Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Is that why she is dead?

Paula Dean loves cooking with butter. Must keep her cardiologist busy.  She's still alive and might be cooking healthier now,  not sure.  

Edited by BonTexasNY

On 4/19/2021 at 6:31 PM, A&L_Ont said:

Watching the first episode of season three, Island of Bryan.  It so makes me miss the Caribbean. 

Dinner tonight was easy grilled cheese. 

BD96F81C-BA96-400F-BB0C-30BF01C7E555.thumb.jpeg.c3a78369e73298b0b8f12c8616371f5c.jpeg

Last I heard they put around $10 million into renovating the resort.  Initial budget was something like $4 mil.   I wonder how the resort is doing now?  Is season 3 filming during covid?

21 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

@Jonn&LaLa

We had a screen enclosure build just for them on the back of the garages. I think it's 44' x 16', but don't really remember. It's the same as a pool enclosure. I'll get a picture of it some time. They are really easy. Their care is almost the opposite of house plants. One thing that annoys me is the generic tags that the big box stores put on them. Those directions don't always work for that plant it's on so people give up on them. If you ever have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Gorgeous flowers.  I love gardening, all kinds.  

• Like 1

@John&LaLa

Here is a link how to repot your orchid. I have posted what I would do with your orchid since it has some issues, otherwise hers has good info and pictures. 

Supplies
Clay or plastic pot
Sterilized snippers or scissors. I use a mini torch to sterilize mine, but just use rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.

Potting mix

Or this one.

Clay or plastic pot where the roots will fit but without very much extra room. It looks like it's in a 4" pot now. Depending on what's left of the good roots will depend if you want to keep it in another 4" or go to a 5" if you can find one. I'm guessing a 4" will be plenty. For phalaenopsis orchids plastic pots are fine. Clay can be used also, but it will require more watering, but also has better aeration. I usually use plastic for mine and clay for most others.

First I would get all the potting medium off of the roots and rinse them to get any remaining medium off. Trim all the dead and dying roots. There is an area on a leaf that has some rot at the base of it. I'm sure it's a little bit mushy. I circled it in the picture. The best way to get that leaf off is to split the leaf lengthwise by cutting and gently pull each side downwards to pull it off. The leaf below this one will also need to come off as well as the one on the left lower side. I marked those with a red mark also.

I marked the leaves that need to come off. After cleaning and cutting the bad roots and leaves off check to make sure the rot didn't go thru to the next leaf. If so try taking that leaf off also. If it goes to the next leaf the plant is probably toast so add some butter and grape jelly. 🤣

If there isn't any more rot then soak the plant in hydrogen peroxide up to at least a little above the bad area. If you want you can soak even more of the plant. Soak for at least 5 - 10 minutes. 

Depending on how bad the plant is you might want to cut off the spikes so the energy can go to the orchid. If you don’t want to try to save the orchid plant I would at least take off the rotted leaf and spray with peroxide. You can even water it with some.

Next is potting. Soak the potting medium in water over night or in warm/hot water for about 5+ hours. This way it will be able to hold moisture easier. If it's bone dry the 2ater will just run thru.. Hold the orchid over/in the pot so the roots are in it. Add mix on the sides of the plant making sure it settles around all the roots. You don't want any air pockets. Fill it up to the bottom leaf. Make sure the plant is in there firm so it doesn't wobble. If it wobbles it will have trouble attaching to the mix.

Screenshot_20210420-163234_Gallery.jpg

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

@John&LaLa

Here is a link how to repot your orchid. I have posted what I would do with your orchid since it has some issues, otherwise hers has good info and pictures. 

Supplies
Clay or plastic pot
Sterilized snippers or scissors. I use a mini torch to sterilize mine, but just use rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.

Potting mix

Or this one.

Clay or plastic pot where the roots will fit but without very much extra room. It looks like it's in a 4" pot now. Depending on what's left of the good roots will depend if you want to keep it in another 4" or go to a 5" if you can find one. I'm guessing a 4" will be plenty. For phalaenopsis orchids plastic pots are fine. Clay can be used also, but it will require more watering, but also has better aeration. I usually use plastic for mine and clay for most others.

First I would get all the potting medium off of the roots and rinse them to get any remaining medium off. Trim all the dead and dying roots. There is an area on a leaf that has some rot at the base of it. I'm sure it's a little bit mushy. I circled it in the picture. The best way to get that leaf off is to split the leaf lengthwise by cutting and gently pull each side downwards to pull it off. The leaf below this one will also need to come off as well as the one on the left lower side. I marked those with a red mark also.

I marked the leaves that need to come off. After cleaning and cutting the bad roots and leaves off check to make sure the rot didn't go thru to the next leaf. If so try taking that leaf off also. If it goes to the next leaf the plant is probably toast so add some butter and grape jelly. 🤣

If there isn't any more rot then soak the plant in hydrogen peroxide up to at least a little above the bad area. If you want you can soak even more of the plant. Soak for at least 5 - 10 minutes. 

Depending on how bad the plant is you might want to cut off the spikes so the energy can go to the orchid. If you don’t want to try to save the orchid plant I would at least take off the rotted leaf and spray with peroxide. You can even water it with some.

Next is potting. Soak the potting medium in water over night or in warm/hot water for about 5+ hours. This way it will be able to hold moisture easier. If it's bone dry the 2ater will just run thru.. Hold the orchid over/in the pot so the roots are in it. Add mix on the sides of the plant making sure it settles around all the roots. You don't want any air pockets. Fill it up to the bottom leaf. Make sure the plant is in there firm so it doesn't wobble. If it wobbles it will have trouble attaching to the mix.

Seriously, it is easier to take out a gall bladder.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

10 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

@John&LaLa my daughter was just given an orchid like yours a coupe days ago. I am terrible at gardening and keeping plants alive. The directions said to soak once a week, keep out of direct sunlight. What else should I do to care for this plant?

Phalaenopsis don't like their roots to dry out, but they don't like to stay soaking wet either. Depending on the potting mix and how fast it starts to dry out is when you need to water it again. Post a picture if you want.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

@John&LaLa

Supplies
Clay or plastic pot

Potting mix

Or this one.

Thanks, I'll play with it tomorrow

8 hours ago, Sheal said:

Renee, 

I wish you had mentioned you were a master Orchid gardener earlier.  I would have posted a picture of the roots on my two plants before I did surgery on them.  Maybe I'll pull them out of the pot and you can tell me if they are goners.  The only healthy roots are the aerials and I read earlier you could get them to become underground roots.  I just read now that is not the case so say a prayer for my two.

If there aren't any good roots left or very few aerial roots can be potted in the mix. 

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am not saying I do not believe you. I was just wondering how somebody can have so many posts.

Truthfully, I really didn't post much until I got a Smart Phone around 9 or 10 years ago. Bell was a puppy

• Like 2

I tried tucking them into the mix and put a damp paper towel across the top of the  root that was exposed in an attempt to keep the root damp without soaking the soil. Then sprinkled a few drops of water every few days. When I first got them  I never felt like I was overwatering but when I decided to repot I came to the conclusion I might have been mistaken.

Edited by Sheal

One more question if you don’t mind.  Some of the leaves on one of the plants feels a bit leathery.  Guessing it might be thirsty?  Any way to help it? Not sure what it has for roots.  Might just pull it and post a picture.  

Thanks!

1 minute ago, singinalot said:

I’m thinking I probably rank somewhere down around 1000 🤣

so many favorite posters on several of the boards. 

Reputation aint all it's cracked up to be. 😉

I'm not even sure how it works, probably something to do with the Thanks/Laugh/Like buttons

• Like 1