medication would help me . I almost need to be knocked out and sedated.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Just got done doing the MRI. I thought I was literally going to freak out. I did not think I was claustrophobic but apparently I am.

They did two one on my hip the other my knee. They did the hip first. I kept my eyes closed and they had some headphones with music playing, but I made the mistake of cracking my eye open and seeing I was in a round coffin with no where to move I started freaking out. It took all my self control to not push the panic button.

The only thing that got me through it was imagining I was on a cruise ship staring out into the sea. I also imagined my signature photo (from my reviews) when I first get on a cruise ship and I hold my arms out and look to the sky like I’m in heaven . Needless to say it helped but after being in there for over 25 minutes I was mentally exhausted and they still needed to do my knee.

Luckily it takes a shorter time for the knee and my head and shoulders are not completely in the tube. At least now I know I’m claustrophobic . Wow that was not fun at all.

I'm glad the MRI's are over for you.   I think they are a challenge for most people.   My last MRI's were supposed to be split into 2 days.  I ended up having them all done in one day! 4 hours!  The noise inside made me think I was at a bad rock concert.   They rigged up an oxygen mask for me to wear inside.

I hope all works out for your knee.  Don't give up on cruising.  If you're not fully recovered by the October maybe a scooter will help.

• Like 6

Just now, Ozark_Kid said:

I'm glad the MRI's are over for you.   I think they are a challenge for most people.   My last MRI's were supposed to be split into 2 days.  I ended up having them all done in one day! 4 hours!  The noise inside made me think I was at a bad rock concert.   They rigged up an oxygen mask for me to wear inside.

I hope all works out for your knee.  Don't give up on cruising.  If you're not fully recovered by the October maybe a scooter will help.

Wow 4 hours that’s brutal. Those things are sure noisy. You would think they could design one quieter and more roomy so you don’t feel like you are in a torpedo tube. I’m confident I will be good by this October.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Wow 4 hours that’s brutal. Those things are sure noisy. You would think they could design one quieter and more roomy so you don’t feel like you are in a torpedo tube. I’m confident I will be good by this October.

I did get about an hour break between the first two and last two.  😅 

• Like 2

Just now, singinalot said:

Bosch for dishwasher all the way. Never a single spot on my wine glasses. 🤣

we’re looking at the TA on Oasis next fall! some folks we met on the 2019 Jewel cruise are going to be on it, so it would be a bit of a reunion.

Have heard good things about Bosch.  

Transatlantic cruises are so great    If doing the westbound, close  to our symphony TA in 2018.    Good prices as well 

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Continuing knee saga. Well the right knee is good now the left knee is toast. I have already had a hyaluronic acid injection (gel that helps lubricate joint) and an Cortisone injection. I was doing pretty good until last week when my left knee just blew up. I can't walk very well or even bend it very far. I'm off in a few minutes to get an MRI to send to my brother (doctor who pioneered the use of ultra sound to diagnose sports injuries) and his friend the doctor who gave me the injections. I'm leaning towards getting a Bone Marrow stem cell transplant instead of a another total knee replacement. The only problem insurance will not cover it. Average cost is $5-8K. Luckily my brother said he will do it at cost. I really need something to work as we have cruises in October and next April. I need a good working knee. Now if only we can get Linda's back problems better. Thanks for listening to me rant.

I hope your knee gets better with that marrow cell transplant. Amazing what can be done now. Nice to have brother who's a doctor.

Rant away...that's why we're family.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, jagsfan said:

You have all of the joy of a new home!

I think the fireplace is absolutely perfect, and so is the kitchen. 
The microwave worked out beautifully, perfect height, and the creative vent puts it over the top!

Any cook would  love the kitchen, and a non-cook would be inspired to begin!

Thanks, My Wife and I love the fireplace now. Such a huge change.

My Wife is only 5ft tall, so the placement of the Microwave was a big deal. My Wife always had trouble using the microwave we had overtop our old electric range. So by putting the Microwave/oven where we did allowed us to put it in a lower position.

This microwave also opens from the top down and not left to right like most over the top range type microwaves do.

So it was important to get it in the right height so she can use it. It's perfect now, in the drawer below the microwave we keep hot plates, so they are in a handy position.

My Wife picked out the vent cover on Esty, looks much better then the original metal one. Our contractor paint matched it to the cabinet color and put 2 hinges on it so I can just open it like a door and change the filter inside. Very Easy!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1153157473/return-grill-cover-air-supply-cover?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=829911177+return+grill+return&ref=sr_gallery-1-7&frs=1&cns=1&organic_search_click=1

6 hours ago, Arzeena said:

You said that right!
I, a recently turned "non cook", would be terrified of getting that absolutely gorgeous Architectural Digest edition of a kitchen dirty!

At least that would be my excuse to get out of the cooking.😁

But I do LOVE that remodel. Jimbo may you Mrs make many happy meals there!

My Wife and both love cooking so this kitchen gives us plenty of room to both work in it at the same time.

.I told her we can't keep worrying about getting it dirty so we just clean up messes as we go.

So far that hasn't been an issue keeping it clean. Finding the brick floor is also very forgiving too, once a week I get out the vacuum cleaner with a hose and brush on the end of it and vacuum up any crumbs, etc.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, maggieq said:

Transatlantic cruises are so great    If doing the westbound, close  to our symphony TA in 2018.    Good prices as well 

We replaced our Bosch with a new Bosch because my wife wanted new appliances with new kitchen, mistake was we went with three drawer , two drawer was a better option for fitting things.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, maggieq said:

We recently replaced our dishwasher.  I asked just about everyone what kind they had and what they did and didn't like.  Just about everyone who has a Bosch had the same comments, cleans very well, extremely quiet but a pain in the a$$ to load, none would get it again.  We ended with a  Kitchen Aid, so far loving it.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

After our lastSamsung microwave purchase we are now anti-Samsung appliances too.

18 minutes ago, maggieq said:

@singinalot   Really?  We are just starting to do research on replacing all kitchen appliances. Would be very interested in recommendations.  

next cruise? 😊 

I really dislike our Samsung dryer.  I got it because I wanted a bigger dryer for my king size quilt.  Many times some of the clothes will have a damp spot here and there, so I wind up putting the clothes back in for another 20 minutes or so.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, George C said:

We replaced our Bosch with a new Bosch because my wife wanted new appliances with new kitchen, mistake was we went with three drawer , two drawer was a better option for fitting things.

Interesting, pretty sure most I know have the 3rd rack in their Bosch.  Ours has 3, the middle one adjustable.

4 minutes ago, akcruz said:

We recently replaced our dishwasher.  I asked just about everyone what kind they had and what they did and didn't like.  Just about everyone who has a Bosch had the same comments, cleans very well, extremely quiet but a pain in the a$$ to load, none would get it again.  We ended with a  Kitchen Aid, so far loving it.

Thanks for your feedback.  Kitchen aid was on the top of my list until a friend mentioned she just bought a Bosch during her home renovation and loves it.   We had a very good kenmore dishwasher  20 years ago and worked terrific.  We then got a ge and it was awful and ended up useless.   We still have our kenmore refrigerator, ge stove and microwave for just over 20 years so I guess we have been lucky with them.  Would like the new ones to match up but not sure on what to do.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I hope your knee gets better with that marrow cell transplant. Amazing what can be done now. Nice to have brother who's a doctor.

Rant away...that's why we're family.

Thank you!