Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I liked the original 3 judges the best; Simon, Paula, Randy, although I did like Keith Urban's mellow appeal.

Worse Idol judge ever, my opinion - Ellen Degeneres.

We can probably rule out Kelly Clarkson who left judging the Voice to concentrate on her talk show, music, etc., but yes she would make a great judge.

In my opinion, the first 5 seasons of Idol were the best, but it's all subjective.

I'm not sure many are aware of GaGa's talent.  Her "Sound of Music" segment honoring Julie Andrews and her duets with Tony Bennett showcase her major talent.

Agreed. The early seasons were the best & as were the 3 original judges. The one thing I didn't like - as @bobmacliberty pointed out was putting thru bad singers in order to make fun of them.  Not that i felt bad for the singers cause they must've known why they were picked but the jokes became lame & repetitive after a while. 

I forgot Ellen was a judge. She was the worst. Could never say anything constructive. I liked Kara DeGuardio who a nice middle ground between "too nice" Paula & "too mean" Simon.  

I'll have to check out Lady GaGa "Sound of Music" tribute. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

There was a "Paula" judge (you look very nice today)

Whenever Paula started with "You look beautiful" , she really meant your singing was awful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

22 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@Sea Dog Greg-I thought you would be a good person to ask about visiting Kansas City.

A friend of mine (72) and her daughter (30 something) are thinking about visiting a new museum in Kansas City.

The Rabbit Hole is a museum dedicated to children’s literature, featuring various well-known authors.My friend is a retired school librarian and her daughter is  a third grade teacher, hence the interest in the museum.Since they would be making the trip from NY, they would like to know what other things they could do/see in KC to make it an interesting visit.

My friend has some mobility issues, they are not sports fans but do like history, art and good restaurants. Thank you for any information you could share.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

I would be happy to help. Kansas City has a lot of things to do. Besides Rabbit Hole I would highly recommend Seeing the World War I museum. It's the only one in the world dedicated to that war and located underneath the World War One memorial. It's also right across the street from Union Station which was our famous train station that also houses Science City a museum for young people. 

The Nelson Atkins museum of Art is another wonderful art museum that features all kinds of art from great artworks from artist such as Claude Monet and Vincent Van Gogh. The museum is well laid-out and contains artwork from classic European artist to modern American artists

In the 18th and Vine district is the American Jazz museum which covers the great Kansas City jazz artists such as Charlie Parker and Count Basie. In the same building is the Negro Leagues Baseball museum which even if you are not into sports is a very impressive exhibit of the first colored baseball teams and players such as Kansas City's own Satchel Paige.

Kansas City is also corporate home to Hallmark. In the headquarters building in Crown Center (Another wonderful place filled with shops and restaurants) is Kaleidascope a art space for kids as well as Sea Life an indoor aquarium.

There is also the Kansas CIty Zoo which is wonderful.

For food and shopping the Plaza area is a must see with it's Spanish style architecture and restaurants and shops.

You also must eat some famous Kansas City BBQ which we are really known for. Restaurants like Joes KC, Jack Stack, Gates and Arthur Bryants (where presidents have eaten) are very famous. I personally am a big fan of Joes KC.

There are many other places and things to do in Kansas City that might interest you. I would recommend you going to https://www.visitkc.com/ for more info.

I hope I helped.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, mets07 said:

My only caution would be that in warmer weather, it gets a lot more crowded!! Not sure of impact on snorkeling. 

I was there last week in April to first week in May. I thought that was perfect weather.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Hope this doesn't sound like sexist body shamming but now that she no longer on the show & has to wear those crazy outfits, she can kick back, let herself go & enjoy some good (i.e. unhealthy) food.

If Lady GaGa was to be a judge on Idol, I would start watching again. I'm proud to call myself one of her "Little Monsters".

EDIT: I wonder why she didn't give a more heartfelt goodbye. I'm assuming it was her decision to leave. Simon gave a great, heartfelt goodbye. Maybe because he was one of the creators of the show as well, in addition to the original British version "Pop Idol"? He has soften with age, for sure

I think Paula had a nice goodbye tribute as well. Not sure about Randy Jackson, I might have stopped watching the show when he left.

I don't like any of the present judges. It is like a love fest with the contestants. They need appropriate feedback. I appreciated Simon. When he said something positive it wasn't to just make someone feel good. It was deserved. These judges sprinkle too much sugar on everything. Katy's clothing is outlandish, and Luke typically has a look on his face like he is constipated.

I think Idol is best at the beginning of its seasons when everything is raw. As it moves along it all becomes too polished for me. They should also can Disney week. Lord I can stand those songs.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't like any of the present judges. It is like a love fest with the contestants. They need appropriate feedback. I appreciated Simon. When he said something positive it wasn't to just make someone feel good. It was deserved. These judges sprinkle too much sugar on everything. Katy's clothing is outlandish, and Luke typically has a look on his face like he is constipated.

I think Idol is best at the beginning of its seasons when everything is raw. As it moves along it all becomes too polished for me. They should also can Disney week. Lord I can stand those songs.

Only Disney song I like is the ballad of Davy Crockett , hate all thing Disney except Davy . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, George C said:

Only Disney song I like is the ballad of Davy Crockett , hate all thing Disney except Davy . 

Oh no, now I have that song stuck in my head!  Davy, Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier! Hahahaha!  Haven’t heard that in ages!

Edited by derorim
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

26 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

@HBE4 Lady Gaga, Sound of Music medley:

That's impressive.  It's tough to match Julie Andrews.  Lady Gaga's version of La Vie En Rose in A Star Is Born gives me chills.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

As long as they don't sing "Let It Go" I don't mind. 😬

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

That's impressive.  It's tough to match Julie Andrews.  Lady Gaga's version of La Vie En Rose in A Star Is Born gives me chills.

Yes, amazing.

Bring up You Tube Rachel Leahcar's The Voice audition singing La Vie En Rose.  Softer version than GaGa but this girl is blind and not a professional musician. 4 chair turn.  Wonderful judges comments.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, derorim said:

Oh no, now I have that song stuck in my head!  Davy, Davy Crockett, king of the wild frontier! Hahahaha!  Haven’t heard that in ages!

To get it out of your head, just sing the theme to the Mickey Mouse club. 🤣

• Haha 6

Air conditioning repair. 

Since we purchased the extended warranty through the company/manufacturer we get bumped to the top of service call list. 
Service man here in 45 min. 

Capicitor failed. 
So 

Since it was time for yearly checkup

Service plan renewal

Labor 

and the root of problem replace capacitor

After 37 min actual work time. 

$274.00

House a comfy 66 now

Happy in Vienna. 
aka. Sue. 

• Like 13

7 hours ago, HBE4 said:

But now, I'm not so sure. I think it was 2 or 3 years ago I saw  a report of a former Idol winner that had to return to performing on the streets & subways of NYC in order to survive.  I have to look it up.

It was a singer that went by the name Just Sam.  The way she explains it, she got caught up in the COVID lock downs & was unable to get into the studios to record. But I remember hearing somewhere Idol received some criticism for not doing enough to support the winner afterwards. 

https://ew.com/tv/american-idol-winner-just-sam-explains-subway-busking/

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jmh2006 said:

Good evening all.  Just wanted to hop on to let you know that we are cleared for take off in the morning!  DH's procedure today (lithotripsy) to blast his kidney stone was a success!  Phew!  First flight is Detroit to JFK departure time 10:07am so our pickup to airport is at 7am.  We have a bit of a layover at JFK as flight to Venice departs at 6pm so we will be enjoying the Delta Lounge.  I will check in here from time to time to provide updates and pictures!  Ciao!

Happy to hear everything went well. Enjoy your trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, derorim said:

Oh Lordy. Well, I'll take it over "Sweet Caroline" I suppose. At least there's no place for cruisers to exuberantly join in on "so good, so good,...(more like so bad, so bad, so bad....)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

I’m just catching up- I had a laparoscopic hernia repair on Friday, and I was more affected than I thought I would be. Actually, my stomach was entirely above the diaphragm, so hopefully it’s all back together in the appropriate anatomical arrangement! 

Probably the worst part of this is the daily headaches that happen just after midnight and persist until coffee and acetaminophen. It happened before as well, so if I ever have surgery again, I’ll mention it to the anesthesiologist.

@SteelCityCruiser10 my condolences on losing your very handsome and good boy.

We still have my son’s enormous German Shepherd, who doesn’t really understand why I suddenly won’t play with him, but he’s a good boy who doesn’t jump. My son picks him up tomorrow.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, derorim said:

That was the first record I ever owned.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Oh Lordy. Well, I'll take it over "Sweet Caroline" I suppose. At least there's no place for cruisers to exuberantly join in on "so good, so good,...(more like so bad, so bad, so bad....)

I love Neil Diamond music and his play Beautiful Noise but agree at times he repeated so bad way too many times , when we saw him. Dozen years ago he was great and didn’t do the repeat thing .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

@George C that’s why I want a turtle, one that lives for along time so I don’t have to be sad when it goes. 

My turtle,Myrtle left the planet 3 years after my parents bought her.I have no idea how old she was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

It was a singer that went by the name Just Sam.  The way she explains it, she got caught up in the COVID lock downs & was unable to get into the studios to record. But I remember hearing somewhere Idol received some criticism for not doing enough to support the winner afterwards. 

https://ew.com/tv/american-idol-winner-just-sam-explains-subway-busking/

I missed a few Idol seasons and that was one of them.  I read that Idol winners get $125,000 when they win and another $125,000 when they put out an album.  What happened to that win money?

13 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

@StanleyandGus  Wishing you a quick and full recovery from me also!🥰

And from me too!

19 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I missed a few Idol seasons and that was one of them.  I read that Idol winners get $125,000 when they win and another $125,000 when they put out an album.  What happened to that win money?

I'm sure tax man took a good chunk of the win😪

• Like 1