What is your age group?  

352 members have voted

1. 1. Getting an idea of the age groups represented here on CC

• Silent (1925-1945)
    • Boomer (1946-1964)
    • X (1965-1979)
    • Y (1980-1994)
    • Z (1995-2012)

In Lehigh and Northampton Counties in PA gotta be 65 to get a senior citizen bus pass on LANTA.  The Transbridge bus which goes to the ship at Cape Liberty gives about a 40% senior discount to those 62 or older.  Back in high school the year I turned 18 they called me a senior.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Vast majority of Boomers are Seniors. 🤔

And a ton under 62 retired early.

Retired at 52 🎉🥂

It would be more meaningful if it was done by decades of birth, I don’t really relate to or identify myself with people born in 1946. JMHO. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

The discussion that started this poll was about seniors and the 70+ doctor's note requirement.  What again is considered a senior citizen is widely debated but 65 has always been the most recognized age.  I know of no one who would consider anyone in their 50's to be a senior citizen.

I just turned 60 and no way am I a "senior citizen".  I'm curious how old the OP is.  Because that more than likely flavors their opinions.

Also, I retired two weeks ago because I could.

Edited by BND
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I guess, but you asked how I feel about it.

Retired 3 years ago, don't golf, no tennis or pickled ball, just hang out. 

Retirement scares me. I've had too many patients go down hill fast once they do that.😐

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Retirement scares me. I've had too many patients go down hill fast once they do that.😐

So many people I've worked with retire and then are dead within a year or two or have a serious illness like cancer.  Doesn't make retirement look very enticing.  I'm 67 and still working full time.  

• Like 1

Retired almost 6 years ago.  Took me quite a while before I would ask for the “senior” discounts at stores.  Now I have no problem!  Right now just considering when my next cruise will be.  At least my checkbook is looking a bit healthier due to no cruising.  😇

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BND said:

I just turned 60 and no way am I a "senior citizen".  I'm curious how old the OP is.  Because that more than likely flavors their opinions.

Also, I retired two weeks ago because I could.

According to RCCL at 55 you are indeed a senior.  If you are eligible for senior discounts, you are a senior.  Like I said before how you actually feel can be completely different but in terms of age you are what you are.

2 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

According to RCCL at 55 you are indeed a senior.  If you are eligible for senior discounts, you are a senior.  Like I said before how you actually feel can be completely different but in terms of age you are what you are.

What age group do you fall under?  You can have any opinion you want, but let me tell you when my grandparents were my age they looked and acted like they were senior citizens, most everyone I know my age now, does not.  I don't give a flip what RCI considers a senior. They're just going along with other companies.  It doesn't make anyone "old".

• Like 2

11 hours ago, adidas5676 said:

RCCL themselves consider anyone 55+ a senior, and you receive a senior discount when booking a room.  Your age is just a number, and it does designate you a label-just like any other age group.  But your age doesn't define how you feel.  I know 85 year old's who have the spirit of a 25 year old.  And I think that's wonderful....however for this purpose of this poll, seniors are the most represented group on this message board-and nothing wrong with that.

Think the senior discount is like the resident one - only occurs for a particular sailing.  Never got a senior discount and a resident one once.  Maybe I should change to another line!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BND said:

What age group do you fall under?  You can have any opinion you want, but let me tell you when my grandparents were my age they looked and acted like they were senior citizens, most everyone I know my age now, does not.  I don't give a flip what RCI considers a senior. They're just going along with other companies.  It doesn't make anyone "old".

You are taking the word "senior" and turning it into a negative.  There is nothing wrong with being a senior, as you can see from the actual definition.  The fact that you said your grandparents at YOUR CURRENT age were senior citizens just confirms what I said before which is that your age determines the fact that you are a senior but how you FEEL is younger and that's great!  No reason to think that getting older is bad.

image.png.1379ec7a29c904e4c668af47f69d23f2.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

You are taking the word "senior" and turning it into a negative.  There is nothing wrong with being a senior, as you can see from the actual definition.  The fact that you said your grandparents at YOUR CURRENT age were senior citizens just confirms what I said before which is that your age determines the fact that you are a senior but how you FEEL is younger and that's great!  No reason to think that getting older is bad.

image.png.1379ec7a29c904e4c668af47f69d23f2.png

And, how old are you? You keep avoiding that question.

4 minutes ago, BND said:

And, how old are you? You keep avoiding that question.

I'm not avoiding it, it just serves not a single point to anything being discussed right now.  I'm 35.  And my parents are in their early 60s and all they talk about is the senior discounts they can get for this and that.

Edited by adidas5676

65 is the new 45. 😇 Seriously,  todays seniors are younger than seniors of yesteryear.

And in all honesty,  while I knew the age group on these forums tended to skew higher, I am surprised by the intensity and popularity of the 70+ threads.

I guess at 55, I'm the young whipper snapper here. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I get the impression that wouldn't be your case. I retired in 2014 at the age of 62 from the federal government (CSRS) with 39 years, 5 months and 3 days. Life starts when you retire. Still just as busy and healthy. When I grow up I want to be like my mother. She's 94 and still going strong. 

• Like 3

I'm 54, DH is 55, until the current Coronavirus situation we were planning to retire from our business in the next couple of years but now with our business temporarily closed and us stuck at home bored out of out brains we're rethinking that😀. I think the official UK retirement age is currently 66 or 67 , it keeps rising so can't keep up, so no discounts over here for a long time yet.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kernow said:

I'm 54, DH is 55, until the current Coronavirus situation we were planning to retire from our business in the next couple of years but now with our business temporarily closed and us stuck at home bored out of out brains we're rethinking that😀. I think the official UK retirement age is currently 66 or 67 , it keeps rising so can't keep up, so no discounts over here for a long time yet.

Being stuck at home due to CV19 is nothing like being retired. And even at that we're currently not bored or stuck in the house due to CV19. In our lives we have plenty of things to do that don't require others. Yes limited to what we're use to doing. 

Edited by davekathy

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Being stuck at home due to CV19 is nothing like being retired. And even at that we're currently not bored or stuck in the house due to CV19. In our lives we have plenty of things to do that don't require others. Yes limited to what we're use to doing. 

Are you allowed out in the US? We're only allowed out for short daily exercise (walk, run or cycle) or for essential shopping. I know retirement would be different because daily life would be going on as normal but it's certainly made us think.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We have better health care

Their health and healthcare were perfectly fine.  They dressed and acted older, even when they were in their early 50's which I remember because they were 47 when I was born  My grandmother had a tight short curly perm that she got washed and styled every week, did not color her hair and she dressed matronly.  At that time, they felt there were things that "older" people didn't do.  My grandfather dressed like most men his age.  It was just a different mentality.  Heck, I look younger at 60 than my mom did, although now at 82, she looks great for her age.  I still color my hair and she never really has.  My dad's parents were the same way.  

Edited by BND

2 minutes ago, kernow said:

Are you allowed out in the US? We're only allowed out for short daily exercise (walk, run or cycle) or for essential shopping. I know retirement would be different because daily life would be going on as normal but it's certainly made us think.

Yes, where I (we) live in the US we are allowed to go outside. A lot of what you described plus other things including the essential shopping. Just no gatherings. I'd be outside right now but it's cold, windy and raining. 

25 minutes ago, BND said:

Their health and healthcare were perfectly fine.  They dressed and acted older, even when they were in their early 50's which I remember because they were 47 when I was born  My grandmother had a tight short curly perm that she got washed and styled every week, did not color her hair and she dressed matronly.  At that time, they felt there were things that "older" people didn't do.  My grandfather dressed like most men his age.  It was just a different mentality.  Heck, I look younger at 60 than my mom did, although now at 82, she looks great for her age.  I still color my hair and she never really has.  My dad's parents were the same way.  

Good for them, my point was the medical technology and techniques for what I had done didn't exist when my grandparents were my age. 

And like they say age is a state of mind, but there are criteria we can use to classify people. Gotra start somewhere.

BTW, Boomer is the new derogatory term for seniors😉

Got called one yesterday on FB😎

• Haha 2