When cruise lines come back ,will the customers come back

sullyd

Just now, Perky1 said:

can they be used by someone else?  I thought they had to be used by the person who’s name they were in.

p - that was written in jest, FCC's cannot be sold or transferred or bartered.

If found to have been done, then anyone involved will not be sailing ever again on X or RCCL.

bon voyage

• Haha 1

I have the same concerns as others -- getting sick on the ship, countries not letting the ship port, etc.

But I have another concern, and that is I am worried  my employer will put return to work limits on anyone traveling (not just cruises).  They can't tell us we can't go, but they may well put demands on the return that make it impossible.  Hope I'm wrong.  

My closest friend at work has a cruise about seven weeks prior to mine, so she'll be "testing the waters" with the employer first. 

We have been cruising for 50 plus years.......in the Caribbean the ports have to reopen...there is little economy except cruise revenue...as far as when we cruise again. I guess it will depend on our doctors......if we need a note to board...Will he give it to us?

1 hour ago, llawrence said:

We have been cruising for 50 plus years.......in the Caribbean the ports have to reopen...there is little economy except cruise revenue...as far as when we cruise again. I guess it will depend on our doctors......if we need a note to board...Will he give it to us?

I think that doctors will be very careful in their forecasts and resolutions for a long time to come. But let me pay my respects to your sooo big experience as a traveler! This is really, really very cool!

I think when and if the cruises go, they will find SOME passengers willing to take them.  How many depends on the expected factors - when the pandemic is controlled, when there's a vaccine/cure/treatment found, when the airlines start again, which ports open when, how much disposable income is left among the potential cruisers, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nachosdelux said:

I don't think cruising will pick up until a vaccine is widely available.  Yes I realize this is 12-18 months away, best case.

We sure won't be cruising or doing intl. air. It honestly astounds me that so many people don't feel that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, llawrence said:

It will depend upon what the note says - and whether you could get away with signing it yourself.

1) If it merely indicates that you were walking and breathing AT THE TIME he/she saw you: no problem.

2) If it is supposed to state that you are, and will be, in good health, unlikely to incur or transmit any illness - and that condition will pertain for a sufficient time from date of signing until a week or so after your contemplated cruise is scheduled to terminate : I think he/she will not see sign it.

The point is — unless the note sounds a lot more like number 2 than number 1 it will be kind of pointless for the cruise line to ask for it — and the cruise line should not take it seriously unless doctor’s signature is witnessed and/or notarized.  Anything less is (including a note the passenger could simply sign) is stupid fluff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The audience here, as someone already pointed out, probably includes some of the most committed cruisers in the market and even this group is not 100% positive about returning to cruising.

Cruising isn't necessary for anyone, it's entirely elective and will be negatively impacted by both fear of illness and the ramifications of the depression/recession we'll all be climbing out of.  

I think there will be a contraction for at least a couple of years before the industry starts gaining back lost ground.

• Like 2

I don't believe customers will come back to the same degree.  No other travel mode was as negatively impacted as cruising.  Lengthy quarantines on several ships, vessels turned away from ports, desperate passengers filling social media accounts with their situation, extensive media coverage.

It's an open secret that cruise ships are floating petri dishes for bacteria and viruses that are spread easily among the thousands of people crammed into close quarters.  COVID-19 takes it to a whole new level and the mere prospect of a repeat will be a further justification to seek other vacation and touring options.  

• Like 1

I have one booked in May. I assume it will cancel, but if it doesn’t I still won’t go since a flight would be required. Next one I have booked is September, possible to drive to and I will go. Last one booked in 2020 is November and requires a flight. Very nervous about flying but will go and hope safe to fly by then. Would I book another cruise between now and then? Absolutely, but no earlier in June and absolutely no flights!

5 minutes ago, George C said:

I have did at least one or more cruises every year since 1977 and have no intention of stopping have one booked for November another for February. 

I hope you streak continues —- but it will be difficult to cruise if ships are not sailing, regardless of your intentions.

• Like 1

Some current cruise customers won't return, for various reasons -- whether that is fear of infection or just unhappiness at how the lines handled various COVID-related issues this year.

A number will return, as they've already asserted on these boards.

Eventually new cruisers will begin booking -- friends and family members of current cruisers or just folks who find the idea appealing.

I don't foresee cruise lines disappearing. I do wonder whether the almost-reckless expansion and huge ships of the past 15 years or so are going to be viewed, in hindsight, as a costly mistake.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, George C said:

I have did at least one or more cruises every year since 1977 and have no intention of stopping have one booked for November another for February. 

Even if there's no vaccine or treatment?

21 minutes ago, clo said:

Even if there's no vaccine or treatment?

Obviously ship has to be sailing, also need to get a flight , hotels, bars and restaurants have to be back open I am willing to sail , do not think vaccine will be there in November. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, George C said:

Obviously ship has to be sailing, also need to get a flight , hotels, bars and restaurants have to be back open I am willing to sail , do not think vaccine will be there in November. 

I don't think a vaccine will be available before the stated 12-18 months. And treatments? No info there. So you're willing to risk your life - clearly you have a few years on you as do we - to JUST cruise? Wow.

19 hours ago, clo said:

We sure won't be cruising or doing intl. air. It honestly astounds me that so many people don't feel that way.

c - some of us have a higher tolerance for risk and adventure than others, to be sure and evidenced by a few posters here.

I completely understand the fear factor which abounds us at this time and respect it.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

18 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

The audience here, as someone already pointed out, probably includes some of the most committed cruisers in the market and even this group is not 100% positive about returning to cruising.

Cruising isn't necessary for anyone, it's entirely elective and will be negatively impacted by both fear of illness and the ramifications of the depression/recession we'll all be climbing out of.  

I think there will be a contraction for at least a couple of years before the industry starts gaining back lost ground.

I, for one, Am committed to cruising!

I also understand the 'increased' risks (as there were risks before the current situation) and can accept them with my ability to mitigate as many of them as I can before, during and after a sailing.

There were many passengers who boarded ships ill, sailed ill, passed on respiratory diseases and left ill along with many of those they infected and did not realize it, until returning home.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Some current cruise customers won't return, for various reasons -- whether that is fear of infection or just unhappiness at how the lines handled various COVID-related issues this year.

A number will return, as they've already asserted on these boards.

Eventually new cruisers will begin booking -- friends and family members of current cruisers or just folks who find the idea appealing.

I don't foresee cruise lines disappearing. I do wonder whether the almost-reckless expansion and huge ships of the past 15 years or so are going to be viewed, in hindsight, as a costly mistake.

hindsight, is exactly what it is, unless someone has a crystal ball and refused to disclose the current situation that is reckless, IMO!

I like the idea of planning and executing plans for the future, even if some of them do not pan out.

Without planning then companies and individuals can possibly be stuck in a perpetual state of fear for not knowing what the future will bring.

We can only forecast and move forward and change up when things look like they are not going as planned, contingency planning is in order.

bon voyage

• Like 1

I have a cruise booked for end of Oct 2020.  Since it is a Med cruise; I will be flying to the port. So I am choosing to fly Delta. This video explains why I chose Delta.  Life is a gamble 

https://news.delta.com/coronavirus-update-deltas-cleaning-measures-protect-public-health-and-safety-check-arrival

https://news.delta.com/delta-clean-delivers-new-standard-airline-cleanliness-now-and-always

Edited by AF-1
added link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My view is the problem will be getting passengers and crew to the ships as the airline network will not be anything like we were used to. Many airlines will not survive this crisis. Equally who will manufacture the planes, Boeing was already in big trouble after the 737max fiasco, how many airlines will want or be in a financial position to buy / lease new planes after this.

As a Brit we are already aware of many small airlines being close to bankruptcy, Virgin wants a Govt bailout and BA has laid off ( furloughed ) 36000 staff and LHR is now operating just 1 runway. I doubt flights will be no more than 50% of previous levels for a year. Holiday airlines if they lose most of the summer 2020 will struggle to get ethrough another winter period.

• Like 2