When cruise lines come back ,will the customers come back

sullyd

16 hours ago, clo said:

I totally agree. To be anecdotally shallow 🙂 I had a hair appointment for March, that we changed to April and just changed to May with my guess being it will be pushed out to????  And this is mandated by our governor. Thanks for telling it like it is.

I had 5 medical appointments for March and changed all of them to May.Most likely I will be changing them all to July.

14 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Nobody can guarantee that it will not return later on.

Right. That's why we really need a solid vaccine. If it's going to be an ongoing, seasonal thing then we really need a vaccine. People compare to the noro but it doesn't usually kill, does it?

26 minutes ago, clo said:

Right. That's why we really need a solid vaccine. If it's going to be an ongoing, seasonal thing then we really need a vaccine. People compare to the noro but it doesn't usually kill, does it?

It also has to be available. I last had a flu vaccine in June 2018.My primary care doctor never has it.I had to get it from my Oncologist.In 2019 even he did not have it.

I have been trying for more than a year to get a Shingles vaccine.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

It also has to be available. I last had a flu vaccine in June 2018.My primary care doctor never has it.I had to get it from my Oncologist.In 2019 even he did not have it.

I have been trying for more than a year to get a Shingles vaccine.

We can get those from our pharmacists with nothing from the doctor. Wonder why y'all can't.

Just now, clo said:

We can get those from our pharmacists with nothing from the doctor. Wonder why y'all can't.

My town has 4 pharmacies.Only 2 of them offer the shots. The one closest to where I live only has 1 Pharmacist and he only can give the injections 20 minutes a day and the lines are unreal.The other pharmacy requires appointments and there are two month waiting lists.

5 minutes ago, clo said:

We can get this from the pharmacy at the drug store or the pharmacy at the supermarket. And this year I got it at a County Health Clinic. 

I cannot fathom someone saying these shots are not available.

Just now, ontheweb said:

We can get this from the pharmacy at the drug store or the pharmacy at the supermarket. And this year I got it at a County Health Clinic. 

I cannot fathom someone saying these shots are not available.

We only have 2 supermarkets in our town and neither has a pharmacy .

The reputations of cruise lines will be irreparably damaged.  Already Carnival is the subject of a homicide investigation for the its conduct. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-australia/australian-police-take-black-box-off-cruise-ship-in-coronavirus-homicide-probe-idUSKCN21R00P

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian police said on Thursday they have taken the “black box” of a cruise ship which disembarked hundreds of passengers infected with the coronavirus in Sydney, as part of a homicide investigation into the country’s deadliest infection source.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, clo said:

I have not heard of ANY noro fatalities - usually just two or three bad days.  The flu is worse - I think about 1 1/2 % fatality rate,  while COVID seems to run 2%-3% —but we are still early on - it seems to take two to three weeks for people to get over it (which clearly at least 90% do) but since the infection rate only very recently spiked up we are only starting to see numbers who have recovered.  There does seem hopeful tests using plasma from recovered cases used to give anti-bodies to serious cases (which is essentially the concept of vaccines - dead or weakened viruses stimulate the production of internal defenses).

25 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I think you should move to a new town.  Our town of about 20,000 has three pharmacies which give flu shots - we had to go to an adjoining town to get the shingles shots (#1 and #2) because there was so much demand and very slow delivery of vaccine - but it was a matter of continually calling to discover when they had a supply.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I had 5 medical appointments for March and changed all of them to May.Most likely I will be changing them all to July.

I had a virtual medical appointment with one of my doctors the other day . I remember the days when I had just one doctor, that was years ago. 

21 hours ago, gerryuk said:

No, it tells me that cruise lines are shamefully ripping off customers with FCC vouchers. They want their cake and eat it. They are trying to get their customers to accept FCC vouchers when their cruise is cancelled adding on 25%, 50% incentive on top of the paid ticket price. Then they have the audacity to raise cruise fares considerably, meaning their FCC vouchers are not worth the paper they are printed on, its a scam and most people have cottoned on to this rip off. 

What cruise line? Based on the terms of the cancellation of my Carnival cruise, this would not make sense. We have until 31 December to decide if we want FCC or a refund so it seems foolish to try and trick us by upping the price in this manner, at least until after 31 December.

2 hours ago, George C said:

Wonder if all the cruise lines will have restrictions on passengers 70 and older , this could definitely cause me a problem. A good percentage of cruise passengers will have issues with this, along with the fear of cruising that even some veteran cruisers seem to have.  

g - the age restrictions are to be 'temporary', what does 'temporary' mean????

We shall find out once sailings commence again, hopefully at that time this restriction will be lifted/changed along with the 'Health Letter'...

In health and bon voyage

On 4/6/2020 at 10:13 PM, dandee2 said:

I agree 100%.

No going anywhere before a vaccine is found.
Not going anywhere until medication is found

Not going anywhere until we are really welcome. Countries here and abroad are grieving.
Not worth my $ or my health for a few Margaritas and nice photos.
Meanwhile please give generously to your local charity.

Cheers

+1

Went on three cruises and two land tours last year.  Will be difficult to fight withdrawal symptoms while I wait for the vaccine.

2 hours ago, clo said:

How will you define "normal"? A vaccine?

Yes — reasonably effective vaccines allow us to live a “normal” life - relative to smallpox,  measles, and even in large part, pneumonia and flu.   With a highly infectious COVID 19 most likely permanently with us, we are unlikely to see “normal” until a vaccine is developed.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think you should move to a new town.  Our town of about 20,000 has three pharmacies which give flu shots - we had to go to an adjoining town to get the shingles shots (#1 and #2) because there was so much demand and very slow delivery of vaccine - but it was a matter of continually calling to discover when they had a supply.

Too late to move to a new town.When I told my lawyer that I planned to move here he tried to talk me out of it because he said there was a high rate of people getting cancer.

43 minutes ago, George C said:

I had a virtual medical appointment with one of my doctors the other day . I remember the days when I had just one doctor, that was years ago. 

I being older than you remember those days as well.You could also go to a pharmacy and get medication that now you need a prescription for.

22 hours ago, gerryuk said:

No, it tells me that cruise lines are shamefully ripping off customers with FCC vouchers. They want their cake and eat it. They are trying to get their customers to accept FCC vouchers when their cruise is cancelled adding on 25%, 50% incentive on top of the paid ticket price. Then they have the audacity to raise cruise fares considerably, meaning their FCC vouchers are not worth the paper they are printed on, its a scam and most people have cottoned on to this rip off. 

Assuming your conspiracy theory is correct, won't the prices be just as much higher for the people who took refunds rather than FCCs?  Which means the FCC people are still ahead, since the increase is taken care of by the FCC premium, whereas the refund people have to go into their own pockets to pay the increase.

I'm not opining on which choice a person should make, but the notion that it is a rip-off or scam makes no sense.

Oh dear, things are going so far here! I'm trying to keep positive and planning my cruise next year..Sure we all should be prepared to any complications, but.. people faced so many upheavals throughout the history ..it gives me hope we'll cope up with this one

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

You live on Long Island, one of the most densely populated places in the country.  "Towns" are mostly just lines on a map - they are mostly contiguous to other towns.  It is hard, nigh on impossible, to believe that these things are not in easy reach, even if not specifically in your town.

• Like 2

When our Princess cruise was cancelled we got a last minute AI deal in Cozumel . Fabulous ! DW has told me she is fine with no future cruises . And that's without considering huge safety changes for the industry which may be prudent but will be onerous . 

On 4/6/2020 at 8:38 PM, Nachosdelux said:

I don't think cruising will pick up until a vaccine is widely available.  Yes I realize this is 12-18 months away, best case.

Until then the cruise lines will require medical certification, which many (most) people will not be able to obtain.

At least 1 of the big companies is going bankrupt/liquidation, as will some of the smaller lines.

I love cruising, but this is the perfect storm situation.

I wonder which one(s).

On 4/7/2020 at 1:18 AM, julia said:

Frankly no...  we're done for now.  Not forever, but for now.

I no longer feel the value in cruising, and frankly dread the flights to get there.  The ships feel more and more crowded, and the cutbacks continue.  Just not sure it's worth it anymore.

Doesn't sound like this pandemic has impacted your beliefs in any way . 

On 4/7/2020 at 4:28 AM, yorky said:

Wait and see for our Feb cruise. I do however think people will be surprised how quickly people both old and new will return to cruising. Price it right and people will book. The price of our cruise has risen by 50% in the last week, that tells me people are booking rooms.

I agree with those who see these increases , or the lack of price decreases as shady . Let's see what happens when the industry actually restarts operations .

4 hours ago, Aplmac said:

BBC article...

The bit that caught my attn. was this quote:

"The worst thing you can do [if passengers start falling ill]

is keep people on board," he says.

"The plan is to go to the nearest port, get everyone off

and then sanitize the ship".

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52182509

The problem is that "the nearest port" does not want to let " everyone off" from an infected ship . 

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My town has 4 pharmacies.Only 2 of them offer the shots. The one closest to where I live only has 1 Pharmacist and he only can give the injections 20 minutes a day and the lines are unreal.The other pharmacy requires appointments and there are two month waiting lists.

Get to the next town , another 2 minutes on the highway . 

57 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Assuming your conspiracy theory is correct, won't the prices be just as much higher for the people who took refunds rather than FCCs?  Which means the FCC people are still ahead, since the increase is taken care of by the FCC premium, whereas the refund people have to go into their own pockets to pay the increase.

Hope these FCC issuers will still be around . 

Apologize for quoting 6 posts . A new record for me . 😐 

Edited by richstowe