• Silent (1925-1945)
    • Boomer (1946-1964)
    • X (1965-1979)
    • Y (1980-1994)
    • Z (1995-2012)

15 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Thanks, Slow and steady is my motto

Nerve damage rarely gets better

Sorry to hear but thankfully you are still active and can afford great cruises and 2 houses.

Really pleased for you and Laura plus the gorgeous Bella.

1 hour ago, kernow said:

I'm 54, DH is 55, until the current Coronavirus situation we were planning to retire from our business in the next couple of years but now with our business temporarily closed and us stuck at home bored out of out brains we're rethinking that😀. I think the official UK retirement age is currently 66 or 67 , it keeps rising so can't keep up, so no discounts over here for a long time yet.

I'm 63 and Pauline is 58.

Government Pension for me is 66

Pension for Pauline is 67.

Many Boomers like myself are over 70 and have been cruising for many decades and are hopefully looking very forward to many more years of happy cruising with fellow cruisers of all ages.💓

Edited by torpeedo
  • Like 3

Boomers.

Just "hit" 69. I've been freelancing almost all my [working] life, and still work if I'm asked.

DH is 70, was laid off at 58 after working for the same company for 37 years.

Couldn't find another job since he was considered "too old"...

Luckily, I've always threaded prudently with our income 😁

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Ok boomer.

Sorry, had to lol

Yes, exactly what he does! You forgot the eye roll, though.

What I would like to say to him is, "Ok college aged know it all." That comment would not help at all as true as it is. I have to keep reminding myself that he knows everything.🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Of course I do. Closing on a home in a 55+ community next month. That pretty well defines it in my book.

John,  You are abandoning your condo on the beach?  How are you going to share those awesome photos of space shots and cruise ships if you move out of your condo?  Does Bella approve?

16 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Thanks, Slow and steady is my motto

Nerve damage rarely gets better

I can go you better John, since 2014 have had sinus surgery, spine surgery, L hip replacement, pacemaker implanted, thyroid removed, L iliac stint, open heart surgery and have COPD.  How am I to ever cruise again as what doctor would sign my note to cruise.  Have 2 cruises booked and am hoping they lift the doctor note requirement.  By the way I retired in 1993 and have loved every minute of retirement.  And yes, back  pain never goes away.

I will celebrate 82 years home alone here in FL on Monday.  Age is what you make it.

Edited by Snit13
add
  • Like 3

My gosh, what does it matter what the agreed upon age range of "senior" is?  Pages and pages of this nonsense.  It matters just as much as those who "identify" with another generation and want to check a different box in the poll because it.  Your age is your age.  I'm 30.  It doesn't really matter if I feel I fit in more with a different generation or if I feel 16 years old--I am a 30-year old Millennial.  Perhaps the poll should have simply asked for age ranges and avoided all of this drama.

As a younger person on here, I'll say that I have seen many threads recently about the doctor's note for those that are 70+.  I completely understand the reasons that many push back on it.  That said, there is not universal disdain for the requirement among those who are younger (at least among my cruising circle).   OP likely just feels somewhat surprised that it is less of a debate on here and more of a universal complaint and was curious as to the ages of posters, especially when it is dominating a lot of discussion lately.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

John,  You are abandoning your condo on the beach?  How are you going to share those awesome photos of space shots and cruise ships if you move out of your condo?  Does Bella approve?

Not abandoning, just not full time anymore. New chapter

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

I can go you better John, since 2014 have had sinus surgery, spine surgery, L hip replacement, pacemaker implanted, thyroid removed, L iliac stint, open heart surgery and have COPD.  How am I to ever cruise again as what doctor would sign my note to cruise.  Have 2 cruises booked and am hoping they lift the doctor note requirement.  By the way I retired in 1993 and have loved every minute of retirement.  And yes, back  pain never goes away.

I will celebrate 82 years home alone here in FL on Monday.  Age is what you make it.

Happy birthday for Monday.

Wishing you all the best and hopefully many more cruises.

Graham & Pauline.

2 hours ago, Snit13 said:

We love you!!  DH is 85 and going strong!!   DH is with you on the back pain.eek! . But you're so right, age is what you make it!  I'm just a child at 72 but also going strong.  Let's pray we can cruise together VERY soon!! Wish you were't alone though..reach out to your neighbors and friends.  I know how you're feeling right now but better days are coming soon!!

18 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Happy birthday for Monday.

Wishing you all the best and hopefully many more cruises.

Graham & Pauline.

Thank you.  Scheduled on Brilliance with stop in Dover in June but don't think if the cruise goes they will allow me to sail.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, torpeedo said:

We love you!!  DH is 85 and going strong!!   DH is with you on the back pain.eek! . But you're so right, age is what you make it!  I'm just a child at 72 but also going strong.  Let's pray we can cruise together VERY soon!! Wish you were't alone though..reach out to your neighbors and friends.  I know how you're feeling right now but better days are coming soon!!

I have cruised with friends in their 90's in the past and there was a lady on Jewel who was 100 and booked on a TA that same year.  What can we do if they don't allow us to cruise?  Thanks for the love.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

I have cruised with friends in their 90's in the past and there was a lady on Jewel who was 100 and booked on a TA that same year.  What can we do if they don't allow us to cruise?  Thanks for the love.

We took Pauline's late mam on 6 cruises in her 80s with her last one on her 90th birthday on P&O Ventura.

She would have been 98 on Friday.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

We have friends also in their 90's who enjoy cruising as well. I am hopeful we can all return to cruising when its safe again!

PS  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW!!👏

On 4/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, kernow said:

I'm 54, DH is 55, until the current Coronavirus situation we were planning to retire from our business in the next couple of years but now with our business temporarily closed and us stuck at home bored out of out brains we're rethinking that😀. I think the official UK retirement age is currently 66 or 67 , it keeps rising so can't keep up, so no discounts over here for a long time yet.

You would be surprised, our local showcase cinema offers a good discount for anyone over 60. It's not always the official government retirement age that's used for company's senior discounts. We are 64, Hubby got offered a package too good to refuse last year from British Airways and retired. I'm still working but thinking of going down to 50% hours this summer. We have a Border Collie that keeps us busy and was planning on all sorts of trips around the world when I do retire. I don't think this current 'stay at home' rules can be used as indicative of retirement. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 9:07 AM, Ocean Boy said:

Retirement scares me. I've had too many patients go down hill fast once they do that.😐

I retired a little less than 2 years ago at 58 and have never looked back. BP is lower , weight lower ( ok, only a little but hey). 

Have no desire to go back although have had a few opportunities. Much rather spend time with the grandkids ( except we can’t now), travel ( although we can’t now),   spend  time at FL house ( although we can’t now).  

mac_tlc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1