Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

33 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I need a good working knee. Now if only we can get Linda's back problems better. Thanks for listening to me rant.

My fingers are crossed for both of you for a better solution. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Coralc said:

Huh! I just turned 65 too. June 11th. Bill gave me a B&N gift card. Which is my most favorite gift. But yours sounds good too. This birthday age was a little tough, so I understand what your wife was feeling. It is one of those transitional birthdays. 😊

Belated happy birthday wishes to you @Coralc.

I hope you had a great day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cloudy breezy day at LBI.  Too chilly to read on beach so what's a girl to do....go shopping at Bay Village 😃

Bought a new bathing suit at B&B dept store, new long sleeve lbi tshirt at breezing up and 4 books at the used book store.  James Patterson Shattered, Stuart Woods Jackpot, Lee Childs no Plan B and Sentinel.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

What a wonderful feast, and what wonderful church friends you have!

Thanks.  We have so many that wants to help in some way.  Since learning what we are going through we have had so many reach out in so many ways.  We have received at least 2 meals a week.  After that feast Saturday we were given poppy seed chicken Sunday afternoon.  Several has brought desserts, milkshakes, icecream etc.  We have had men over working on the house

We had a ramp sent to us, we are having our master bathroom remodeled so we have a walk in bathroom and some guys are going to demo it before the tile company works on it.  So much love pouring in.  So thankful. 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Continuing knee saga. Well the right knee is good now the left knee is toast. I have already had a hyaluronic acid injection (gel that helps lubricate joint) and an Cortisone injection. I was doing pretty good until last week when my left knee just blew up. I can't walk very well or even bend it very far. I'm off in a few minutes to get an MRI to send to my brother (doctor who pioneered the use of ultra sound to diagnose sports injuries) and his friend the doctor who gave me the injections. I'm leaning towards getting a Bone Marrow stem cell transplant instead of a another total knee replacement. The only problem insurance will not cover it. Average cost is $5-8K. Luckily my brother said he will do it at cost. I really need something to work as we have cruises in October and next April. I need a good working knee. Now if only we can get Linda's back problems better. Thanks for listening to me rant.

Sending you our good wishes Greg that this treatment works.

G&P.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks.  We have so many that wants to help in some way.  Since learning what we are going through we have had so many reach out in so many ways.  We have received at least 2 meals a week.  After that feast Saturday we were given poppy seed chicken Sunday afternoon.  Several has brought desserts, milkshakes, icecream etc.  We have had men over working on the house

We had a ramp sent to us, we are having our master bathroom remodeled so we have a walk in bathroom and some guys are going to demo it before the tile company works on it.  So much love pouring in.  So thankful. 

That is wonderful!  Reading your posts makes me remember all the good people that are out there!  

Edited by jmh2006
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

What a wonderful community you have around you. ❤️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Continuing knee saga. Well the right knee is good now the left knee is toast. I have already had a hyaluronic acid injection (gel that helps lubricate joint) and an Cortisone injection. I was doing pretty good until last week when my left knee just blew up. I can't walk very well or even bend it very far. I'm off in a few minutes to get an MRI to send to my brother (doctor who pioneered the use of ultra sound to diagnose sports injuries) and his friend the doctor who gave me the injections. I'm leaning towards getting a Bone Marrow stem cell transplant instead of a another total knee replacement. The only problem insurance will not cover it. Average cost is $5-8K. Luckily my brother said he will do it at cost. I really need something to work as we have cruises in October and next April. I need a good working knee. Now if only we can get Linda's back problems better. Thanks for listening to me rant.

Oh no Greg!!  I am sorry the other knee blew up and I do hope you can get that treatment instead of a TKR.  We need you to be our guide in October (well at least our cruise mates 😃!) and Linda too!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

While on new homes and remodels, we are going to get a second fridge. Will move the current one that came with the house into the garage. Researching . LG? Kitchen Aid? Whirlpool? Samsung? Any suggestions/concerns with any brand?
Any model that will plan and cook dinner too?🤣

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

IMO, stay away from Samsung.   I have heard many complaints about Samsung fridges, basically all of their appliances have same opinions by a lot of people.   

We had an appliance conversation last week with my Brother and his wife as their fairly new LG fridge died within 3 or 4 yrs.  They replaced with a Fridigiare.  They just don't make them like they used to.

We bought a whirlpool fridge last winter and knock on wood, so far we like it.

Agree on this, our house had a Samsung fridge when we bought it, started giving us trouble almost right away.  We moved it to the garage and it's still kicking but tends to ice up frequently.  Know many others who have had issues with them as well.  We have LG now and so far working well.   Nothing seems to work for many years any more.

Sorry to hear about your knee issues.  Getting older does suck, our parts seem to wear out too.  I sympathize with Linda, sitting here with a heating pad on my back, tweaked it over the weekend.  Hoping your brother can help you out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I'm so pleased to hear how caring your friends are @Ozark_Kid

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very happy to hear you are surrounded by a loving supportive community.  Warms my heart to hear this.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

While on new homes and remodels, we are going to get a second fridge. Will move the current one that came with the house into the garage. Researching . LG? Kitchen Aid? Whirlpool? Samsung? Any suggestions/concerns with any brand?
Any model that will plan and cook dinner too?🤣

As others have said, best to stay away from Samsung.  We’ve had no issues with the refrigerator itself, but the ice maker is a different story. It’s very unreliable.  

Continuing knee saga. Well the right knee is good now the left knee is toast. I have already had a hyaluronic acid injection (gel that helps lubricate joint) and a Cortisone injection. I was doing pretty good until last week when my left knee just blew up. I can't walk very well or even bend it very far. I'm off in a few minutes to get an MRI to send to my brother (doctor who pioneered the use of ultra sound to diagnose sports injuries) and his friend the doctor who gave me the injections. I'm leaning towards getting a Bone Marrow stem cell transplant instead of an another total knee replacement. The only problem insurance will not cover it. Average cost is $5-8K. Luckily my brother said he will do it at cost. I really need something to work as we have cruises in October and next April. I need a good working knee. Now if only we can get Linda's back problems better. Thanks for listening to me rant.

Greg, sorry to hear your other knee is now give you so much trouble and that Linda’s having back problems.  I hope you both find some lasting relief very soon.  

You and your family are blessed to have such a wonderful, supportive community John.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm also an anti-Samsung fridge guy.  Last two we've had both had big ice maker issues.  No reliability issues with the fridge itself though.  The ice maker in our current Samsung fridge is toast, but we still like the 4-door model with an adjustable section, since we don't need much freezer space.  We're back to manually filling ice trays with water and dumping cubes into a bin in the freezer.

I've done research on what new fridge to get and no brand with an ice make in the refrigerator section seems to do well.  That's the weakest point in today's models.  If you can survive with an ice maker in the freezer, you'll do better from a reliability standpoint.  Here's a video that I found that supposedly discusses which brands are most preferred by appliance technicians who repair them:

We're probably going to choose a model with a large side by side fridge section on top, an adjustable drawer section below that, and a freezer section with ice maker in the bottom.  Not sure what brand yet.  We're also considering doing a minor remodel to our bar/coffee area to install a stand alone undercounter ice maker.  If we do that, we'll skip the ice maker in the fridge completely.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

BTW, I would wait on a line that was out the door for a NYC pastrami on rye with a can of Dr. Brown Cream Soda.

When I was a kid in Brooklyn there was a Deli around the corner.A pastrami on rye was $1.10.Cream Soda was a dime.It probably cost more currently.😀

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks me too. I have heard good things about stem cell therapy. I hope this will work.

Good luck with your knee, Greg.  I sure hope the stem cell therapy works.  It's awful how expensive the stem cell therapy is.  I hope Linda's back pain subsides soon.  I can surely relate! 

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

What a wonderful, sharing, Church Community you and your family are a part of.  ❤️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jmh2006 said:

Oh no Greg!!  I am sorry the other knee blew up and I do hope you can get that treatment instead of a TKR.  We need you to be our guide in October (well at least our cruise mates 😃!) and Linda too!

Yes Jennifer I will do everything to make sure I’m in tip top shape for our Soggy visit.

1 hour ago, akcruz said:

Sorry to hear about your knee issues.  Getting older does suck, our parts seem to wear out too.  I sympathize with Linda, sitting here with a heating pad on my back, tweaked it over the weekend.  Hoping your brother can help you out.

Thank you ! Yeah she’s got the heating pad on her back right now.

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Greg, sorry to hear your other knee is now give you so much trouble and that Linda’s having back problems.  I hope you both find some lasting relief very soon.  

Thanks Deb. The joys of getting older.

• Like 6

Just got done doing the MRI. I thought I was literally going to freak out. I did not think I was claustrophobic but apparently I am.

They did two one on my hip the other my knee. They did the hip first. I kept my eyes closed and they had some headphones with music playing, but I made the mistake of cracking my eye open and seeing I was in a round coffin with no where to move I started freaking out. It took all my self control to not push the panic button.

The only thing that got me through it was imagining I was on a cruise ship staring out into the sea. I also imagined my signature photo (from my reviews) when I first get on a cruise ship and I hold my arms out and look to the sky like I’m in heaven . Needless to say it helped but after being in there for over 25 minutes I was mentally exhausted and they still needed to do my knee.

Luckily it takes a shorter time for the knee and my head and shoulders are not completely in the tube. At least now I know I’m claustrophobic . Wow that was not fun at all.

• Like 20

50 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm also an anti-Samsung fridge guy.  Last two we've had both had big ice maker issues.  No reliability issues with the fridge itself though.  The ice maker in our current Samsung fridge is toast, but we still like the 4-door model with an adjustable section, since we don't need much freezer space.  We're back to manually filling ice trays with water and dumping cubes into a bin in the freezer.

I've done research on what new fridge to get and no brand with an ice make in the refrigerator section seems to do well.  That's the weakest point in today's models.  If you can survive with an ice maker in the freezer, you'll do better from a reliability standpoint.  Here's a video that I found that supposedly discusses which brands are most preferred by appliance technicians who repair them:

We're probably going to choose a model with a large side by side fridge section on top, an adjustable drawer section below that, and a freezer section with ice maker in the bottom.  Not sure what brand yet.  We're also considering doing a minor remodel to our bar/coffee area to install a stand alone undercounter ice maker.  If we do that, we'll skip the ice maker in the fridge completely.  

We had issues with ice maker on a couple of fridges , I suggest looking at Best Buy if you get there insurance and it breaks down and they can’t fix it in 30 days they will give you a new one , in general I do not believe in insurance for appliances but I do get one with fridge.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Just got done doing the MRI. I thought I was literally going to freak out. I did not think I was claustrophobic but apparently I am.

They did two one on my hip the other my knee. They did the hip first. I kept my eyes closed and they had some headphones with music playing, but I made the mistake of cracking my eye open and seeing I was in a round coffin with no where to move I started freaking out. It took all my self control to not push the panic button.

The only thing that got me through it was imagining I was on a cruise ship staring out into the sea. I also imagined my signature photo (from my reviews) when I first get on a cruise ship and I hold my arms out and look to the sky like I’m in heaven . Needless to say it helped but after being in there for over 25 minutes I was mentally exhausted and they still needed to do my knee.

Luckily it takes a shorter time for the knee and my head and shoulders are not completely in the tube. At least now I know I’m claustrophobic . Wow that was not fun at all.

I have had lots of MRI’s I always ask for largest one they have and get some drugs to relax me before entering.

• Like 8

Just now, George C said:

I have had lots of MRI’s I always ask for largest one they have and get some drugs to relax me before entering.

Yes I will have to do that and also check the box when it asks if you are claustrophobic. I’m amazed that got through it. I literally thought I would crazy.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My poem was written in 1986.It appeared in my published book of poetry 

and short stories.The title of this poem is MOVEMENT.

He looked around and saw her laugh

The woman with her lover

She has a way of knowing

The world is hers to love

Moving through life

like waves hitting the sand

She met him in the hallway

and held hm with her eyes

The wind got louder 

The earth disappeared

His heart lost its vision

As he awoke from his dream

Very good, Lenny! I’ve already read it twice!

• Like 4

Continuing knee saga. Well the right knee is good now the left knee is toast. I have already had a hyaluronic acid injection (gel that helps lubricate joint) and a Cortisone injection. I was doing pretty good until last week when my left knee just blew up. I can't walk very well or even bend it very far. I'm off in a few minutes to get an MRI to send to my brother (doctor who pioneered the use of ultra sound to diagnose sports injuries) and his friend the doctor who gave me the injections. I'm leaning towards getting a Bone Marrow stem cell transplant instead of an another total knee replacement. The only problem insurance will not cover it. Average cost is $5-8K. Luckily my brother said he will do it at cost. I really need something to work as we have cruises in October and next April. I need a good working knee. Now if only we can get Linda's back problems better. Thanks for listening to me rant.

Hope whatever you decide works, and works pretty fast! You’re lucky your brother can help you decide what’s best!

• Like 3

That’s cool. I’m glad you enjoyed. If you are not already please subscribe to my channel.

https://youtube.com/@seadogcruisesroyalcaribbea4235

I'm already subscribed.  I thought I would be notified when you post a new video?

53 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

When I was a kid in Brooklyn there was a Deli around the corner.A pastrami on rye was $1.10.Cream Soda was a dime.It probably cost more currently.😀

Pastrami on rye at Katz's deli is now $25.95.  A can of soda is $2.95.

• Like 4