Is the Koningsdam heading back to the Caribbean

rjbean4

1 hour ago, DFD1 said:

Thanks to the OP and everyone who entered into the discussion on this thread. It has been an interesting and educational way to spend a part of a "safer at home" day.

DFD1

I am the OP and your'e welcome. I have only started a handful of threads and this one has by far been the longest and most rewarding for me. It looks like everyone had a great day watching this in light of what we are all dong being stuck at home. No one was going after each other for one reason or another and sharing info when necessary.  That's what we are here for. Have a nice Easter. All we can do is make the best of it.

Edited by rjbean4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

It was never a "it can't be done," it was a "The PCA won't allow it" - something has changed with the latter  

Copper any idea as to why  "the PCA wont allow it".  Yeah they changed their mind and today it was proven that yes it could be done because she did it to prove it.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

I believe the positive from this is that HAL are positioning her for future cruises.  

Now hopefully they will send a couple of ship towards Europe soon.

I understand the Ryndam is doing Europe in 2021.

L.

36 minutes ago, rjbean4 said:

I am the OP and your'e welcome. I have only started a handful of threads and this one has by far been the longest and most rewarding for me. It looks like everyone had a great day watching this in light of what we are all dong being stuck at home. No one was going after each other for one reason or another and sharing info when necessary.  That's what we are here for. Have a nice Easter. All we can do is make the best of it.

RJ, have you ever watched a sail away from Fort Lauderdale?  That's what today felt like.

L.

28 minutes ago, leerathje said:

RJ, have you ever watched a sail away from Fort Lauderdale?  That's what today felt like.

L.

Yeah I go to the webcams to watch the ships sail out but dont post that much. We have actually sailed out from Port Everglades quite a few times. It's awesome to be on board doing it and I love it when the ships whistle blows. I dont care that its loud.

We are in the Tampa area (northern part of Pinellas County) so sailing from here can also be impressive cause of going under the Skyway Bridge. Most people dont know it's a suspension bridge and when the sustained winds get above 35MPH (I think) the bridge does get closed and this does happen. When it does it's a really big detour. Sailing from the terminals here too people dont always realize that it takes a while to get out to the bridge.  The main shipping channel is narrow and two lanes. In bound and outbound. Once under the bridge it does get wider going by Ft. Desoto park which is a Pinellas County county Park to the north and Egemont Key to the south and there is a active lighthouse there. Then it's about another 45 minutes to a hour to reach the sea buoy to disembark the pilot. We can also have problems with fog at times of the year that can close the shipping channel so it does happen that the ships have to wait out at the Anchorage to get in

We have had it happen a couple of times on the old Nieuw Amsterdam and the Veendam. But sailing under the Skyway is gorgeous when she's lit up at night. This bridge it what limits the size of the ships that can get under.

For those of us too in  our area of Florida yeah the virus is a problem but not like it is in south FL in the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale area and the number of new cases is showing signs of going down on a per day basis for Hillsborough county as in Tampa and for us in Pinellas. Let's hope that continues

Edited by rjbean4

1 hour ago, SedNabokos said:

I woke up just in time to see Koningsdam depart Cocoli. 

Sad I missed most of it, but fortunately my little program was saving snapshots while I slept.

Timelapse videos of Koningsdam transiting

Agua Clara Locks:  https://imgur.com/LeHOwFU

and Cocoli Locks:  https://imgur.com/vCtM8Yl

Special! Thank you!

2 hours ago, rjbean4 said:

Copper any idea as to why  "the PCA wont allow it".  Yeah they changed their mind and today it was proven that yes it could be done because she did it to prove it.

You already know the answer to that; they wouldn't allow it due to her overhanging lifeboats; same reason they wouldn't/won't allow ships from other cruise lines with similar lifeboat configuration to use the canal. Again, it was never about that "it couldn't be done physically" because it was never about size or not being able to fit through the new locks.  

Now, obviously, there were negotiations going on between HAL and the PCA/Panamanian Government while, or even since before, K-dam was in Fortaleza, Brazil on a planned course around Cape Horn. Those negotiations turned out to be successful, unexpectedly, causing K-dam's game plan to change and for her, upon departing Fortaleza, to make haste for the PC. Will it happen again with K-dam, her future sister Ryndam (although word had it they were going to work on her lifeboat placing in the building yard) and/or other ships with overhanging lifeboats? Time will tell. Before all this Covid-19 crap, K-dam was slated to stay on the west coast into 2021 

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

You already know the answer to that; they wouldn't allow it due to her overhanging lifeboats; same reason they wouldn't/won't allow ships from other cruise lines with similar lifeboat configuration to use the canal. Again, it was never about that "it couldn't be done physically" because it was never about size or not being able to fit through the new locks.  

Now, obviously, there were negotiations going on between HAL and the PCA/Panamanian Government while, or even since before, K-dam was in Fortaleza, Brazil on a planned course around Cape Horn. Those negotiations turned out to be successful, unexpectedly, causing K-dam's game plan to change and for her, upon departing Fortaleza, to make haste for the PC. Will it happen again with K-dam, her future sister Ryndam (although word had it they were going to work on her lifeboat placing in the building yard) and/or other ships with overhanging lifeboats? Time will tell. Before all this Covid-19 crap, K-dam was slated to stay on the west coast into 2021 

This is probably a one time permission due to Covid-19 and would not have happened if she had 2000 or so passengers on her.

39 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Once again thanks so much Copper. We are all grateful to have you here for the "in the know" info. One of those learn something new every day moments too. Things can get more technical than some can understand and this is how we learn from it. Oh and love the pictures taken from on board. Now have found a new thread about how the Eurodam is going to sail to take home crew from the Westerdam and Maasdam back to Indonesia and the Philippines. Before leaving will be making a stop in LA to disembark crew from Europe so they can fly home. Am wondering about crew for the Oosterdam as they are currently SW of Ensenada. Happy Easter.

3 hours ago, rjbean4 said:

Yeah I go to the webcams to watch the ships sail out but dont post that much. We have actually sailed out from Port Everglades quite a few times. It's awesome to be on board doing it and I love it when the ships whistle blows. I dont care that its loud.

We are in the Tampa area (northern part of Pinellas County) so sailing from here can also be impressive cause of going under the Skyway Bridge. Most people dont know it's a suspension bridge and when the sustained winds get above 35MPH (I think) the bridge does get closed and this does happen. When it does it's a really big detour. Sailing from the terminals here too people dont always realize that it takes a while to get out to the bridge.  The main shipping channel is narrow and two lanes. In bound and outbound. Once under the bridge it does get wider going by Ft. Desoto park which is a Pinellas County county Park to the north and Egemont Key to the south and there is a active lighthouse there. Then it's about another 45 minutes to a hour to reach the sea buoy to disembark the pilot. We can also have problems with fog at times of the year that can close the shipping channel so it does happen that the ships have to wait out at the Anchorage to get in

We have had it happen a couple of times on the old Nieuw Amsterdam and the Veendam. But sailing under the Skyway is gorgeous when she's lit up at night. This bridge it what limits the size of the ships that can get under.

For those of us too in  our area of Florida yeah the virus is a problem but not like it is in south FL in the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale area and the number of new cases is showing signs of going down on a per day basis for Hillsborough county as in Tampa and for us in Pinellas. Let's hope that continues

One of my favorite things to do on a warm summer Sunday afternoon in Seattle is to go to the lookout on top of Queen Anne Hill and watch the cruise ships depart for Alaska. Sometimes their horns sing to each other and it is delightful! I highly look forward to when this can happen again.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I believe the positive from this is that HAL are positioning her for future cruises.  

Now hopefully they will send a couple of ship towards Europe soon.

What we were told before we disembarked on 15 March was that she was doing Voyage of the Americas (with crew only) in order to get into place for the rest of her season (Alaska). That was, I believe, before Canada announced port closures until 1 July.

I guess they’re still getting into place so that they can resume as soon as possible, probably reducing staff numbers as and when they can.

9 hours ago, catl331 said:

Thanks!  From that 3rd pic it's hard for me to understand how overhanging boats could pose a problem!

The PC Pilots need a clear view of the side of the ship and the boats on the K'DAM and the NSDM give an obstructed view,

14 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

From K-dam through the canal today

92752094_10207349429050935_8620484535462658048_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=07e735&_nc_ohc=RcmHmzZIfrEAX_XEOUP&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=8199e2eb7940adbe8ad5697547ec7ce6&oe=5EB90E6C

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and water

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: ocean, water and outdoor

Thank you for posting this, well worth viewing multiple times.  I am hoping and praying that my Alaska cruise aboard the Kdam in Aug. will take place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Himself said:

The PC Pilots need a clear view of the side of the ship and the boats on the K'DAM and the NSDM give an obstructed view,

I've heard that too.  I have to wonder if yesterday was a test of either spotters (Sometimes we saw a white pickup truck along the side) or a video system the pilots could use.

Roy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Himself said:

12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I've heard that too.  I have to wonder if yesterday was a test of either spotters

I would think that the bridge wings stick out far enough to give them a full view.

2 hours ago, catl331 said:

I would think that the bridge wings stick out far enough to give them a full view.

I'm curious about this too.  Can it be that the bridge wings do not extend past the lifeboats?  If that were the case, then why bother having bridge wings at all?

On 4/11/2020 at 9:51 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Quite possible! Time will tell Father! Happy Easter! 🙂

I came across some information today.  I learned from my sources as AOSUSA that right now Panama Canal pilots are not boarding the ships., They are giving instructions via radio from the shore.  The objection to the K;DAM is that the pilots on the bridge have an obstructed view of the whole ship. The life boats are in the way! Since HAL officers were in charge, they let her into the PC.

• Like 1

K-dam now approaching (and passing) Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico en route the Port of L.A. (San Pedro), ETA Sat 18 Apr 20.

Btw, her Panama Canal transit was in fact a "one-time-time only" event granted by the Panama Canal Authority (PCA) 

• Like 1